Home | Reviews | Tire | Maxxis

Maxxis Aspen Tire

3.81/5 (26 Reviews)

From what we understand, some folks race both uphill and down. Even more ridiculous, the Maxxis Aspen Tire is specifically designed for these wackos. The combination of high volume and low profile lugs makes for a smooth ride and very little rolling resistance, and the dual-compound, directional lugs grow to monstrous proportions at the corners, allowing you to lay the bike way over in high-speed turns without losing traction.

Submitted by goofas7070

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2013

Strengths:    Light, fast rolling, quality materials

Weaknesses:    price, low volume

Bottom Line:
Fast on hardpack and sandy trails. I run with tubes at 30 psi and have had 0 issues for 100 miles. If you are looking for a fast grippy dry use tire this is it.

Submitted by bart a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2013

Strengths:    Fast rolling tires. Good on hard pack. Fair on the road.

Weaknesses:    Very weak cornering capabilities. Weak in watery mud also on the straights.

Bottom Line:
These tires came on my gt zaskar 100r 29er fully i dont like them. Thats mainly because they break your cornering confidence. They have very weak in the corners and are unpredictable. This even becomes worse when riding in watery mud. Even the backside broke out in mud i never had that before with 10+ yrs experience. Would not buy them.

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe racing ralph

Submitted by Sablotny

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2013

Strengths:    2.25" nominal casing and it measures - 2.20" on my rims! Great to have something even close to advertised width. Thanks for the honesty Maxxis. Not the lightest tire, especially for a semi-slick, but its proven durable for over 1,000 off road miles. Rolls fast, traction comes as much from a high volume, low pressure casing as much as the minimal tread. Great pricing from Maxxis. I see no difference in quality & design comparing several Maxxis and Schwalbe tires - so why pay double for tires?

Weaknesses:    Traction is not priority one with any semi-slick, speed is.

Bottom Line:
This is a semi-slick, period. If you're buying this tire, you want speed at the expense of absolute traction. The trade-off has been good to me so far, but lately I've found some full knobbies that roll just as quickly, based on my Strava times (i.e., new Specialized Ground Control) but offer better traction to boot.

Submitted by Derrick a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2013

Strengths:    Fast fast fast on pavement/hardpack/doublewide/smooth singletrack

Weaknesses:    Snakebite prone on the rear (unless you run high psi), poor cornering grip, performance falls sharply in wet or muddy conditions

Bottom Line:
These came on my 2011 Kona Caldera. At first I was supremely satisfied with performance, but this summer has been wet and I now lose all confidence after getting any mud in the tread. Skids very easily on even soft corners, and slides across diagonal technicalities instead of rolling over. Overall I found them a great option for dry, flowy, XC conditions, mediocre in all-mountain technical stuff, and awful in wet conditions. Going to be replacing with some Rocket Rons or Fire XC Pros most likely

Bike Setup:   2011 Kona Caldera

Submitted by kjlued

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2013

Strengths:    Fast, low resistance

Weaknesses:    poor traction in corners

Bottom Line:
These came on the bike.
They are a fast tire but unpredictable.
Great for long distance mostly straight riding.
Not so great for pushing on down hill twisty single track.

Submitted by Panchito

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2012

Strengths:    I always liked semislicks, these remind me of a Michelin Jet tires, but thes are like a turbochrged version of them. Despite the reviews, I am using it in the front with a maxxis superlight tube and have no problems, I like the way it feels, more "flat" unlike say a Python, more round, I tested it in rough terrain, rocks, loose, hardpack, every dry condition out there and to me, it´s a great front tire too, combined in the rear with a Kenda SB8 Tubeless, the setup rolls fast and can handle anything, agrressive riding no problem. Rode it pretty gnarly and felt predictable, no lack of bite, or scary as some mentioned. I can handle small knob and semislck tires well, can´t stand slow rolling tires. Strong up front, stable.

Weaknesses:    A bit prone to snakebites in rear if used with tube, in the front no problems. weight in my scale 580g, it´s allright for me.

Bottom Line:
Great tire front or rear. If u have the technique to handle it. Predictable, more flat surface, good braking, good feedback, I thought it´d be sketchy up front, but not at all, nice feeling, and rolls fast, rolls smooth, bites better than a Python or a SMB8. but also enters that fery fast range of thread design with a little more bite. As I said reminds me of a Michelit Jet S but with better perfomance, excellent straightline speed, stable, quiet.

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2012

Strengths:    rolls fast, handles single track way better than expected, light, stable, predictable

Weaknesses:    a bit of slip climbing steep gravel road

Bottom Line:
Well worth the price, cheaper, faster, and a better turning tyre than the CrossMark

Similar Products Used:   CrossMark on same bike

Submitted by Learux a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2012

Strengths:    Greta tire, using it as a rear tire and it does eveything great, good grip climbing, cornering no issues. Does not wash out in sand too much

Remember it is a fast rolling low profile tire and I am reviewing it as such.

Braking, cornering action good. Sometimes tend to start skidding a bit under fast braking. (kinda riding the dirt) still contralable and easy to correct.

I now have 600 miles on these tires and there is slight wear dtectable. This is a lot of climbing and descending on socal fire roads. I think they are good for at least another 600 miles.

Weaknesses:    None really

Bottom Line:
Came standard on my bike as a rear tire, will purchase again after it wears out.

Can't comment on wet perfomance, have not seen any rain in socal in the last 4 month.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain element 950

Submitted by sweetp

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2012

Strengths:    Low resistance. Great on the road or rails/trails

Weaknesses:    Traction

Bottom Line:
Traction is terrible. For my style of riding it is actually dangerous. I have absolutely no confidence cornering in any conditions with this tire. On the rear, the tire spins out on anything steep or hard (rocks/roots). The weaknesses become more and more obvious the faster you ride, making this a questionable choice for a race tire in my opinion. This tire may be just fine for someone who does not like to push their luck like I do.

Submitted by Kratos a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2012

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, fast, light

Weaknesses:    5 pinch flats in a row, thin, skidding too often, not for rough terrain

Bottom Line:
Definitely not my cup of tea, this tire can't take any beatings and rough rides, not happy at all, only good thing is low rolling resistance.

Submitted by PAUL a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, fast acceleration, fast rolling. Good cornering and traction for how fast and low profile they are. On hardpack, tacky, or loose over hard these are good fast race tires.

Weaknesses:    not heavy duty enough for everyday trail riding. After a few months kevlar beads are visible on the sidewalls. Keep these as "race tires only" and you will be good. Sidewalls gash easily. Stopping power not the best - I skidded the rear on these more than other tires.

Bottom Line:
they are lightweight race tires and for that purpose they do a great job. on race day you can go fast with these. What you gain in speed is the durability found on heavier tires. I have sliced a sidewall and punctured the top of a tire after one season these tires are ready to retire. vs the heavy nevegal i can run those for a long time without replacing.

Favorite Trail:   Mohican State Park

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   specialized captains, nevegals, geax saguaro, small block 8, continental verticals.

Bike Setup:   29er SS

Submitted by Nobbi a Cross Country Rider from Carbondale, Co

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2012

Strengths:    Hard pack conditions and going straight they work good.

Weaknesses:    Anything loose, soft, muddy, very unpredictable.

Bottom Line:
Could be a good race only tire on buff single track. If your looking for a good all conditions tire, this is not it.

Favorite Trail:   Haven't found it yet

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575, GT Zaskar 29r

Submitted by sheke a Cross Country Rider from Gainesville, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Strengths:    Great Traction on the trails, low rolling resistance on pavement

Weaknesses:    None as of yet

Bottom Line:
After getting a few rides under the belt with these suckers, I'm extremely happy with them. I feel far more confident on the Aspend than I ever did on the S-Works tires.

Great Purchase.

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   On The Fly Race Supp

Similar Products Used:   S-Works Renegade, S-Works Control

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper SL Pro - Full XT Group - Roval Control SL Wheels

Submitted by CactusJackSlade a Racer from Folsom, CA USA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight, rolls FAST, runs tubeless well (Stan's rims), hooks up well in the corners.

Weaknesses:    Thin sidewalls (but that is to be expected), Pricey unless you find a deal.

Bottom Line:
Maxxis is now one of my favorite brands, they seal very well on Stan's tubeless rims.

The Aspen's hook up amazingly well... I have to admit I was skeptical!... geeze you can just crank these things in the turns.

These are a race tire, but I run them every day!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere, Any day