Home | Reviews | Tire | Kenda

Kenda Nevegal Tire

3.87/5 (345 Reviews)

The Kenda Nevegal isThe do it all aggressiveTire. WhetherTheTerrain is loose or hard packed,ThisTire performs.The Nevegal has consistently won awards in Mountain Bike Action Magazine. Kenda has released its new aggressive RSR compound.The RSR is Kenda’s “Race Sticky” slow rebound rubber compoundThat provides excellent grip as well as performance. Intended Use: All Mountain Bead: Wire Bead Max PSI: 50 Weight: 26 x 2.5”: 1307 +/- 65 grams

Submitted by Leslie Choquette a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2013

Strengths:    Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Heavy and doesn't provide the performance I'm used to.

Bottom Line:
I ride a Specialized Epic with 26" tires and love the Specialized Captains (2.0s). When I went to replace my worn out Captains this fall I discovered my shop has very few 26" tires in stock. I had a long ride coming up and didn't want to ride it with bald tires so I bought the Kenda Nevegals (2.1s). These tires are not only heavier than the captains, they do not perform anywhere close to as well. I used them for 2 weeks, riding 120 miles, before giving them away to get rid of them. I took several nasty falls that I would never have taken with the Captains. I just couldn't count on them to corner reliably or provide traction where I needed it. My riding style: technical x-country, year round.

Submitted by Toninorco a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2013

Strengths:    I guess its so good for wet, strong dirt grounds full of stones, especially for downhill riding because these tires are most strongly that i have ever tried.

Weaknesses:    So slow rolling on dry grounds, your bike becomes a transformer to some noisy, strong, big, heavy tank.

Bottom Line:
Good tires for bad weather like winter on ice or snow, on rains, riding in forest and other bad grounds. Do NOT drive around town if you don't want that people look for you to see whose tank attack them.

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe table top, bontager.

Bike Setup:   Norco ryde (street/dirt), marzocchi dirt jumper 3...

Submitted by Wil Bloodworth a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2013

Strengths:    Traction, durability.

Weaknesses:    Extremely slow rolling

Bottom Line:
These are excellent tires. Mostly, I ride on intermediate single tracks in North Texas where the terrain is mostly packed dirt with a mixture of roots and rocks now and then. Where I was previously "scared" to go through some sections of trails I now have 100% confidence in riding them as I know these tires will simply not let go of the ground. However, because these tires are designed to grip the ground, they are less than ideal for wide-open, fast tracks. They will drastically wear you out and increase your lap times. I'm currently looking to pair a faster front tire while possibly leaving the Nevegal on the back to reduce lap times.

Yes, I would purchase this tire again.

Favorite Trail:   Erwin Park, McKinney, TX

Purchased At:   Cadence Cyclery of M

Bike Setup:   2003 26" Kona Explosif hard tail

Submitted by Andres a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2013

Strengths:    I purchased them a while ago but I wanted to finish with my previous set of tires. I finally had the chance to used these tires in my bike yesterday at Cunningham Park in NYC. I was very satisfied with them..Even though there wasn't much mud, i was able to tested them in other surfaces including leafy and rocky section i the park. They were great. I was able to corner with more confidence than before. Probably, there might be some rolling resistance but for weekend riding they are great.
I am very happy with it, and I can't wait to test them in the mud, according to the forecast there should rain in NYC on saturday, so it will be a good weekend for testing.

Weaknesses:    heavier than some other tires, but for the price Its OK.

Bottom Line:
Very nice tire. for the price.
Nice grip on dry and loose terrain.
Puncture Resistant, (tested it on very small rocks, broken tree branches and some pieces of glass (that some irresponsible people broke in the middle of the trail) and didn't have any issues.

Favorite Trail:   Syosset Bike trail

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR XT components, XTR v-brakes 26'er Mavic x819 custom wheels.

Submitted by Yukon29&single a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2013

Strengths:    Strong, goes through anything, takes a beating, lasts a long time. Fast rolling.

Weaknesses:    Heavier than avg....but so is the rider.

Bottom Line:
Very good tire. Came stock on one of my bikes and they have held up 5+ years and a lot of hard riding. Heavier than other tires but stiff and smooth. Very very good tire.

Favorite Trail:   Draper Lake. S. OKC

Duration Product Used:   5 years

Purchased At:   Sun N ski

Bike Setup:   29" single speed rigid

Submitted by christobal a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2013

Strengths:    Grip

Weaknesses:    Weight, rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
Went from Racing Ralph to these specifically for a trip that would include lots of technical and muddy trails. The Racing Ralph would have been useless in the mud. The Nevegals gave plenty of grip - more than expected and I will agree with others that they were confidence inspiring on the rocky/rooty stuff. They felt slower than the RR and weighed about 200g more for each tire.
I was expecting the decreased rolling resistance but took the tradeoff because I needed better grip. Overall they worked as intended and I will leave them on for normal everyday trail riding but put the RR back on for the 3 races I do a year.

Submitted by babyjames009

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2013

Strengths:    traction, grip, stability

Weaknesses:    heavy, really slow rolling

Bottom Line:
really heavy and slow rolling, made bike feel like a tank . 26x2.35 .. probably best used for a downhill bike .

Submitted by Doctork21 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2013

Strengths:    Pros : Good Traction, Rugged, Versatile
Best Uses : Climbs, Downhill, Single Track

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I've had these tires for a several months now. They replaced the standard issue tires that came with my mountain bike. Wow, what a difference in control and steep climbing and descents in a variety of off-road terrains. From hard pack to loose dirt and rocks, this tire has got you covered.

I want to add that this is a Mountain Bike Tire, NOT a Road Tire. I give no credibility to any review that judges this tire for its performance (or lack of it) on the road. This is a knobby tire with no connected center tread, so simply put "It does what it's supposed to do", and does it extremely well I might add. So if you want to city/urban commute or keep up with your road biking friends on-road then change your tires for a road tire or get a road bike. Nobody would expect a racing slick tire to be used for mountain biking up steep off-road hills would they? Then what's the point of anyone's review commenting on how this tire may be slow on the roads. This is an awesome Mountain Bike tire. Get it and you will mountain bike with complete confidence!

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2013

Strengths:    Probably the tire with the most grip out there
Just point it and it will go there
good cornering

Weaknesses:    HEAVY
Honestly the tire with the worst rolling resistance I've ever tried

Bottom Line:
Great grippy tire, but if you want speed stay away. these came stock on my KHS XC204 and I tried em for a month, and i'm definitely switching them out for this season. If you don't mind the slow rolling. go ahead and use them.

Favorite Trail:   Shorthills

Purchased At:   Ski Pro Shop

Submitted by CoBo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2013

Strengths:    Look around and you can find this tire for a great price. Durable and works great as a front tire.

Weaknesses:    Slow rolling

Bottom Line:
Have used this as my front tire for the last three years after trying several different brands. I ride flowing (dry) single track so it provides the right amount of traction needed up front. The only time I use this as a back tire is doing shuttle runs at ski resorts, other wise this tire is way to slow to be used front and back. If you pair it with the small block 8 or something similar it creates a a great combination of speed and traction.

Duration Product Used:   years

Purchased At:   Various stores (loca

Submitted by david

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2012

Strengths:    beefy. large well spaced lugs

Weaknesses:    grip on hardpack climbs

Bottom Line:
replaced a set of specialized ground control that came on my niner emd9. These 2.25 x 29 promised better grip, based on design and reviews. But, they have been a dissapointment on dry harpack and leafy climbs. They slip alot even when I am paying close attention to the torque being applied. Maybe it's due to the knobs being squarish .......rather than sharp cornered. Pros........they can easily run lower pressure and have good cush. Just not enough for the dry conditions that I ride in. The worn down specialized ground control had better grip than these new tires. Sorry , Kenda.

Submitted by brucea a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2012

Strengths:    Great Traction on Loose over Hard
Ramped Center Lugs offer Low Rolling Resistance
Puncture Resisant Sidewalls
Great Hold in Corners
Can be Run at Low Pressure
Good All Mountain Tire
Excellent Braking
Good Value

Weaknesses:    Not Pretty

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a do everything tire for any and all trail conditions, the Kenda Nevegal Tomac is a great choice. I run the 2.35" Kenda Tomac DTC on both front and back. I have been consistently pleased with the traction on both hard pack and loose conditions. I was surprised that a tire with so much traction rolls so easily. I live in the Colorado Rockies near Buffalo Creek that includes trails for all levels off riders. I have found the Kenda Nevegals work equally well on rocky terrain and loose decomposed granite. These tires may be overkill if all you ever ride is nice firm hard pack trails. But if you need a value-priced tire that can get you through knarly terrain in a hurry, this tire is the best I have found.

Favorite Trail:   Gashouse Gulch, Buffalo Creek

Brakes: Shimano XT Ice Tech, 180mm Front, 160mm Rear
Drivetrain: Complete Shimano XT 9-speed

Submitted by Bogeyman

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2012

Strengths:    Great off-road grip, corners very stable & very good traction on rocky or muddy terrain

Weaknesses:    Rolls loud and heavy on pavement.

Bottom Line:
This tire saved me several times. I'm using a freeride setup and there are times when we go down on a steep winding terrain, I get sometimes caught up with my other buddies stopping along the way where I would try to change course to avoid crashing, my nevs worked like a charm. I had avoided a crash during a downhill trail and my rear caught up in a small canal...although it drifted, my front kept its ground during cornering...I almost went pale after that, but hey, I'm glad that nobody got hurt and still no scratches on me. I'm a weekend trail rider and newbie...Nevegals (John Tomac Ed) rocks!!!

Submitted by dougcw_1

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2012

Strengths:    Grip Grip and more Grip

Weaknesses:    The sound they make while riding the road and feel is just wrong

Bottom Line:
These are a great tire picked up a pair really cheap and replaced my maxxis ardent best move I have ever made on my bike. these handle everything from rock gardens, wet roots to swimming in mud. where I live i can go from dry hard pack to mud up to my disks in seconds and these still grip. I am still yet to get a puncture with these tires, if only my rims were as hardy.

Submitted by StuntmanMike

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2012

Strengths:    Amazing grip, great looks (if you're into that!)

Weaknesses:    not that big a deal to me, but somewhat heavy

Bottom Line:
I went with 2.35's, and when I got one of them mounted up, it was a bit wider than the 2.2 Bontrager XR1 it was replacing. So it looks like the sizing is pretty close to advertised.

I went with Stick-E front, and DTC rear. The Stick-E is cool, if you squeeze one of the knobs, you can feel that it's soft rubber and actually a bit tacky, and that once released it takes a moment to form back into shape.

The Stick-E seems to work, as I crossed plenty of (sometimes wet) roots at an angle, as well as crossing some offcamber sections with roots and sometimes mossy rock. No slip from the front. Only time in two hours that the front loss grip was when I hit a corner that was basically all sand, the tire slipped a few inches then caught.

The bike felt like a tank with these tires on it, I was amazed at how well I could climb. Loose, rocky hillclimbs? No problem. Throw in some roots as well? The Nevs laughed at them. This was my first time out on this trail, and as I was approaching a few of these climbs I thought no way would I make it. But as long as I used the right technique, the Nevs climbed up with basically no wheelspin. I can count on one hand the number of times I spun in 2 hours.

I've read in a lot of reviews about how these are slow rolling, but I didn't notice. Even if they are, for the type of riding I do, the terrific grip is much more important to me.

Anyway, I'm incredibly happy with them, they handled everything that trail had to throw at them with ease.

Also, as being someone who's just getting back into riding after a decade, I LOVE riding with these high volume tires! My last bike that I used to ride offroad had 1.95's on it, and these 2.35's perform SO much better, both traction wide and shock absorbtion wise. I was very impressed how the rear tire damped alot of impacts at roughly 35psi.

NOTE: I got them at 50% off as the "deal of the day" at a certain website, hence the 5 chiles for value. Being budget mindeed, I most likely would NOT have bought them at full price.

Nevegal SCT vs UST

I have 26" UST rims on my bike and have been using the Nevegal UST tires for about 1000 miles now. I keep my tire pressure between about 27-30psi. The tires have been amazing with zero problems but the back tire especially is starting to get pretty worn and it's about time for a change. Anyway... ... Read More »

Anyone running Nevegal 2.2 front/ XKing 2.2 Rear?

Anyone running this combo? How does it perform?Read More »

Kenda Nevegal tubeless

Hello, was wondering if the Kenda Nevegal can be tubeless. Never had any experience with tubeless tires so can anybody give me a rundown of how to do it? Thanks in advance!Read More »

Nevegal 650B tubeless issues?

OK, so I've run Nevegal UST's with Stan's on my 26" bike for a couple years with no problem...sharp rocks, goatheads, cactus, whatever...no problems. As for the sealant -- screw the warranty, when was the last time anyone had a warranty claim on a tire? Sealant is mandatory here in New Mexico. T ... Read More »

Kenda Telonix/Nevegal

Anyone running this combo? I havethe Nevegal 2.35 on the front and the Telonix 2.20 on the real. Previously, I ran a Nevegal 2.1 on the rear, but never really felt stable or confident with that combo. The Telonix kind of looks like a "rear" tire and the combo has been pretty good for me the last ... Read More »