Home | Reviews | Tire | Kenda

Kenda Nevegal Tire

3.86/5 (348 Reviews)

The Kenda Nevegal isThe do it all aggressiveTire. WhetherTheTerrain is loose or hard packed,ThisTire performs.The Nevegal has consistently won awards in Mountain Bike Action Magazine. Kenda has released its new aggressive RSR compound.The RSR is Kenda’s “Race Sticky” slow rebound rubber compoundThat provides excellent grip as well as performance. Intended Use: All Mountain Bead: Wire Bead Max PSI: 50 Weight: 26 x 2.5”: 1307 +/- 65 grams

Submitted by Kevin Stafford a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2015

Strengths:    Okay. I was looking to get a more aggressive tire. One dealer pointed me in the direction of the Ardent by Maxxis; a good looking tire with good ratings, however, not as aggressive as I was looking for. He didn't have anything else in stock that would suit my wants. So I check out another shop. There, they had better stock...luck of the draw, I suppose.
The nobs on the Nevegal caught my eye immediately. And the price was better than the Ardents. A quick google...to this site, helped me along on my choice to purchase these tires. I even chose to forgo the option of running a more...roll friendly tire on the rear.
...My bike came with fairly knobby tires, in the first place, so the idea of increased roll resistance didn't concern me.
I'm not afraid of losing some momentum on a level section of the trail, when I know that I can make up for the loss of speed by digging into the corners with greater confidence.
And that's exactly what I got.
On a climb, my grip is better than ever. What's more, I don't need to drop so much in speed when approaching a series of corners, and when I'm leaning hard to the inside, especially when the trail is sloping to the outside, I can feel that the tire's "got this".
I don't do serious gravity type mountain biking, but I can tell you that if you're that rider who seeks out those single track cross country trails...those woodsy back country, up and down, technically difficult geographies, I can't see how this tire could disappoint.
About geography. I live in a city that has a wide range of environments to chose from for your biking needs. I prefer the desert...there, you'll get your hard pack with fine powdery dust, inches thick over top. And you'll see the best sun sets there. However, I'm frequently in the woods where you'll find yourself steaming away up a trail deep and loamy with pine needles.
This tire takes my through it all.

Weaknesses:    roll resistance.

Bottom Line:
If you leave the road, get the bloody tires.

Submitted by Terence a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2015

Strengths:    The tire is crazy grippy. It is awesome for trails with mud, gravel, snow, ice, you name it. For a dry trail, the ride may even be a little boring because they grip so well that you never really feel in danger of losing control unless things get really sketchy (in which case, no tire is going to save you). They are a real confidence booster, and allow me to corner harder than I ever have with any other tire.

The DTC compound lasts a long time. I have been bombing around on these on my front wheel for over two years and it only looks about half worn (maybe). This is with a combination of street, trail, gravel, dirt, roots and ruts, rocks, etc.during the entire period, on a pretty constant basis (at least 3 times per week except in December - February).

The side knobs allow you to corner well, as they really grab and keep you stable even at levels as high as 45 PSI.

I can always find the tire on sale on Amazon, so I pretty much exclusively buy from there (in Canada the MSRP at a bike shop for one of these is 85 dollars, on Amazon I can get it for 35 dollars).

Weaknesses:    The tire does drag. A lot. Also it is heavier than most tires you will ever use. This makes the tire a good front wheel tire but a somewhat difficult rear tire, and until recently I have been running it in combination with a slant 6 in the rear. However, once the slant 6 wears down I have found that I literally fishtail non stop with every pedal stroke in the really bad muddy areas. With one of these on the back I don't have that issue. Again, it is really a trade off since I always bike to my bike trail, ride, and bike back (I don't drive my car to the trails ever). The ride there is always a bit of a slog, and so is the ride back. But the ride at the trail? Perfect.

Bottom Line:
Overall a solid tire that will not break your bank if you are looking in the right places. The dual tread compound really works, and increases the durability of the tire. The tire is able to handle itself well in muddy, sandy, gravel filled nightmare trails, and sheds mud quite well to boot. In addition, the tire performs well in ice and snow (if you are into that kind of thing, which I am). The only real negatives are that it is not a good street tire because of the drag and noisy nature of the beast, and they are pretty noticeably heavy. However, I have not been disappointed with my two purchases yet.

I would recommend this tire for beginners like me, since it inspires confidence in cornering and encourages you to tackle trails no matter how rough of shape they are in, or what time of year.

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Rapid Rob, Kenda Small Block Eight, Kenda Slant Six

Bike Setup:   2013 Giant Talon 29er 0 - Dual Kenda Nevegal, SRAM X7 Crankset

Submitted by Vassago6 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2015

Strengths:    Good looks, decent traction level, low weight in Tubeless 2.1

Weaknesses:    High rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
I recently decided to build up a new rig. As part of my all-mountain pursuit I had included the Kenda Nevegal, Folding Tubeless in a 2.1 as my F/R choice. Once built and ready for the initial street spin I could tell right away that there was resistance. So much so that I suspected the brakes to be dragging. I stopped and spun the wheels, they displayed no brake malfunction. Again I pressed on an felt as though I was dragging an anchor around. Made a trip back home and rechecked the brakes and wheels- all was good. Next day, hit the trail. Good and tacky from recent rains, the tires hooked up decent but again... That phantom drag. Did some checking on line and read others report that the level of rolling resistance was high. Swapped the tires for Conti TKs. No more resistance. Weird, kenda needs to revamp this design.

Favorite Trail:   Durango, co

Duration Product Used:   Two rides

Purchased At:   Price point

Similar Products Used:   Kenda excavators, Conti Trail Kings,

Bike Setup:   Ibis mojo, all mountain

Submitted by Leslie Choquette a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2013

Strengths:    Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Heavy and doesn't provide the performance I'm used to.

Bottom Line:
I ride a Specialized Epic with 26" tires and love the Specialized Captains (2.0s). When I went to replace my worn out Captains this fall I discovered my shop has very few 26" tires in stock. I had a long ride coming up and didn't want to ride it with bald tires so I bought the Kenda Nevegals (2.1s). These tires are not only heavier than the captains, they do not perform anywhere close to as well. I used them for 2 weeks, riding 120 miles, before giving them away to get rid of them. I took several nasty falls that I would never have taken with the Captains. I just couldn't count on them to corner reliably or provide traction where I needed it. My riding style: technical x-country, year round.

Submitted by Toninorco a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2013

Strengths:    I guess its so good for wet, strong dirt grounds full of stones, especially for downhill riding because these tires are most strongly that i have ever tried.

Weaknesses:    So slow rolling on dry grounds, your bike becomes a transformer to some noisy, strong, big, heavy tank.

Bottom Line:
Good tires for bad weather like winter on ice or snow, on rains, riding in forest and other bad grounds. Do NOT drive around town if you don't want that people look for you to see whose tank attack them.

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe table top, bontager.

Bike Setup:   Norco ryde (street/dirt), marzocchi dirt jumper 3...

Submitted by Wil Bloodworth a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2013

Strengths:    Traction, durability.

Weaknesses:    Extremely slow rolling

Bottom Line:
These are excellent tires. Mostly, I ride on intermediate single tracks in North Texas where the terrain is mostly packed dirt with a mixture of roots and rocks now and then. Where I was previously "scared" to go through some sections of trails I now have 100% confidence in riding them as I know these tires will simply not let go of the ground. However, because these tires are designed to grip the ground, they are less than ideal for wide-open, fast tracks. They will drastically wear you out and increase your lap times. I'm currently looking to pair a faster front tire while possibly leaving the Nevegal on the back to reduce lap times.

Yes, I would purchase this tire again.

Favorite Trail:   Erwin Park, McKinney, TX

Purchased At:   Cadence Cyclery of M

Bike Setup:   2003 26" Kona Explosif hard tail

Submitted by Andres a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2013

Strengths:    I purchased them a while ago but I wanted to finish with my previous set of tires. I finally had the chance to used these tires in my bike yesterday at Cunningham Park in NYC. I was very satisfied with them..Even though there wasn't much mud, i was able to tested them in other surfaces including leafy and rocky section i the park. They were great. I was able to corner with more confidence than before. Probably, there might be some rolling resistance but for weekend riding they are great.
I am very happy with it, and I can't wait to test them in the mud, according to the forecast there should rain in NYC on saturday, so it will be a good weekend for testing.

Weaknesses:    heavier than some other tires, but for the price Its OK.

Bottom Line:
Very nice tire. for the price.
Nice grip on dry and loose terrain.
Puncture Resistant, (tested it on very small rocks, broken tree branches and some pieces of glass (that some irresponsible people broke in the middle of the trail) and didn't have any issues.

Favorite Trail:   Syosset Bike trail

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR XT components, XTR v-brakes 26'er Mavic x819 custom wheels.

Submitted by Yukon29&single a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2013

Strengths:    Strong, goes through anything, takes a beating, lasts a long time. Fast rolling.

Weaknesses:    Heavier than avg....but so is the rider.

Bottom Line:
Very good tire. Came stock on one of my bikes and they have held up 5+ years and a lot of hard riding. Heavier than other tires but stiff and smooth. Very very good tire.

Favorite Trail:   Draper Lake. S. OKC

Duration Product Used:   5 years

Purchased At:   Sun N ski

Bike Setup:   29" single speed rigid

Submitted by christobal a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2013

Strengths:    Grip

Weaknesses:    Weight, rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
Went from Racing Ralph to these specifically for a trip that would include lots of technical and muddy trails. The Racing Ralph would have been useless in the mud. The Nevegals gave plenty of grip - more than expected and I will agree with others that they were confidence inspiring on the rocky/rooty stuff. They felt slower than the RR and weighed about 200g more for each tire.
I was expecting the decreased rolling resistance but took the tradeoff because I needed better grip. Overall they worked as intended and I will leave them on for normal everyday trail riding but put the RR back on for the 3 races I do a year.

Submitted by babyjames009

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2013

Strengths:    traction, grip, stability

Weaknesses:    heavy, really slow rolling

Bottom Line:
really heavy and slow rolling, made bike feel like a tank . 26x2.35 .. probably best used for a downhill bike .

Submitted by Doctork21 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2013

Strengths:    Pros : Good Traction, Rugged, Versatile
Best Uses : Climbs, Downhill, Single Track

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I've had these tires for a several months now. They replaced the standard issue tires that came with my mountain bike. Wow, what a difference in control and steep climbing and descents in a variety of off-road terrains. From hard pack to loose dirt and rocks, this tire has got you covered.

I want to add that this is a Mountain Bike Tire, NOT a Road Tire. I give no credibility to any review that judges this tire for its performance (or lack of it) on the road. This is a knobby tire with no connected center tread, so simply put "It does what it's supposed to do", and does it extremely well I might add. So if you want to city/urban commute or keep up with your road biking friends on-road then change your tires for a road tire or get a road bike. Nobody would expect a racing slick tire to be used for mountain biking up steep off-road hills would they? Then what's the point of anyone's review commenting on how this tire may be slow on the roads. This is an awesome Mountain Bike tire. Get it and you will mountain bike with complete confidence!

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2013

Strengths:    Probably the tire with the most grip out there
Just point it and it will go there
good cornering

Weaknesses:    HEAVY
Honestly the tire with the worst rolling resistance I've ever tried

Bottom Line:
Great grippy tire, but if you want speed stay away. these came stock on my KHS XC204 and I tried em for a month, and i'm definitely switching them out for this season. If you don't mind the slow rolling. go ahead and use them.

Favorite Trail:   Shorthills

Purchased At:   Ski Pro Shop

Submitted by CoBo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2013

Strengths:    Look around and you can find this tire for a great price. Durable and works great as a front tire.

Weaknesses:    Slow rolling

Bottom Line:
Have used this as my front tire for the last three years after trying several different brands. I ride flowing (dry) single track so it provides the right amount of traction needed up front. The only time I use this as a back tire is doing shuttle runs at ski resorts, other wise this tire is way to slow to be used front and back. If you pair it with the small block 8 or something similar it creates a a great combination of speed and traction.

Duration Product Used:   years

Purchased At:   Various stores (loca

Submitted by david

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2012

Strengths:    beefy. large well spaced lugs

Weaknesses:    grip on hardpack climbs

Bottom Line:
replaced a set of specialized ground control that came on my niner emd9. These 2.25 x 29 promised better grip, based on design and reviews. But, they have been a dissapointment on dry harpack and leafy climbs. They slip alot even when I am paying close attention to the torque being applied. Maybe it's due to the knobs being squarish .......rather than sharp cornered. Pros........they can easily run lower pressure and have good cush. Just not enough for the dry conditions that I ride in. The worn down specialized ground control had better grip than these new tires. Sorry , Kenda.

Submitted by brucea a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2012

Strengths:    Great Traction on Loose over Hard
Ramped Center Lugs offer Low Rolling Resistance
Puncture Resisant Sidewalls
Great Hold in Corners
Can be Run at Low Pressure
Good All Mountain Tire
Excellent Braking
Good Value

Weaknesses:    Not Pretty

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a do everything tire for any and all trail conditions, the Kenda Nevegal Tomac is a great choice. I run the 2.35" Kenda Tomac DTC on both front and back. I have been consistently pleased with the traction on both hard pack and loose conditions. I was surprised that a tire with so much traction rolls so easily. I live in the Colorado Rockies near Buffalo Creek that includes trails for all levels off riders. I have found the Kenda Nevegals work equally well on rocky terrain and loose decomposed granite. These tires may be overkill if all you ever ride is nice firm hard pack trails. But if you need a value-priced tire that can get you through knarly terrain in a hurry, this tire is the best I have found.

Favorite Trail:   Gashouse Gulch, Buffalo Creek