Home | Reviews | Tire | Kenda

Kenda Kwick Tire

3.44/5 (9 Reviews)
Weight : 445 grams MSRP : $26.99

The minimally-treaded Kwick features an aggressive semi-slick design. Perfect for cross bikes, MTBs ridden on gravel roads but notTrails, etc. 60TPI Folding bead 325g (700cType) 445 grams (26"Type) Recommend pressure 26x1.7 - 40-65psi 700x30c - 60-85psi

Submitted by kris

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2014

Strengths:    Durable, roll right, as tread wears off, turns into quite a decent road tire.

Weaknesses:    not the best in the sloppiest conditions

Bottom Line:
Came stock on my Motobecane Fantom Cross. I put over 2000 miles on the one that started in the rear (now in front). Only had 3 flats between the two of them over that period. GREAT tire.

Bike Setup:   CX blike w Shimano 105 comps. Used mostly as commuter. Also used as weekend road rider, and Cyclocross racer (1 race)

Submitted by NS a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2014

Strengths:    fast, lasted me a long time

Weaknesses:    slippy, prone to punctures, real touchy about pressure

Bottom Line:
I've had these on my bike for like 7 years. I just now finally replaced them. No, I don't ride thousands of miles a year, but I ride regularly in summer. Mostly commuting, some trails and a few times on gnarly Montana singletrack. Obviously, these tires are not designed for intense all mountain riding, but they got me through some tough rides that were at the edge of my (non-pro) abilities. They slip out on loose material and they don't climb the best. They're fairly thin and easy to puncture but the sidewalls held up well and are finally showing weather wear. They roll forever on hard pack or pavement. I really enjoyed that part. For commuting they're nice and fast, but there are probably more durable tires that are just as good for that. People that were complaining a lot about these were either using them where they shouldn't or had them set up with the wrong pressure. I've never had any other tires last this long on any of my bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Mystic Lake MT

Purchased At:   Island Park Cycles

Bike Setup:   2007 Raleigh Mojave 4.5

Submitted by dgw2jr a Cross Country Rider from Davenport, IA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2011

Strengths:    rolls forever, hooks up in corners, good shock absorption for a 1.95

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
These tires don't look like much and they are cheap. They came with my bike. However, they are the best tires I have used to date. They are fast and they have yet to wash out on me on a corner. Kenda has a new tire out called the Happy Medium that looks like this tire except the strips in the center and the triangles are gone, and they added more transition knobs. Based on the performance of these tires, I may purchase a set of Happy Medium 2.1 for a little extra volume. If I don't like them, well I always have the Kwicks to fall back on!

Favorite Trail:   Sunderbruch Park

Purchased At:   Healthy Habits

Similar Products Used:   Intense System 4, Bontrager Connection Trail

Bike Setup:   2011 Raleigh Talus 4.0

Submitted by gismo314 a Cross Country Rider from Bourg, LA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2011

Strengths:    They're cheap

Weaknesses:    Trying to pull double duty on the tire made it useless in either application.

Bottom Line:
Kinda possesses the worst of both worlds. Not really good for trail riding as they're almost a slick in the middle and not really good for street riding as there's way too much of a contact patch and outer lugs are reverse pattern of inner tire? Felt as though I was riding through molasses whether on the trail or the street! As they came with the bike, when the chance came I couldn't wait to ditch them.

Favorite Trail:   Jurassic- Telluride, CO

Purchased At:   OEM when purchased b

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Karma's, Kenda 854's, Schwable Dirty Dan's

Bike Setup:   Stock Raleigh Mojave 4.0

Submitted by bloo a Weekend Warrior from houston

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2009

Strengths:    price, light, roll forever

Weaknesses:    not grip on wet surfaces, very slippery

Bottom Line:
i got these tires because they are cheap and needed some street/hard pack tires to use when doing urban rides when the local trails are closed(sometimes it rains too much in Houston). the tires work great on street, they roll very nicely! i have been caught in the rain with them and they just can't grip on ANY wet surface. all in all, for dry street and hard pack, these are a great cheap alternative.

Favorite Trail:   memorial

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   motobeacane hardtail

Submitted by Shoey79 a Weekend Warrior from Kamloops, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2008

Strengths:    Price, rolls fast, good cheap tire if your on and off the pavement. Only for easier trails.

Weaknesses:    Stiff rubber tears lugs if you lock up on pavement.

Bottom Line:
Handle dry trails quite well, and you don't worry about wearing them out on pavement. There only 15 bucks. I use it as rear tire in the summer around town only. Did I mention there only 15 bucks. For a 1.95 it's just over 2 inch wide on my rims.

Favorite Trail:   Peterson Cr.

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis and Kenda's

Bike Setup:   Kona Stinky

Submitted by cro-mo man a Cross Country Rider from Sherwood, Ark.

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2008

Strengths:    light, fast rolling, works well on hardpack

Weaknesses:    slippy on wet clay

Bottom Line:
I like 'em. I mostly ride on hardpack with rocks--the Kwick's element--and they perform very well. When on wet clay they lose grip, but they're not mud tires.

Favorite Trail:   rock n roll

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   stock tires

Bike Setup:   Schwinn cro-mo hardtail

Submitted by Afa Dunger a Racer from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2007

Strengths:    Relatively Smooth. Fairly light. The red ring looks cool. Less rolling resistance and quieter than knobbies.

Weaknesses:    Poor Grip! Poor Tire for Front.
I've had the following issues:
- front tire slide out when I was cornering on ashphalt with a small amount of gravel.
- back tire slide out when cornering on wet pavement.
- back tire spin when riding up a hill on grass.
- plenty of skids.
The incidents while cornering left me with a feeling of mistrust in these tires. I could never bring myself to lean into corners. I was glad to take them off (and I ran some old Kendra K-52/K-53 All Terrain Gumwalls which were great for on road). I've now got a Kendra Kwick on the rear of my shopping bike which I don't use often, and I might even take it off that. I won't use these tires for fronts ever again.

The tire is relatively thin and punctures quite easily.

Appear to wear quickly.

If you do off road use an off road tire. These things are hopeless on dry dirt. For cornering I feel even road slicks like Continental CityRide and CityContacts have better grip.

Bottom Line:
Not safe.
If you are an off-roader use an off road tire.
If you ride on the road use a city/urban/trek tire.
This middle ground tire doesn't do either job.

Similar Products Used:   This is the first and probably the last semi-slick I will use.

Bike Setup:   Shogun Trail Breaker 3 (24speed).

Submitted by Jack a Weekend Warrior from PoCo

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2004

Strengths:    This tire performed very well on the street. As for off road
I was suprised of the amount of gription it had, exspecaily going up hill. didn't spin. Going down hill is another matter...

Weaknesses:    ...and that is go easy on the brakes. The center tread that goes across the tire is desined such a way that it's like a ski going down hill with rear stoppers engaged.

Bottom Line:
Not bad tire for 50/50 road off-road use.

Purchased At:   Sports junkies

Similar Products Used:   Used another simi slick up front with out the long nobs going across.

Bike Setup:   2K4 Fringe freeride.

kenda kwick

I'm looking for the best tire for combined road riding and single track / moderate off road riding. I have a pair of Kenda Kwick 26 X 1.70 on my specialized hard rock and I think they are actually suprisingly good at grip, except for my modest skill level their limited width is a problem. They ar ... Read More »

Supergo's $10 Kenda Kwick 1.5 slicks

I've been riding a set of Kenda Kwick 1.5 slicks on my XC bike for commuting and I like them only after finding two that were straight. Be warned that these tires can potentially be warped in shaped brand new. Quality control is terrible. I bought my set instore at Supergo and my rear tire was so ... Read More »