Home | Reviews | Tire | Kenda

Kenda Slant Six DTC-Stick-E Tire

4.13/5 (15 Reviews)

For years, Kenda’s most popularTires have beenThe Small Block 8 and Nevegal. Finally,They have created aTireThat embodiesThe spirit of bothThe Nevegal andThe Small Block. Excellent for intermediateTo hard- packedTerrain, you’ll speedThroughThe course, without worrying about slipping.This version ofThe Slant Six embodies Kenda’s Stick- E compound. Kenda’s Stick- E compound is a slow rebound rubber (50 shore A durometer) for excellent grip andTraction control;TheTrade

Submitted by madaca a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2013

Strengths:    Great cornering and great traction for uphill climbing.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a little rolling resistance but not bad.

Bottom Line:
I have a fuji 1.9 Nevada 29er that I have converted to singlespeed. I upgraded the wheels to Mavic Crossrides a couple weeks ago and yesterday I mounted some Kenda slant six tires. I kept debating on getting the Kenda navegals or the schwalbe nobby nics. I went to performance bicycle and talked to one of the guys there and he recommended the slant six for what I wanted. Better cornering was the main thing I needed and a little more grip for the hills. I had the stock tires that came with the bike. Couldn't go too fast in hard pack with loose dirt on top. Would keep trying to slide out from under me. I would also get some spin out while going up hill. I managed but I knew I was wasting energy.

I set up these new slant 6's the ghetto tubeless way with Stan's brew. Fairly easy. Took a few minutes to seal up good but otherwise straight forward set up. My fiancé and I headed out to the trails today and I gave it a test run. The trail I rode has hard pack, loose over hardback, technical, rocks gardens, uphill and downhill, lots of switchbacks, etc. a good trail to test it out on. I started out on the hardpack with loose dirt on top. I started out slow and worked my speed up. I could immediately feel the difference. I kept wanting to break before the turn so I wouldn't slide so bad but these tires did what I needed. Cornering was excellent and I could ride faster. I kept trying to cut the turns faster and sharper. The tires just hooked up nicely. Very few times did the tires slide and if they did, they hooked up quick and pulled me out. Only happened once or twice. I ran the tires at about 30psi each. Seemed to work good. May try a little more psi next time but not much. I felt like they had a little more rolling resistance but could be because I ran them with lower psi than my other tires. I then purposely headed to some rocky uphill section and I couldn't believe how much easier it was. Didn't slip at all. I couldn't believe it. Downhill was good and downhill turns as well. It just felt great. I then headed to a steep hill that was hard packed dirt. The kind of hill that you can barely walk up because you just end up sliding back down. I couldn't believe I made it up the hill. I never made it up before because it was so slippery from the dirt. Now I'm feeling good and Ive picked up the pace and headed to some loose rock section with lots of turns and up and down switchbacks. Wow, amazing!! I felt like superman flying down the trail then I come to this small downhill with a sharp right turn and a short burst up hill to follow. In the turn is a lot of loose gravel and I take it fast and hard. BAM!! I finally go down sliding in the turn but it was different. I could tell the tires grabbed as much as they could but there was no way I would of made it at that speed with that much loose rock in the turn. I just forgot careful i needed to be in that particular turn. It wasn't a horrible wreck. Both tires slid and I was still clipped into the bike. I got up dusted myself off and blasted away down the trail with a smile on my face. I was worried about getting these tires because they don't have very large knobs on them but man they do the job. The outside knobs are Slightly bigger than the center ones. I'm definitely sold on these tires. I got them on sale for about $45 each. I've seen them at other places for $60 each. My first time ever purchasing a decent set of tires. I had no idea it made such a big difference. Hope this helps someone that might be wondering about this tires set.

Favorite Trail:   OP Schnabel in San Antonio but I'm just getting started

Purchased At:   Performance bicycle

Bike Setup:   Fuji nevada 1.9 29er converted to singlespeed
Mavic Crossrides wheels
Origin 8 singlespeed kit
32T chainring and 18T rear cog
Stock sun tour front suspension
Avid brake levers

Submitted by Steve tupling

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2013

Strengths:    Cornering wet to dry road to trails

Bottom Line:
Outstanding

Submitted by 324 MTBiker a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2013

Strengths:    Relatively light, fast, and has great traction.

Weaknesses:    Off camber grip.

Bottom Line:
I'm transitioning from serious recreational riding to beginner racing and switched out my Nevegals for the Slant 6s. I ride semi-technical trails in Virginia on a hard tail with 26" wheels.

The trail condition was mostly wet and muddy on my first ride on the tires and I found them to have excellent grip in thick mud and on the slick hard pack trails. They rolled quick on the dry sections and cornered well. The climbing traction was almost as good as the Nevegals, even over roots and rocks. Braking action was good. The only area weakness I found was that they tended to drift down on off-camber portions of the trail or into deep ruts, where the Nevegal wouldn't have. I don't have that many miles on the tires so far, and can't comment on durability.

I switched to reduce weight and have a faster rolling tire, while not wanting to sacrifice too much of the grip I'd grown accustomed to. I was very pleasantly surprised by how these tires perform in all conditions. I would definitely recommend.

Submitted by vack a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2013

Strengths:    They rolled fast!?!???

Weaknesses:    They did not work as a Tubeless set up on my Wheels (Might be a Wheels issue), Grip was less then stellar here in W.PA.

Bottom Line:
Well my Ignitor got a good hole in it, so while that was down being patched....I had this Brand Spankin New Kenda Slant Six, hanging out. So I figured What the Hell, let's try it. Now I have Giant PX-2 Wheels so this whole issue might be the wheel, but my Ignitor and my Ardent seem to work tubeless with out issue....this tire however....nope. I fought with this thing for about an hour. Gave in and let the LBS set it up. They did and it was holding air....that is until I actually rode it. about 2 miles in, the first Burp happened, and then another and another and so forth. It was leaking stans at the bead so bad my legs were getting wet at one point /boggle. But anyway again, might be these Giant wheels, which I'm not thrilled with anyway. But that's not why I really gave it a low mark. So one time after it burped too much air to let go, I stopped to put more air in it. As I did this, I noticed something pretty startling. This thing had probably 40 or so pin holes of stans spurting out of it, in the area of the tread, all around the tire. Yeah, really disappointed. I rode Nevgals for a couple years with no issues, I was looking forward to seeing how these would do. Needless to say it's back on the shelf.

Favorite Trail:   American Standard

Duration Product Used:   2 hours

Purchased At:   Local

Similar Products Used:   Nevgals, IRD Fire XC Pro, Ardents, Small Block 8's, Ignitor

Bike Setup:   Lynskey Pro 29

Submitted by jonny boy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2012

Strengths:    Works well when there is tread.
Tubeless setup was simple.
Relatively lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Wears QUICK

Bottom Line:
First tire I setup tubeless on my Stan's wheelset. It worked well, and I could run lower pressures no problem.

After one long weekend in Moab, the center treads are almost completely worthless. The treads are not deep to start, and now there is nothing left. I got probably 2 dozen rides out of this tire and am now looking for a replacement.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Similar Products Used:   WTB - I have had great luck with their tires over the years.
Conti - Only once, wore too fast for my taste (this was years ago so things may have changed).

Bike Setup:   2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by Guerdonian

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2012

Strengths:    Grippy, no "dead spot", Fast

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
This is the best do all tire I have ridden yet. The grip is outstanding, and when leaning the bike over in fast turns there is no "dead spot" of loss or traction. It is consistent and predictable throughout the lean. The tire also rolls quickly on hard back, and maintains decent grip in loose and dusty conditions. It also has enough air volume to take up some of the hit in rockier country. Excellent tire, would highly recommend it.

Similar Products Used:   Nevigal, Small block 8, Nanoraptor, weirwolf, blue groove, Spec. Enduro, Captain, Butcher

Bike Setup:   Used on a Titanium Hard Tail 29er

Submitted by stygz1 a Weekend Warrior from Bonaire, GA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2012

Strengths:    Fast rolling, Holds a corner well. Predictable handling. Climbs well. I went tubeless when I bought this tire. Tire seems to keep very good momentum with my set up. Very please and would buy again.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This is not a mud tire and does not imply it is. Rolls fast and does not appear it will pack up with mud. The 2.1 seems to be true to size. It has a very rounded profile when mounted. Grips most every thing here without issue. Still experimenting with tire pressure. So far I am running about 25psi front and rear. Some people really like the Navegal in the front with the slant six in the back, I can see that also working very well if you have more loose over hardpack. I would buy again.

Favorite Trail:   Pig trail

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager jones XR, Bontrager XR4

Bike Setup:   2011 Fuel EX8

Submitted by sdenginerd a All Mountain Rider from del mar, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2012

Strengths:    Grippy
Fast

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
This tire is extremely fast and very grippy for so-cal riding. The Nevegal works well as a rear tire but it is pretty slow on the flats and uphills. I was amazed how fast this tire is compared to most aggressive tires, but didn't seem to hold any less. In fact, for sandstone uphills, this thing climbs way better than a Nevegal could ever hope to.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal, Excavator

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Roscoe 3

Submitted by Zachariah a All Mountain Rider from Palm Desert, CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2012

Strengths:    ~Fast roller
~Mounts tubeless easily
~Good climbing/off-camber traction
~Decent wear

Weaknesses:    ~Heavy @660g a tire

Bottom Line:
I've tried nearly ALL lightweight, low rolling resistance XC tires out there and the only other tire that beat it, was the pricey Schwalbe Rocket Ron. Would I buy it again? YES....

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek Park (24Hrs of Adrenalin Course)

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.1
Maxxis Aspen 2.10
Continental Mountain King 2.2
WTB Moto 2.1
Stan's Raven 2.2

Bike Setup:   2010 Giant Anthem X2 - NoTubes ZTR Crest wheelset, SRAM X0 shifters/rear derailleur, Shimano XTR front derailleur/cassette/crankset, Giant Contact SLR stem/riser bars/seatpost, Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow saddle....equals a 22-pound XC/All Mountain rocket

Submitted by flyingsqrl a Weekend Warrior from London, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2012

Strengths:    Grippy. Telegraphs the breakaway point very well. Can be pushed into two wheel drifts at the limit.

Weaknesses:    Grabby on turn-in as a front tire at least on hardpack.
Wears a little fast on rocky and loose over hard trails

Bottom Line:
The Slant Sixes were used on a trip to AZ and Utah in the spring of 2011. After 225 miles of riding (Phoenix/Sedona/Flagstaff/Hurricane) the rear center knobs were gone. As a rear tire it did not work great on that trip, and as a front tire it was average, so can't recommend it for desert riding. But I replaced the rear with another Slant Six when I got home.
On the clay hardpack trails in Ontario, it gripped well in the rear and did not wear quickly. On the front, it was grabby on turn-in which meant always having to correct. It would oversteer (turn tighter than I wanted), so I was always fighting with the bars. Not great. Guitar Ted's review mentions this issue.
The Slant Six is a reasonably priced and reasonably light tire, but not recommended due to wear and grabby turn-in.
Switched to SB8's (2.3 front and rear) late in the season and have not looked back. They grip on the clay hardpack, they roll fast and they have not worn much. Surprisingly the SB8's are a better when the clay gets a bit greasy (wet) too.

Favorite Trail:   Kingdom Trails

Purchased At:   Outspokin Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Kenda SB8

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Epiphany SST.2

Submitted by RobbieO a Weekend Warrior from Newcastle, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2011

Strengths:    rolls good & grips at the same time

Weaknesses:    pressure sensitive

Bottom Line:
way better the expected usung 2.1DTC folding bead, I am sold on Kenda tyres now!

Favorite Trail:   Seuss Land

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Monorail & Maxxis Advantage

Bike Setup:   used on the rear of C'dale Prophet

Submitted by greenblur a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2011

Strengths:    I use the 29" version and I run them tubeless on Stan's rims with Stan's sealant. They are one of the few good tires for Central Texas. Most of our trails are a nasty mix of sand, loose babyheads and technical rock sections. We also have lots of fast hard-pack; these tires roll very well the fast parts.

Weaknesses:    The Slant Six's are a hybrid tire; not too knobby but not too slick. They work where I live but I could see them not being fast enough for hard core racers and not grippy enough for serious downhill folks.

Bottom Line:
Mountain biking in Central Texas is damn tough. We deal with all sorts of terrain and need a tire that can do it all. You also need to run tubeless to combat pinch flats and thorns. These fit the bill more than any other I've tried.

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Greenbelt

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sport Shop

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Jones, WTB NanoRaptors, Maxxis Ignitors - all 29 inch.

Bike Setup:   Salsa Spearfish - Reba RL, X7/X9 shifters/derailleurs, RaceFace Atlas AM crank, Kenda Slant Six tires, ODB lock ons, Fizik seat

Submitted by carlostruco a Racer from Bayamon, Puerto Rico

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2011

Strengths:    Super grip and cornering. Vary fast. Performs above average on wet and muddy conditions even though it is not a "mud tire"

Weaknesses:    Bit heavy even for a "tube tire". Thin sidewalls...

Bottom Line:
Great all around tire. Very fast on hard pack and good grip on technical stuff. Performs well and sheds mud fast.

Favorite Trail:   Monagas

Purchased At:   Pro Bike

Similar Products Used:   SB8, Captain Control, Fast Trak,Hutchinson Python

Bike Setup:   Pivot Mach4, Fox, Crank Brothers Cobalt, SRAM XX and X0, Magura Marta SL

Submitted by HatePavement a Racer from MO

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2011

Strengths:    Great traction on loose gravel, packed dirt, and even respectable in mud

Weaknesses:    Kenda does not recommend sealant

Bottom Line:
I have mine set up tubeless with Stan's. Great all around tire. Haven't had any flats yet, sidewalls are tough but flexible. My adventure race team has been using them all year because we never know what conditions we will face in a race...pavement, gravel, mud, rock, dirt etc.

To see full review go here:

Favorite Trail:   Berryman