Home | Reviews | Tire | Kenda

Kenda Nevegal UST Tire

3.21/5 (38 Reviews)
Weight : 770 grams MSRP : $54.99

The Kenda Nevegal UST tire has tall knobs designed to penetrate and hold on loose terrain. Perfect for loose or wet conditions.

Submitted by Greg a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2014

Strengths:    Excellent traction
Durability

Weaknesses:    Heavy
High rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Kenda Nevegal, 26x2.1, UST. I have used this tire for one season on some of the toughest trails along Colorado's front range and Moab.

This tire has great traction in a wide range of conditions, and that is a great quality to have as an all-mountain rider. While the tread life is shorter than some other tires I've used, it has held up well. I haven't lost any lugs. I have had no flats and never lost a stitch of air until recently; I must have run over a cactus or something that has caused a slow leak between the treads. I have run without sealant.

I found this tire to be heavy and has a lot of rolling resistance. Going tubeless is supposed to improve these qualities but I don't think I've gotten that. Next I'm going to try a tubeless ready tire that is lighter than the Nevegal UST and hopefully lower rolling resistance.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   All Mountain full suspension

Submitted by jrogs

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, good traction, don't leak

Weaknesses:    Heavy, slow, noisy

Bottom Line:
Tjese tires are super grippy and work perfect if you are not in a race. They are sort of heavy. They have good traction.

Submitted by Tillers_Rule a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2012

Strengths:    Grippy, strong

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
26" run mostly cross country, a bit of all mountain. 2.1 in the rear at 40 psi, 2.35 up front at 35 psi on a FS. I"m 6'4", 210 lbs geared up. These tires are a good value and last a decent while. I go through rears every 6 months or so and fronts every year. This is with 2-4 ride a week on hard packed, dusty, so cal terrain. The only flats I get are usually in the rear and due to pinch flat after launching off a drop off and landing with the side wall on a rock. Just picked up a 29" er and will definitely give these a shot.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hodges

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer dart and smoke.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR.

Submitted by SilentG a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2012

Strengths:    Grippy, inexpensive, seated up well on my Mavic XM819. Do not wear particularly quickly on rear

Weaknesses:    Burped with lateral hits at 23 PSI to 30 PSI, weeping of Slime in certain spots, sidewalls a bit thin for a UST tire compared to other (WTP, Conti) UST tires I have used.

Bottom Line:
I ran the 2.1 UST on the rear of my Kona Dawg for over a month and I liked this tire but ultimately replaced it with a Conti Trail King 2.2 Black Chili.

For most riding this tire does just fine, however, I ran into an issue with small burps when going up rock ledges (perpendicular to my tire).

I would not burp when cornering, whipping through a rock garden, etc but I would burp and spew some sealant consistently on these ledges and I have not had this happen with any other UST tire.

I tried modulating pressure from 23 PSI to 30 PSI and no change. Does not happen with other UST tires on the same trails.

I'm about 200 lbs geared up and I don't ride in an overly aggressive fashion. The only thing I can think of is that sidewall at 2.1 is not stout enough to resist these hits.

I had no problems with bouncing around in rough stuff as far as feeling the side knobs pinging off of rocks. Also had several spots where liquid was seeping through the tread from the Slime I had in the tire.

The traditional knock on Nevegals is rolling resistance and I'm fine with some rolling resistance when the trade-off is grip and I wasn't disappointed with these tires in that respect.

For the cost and grippiness I would say that these are worth using/trying.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   WTB Prowler MX 2.3 UST, Kenda Excavator 2.1 UST, Conti Trail King 2.2 UST Black Chili

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg, SRAM drivetrain/grip shift, SLX crank, Hope hubs, Mavic XM819, Manitou Minute, Fox Float R

Submitted by rc95066 a Weekend Warrior from Austin

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2011

Strengths:    rolls faster that the set I replaces, with better traction and a solid feeling.

Weaknesses:    I have 26 x 2.35 fr and back. They are UST's but i am using a heavier duty tube instead of sealant. It seems heavier over-all but rides like it's light as a feather

Bottom Line:
Texas is rough terrain for tires. I built these up and they are riding circles around the Maxxis setup a abandon. Affordable too

Favorite Trail:   Greenbelt

Similar Products Used:   High Rollers LUST UST's, regular Nevegal's, Holy Rollers, and a few others. Texas Hill Country is tough on tires

Bike Setup:   2007 Santa Cruz Blur X9, crossmax disc, ruined bottom bracket that makes a lot of noise

Submitted by Spanky_88007 a Weekend Warrior from Las Cruces, NM USA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2011

Strengths:    Using this as my rear tire and it grabs pretty darn good on all the loose stuff in southern NM. The sidewall has been impervious to the sharp rocks so far, and I've run it with Stan's in it with no problem. It rolls pretty fast, faster than the Velociraptor did.

Weaknesses:    Durability. I've got less than a dozen rides on it, and the center knobs are pretty beat up - but then, I am a 230 pound guy riding over nasty rocks in the desert, so I don't expect tires to last TOO long, just wish this one was lasting a little longer.

Bottom Line:
This tire has some pretty good traction, a beefy sidewall, and is fast rolling. While I like it, I think the bike mags are a little too in love with it. If you can afford to replace tires frequently, this is a great tire. I do wish Kenda would use a more durable rubber compound or reduce the price of this tire, because I don't really care to spend 40 bucks every couple of months on a tire. I could live with spending 25 bucks per tire, though.

Favorite Trail:   Dona Anas

Similar Products Used:   WTB Velociraptor(pleas please please WTB, make a UST version of this tire!)

Bike Setup:   Trek 6500

Submitted by SF TKO a Cross Country Rider from Hollywood,FL.

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2011

Weaknesses:    ALERT !!! Do not purchase these tires if you intend on using any type of sealent.I have had 3 tires fail in the last 9 months. I contacted Kenda about the problem and they were cocky about their product and did nothing to try and help me out.

Bottom Line:
Look elsewhere if you need to run a sealent. You are simply throwing your money away if you do so. Boooo to Kenda

Favorite Trail:   Snakebite Markham Park

Similar Products Used:   Various

Bike Setup:   XC

Submitted by dezertf150 a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2010

Strengths:    Great tire but only lasted one ride because I used Stan's sealant. Kenda won't stand behind the tire and you can run a not seald tire in the dezert and expect to ride for any period of time. I would have had 6 flats if it wasn't for Stan's in these tires but then two weeks later the tires came part.

Weaknesses:    Not sealable

Bottom Line:
Junk tires and a company that won't stnad behind them.

Favorite Trail:   Como

Similar Products Used:   Geax, Tioga, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Doesn't really matter.

Submitted by adobe a Cross Country Rider from New River, Arizona

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2010

Strengths:
Nice tire if you don't need to put a sealant in it - but then again where would you ride then?

Weaknesses:
Inside blisters and de-laminates after 20 or so rides when running them with tire sealant

Bottom Line:

If you ride trails where you need tire sealant (IMHO its needed as much as air) then DO NOT BUY THESE!

Tires got some terrific mountain bike mag award and they can free with the new rims I purchased so it sounded like a win win. NOT

After about 20 rides my rear tire blistered out and was un-usable. Pulled it apart and it looked like it de-laminated on the inside letting air inbetween the two layers.

After another 20 rides it happen to the front tire.

Of course Kenda says dont run them with tire sealant - Sure I also wont put air in them.

Went to Panaracer FireXCPros and am running tire sealant with no problems so far.

Purchased At:   BlueskyCycling.com

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer FireXCPro UST

2005 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp

Submitted by okiman a Cross Country Rider from Okinawa, Japan

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2010

Strengths:    Great tire for wet tracks. It is good for dry hard pack. The heavy side walls can take a lot of abuse.

Weaknesses:    Tire is a bit heavy.

Bottom Line:
These tire have great grip and transitions from hard packed to wet on the DH to power out of turns it is great. Mud is not a problem with these tires. These are one of my favorite for fromt and back or can be used in the front with a slicker tire for DH.

Favorite Trail:   Single tracks in Yomitan

Similar Products Used:   Going through all the Kenda's

Bike Setup:   Zaskar carbon

Submitted by lcirino a Cross Country Rider from BH MG Brasil

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2010

Strengths:    Fame, looks, grip when new.

Weaknesses:    Worse traction after half life span.

Bottom Line:
Worked fine up to now, but last weekend on packed wet ground it felt like a speed tire (24lbs on it). Maybe the DTC or Stick E works better, but I'm going to Larsen TT or something else.

Favorite Trail:   Mingu

Purchased At:   iBikes

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Advantage, Bontrager Jones

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX 2008

Submitted by Spartacus Rex a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to mount

Weaknesses:    Heavy, Lots of rolling resistance, questionable traction

Bottom Line:
I bought these because of how well the non UST Nevegals have worked out for me. I was running a 2.35" DTC with Stan's and was happy with how much traction the setup provided. Here in Florida Stan's dries out really quickly, plus I've burped the tire a couple of times during drops/jumps. I figured the UST version would provide the quality ride of the standard version without all of the hassles.

Boy was I wrong. Buyer beware, this is a totally different tire! On my very first ride I thought I was dragging a boat anchor. These beasts are ridiculously heavy (much more than the standard tire + tube). Once the trails got sandy I had to pedal out of the saddle just to maintain speed! At first I thought I had a brake rotor dragging or I was geared wrong.

I only have about 30 miles on them so they arent totally scrubbed in, but traction is pretty limited considering how well the regular Nevegal's bite. I spin out over any rooty climb. Maybe this will improve once they wear a little. Too bad I wont find out.

I ended up putting my worn out Nevegal DTC's back on the bike until I can afford another brand of tires.

Favorite Trail:   Vortex @ Santos

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Std Nevegal, Karma, Panaracer Fire XC, Minions

Bike Setup:   6" AM bike

Submitted by Rex Luthor a Cross Country Rider from North Van

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2009

Strengths:    Fair weights and very beefy sidewalls (almost as thick as DH casings). Very easy install/inflation on UST rims.

Weaknesses:    Claimed weight is about 100g south of reality on both the 2.1 and 2.35.
DTC just plain sucks except does roll faster than Stick-E.

Bottom Line:
I'm lost on UST for anything other than guys using them for DH (and getting rid of thick DH tube weights). For xc, I would think a light tire and tube is lighter. For North Shore use, the whole "lower pressure" thing is a complete myth. Sure, you can run lower pressure and you will not pinch flat, but you'll dent up your rims in a hurry.

It all depend on where you're riding. For me these suck. Anything other than sticky tread for 51 weeks out of 52 is no good where I live (wet and truly technical knarl).

These are decent all around tires and I would imagine would be a very good all rounder in dryer regions.

If Kenda eased up a bit on the sidewall thickness and made these in Stick-E to keep these around 1000g for the UST 2.35 then I might give them another go.

They can be had cheap, which definitely ups the value score.

DTC wears just as fast as Stick-E out back. I'll take the traction of Stick-E over (and the bit of added rolling resistance) over DTC for the PNW.

Purchased At:   pinkbike

Similar Products Used:   Other tires, but specifically every other iteration of Nevegals.

Bike Setup:   Lighter 6x6 thru axles both ends...north shore xc. Rims are 819's.

Submitted by GlazedHam a Cross Country Rider from Texas Hill Country

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2009

Strengths:    Never-failing traction on Rock, Rock over dirt, loose dirt, loose dirt over Rock, etc. I never tried this tire for anything but dry Texas trails and it never let me down. I've run this thing over some very ungroomed trails and never worried about traction at all.

Majorly strong sidewalls and knobs that don't break off.

Weaknesses:    She ain't lite!

Bottom Line:
Put this tire on the front of your bike and forget your wash-out worries ...if you ride in rocks and down steep descents.

Favorite Trail:   Flat Rock Ranch

Purchased At:   Angle Fire,NM

Similar Products Used:   Probably 45-50 different types of tires.

Bike Setup:   5 inch AM bike. I run this up front on Mavic CrossMax ST/UST with Stans. I weight about 160-165 and run the pressure at 24psi. As with most tires, they work better with lower pressures, but I've tried 22-32psi. I've never run them with a tube.

Submitted by mojavehanna a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas, NV. USA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2009

Strengths:    Seals up instantly, phenomenal traction cornering and braking, stable, predictable, durable.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I love this tire! I run a 2.3 on the front and a 2.1 rear with a Stans conversion kit and it is awesome for where I ride. I ride in loose, dry, rocky terrain that varies from hard packed sandy to sharp volcanic rock, to deep gravel washes. This tire works awesome. I like how they corner, the tire will begin to slide but it is predictable and controllable so you can "ride the slide". The rear hooks up great on steep technical climbs, the front brakes very well. The tire is the DTC compound and is lasting very well on the sharp rocks that I often ride on. Bottom line, If you ride in the desert these tires work great.

Purchased At:   Las Vegas Cyclery