Home | Reviews | Tire | Kenda

Kenda Small Block Eight Tire

4.14/5 (122 Reviews)

The Small Block Eight DTC 2.1 is an excellent hard pack XC race tire 8 Nevegal shaped but smaller knobs across the tire for better 'bite'. DTC - Dual Tread Compound offers cornering grip with faster center line acceleration. One of the fastest rolling tires in the Kenda Premium line.

Submitted by Ian a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2014

Strengths:    Straight Lines, Hard Packed, Durability

Weaknesses:    Anything not listed in strengths

Bottom Line:
If you have to commute to a trailhead on the regular these are fantastic. Rolling resistance is nill on the tarmac and they're a x-country riders dream on hard packed soil.

Unfortunately less than optimal conditions mean it's time for a tyre swap. They're not designed to deal with loose condition and clog immediately with whatever you've thrown at them. Sand and other dry loose conditions drag these down quickly.

The final tidbit I found with this particular tyre was the bead comes a bit loose around the rims under heavy breaking and often slips just slightly pulling tubes and tape with them. Resulted in a lot of presto valves getting clipped, but 3 years later I won't shed any tears on a $52 tyre.

Favorite Trail:   Upper Don

Bike Setup:   '04 RMB Vertex
'02 Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by Xmessenger a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2014

Strengths:    These are great tires lying for what they were made for: mild XC race course in dry conditions, cycling paths, hard surfaces such as rock. In these conditions they have a great balance of low rolling resistance, lightweight and grip.

Weaknesses:    Loose conditions, mud and weak sidewalls. Definitely better as a rear tire than front due to lack of serious side knobs and round profile.

Bottom Line:
If you are a Xc racer on typical groomed courses these are great. They are also perfect for the commuter on both Road and bike paths for the same reasons as the racer, they are easy to maintain speed and grip well in ideal conditions. They could be a great trail tire for the summer as a rear tire as they due grip well so long as the surface isn't mobile itself.

Favorite Trail:   South Ridge/Daves line at the "Dump"

Duration Product Used:   Several months

Purchased At:   BD

Similar Products Used:   I've used all kinds of tires including slicks like Gatorskins, Tom slicks, City Slickers and treads like Smoke and Dart to old Specialised Ground Control to Maxxis beaver, Schwalbe Rocket Ron and Continental Mountain King2.

Bike Setup:   Motobecane fly ti 29er.

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2014

Strengths:    Very reasonable price for what you get
quick-rolling on hardpacked earth & pavement

Weaknesses:    Poor mud/snow clearance, strictly a fair-weather tire

Bottom Line:
Great hardpack tire, especially for your typical midwestern singletrack. Fast-rolling on hard dirt surfaces, and doesn't handle too bad in loamy/sandy mixed surfaces either. Decent on pavement, very little vibration but a good amount of noise.

Handles about as well as you might expect in sand and downed leaves (poorly).

However, the short and closely packed tread pattern that make these tires good on the hard stuff makes for a tire that turns into ball bearings in the mud and snow, where frequent washouts occur if mounted on the front wheel as these tires do not shed mud or snow well. Reccomend a tire with a more aggressive tread in front paired with a SB8 on the rear.

Favorite Trail:   Holly Mtn Bike Area - West Loop

Duration Product Used:   250 miles

Bike Setup:   hardtail 29er

Submitted by olineman a Racer

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2013

Strengths:    Very fast tires, seem to be durable

Weaknesses:    Like many of the other reviews here state if it is anything other than hard solid ground you will have a lot of slippage.

Bottom Line:
These came stock on the last bike that I bought and I have a couple of dozen solid rides on them. I am an aggressive rider that has become used to cornering hard and climbing without the rear wheel slipping out from under me. These tires have started to change that. If you are used to sticky tires these will shake your confidence. I like the speed but cant live with the lack of grip.

Favorite Trail:   Cameron Park

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC Pros, Kenda Nevegal

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Fly Team 29 Ti

Submitted by GaryM a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2013

Strengths:    I am a 215 lb. recreational XC rider. The 2.1 tire works well in the dry hard pack and also as a commuter on the rear. The jury is still out on the front tire performance. The performance in the wet is unknown. Works well with the Notubes conversion on Mavic rims. Seems to wear well on the rear. These are fast tires, noticeably faster than Panaracer Fire XCs they replaced.

Weaknesses:    A bit pricey.

Bottom Line:
For dry hard pack and commuting they are thumbs up, at least on the rear.

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC. Bulldogs.

Bike Setup:   2004 Giant NRS.

Submitted by CoBo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2013

Strengths:    Fast rolling!!!! durable and usually can find it at a great price.

Weaknesses:    Limited application: It is a rear tire only and best suited for dry condiitons.

Bottom Line:
This is a great rear tire for dry conditions or racing. I have used this tire for the last three years and when it is paired with a Kenda Nevegal up front it is a great combination. The tire does have its limits and I will remove it when I am doing runs at the ski resort or conditions require more traction. If you need more speed and condition are dry and fast it is a rear tire.

Purchased At:   LBS & Online

Submitted by mingo loco a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2013

Strengths:    Very low resistance, a good option if you want to use your mtb to commute in cities or avoid the shame of having slicks in a great mtb.

Weaknesses:    Grip on rear is a problem in anything different than dry hard soil
Grip on front : do not use it unless you drive on tar or dry clean tracks

Bottom Line:
I got this tire in my new 29er and would never pay $58 for it...
I am shocked to see the overall rating for this tire as 4.19... it gave me good bruises and frustrated climbs during summer in Australia... I can't see me using it during winter over roots.

Submitted by DoubleJ a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2012

Strengths:    I have read and heard good things about these tires a bike shop in Denver recommened that I use them for the trail I frequent.That being said I would never use this on the front. Seams to be ok in the rear but not great.

Weaknesses:    This is the absoulte worst front tire I have used. The small blocks continually slide out. These tires caused me to crash going downhill where I have been riding for 5 years without any issues. I continue to feel the front sliding out every time I ride and will be replacing these tire in the next week.

Bottom Line:
DO NOT USE THIS TIRE ON THE FRONT UNLESS YOU LIKE HITTING THE GROUND WITH YOUR HEAD. I have a pare of WAL Mart tires that perform better.

Favorite Trail:   Falcon trail.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   kenda navagal, maxis, cheepy tires.

Bike Setup:   Sette Pro

Submitted by Franzis a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2012

Strengths:    Good grip on a wide variety of surfaces. Smooth rolling

Weaknesses:    Front sidewall is soft, keep the pressure high. Poor in sand, but who rides a lot of snad anyway/ Cautious conrnering if you are a bigger/heavier rider. 200lbs

Bottom Line:
Bought these as an an all-rounder tire. I use them to commute on path, and trail ride. They are very efficient rolling tires and grip remarkabley well considering the knob size. A tad pricey retail but if you want one tire that can do a lot they are not a bad option. For serious, and dedicated off-road use I would at least switch the front tire back to my Tioga Factory 2.3.

Duration Product Used:   one year

Purchased At:   Jensen online

Bike Setup:   Hard tail Kona kula

Submitted by Rich a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2012

Strengths:    Not as terrible as I feared

Weaknesses:    If you are in anything besides hardpack, you will experience some slippage

Bottom Line:
Very light tire, runs fast. But in the trails around my place you gotta have a little more grip!

Submitted by Cormac a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent grip on hard pack, low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    Terrible in mud and even worse in sand

Bottom Line:
I can't comment on weight since I have nothing to compare this too. They came with my bike, so not sure on the value thing. But for what they do they do well! Still I'd imagine you could pick up a better tire for the price point.

That said, 99% of the single track near me is hard pack and these tires allow you to corner as if on rails. They do just as well laid into a corner as they do standing upright going down the trail. You can lay it over pretty far before breaking loose. Fast rolling and quiet. Even on asphalt.

Other than dry and hard dirt...they are no good. They don't shed mud at all. Rather they hang on to it and what you end up with is essentially a racing slick. So as you ride further in muddy conditions they just get worse. If your careful you'll be fine riding this way unless it's the soft sloppy mud, then you'll be all over the place. As for sand they act like they have a mind of their own. You have a plan for making it through a sandy area, they have other plans.

Climbing is just fine. Like I say if it's dry and packed you'll fly uphill. Careful on technical stuff both up, down and flat, the rear tends to spin out on roots especially wet roots. From what I can tell they do fine on rocks.

All things considered they are a good tire. I could see buying these tires again once they wear out. But I'm gonna look for something a little more suited to all around conditions first. If I find nothing I'll pick up a pair of these again.

Favorite Trail:   Rum Village

Purchased At:   Spin Zone

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Trail SL4 29er SS

Submitted by Ken Lord a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    Great tire for XC or every day trail (dirt) use... enough nub to get a grip in wet/muddy spots, but not so much that you have to fight the tire if you have pavement transitions here and there.

Weaknesses:    It's a great tire, but kind of expensive for what it is... the price point should probably be closer to 40 dollars.

Bottom Line:
Great tire for everyday use, but at a steep price. It has plenty of grab in wet grass, mud, loose gravel or other things you might encounter on your commute, but not so much that it will fight you too hard on pavement. It seems (so far) to not be wearing out too fast either.

Favorite Trail:   Three Sisters

Purchased At:   Incline Mountain Spo

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Slant Six

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Mission 1 frame, fox rp32 rear, I forget what mavic wheels I have. :(

Submitted by Biggups a Downhiller from NYC

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2012

Strengths:    Large casing gives great balance, good tread profile for cornering and wall rides, rolls very fast and quiet, smooth predictable grip from the sticky outer treads. Excellent rear tire for racing, or blazing the streets or dirt jumps.

Weaknesses:    rough loose terrain or loose rocks is too much for these little treads. not for dh riding or tech rock decents. Wet conditions capable but not great, specially sketchy in the wet roots. Using it for a front tire in those conditions is dangerous but you can get away with it in rear with nevgal up front.

Bottom Line:
These are very versatile tires that grip in tons of different conditions. I originally purchased one for a rear tire on a slopestyle bike. After seeing the increase in speed and how good it is for dirt jumping I purchased another couple. Sometimes I put them on my all mountain bike and do xc. They have been tested in every condition from sand to snow. When the snow is hardpack/ice these are surprisingly good tires. In the dirt the can do it all but you have to know their limits. Can't hang the bike sideways thru rocks or anything but they soo light just jump over them. Durability was good considering the massive beatdown I put on them and still have alot of life left. Even when most the middle tread is gone now you have a semi slick rocket tire. Of corse they great in hardpack dirt and jump parks etc. The fact that soo many xc riders using them confirms how fast they are. The roadies get nervous when they see me pull up with the small blocks on. Then go blast some dirt jumps because the low profile tread gives you the ultimate boost of the lip.

Favorite Trail:   upstate

Purchased At:   us open

Similar Products Used:   Tabletops, holy rollers, high roller, minion, nevgal, k rads, h factor

Bike Setup:   I used the small blocks on slopestyle setups and all mountain. Seen them used on hardtails recently and even 20" peeps like them.

Submitted by siberian1967 a Weekend Warrior from Marin, CA

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2011

Strengths:    Insanely low rolling resistance. Seriously, this thing is fast. It feels like a rocket, particularly compared to the Panaracer FirePros I was previously running.

Did I mention how fast these are? I hope so, because they are FAST.

Weaknesses:    Traction is 'ok' in loose rock and sand. They tossed me once pretty hard when they just jumped out from under me with no recovery time.

When things get packed and wet they are ok

When things are wet and loose its like ice skating.

These are not mud tires, this is to be expected, but also understand that running these in loose pack will probably toss you.

Bottom Line:
I am keeping my SB8 on the rear and searching for a more robust front-end. Possibly a Nevegal or something from Maxxis. I need more traction and I climb a lot so it can't 3x my effort.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Tam to Coastal View