Home | Reviews | Tire | Kenda

Kenda Telonix DTC Tire

3.88/5 (8 Reviews)

Heavy duty, 2-ply casing steel wire bead version ofTheTelonix with Stick-E rubber compound. claimed 1385 grams Kenda Legends SeriesTire designed with input fromTrials Pro Hans ReyTall, ramped centerTread great for climbing, DH casing ideal forTrials, H-shaped cornering knobs good for steering control

Submitted by fisher_rider04

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2013

Strengths:    Climbing in loose soil
Traction in sand
Leaves a nice footprint in the dirt

Weaknesses:    Low rolling resistance
Heavy

Bottom Line:
The way I see it there are two ways to approach loose soils. First is pedaling insanely hard on low profile tires. Second is cruising straight through with Telonix tires.

Submitted by RM from BC a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2012

Strengths:    Traction.

Weaknesses:    None noted yet.

Bottom Line:
2.2 Telonix DTC on the back. 2.4 Trail King on the front.
Traction is excellent. About 10 days on the tire so far and I haven't come across any condition where the tire has disappointed. Climbing and descending. Rock and sandy trails in Bend. Wet rocks, roots and mud back in BC all excellent. Paired with the Trail King on the front this is the best combo I've had. I'm not a racer so I'm not concerned about rolling resistance. Performance for me is how steep a hill I can climb or descend and how fast I can rail corners. My week in Bend was a blur of banked turns and dust :)

Favorite Trail:   Comfortably Numb, Whistler

Purchased At:   Blue Sky

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal, Nobby Nic, Maxxis Advantage

Bike Setup:   2011 Remedy 9. 36 Talas. 2.4 Continental Trail King on front. 2.2 Kenda Telonix DTC on the back

Submitted by larry6969 a Weekend Warrior from oxford ma.

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2010

Strengths:    grippy tire! climb well regardless of the terrain. a lot more grip than the crappy bontragers that came on my bike!

Weaknesses:    heavy tire,a little slow rolling till ya get em goin, packs up with mud pretty easy but comes out just as quick.

Bottom Line:
when i am off road i have nothing negative to say about these tires. i like them on all surfaces except pavement(dont get me wrong,they do make a really cool humming noise)but when its dry and i have to ride on the tar i would like the bontragers back on(maybe a good excuse to buy a second set of rims lol).if you do mostly off road riding and dont want to set any land speed records than this tire might be what your looking for

Favorite Trail:   local trails

Purchased At:   on line

Similar Products Used:   bontrager jones

Bike Setup:   stock 2008 trek fuel e x 8 only thing ive done is put on the "animal" platform pedals, and put on the kendas(2.2 in the rear and 2.4 in the front).

Submitted by zach.scofield a Weekend Warrior from Plattsburgh, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2009

Strengths:    Traction Galore!

Weaknesses:    possibly the weight.

Bottom Line:
These tires do exactly what I was hoping for. They Grip! IMO they are the best do it all tire for Northern NY w/ our ever varying conditions. You'll probably have to run 1 gear higher than a typical "grippy" XC tire but the grip is worth it and should be expected.

This isnt a tire for someone who wants to speed along fire roads as it is rather heavy. I'm not concerned w/ the weight so it won't negatively affect my review. However, I only seem to notice the weight at slower speeds, When you get this tire upto speed it just flies and holds its speed well, inspiring confidence!

Off camber decents and climbs in the loose or loamy dirt really show this tires strength. It holds its line extremely well and grips like glue on the climbs. I had to adjust my seat forward about 1/2" to compensate for the added traction. I was pulling the front off the ground before making the seat adjustment. Decsending or climbing loose off camber stuff is no problem either. Pick a line and ride it. On the rare occasion this tire slips it is very well controlled. I have only been able to get it to slip on tight, wet, muddy & loose, off camber sections. Yes it requires all those at once to make it slip.

In the sand it floats well. I spent about an hour in the local sand pit testing this tire the other day. Only weakness I found was in deep wet sand, if turned hard the front tire will dig in and bury itself but can be steered out w/ relative ease. This tire eats up dry sand without issues.

In muddy conditions the front tire will pack up if its sticky / clayish but clears out well in short order. In wet or sandy mud, I have no issues at all.

I'm really enjoying this tire and will be replacing w/ the same from now on.

Favorite Trail:   dirt, anywhere

Purchased At:   Mountain Riders

Similar Products Used:   WTB velociraptor, Panaracer Fire FR, Conti Mtn king pro's

Bike Setup:   05 Trance

Submitted by SingleTrackLovr a Weekend Warrior from Denver

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2008

Strengths:    AM riding: 2.2 F/R Exellent traction in loose gravel over hard pack. Climbs well in wet gravel.
DH 2.4F / 2.2R Exellent traction in turns on dry trails

Weaknesses:    weight, holds mud
These babies are really heavy when packed with mud.

Bottom Line:
When it's dry and rocky these are my favorite tires.

Favorite Trail:   CT pine CO

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Tomac Nevegal Kevlar Tire DTS 2.35F/R

Bike Setup:   Yeti AS-x, 160mm Fox36 float

Submitted by bj a Cross Country Rider from snoqualmie, wa

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2007

Strengths:    Fairly grippy and works well on hardpack fire roads as well as technical singletrack. Supple sidewall seems to search out traction when climbing.

Weaknesses:    Heavy for an XC 2.2 tire with a wimpy sidewall. Supple sidewall causes the tire to swim left and right at lower pressures and traction gets poor with high pressure. Not great traction over wet rocks and roots. Feel a bit slow going up.

Bottom Line:
Maybe a good socal tire but not great for wet winter coming in Seattle. Supple 120 tpi sidewall is both good and bad - depending on what you ride. This tire will serve you well in dry, technical stuff. I don't think this is the best wet weather tire - The telonix trail is in Santa Cruz so maybe that is where this tire excels.

This tire is a 4 chili tire in it's element.

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mt

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal, Timberwolf, Minion, Prowler XT,

Bike Setup:   Scott Ransom 10

Submitted by John a Downhiller from Hood River

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2007

Strengths:    Strong sidewalls, no probs yet descending at 28psi (185 lb rider). Great in dusty/loose.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, at 1,050g for a 2.4 folding bead. The skinny and tall knobs dig in, making long climbs tough. The tall/skinny knobs, combined with the wide spacing between the center knobs and side knobs, gives it a bit of squirrelly feel on hardpack at speed.

Bottom Line:
Decscending in loose/dusty conditions, I can link jumps and ride technical sections of trail where my Nevegals have gone out from under me. A great tire if you're doing slower, technical descents in loose/dusty conditions (Bootleg Canyon, etc.)

Look elsewhere (Nevegal/WTB Dissent) if you're doing high speed descents on hardpack trails (A-line type riding).

I'd give them a 5 in loose conditions, and a 3 for price, climbing, and high speeds, for a 4 overall.

Purchased At:   Mtn View

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal 2.5, Panaracer Fire FR 2.4, Maxxis High Roller 2.5, WTB Dissent 2.5

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Rogue w/ Totem fork.

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Pagosa Springs, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2007

Strengths:    big & heavy (1050 g. for folding bead 2.4's)

Weaknesses:    The rubber on the DTC compound side lugs is way too soft.

Bottom Line:
I purchased these to replace the hansventure tires that came on my iron horse. I can push the side lugs over with my thumb until they touch the side wall!! I guess they might be good in the mud, but for trails varying from rock to sand to hard pack they really suck. It looks like a nice tread pattern but the lack of integrity on the side lugs ruins them.

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest