Home | Reviews | Tire | Maxxis

Maxxis Advantage Tire

3.91/5 (47 Reviews)
Weight : 640 grams MSRP : $29.99

The Advantage is a high volume aggressive cross country tire that corners great on big side-knobs.

Submitted by SYB Rider

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2012

Strengths:    I've run many different tires over the years and quite frankly the Advantage has probably been the best overall tire; providing excellent grip in all types of terrain along with good breaking and cornering. The terrain here is extremely rocky and I've yet to have an issue with sidewalls. As far as I'm concerned, the sidewalls give very good support but then again, they are DH tires and I would expect that. I've run tire pressure down so low I'm surprised I still did not pinch flat.

Weaknesses:    None to speak of unless you call a 2.4" tire slow.

Bottom Line:
They are heavy but then again, they are 2.4 DH tires after all not some light weight race tire. If you do lots of road riding to get to your trails, they will be slow but once again what do you expect from a 2.4 DH tire.
If you ride fast downhill trails through knarly terrain, this tire is a good choice.
I will buy another Advantage but may try out the 2.25 DH for comparison purposes.

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer

Submitted by Greg a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2012

Strengths:    Reasonable weight. Fairly durable. Good rubber compound.

Weaknesses:    They suddenly and without warning wash-out when I lean the bike over.

Bottom Line:
This is for the 2.1 Exception/silkworm tyre.
I like this tyre but it is unpredictable. It suddenly and without warning washes-out when I lean the bike over. This is really worrying and it happens whether run as a front or rear. I have replaced them with Ardents which are more predictable.

Submitted by zorg

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    Corners well (front tire) and is light enough for its size

Weaknesses:    None: it was given to me. :)

Bottom Line:
I've been using the 2.25 tubeless as a front tire in the SF Bay area for a few months. I can't comment on how strong the tire is, but I really like it in hardpack, loose over hardpack. The tire rolls fast enough and inspires confidence on the DH. It has plenty of grip to not worry about the tire slipping. Rear tire is a Spesh Captain.
Although I did not pay for it, price is on par with others.

Submitted by Blackthorne a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2012

Strengths:    Very high-volume, strong as an ox

Weaknesses:    Tread pattern works best as a rear tire.

Bottom Line:
I've swapped these out a couple times for 'lighter' tires but keep coming back to these heavy duty meats on the front as they are very confidence inspiring when going off drops or blasting through the rough stuff. The high volume gives a cushiony ride and removes the fear of pinch-flatting in rock gardens. Been riding on them for half a year now and they are only barely showing signs of wear. Not the lightest or sexiest tire out there but it'll take a pounding.

Submitted by muttonmark a Weekend Warrior from Midland, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2011

Strengths:    Rolls Fast, Ease of Intallation, Good in Hardpack and Loose over Hard, Bites pretty good in Corners.

Weaknesses:    None So Far, well, besides Sand, but what tire is good in that?

Bottom Line:
I run the 1.95 on the rear wheel, and Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 on front. In the spring, I ran Exiwolf's on the rear cause they just bite into the sloppy spring trail conditions in Michigan. When the trails started to dry up and harden, I put on the ADvantage. Wear has been good, better than the Exiwolfs. And the only wash out I have had was on a morning ride across a dewey plank bank/bridge. Other than that, I have been pretty impressed with this tire. Great Rolling resistance. Value rating: I give it 4 Chilis, Cuz these tires can run into the $60 range at some places.

Favorite Trail:   Big M, Arcadia Dunes

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal 2.1, WTB Exiwolf, Maxxis Ignitor, IRC Mythos

Bike Setup:   '09 Jamis XCT, Mavic Crossride Disc, Manitou fork

Submitted by Scarsandtears a Weekend Warrior from Mass. USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2011

Strengths:    Grip! Climbs like a billy goat. Rear tire is 2.25 front is 2.4. Steering is excellent, has sublte float on fast turns bite bites once outer knobs engage. On my third set, love these tires. Bike came with Schwalbe's hated em so swapped em out for the Advantage's

Weaknesses:    Price, but all rubber is going up.

Bottom Line:
Fast rolling, grippy, confidence inspriring tire. Great on rocks, loose over hard, and climbs like a goat. Great set of rubber.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods

Similar Products Used:   Fat Alberts, Minion's.

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR7,

Submitted by burtonriderx a Weekend Warrior from Ohio

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2011

Strengths:    great grip, super tacky feel. diagonal lugs are pretty soft and the square ones are pretty stiff so it offers the best of both worlds in a sense. only running on the front of my bike since the 2.4 are super tall. protect your rims well. high volume tire. excellent stopping grip. throws dirt for days

Weaknesses:    Larger than ALL my other tires, fit my rear triangle but rubs too much under stress so im only running it on the front. LARGER than all my other 2.4's. these tires are super Tall. width wasn't the issue. the square tire profile was sticks out too far from the rim and my chain-stay tube tapered a 1/2 too soon

Bottom Line:
great tire. make sure you have plenty of room if your thinking about putting them on the rear.
only gave it 3 chili's on value since they aren't too cheap and was disappointed they rubbed.but performance on the front has been greatly improved over my old kinetics

Favorite Trail:   vulture's knob

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Kinetics, Maxxis holy rollers

Bike Setup:   2007 jamis komodo, stroker aces, crank bro's pedals, etc

Submitted by BikeGod a Weekend Warrior from U.K

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2011

Strengths:    Grip, low rolling resistance. Good price, wear well and reliable.

Bottom Line:
Excellent all round tyres. They create a confidence that encourages adventurous riding and deliver consistent grip. Light enough not to be an encumberance but enough meat to take some punishment for all but the most wrecking-ball skill-less riders. They are the best all round tyre that maxxis manufacture and maxxis manufacture many excellent tyres! Recommendable.

Favorite Trail:   Llandegla

Purchased At:   Merlin Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Over the past 20 years a selection from just about every make available.

Bike Setup:   Marin Rift Zone, XT, Easton Hope wheels.

Submitted by Trails-of-Fire a Cross Country Rider from Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2011

Strengths:    Great grip on corners, excellent on climbs as was proven this weekend. Rolling resistance not too noticeable as I ride loose trails and many climbs with technical stuff. These are the true UST tubeless tire by the way.

Weaknesses:    None as of yet.

Bottom Line:
I hear complaints about tubeless (UST) tires frequently. But I can't think of anytime I have ever had any problems with seating a tire or inflating one either; does help to use an air compressor like you would use on actual car tire. And you can use a floor pump to inflate a tubeless tire too. They do go flat if you get a thorn like a tubed tire so no difference there. Final word: go tubeless and go with Maxxis ADvantage.

Purchased At:   BlueSkyCycling.com

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Python UST

Bike Setup:   2004 Cannondale custom build (I don't like stock components)

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from Upper State N.Y

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2011

Strengths:    Very good grip in all conditions. Pretty light and fast rolling.

Bottom Line:
Probably the best Maxxis all rounder. For all weather/conditions grip and fast rolling these come top of the pack. Price is good and they deliver the confidence to let me rip.

Purchased At:   L.B.S

Submitted by brontosauros a Weekend Warrior from Greece

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2010

Strengths:    Good grip , volume, and roll. If you are searching for something a bit faster than the Nevegal then it is very good.Good weight for its size.
I used the exception model. Don't try to make it tubeless.
It was really hard to do it on mavic 819 rims , it needed a lot of juice and never fully sealed.

Weaknesses:    The sidewall had a 2-3 mm hole on the 4th ride , on an easy trail.

Bottom Line:
Exception model: Only with an inner tube and not on rocky trails due to weak sidewalls.

Submitted by Gunnar-man a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2010

Strengths:    Great traction, good wear life, easy to convert to tubeless

Weaknesses:    Weak sidewall

Bottom Line:
I was very happy with these tires until last weekend when I sliced open the sidewall of my rear 2.2 on a rock that wasn't really that sharp.
Kinda pi$$ed me off as up to that point, I loved them, front and rear. After seeing my sealant spray out of the sidewall cut, I started to think that maybe I should have listened to the others who posted reviews about this tire.

Favorite Trail:   most of them

Purchased At:   chain reaction

Similar Products Used:   Too many to mention

Bike Setup:   08 Banshee Rune on Easton Havoc wheels

Submitted by zakkpw a Downhiller from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, grippy

Weaknesses:    Fast wear

Bottom Line:
I got these tires from a friend when they were in proto type stage at Maxxis. So one of my favorite things is that they are ALL black(i know that doesnt make or break it for you all). I was drawn to the tread design and the softness of the tread. So far that softness has held up wonderfuly in all conditions. The downfall is that they do wear a bit faster, but you gota give to get sometimes! I have had no problems with the sidewalls which was my biggest concern when I got them, they have taken numerous rocky and rooty long downhills, rock gardens and some big jumps and drops!

Purchased At:   Secret

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   '05 Kona Stinky W/ Marz 66VM

Submitted by Ben Niceknownya a Weekend Warrior from Grand Junction CO

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2009

Strengths:    I have the 2.4s front and rear. They have great braking and cornering grip and are very predictable. Good on all types of terrian. We don't have mud, so I can't say anything about that.

Weaknesses:    Rolling resistance. Hey why do you think they brake and corner so well?

Bottom Line:
Great tires, but I'm changing to something with less rolling resistance on the back. I might put one back on the back for winter trail conditions, but under normal conditions here in GJ it is way overkill. Many people complain about the sidewall strength, but I've had no issues and GJ has plenty of rocks.

Favorite Trail:   Gunny's