Home | Reviews | Tire | Maxxis

Maxxis Ardent Tire

4.05/5 (64 Reviews)

An aggressive tread in high-volume casings distinguishes the newest addition to Maxxis' downhill and mountain disciplines.

Submitted by Raymo853 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2015

Strengths:    Durability, great traction in nearly all conditions, quick rolling

Weaknesses:    Would like more widths to be offered

Bottom Line:
The best tire I have ever had. I bought the pair I have 8 years ago used, on a set of used wheels. It took two years running this non-tubeless, non-EXO 2.25 version for the rear to wear out enough. The front then was used on various bikes, front and back, always tubeless using Stan's sealant. Sealed up fine on Shimano, Stans and Bonti rims. Finally after 8 years and thousands of miles from pavement to crazy rock gardens, it split apart on the tread face.

As soon as I need new tires again, I plan to buy Ardents and never go back to my mix of Racing Ralphs, Bonti XR3, Conti X-Kings again. All fine tires, but the wear out so fast comparatively.

Duration Product Used:   8 years

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Racing Ralphs, Bonti XR3, Conti X-Kings

Bike Setup:   Salsa Spearfish

Submitted by Dave E a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2015

Strengths:    Fast rolling and durable as hell. Wears slowly with great grip on gravel, mud, and dirt. Recovers quickly when it does slip. Clears mud well.

Weaknesses:    Slippery on loose over hard. Back tires a bit slow on climbs.

Bottom Line:
This is a great all around trail tire. I deal with a lot of hard clay, mud, and fallen leaves in my area, and this tire just eats it up and keeps going. It's gets rolling easy and keeps rolling fast, especially downhill. The EXO casing is really tough; I've scraped plenty of rocks and roots, and rolled through sticker bushes, but have not suffered a puncture or tear in over 200 miles. I've also not seen a trace of tread wear. They get squirrely on loose over hard conditions, but they recover quickly. This is a very easy tire to slide around corners.

Favorite Trail:   Meadwood in Lorton, VA

Duration Product Used:   200 miles

Purchased At:   Discount Bicyle 603

Bike Setup:   2015 GT Sensor Comp. I have the 27.25x2.25 EXO TR DC variant.

Submitted by foggnm a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2015

Strengths:    Light, fast, easy to find, durable, affordable

Weaknesses:    poor traction in technical loose or steep uphill

Bottom Line:
This tire came on the rear of my SC 5010c. I never had any issues cornering, though it is pretty easy to slide. Probably fine in the majority of situations, but in mountain west, I have found it has poor grip over steep technical terrain rather, loose or solid rock. I put my front high roller II on the back and stopped using the Ardent. The HR II definitely better on the uphill traction. I would not buy this tire again.

Submitted by Big Willy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2015

Strengths:    Roll like crazy!

Weaknesses:    Slippery on dewey, hard packed clay, but I don't think anything will track on that stuff...

Bottom Line:
I switched out my 29x2.1 Ikons for a set of 2.35 Ardents. Since I have put about 175 kms on them (Canada, eh?). I ride a wide range of terrains from road (when I have to) to loose granular to mud. These things roll through everything. Love 'em.

Purchased At:   Adventure 360, Sudbu

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakota 29er

Submitted by Kerry a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2015

Strengths:    Fast rolling, high volume, durable all mountain tire.

Weaknesses:    As a front tire, it has traction but can feel a little twitchy.

Bottom Line:
Bought the 2.4 EXO 26" version and set them up tubeless. They've been very durable, fast rolling with plenty of traction from November through to mid May here in the dry Okanagan. I ride a Nomad weighing somewhere between 33 and 35 lbs. theses tires are a great match to this bike.

Favorite Trail:   One where mountain bikes go

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   Hans Dampf (great but slower and wears faster) Nobby Nic (fast but weak and fast wearing) High Roller Lust (great tire but too small volume)

Bike Setup:   2011 Nomad with Fox DHX Air and Fox 36. Setup ghetto tubeless.

Submitted by NateDubya

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2015

Strengths:    Stable, airs up tubeless, durable, climbs well, medium roller resist, value.

Weaknesses:    Not the fastest tire in my stable.

Bottom Line:
Reviewing the 2.25" folding version. I am not sure what the beef is against these tires. My version is the non-tubeless version and although I was unable to set it up tubeless the first go-around, after it was mounted with a tube for a few days it went tubeless no problem. It weeps sealant out of the sidewalls but this is pretty inconsequential. I ride a lot of sand, loose rock, jagged rock, and hardpack. I will say it starts to squirm a little a times but the way it recovers and never washes out has impressed me. I have only 20 miles or so using it as a front tire so cannot review its use up front. It has held up great, looses very little air and shows virtually no signs of any wear after a few hundred miles. I really like how stable it has been since everything around here has loosened up with the warmer weather.

Submitted by Varaxis

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2014

Strengths:    Best rubber compound for dry, hard, dusty dirt that I've ridden overall
Secure grip on straights and berms
Quick rolling and turning
Reliable construction that outlasts the tread
Can be converted to tubeless

Weaknesses:    Washes out on flat corners, even on pavement, at sharper lean angles
2.4 so big and grippy that it changes the way the front end handles

Bottom Line:
Swapping out a 2.3 Spec Purgatory to a 2.4 Ardent changed the way my bike handled drastically. On pavement, I immediately noticed more rolling resistance, but at the same time tenacious grip. I learned quickly from a parking lot test, the nuances of the "dead spot" from certain sharper lean angles, so I would not have that problem on trails. Sadly, it happened anyways on the trail, hence why I cannot award this 5 stars. It's a shame since if it weren't for that, it would be my favorite front tire due to how much confidence it gives me and how fast it allows me to go on the flowy trails. I am just afraid of the injuries this tire might lead to, due to its one weakness.

Submitted by Brian412 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2014

Strengths:    Outstanding grip! Lightweight. Fast rolling. Good treadwear

Weaknesses:    a little expensive (but worth it)

Bottom Line:
I have these 2.25 60a Ardents mounted tubeless front and back on 26" American Classic wheels. I moved from Nevegals to Excavators then to the Ardents, and I absolutely love the Ardents. I run these around 23psi up front and 28psi for the rear.

These tires hook up with the trail great. I have no problems washing out on corners. I've ridden so much faster into corners with these tires and they track so well. The trails I ride in Florida have a lot of sand, pine needles, technical rocky areas, hard pack, etc. and the Ardents grip through all of it. I haven't had much experience in muddy conditions with these.
These roll very fast. I'm impressed with the amount of traction you get with these, along with the fast rolling. You can really feel the side knobs biting into the trail. They are very predictable when they start to lose a bit of traction around a corner. The tires provide great feedback during turns.

I've had no problems with these airing up tubeless. It did take an air compressor to get the bead to pop in but they've been rock solid since I got them mounted. I have no problems with the bead coming out or burping. I ride these tires very hard. I've noticed very little treadwear so far.

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegals, Blue Groove, Excavator's.

Bike Setup:   2011 Giant Trance X3 with American Classic MTB 26 wheels.

Submitted by Brandon a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2014

Strengths:    Grip in all weather, longevity of tread, huge side knobs, low rolling resistance, grip, grip, grip, grip

Weaknesses:    Really, I dont have any to list.

Bottom Line:
Im not the type of person to put 5 chilis for a produce but these tires deserve it. They are fantastic in all weather conditions. I was using a fast rolling tire before these. I was afraid to loose that speed when I changed to something with more meat. I did not loose the speed with these tires. In addition, the read very true to the rider. They let you know well before they give out. The huge side knobs dig in and grip. All in all, these are the best tires I have owner tried. I ride in the north east so rain, rocks, roots, mud and snow are in play. These tires are great in every weather and ground condition except thick, sticky mud. The tread has lasted longer than I would have expected. Also, I run with tubes at a super low psi.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   West Liberty Cycles

Bike Setup:   Hardtail 29er

Submitted by speyers

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2014

Strengths:    cornering on grass, loose dirt, shallow mud, gravel is awesome! rolling resistence is good

Weaknesses:    traction on road to get to trails is a bit sketchy, but you get used to it

Bottom Line:
im running the 26x2.40 ardent on front and this tire is the best ive ridden on so far, compared to ignitor, high roller and some schwalbe's when this one gets to worn ill definitely be getting another

Submitted by scott a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2013

Strengths:    Great traction in all conditions

Weaknesses:    High rolling resistance. Very soft, with rapid wear.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy these if you live in Colorado. The rocks and pulverized granite shred them quickly. I had to rotate the tires in less than two months of moderate riding, because the rear tire knobs where disintegrating. The tires were so soft when brand new, I managed to put them on without a tire iron. While rolling resistance isn't as much of a deal breaker for me, it is noticeable, and might inhibit others. On the upside, the traction is quite amazing. Considering the expense and shockingly rapid wear, I wouldn't buy them again.

Favorite Trail:   Hall Ranch, Lyons, CO

Purchased At:   Excel Sports, Boulde

Bike Setup:   Frankenbike built around Titus Motolite frame.

Submitted by mudfoot

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2013

Strengths:    No

Weaknesses:    Weak Cornering
Loose fitting bead, does not stay on rim during side loaded landings
Difficult to impossible to inflate tubeless

Bottom Line:
26 x 2.25 mounted on Stans Flow
To be fair, perhaps I got a lemon of a tire. My experience with this tire has been horrid, and I'm not being dramatic. I bought this tire in a hurry from a local LBS on a Sunday morning, after shredding the sidewall on my usual tire of choice, Schwalbe Nobby Nic, the night before. Drove to the trailhead with plenty of time before my riding partner got there.
First Fail: Could not get the tire to inflate on a Stans Flow. I was frustrated and there was sealant everywhere by the time my partner showed up, and I threw a tube in and hit the trail.
Cornering, not so great. But I won't waste words on that, pretty well covered in other reviews.
Here's the kicker: This tire will not stay on the rim. The first time it came off, was during a 24hr race. Landed a jump over a road at high speed, a little side ways, and the entire side of the bead came off the rim. Lost position as I was on the side of the trail at 3am changing the tube.
Yesterday, same thing, landed a little sideways.... THE ENTIRE TIRE CAME OFF THE RIM. The tube was still inflated, wrapped around by rear triangle and brake like a wad of black intestines. The tire was crumpled and jammed near my seat tube, and the rim was naked.
Later on the same ride the sidewall bubbled.

I wouldn't even feel good giving this tire away free.

Submitted by mikey b

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2013

Strengths:    grip in all conditions when on the front. fast and corners very well. best tire i have ever ridden in the front.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This is a great front tire and one that wont let you down. Fast in all conditions and the price is pretty good as well. it has never done anything that would make me question this tire!

Submitted by Matthew Norris

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2013

Strengths:    I'm running a steel frame with a solid fork, no suspension, a HIGH ROLLER in the front and ARDENT in the back, and i really like it. Another reviewer has said it's not a front tire and i would agree with that since I am running this combo on dry loose pack. For me, this combo is great and the Ardent seems to climb pretty well with at times a little slip, but that could be my riding technique. Good XC tire though in the front.

Weaknesses:    Climbing on dry loose pack it can slide a bit, but that could be me. The tire seems to corner well and grip good. I run it in the back and a High Roller on the front. Front stays solid, back slides. I'd say this is a predictable tire. Can't wait to ride more on it.

Bottom Line:
XC, front and back. AM, Put it in the rear an a Highroller in the front. Maxxis makes good tires.

Submitted by Andrew Frosch a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2013

Strengths:    rolls fast, good climbing traction as a rear tire - EXO version sidewall is tough

Weaknesses:    Sketchy and slippery as a front tire - not confidence inspiring

Bottom Line:
Ive used a 2.25 EXO Ardent on the front with a Crossmark in the rear for about 5 rides. I had Nevegals on before and just wanted to try something different with less rolling resistance. Ardent up front was sketchy and could not rail turns as usual. Had to slow too much to make some turns, but it was fast in the straights. Riding on rocky and hardpack singletrack with some sand/kitty litter on top.

Moved the same Ardent tire to the back and put a Nevegal up front for a couple of rides. I liked the Ardent as a rear, and it negated the speed penalty when running a Nev front and rear (way to slow for me). It gripped and climbed up short, rocky technical grunts no prob. (The Crossmark that was on rear would slip too easy on roots/rocks).

Favorite Trail:   Soquel Demo (CA), Grapevine Northshore (TX)

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   cant remember

Check out hottest mountain bike products from these brands!