Home | Reviews | Tire | Kenda

Kenda Small Block Eight Tire

4.13/5 (127 Reviews)

The Small Block Eight DTC 2.1 is an excellent hard pack XC race tire 8 Nevegal shaped but smaller knobs across the tire for better 'bite'. DTC - Dual Tread Compound offers cornering grip with faster center line acceleration. One of the fastest rolling tires in the Kenda Premium line.

Submitted by Sean a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2016

Strengths:    Super fast and pretty grippy on hardpack

Weaknesses:    completely awful in muddy conditions

Bottom Line:
Came with a Giant I bought.
Very fast on hardpack and tarmac and corners well in dry firm conditions.
In mud it is worse than nothing it does not shed mud well at all and I had so much mud (clayish riverbottom style mud) collect on my front wheel it actually locked it up.
Would be perfect for anyone who ride hardpack.

Submitted by Ob1Hoagie a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2016

Strengths:    I ONLY use this as a rear tire. This is the BEST rear tire I've ever used for desert riding and I've used a ton of other tires. This tire grips amazingly well on loose over hardback. IF Kenda would wake up and make this tire in a tubeless 29'er size with a 2.4 width they wouldn't be able to produce enough of them to meet the demand !

Weaknesses:    Don't use as a front tire.
Don't use in anything wet.

Bottom Line:
Kenda... PLEASE make a 29'er tubeless tire with at least a 2.4 width !!!

Duration Product Used:   Years...

Similar Products Used:   Too many to mention...

Bike Setup:   A VERY Evil 29'er bike ! ??

Submitted by rodrigo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2016

Strengths:    Ultrafast, incredible grip in hardpack, best tire ever

Weaknesses:    no good for mud

Bottom Line:
This tire came by default with my Giant and i was reluctant to use because the small knobs. I thought it to be weak and gripless but how far from truth i was. At first i used 1.75 wide for easy terrain, it made me unbeatable at climbing, it is extremely fast with tons of grip but it tends to be snake bited if you go hard (the 1,7 wide). Then i went to 2,1 and 2,35 Incredible at cornering (any tire wide), the small knobs bring a lot of grip and i feel i did not lose speed at climbing and going downhill i can trust it because there are no boundary break points at edges so it will be there when you need it are turning hard. This tyre is light, fast, trustable and tons of grip but not overly. If you are going hard just go wider 2,35. The best tyre i´ve tried so far. Who cares if it doesnt last so long, its cheap. Now i just smile when i see guys with those big knobs tires. I ride for about 40 Km training as fast as i can, hardpack, twisty, fireroads, challenging tracks. Forgot to say SB8 is no good in muddy terrain.

Bike Setup:   Esigrips, Sigma Rox 6, Azonic double riser PWD, Giant XTC A2.

Submitted by JS

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2015

Strengths:    Fast
Agile
Traction
Very fast
Cornering
Terrain Variety
To soon to tell about durability but I did run over some cactus without flatting.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't have the tough look you might like a mtb tire to have.

Bottom Line:
I have been very surprised by this tire to say the least. I bought two virtually unused 2.1 SB8's off Craigslist a couple months ago for $5 and they have been sitting in my shed unused until a few days ago because I figured their performance would be as marginal as they look.

Finally, after reading some mixed reviews I reluctantly decided to give one a try as a rear tire. Wow! Have I been surprised. I expected a speed increase in the hardpack over the very aggressive rear tire I have been using, and the speed increase was instantly huge in all terrain. What really surprised me is that the traction is just as good if not better than my aggressive tire in a wide variety of terrains. Including hardpack, loose/sand over hardpack, sand up to and inch deep, rock gardens, and slick rock, among others. I have even encountered some mud and melting snow, neither of which slowed me down more that they would have my more aggressive tire. The only place I noticed a slight decrease in performance was descending a steep cobble type rock garden. The tire locked up easily and did little to reduce speed in the golf ball to baseball sized rocks, but those type of conditions are rare enough that I don't care. Not only has my speed dramatically increased and traction remained, but my bike handling was instantly improved with this tire as well. It is easier to transition from side to side with this tire than a tire with large knobs. Changing directions and lean angles is much quicker and less cumbersome. I haven't tried the SB8 on the front yet, but one of these days I probably will. Though I am still a bit hesitant to give up the aggressive tire on the front end.

Awesome tire, I will buy again, at least for a rear. I have to wonder how it is that some reviewers are unsatisfied with the grip of the tire, and I wonder if it is mainly the front end that they are having a hard time with. Maybe they are running the pressure to high. I have been running mine just a bit under 30 PSI, and still have plenty of speed and don't feel I am even close to pinch flatting.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Front Range trails

Submitted by Blitztorm a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2014

Strengths:    Only good on Hardpack as a REAR tyre.

Weaknesses:    Fragile, and anything else beside the strengths

Bottom Line:
I did some reading and then decided to get it for my rear wheel replacement of Maxxis Ignitor (which come with my bike), set it up and went to a local trail. I could only say it is good on hardpack and okay with small loose rocks... super slippery in wet. i am 180, 75kg, bike is 2013 custom built Focus Raven.

Submitted by Ian a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2014

Strengths:    Straight Lines, Hard Packed, Durability

Weaknesses:    Anything not listed in strengths

Bottom Line:
If you have to commute to a trailhead on the regular these are fantastic. Rolling resistance is nill on the tarmac and they're a x-country riders dream on hard packed soil.

Unfortunately less than optimal conditions mean it's time for a tyre swap. They're not designed to deal with loose condition and clog immediately with whatever you've thrown at them. Sand and other dry loose conditions drag these down quickly.

The final tidbit I found with this particular tyre was the bead comes a bit loose around the rims under heavy breaking and often slips just slightly pulling tubes and tape with them. Resulted in a lot of presto valves getting clipped, but 3 years later I won't shed any tears on a $52 tyre.

Favorite Trail:   Upper Don

Bike Setup:   '04 RMB Vertex
'02 Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by Xmessenger a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2014

Strengths:    These are great tires lying for what they were made for: mild XC race course in dry conditions, cycling paths, hard surfaces such as rock. In these conditions they have a great balance of low rolling resistance, lightweight and grip.

Weaknesses:    Loose conditions, mud and weak sidewalls. Definitely better as a rear tire than front due to lack of serious side knobs and round profile.

Bottom Line:
If you are a Xc racer on typical groomed courses these are great. They are also perfect for the commuter on both Road and bike paths for the same reasons as the racer, they are easy to maintain speed and grip well in ideal conditions. They could be a great trail tire for the summer as a rear tire as they due grip well so long as the surface isn't mobile itself.

Favorite Trail:   South Ridge/Daves line at the "Dump"

Duration Product Used:   Several months

Purchased At:   BD

Similar Products Used:   I've used all kinds of tires including slicks like Gatorskins, Tom slicks, City Slickers and treads like Smoke and Dart to old Specialised Ground Control to Maxxis beaver, Schwalbe Rocket Ron and Continental Mountain King2.

Bike Setup:   Motobecane fly ti 29er.

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2014

Strengths:    Very reasonable price for what you get
quick-rolling on hardpacked earth & pavement

Weaknesses:    Poor mud/snow clearance, strictly a fair-weather tire

Bottom Line:
Great hardpack tire, especially for your typical midwestern singletrack. Fast-rolling on hard dirt surfaces, and doesn't handle too bad in loamy/sandy mixed surfaces either. Decent on pavement, very little vibration but a good amount of noise.

Handles about as well as you might expect in sand and downed leaves (poorly).

However, the short and closely packed tread pattern that make these tires good on the hard stuff makes for a tire that turns into ball bearings in the mud and snow, where frequent washouts occur if mounted on the front wheel as these tires do not shed mud or snow well. Reccomend a tire with a more aggressive tread in front paired with a SB8 on the rear.

Favorite Trail:   Holly Mtn Bike Area - West Loop

Duration Product Used:   250 miles

Bike Setup:   hardtail 29er

Submitted by olineman a Racer

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2013

Strengths:    Very fast tires, seem to be durable

Weaknesses:    Like many of the other reviews here state if it is anything other than hard solid ground you will have a lot of slippage.

Bottom Line:
These came stock on the last bike that I bought and I have a couple of dozen solid rides on them. I am an aggressive rider that has become used to cornering hard and climbing without the rear wheel slipping out from under me. These tires have started to change that. If you are used to sticky tires these will shake your confidence. I like the speed but cant live with the lack of grip.

Favorite Trail:   Cameron Park

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC Pros, Kenda Nevegal

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Fly Team 29 Ti

Submitted by GaryM a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2013

Strengths:    I am a 215 lb. recreational XC rider. The 2.1 tire works well in the dry hard pack and also as a commuter on the rear. The jury is still out on the front tire performance. The performance in the wet is unknown. Works well with the Notubes conversion on Mavic rims. Seems to wear well on the rear. These are fast tires, noticeably faster than Panaracer Fire XCs they replaced.

Weaknesses:    A bit pricey.

Bottom Line:
For dry hard pack and commuting they are thumbs up, at least on the rear.

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC. Bulldogs.

Bike Setup:   2004 Giant NRS.

Submitted by CoBo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2013

Strengths:    Fast rolling!!!! durable and usually can find it at a great price.

Weaknesses:    Limited application: It is a rear tire only and best suited for dry condiitons.

Bottom Line:
This is a great rear tire for dry conditions or racing. I have used this tire for the last three years and when it is paired with a Kenda Nevegal up front it is a great combination. The tire does have its limits and I will remove it when I am doing runs at the ski resort or conditions require more traction. If you need more speed and condition are dry and fast it is a rear tire.

Purchased At:   LBS & Online

Submitted by mingo loco a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2013

Strengths:    Very low resistance, a good option if you want to use your mtb to commute in cities or avoid the shame of having slicks in a great mtb.

Weaknesses:    Grip on rear is a problem in anything different than dry hard soil
Grip on front : do not use it unless you drive on tar or dry clean tracks

Bottom Line:
I got this tire in my new 29er and would never pay $58 for it...
I am shocked to see the overall rating for this tire as 4.19... it gave me good bruises and frustrated climbs during summer in Australia... I can't see me using it during winter over roots.

Submitted by DoubleJ a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2012

Strengths:    I have read and heard good things about these tires a bike shop in Denver recommened that I use them for the trail I frequent.That being said I would never use this on the front. Seams to be ok in the rear but not great.

Weaknesses:    This is the absoulte worst front tire I have used. The small blocks continually slide out. These tires caused me to crash going downhill where I have been riding for 5 years without any issues. I continue to feel the front sliding out every time I ride and will be replacing these tire in the next week.

Bottom Line:
DO NOT USE THIS TIRE ON THE FRONT UNLESS YOU LIKE HITTING THE GROUND WITH YOUR HEAD. I have a pare of WAL Mart tires that perform better.

Favorite Trail:   Falcon trail.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   kenda navagal, maxis, cheepy tires.

Bike Setup:   Sette Pro

Submitted by Franzis a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2012

Strengths:    Good grip on a wide variety of surfaces. Smooth rolling

Weaknesses:    Front sidewall is soft, keep the pressure high. Poor in sand, but who rides a lot of snad anyway/ Cautious conrnering if you are a bigger/heavier rider. 200lbs

Bottom Line:
Bought these as an an all-rounder tire. I use them to commute on path, and trail ride. They are very efficient rolling tires and grip remarkabley well considering the knob size. A tad pricey retail but if you want one tire that can do a lot they are not a bad option. For serious, and dedicated off-road use I would at least switch the front tire back to my Tioga Factory 2.3.

Duration Product Used:   one year

Purchased At:   Jensen online

Bike Setup:   Hard tail Kona kula

Submitted by Rich a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2012

Strengths:    Not as terrible as I feared

Weaknesses:    If you are in anything besides hardpack, you will experience some slippage

Bottom Line:
Very light tire, runs fast. But in the trails around my place you gotta have a little more grip!