Home | Reviews | Tire | Kenda

Kenda Kwest Tire

3.68/5 (28 Reviews)

Designed for everything from city streetsTo country roads. The Kwest is yourTicketTo fun for recreational riding. DurableTread patterns provide ampleTraction and braking control. Item Specifications Tire Bead Steel ISO Diameter 559 ISO Width 40 mm ColorTread/Side Black/Black TireType Clincher Tire Diameter 26" Tire Use Road

Submitted by Hadi

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2013

Strengths:    tough aramid surface, slick tyres pick up speed down hill & have good grip

Weaknesses:    heavy tyre & tube, made for cruising only, not for long trips, punctures are frequent,

Bottom Line:
kenda tyre & tube= frequent punctures. Not worthwhile.

Submitted by Ted Starchuk

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2012

Strengths:    Low price, cheap to replace if you go with the same.

Weaknesses:    Poor wet traction.

Bottom Line:
The Kwest came as original equipment on my Bachetta recumbent. The 20 x1.25 front tire suffered a casing rupture after 1300 km. I ran the tire at 90 psi (rated to 100psi), I'm a 160 lb rider & use pavement 90% of the time. I was disappointed that it would give up so soon. I'm trying a 1.5" Schwalbe Marathon Racer as a replacement.

Submitted by dazsowden a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2011

Strengths:    Please dont bother with these tyres, honestly. Once the road is wet these have to be the lowest scoring tyre possible. Fell off twice today and this is the first time these tyres have been out and about seriously. By the time I got back, not one but 3 punctures, 2 in the back one in the front. So to summise, no puncture resistance and awful traction. Buy a better tyre!

Weaknesses:    Puncture resistance and traction in the wet

Bottom Line:
Dont bother

Bike Setup:   Marin Lucas Valley

Submitted by ND a Cross Country Rider from Orlando, Fl, USA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2010

Bottom Line:
These came with my Cypress Hybrid/Comfort bike my parents bought 7 years ago. I have recently put them to daily use and they have held up ok. The treads are noticeably worn and they got a couple flats from glass. Thankfully they are easy to remove for patching the tube. Eventually I want to upgrade to marathon plus tires, which are supposed to be more puncture resistant though harder to remove. In the mean time, I will get more practice patching flats.

Purchased At:   Bike Works

Bike Setup:   Giant Cypress Hybrid + back rack, fenders and bar extenders

Submitted by Phil Menta a Weekend Warrior from São Paulo, SP, Brazil

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2010

Strengths:    Nice feel and grip, you can use higher tire pressure on them (I have inflated to 60PSI with no problems, manufacturer says that it inflates to 65 PSI) which makes a good commute tire, in comparance with mtb tires on the street, it really pops it off the pavement.

Weaknesses:    no weak points so far, I've skidded it for a while until I get the hang of controlling them, but not a real problem, I got used to it.

Bottom Line:
a great tire for what it offers.

Bike Setup:   MTB converted to commuter

Submitted by Chef Shoes a Cross Country Rider from Preston

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2009

Strengths:    durable, not prone to soft punctures or snakebites, rode for over 1000 miles approx with plenty of tread left. rode from london to paris with no issues whatsoever.

Weaknesses:    none from a performance perspective but tough sidewall made it an event to put on a rim

Bottom Line:
buy it if you want something to commute, no it aint "popular" but its functional and fairly inexpensive.

Favorite Trail:   Gisburn

Bike Setup:   mtb converted

Submitted by vneva a Cross Country Rider from Burnsville MN

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2009

Strengths:    700x40c Kenda Kwest tires came installed on my Giant Cypress. I have a little over 4000 miles on them and they have performed superbly. I rode the MN Iron Man in April the year before last, at 35 degrees F the tires had fine traction. This past year I rode the MN Iron Man in the rain at 45 degrees F and the tires performed well. This past weekend I rode over 100 miles in the Black Hills on both pavement and crushed limestone. No blowouts, No flats, no problems. I am looking to replace them with another set.

Weaknesses:    None known.

Bottom Line:
Great tire.

Purchased At:   OEM Giant Cypress LX

Submitted by alec a Cross Country Rider from boston ma

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2009

Strengths:    it was great to get rid of my mb tires and I go a lot faster on these w/ less work,

Weaknesses:    I NOTICED THAT SOMEONE ELSE HAD A PROBLEM WITH THESE TIRES. The wall just blew out on them. I've had them 6 mos. and while I ride every day I didn't ride from dec-feb. so three months of riding and one broke for no reason? going to EMS to try to get an exchange/refund tomorrow.

Bottom Line:
do not buy these. a tire blowout sucks, you can't patch it and walking your bike home is embarassing. looks like I'm not the only one that had a problem. most of the positive reviews are up from when the person rode w/ the tires a few times. tires shouldn't break down in 3 mons. of riding.

Purchased At:   ems

Submitted by Oliver Klose a Cross Country Rider from Bergen, Hordaland, Norway

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2007

Strengths:    good road connection

Weaknesses:    came with imperfection that causes bumpy ride, flat after just 300km - a disaster for a "puncture resistant tire"

Bottom Line:
i cannot recommend these tires. i have had two different types of puncture resistant tires of the "schwalbe" brand and i have never had a flat - up to 16-18000km for a set! i am a commuter riding 80-150km/week and this was embarrassing. even worse that one tire already came with an imperfection.

Purchased At:   dynamicbicycles.com

Similar Products Used:   schwalbe marathon, schwalbe marathon plus

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Orange, CT

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2007

Strengths:    rolls smooth and fast, looks cool on my mtb

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy for something that thin

Bottom Line:
i just started working at a bike shop and i had to ride my bike the 16miles back home (dont have my liscence yet). when i told my boss, he was like, "dude, you need some road tires on that thing". so he gave me a set of kenda kwest tires and tubes for free (they retail for $20 each). on my way home, i felt every bump and crack on the road. it was cool, i really felt connected to the road. the steering was a bit more responsive and the grips was pretty good. i was expecting to skid when i hit the brakes really hard (i have hydros), but those treads stuck to the ground.
on the flip side, they are heavy. i have the 26x1.5" which weighs about 585g. i hade kenda nevagal 1.95 on before and they weighed around 535g. despite this extra weight, they still feel faster and more responsive. i train on road a lot using my mtb, so these will help me go faster. my average speed on flats is around 18mph, but with these tires i was holding 23mph steady for a a while. great stuff for $20, or in my case, free.lol
i gave em 4 stars because they arent real road tires, but they do provide good performance to people who dont want to spend $100 for a set of tires.

Favorite Trail:   West Rock

Purchased At:   local shop

Bike Setup:   07 Spec epic expert, shimano LX-XTR for everything

Submitted by MIKE from SACRAMENTO, CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2007

Strengths:    The best overall street tire that I have ever had on a bike. The tire grips the road well while riding straight, very little resistance while on pavement. Tread on the side help grip in the corners at all speeds. I commute to work six miles each way weather permitting. Ninty five percent of my riding is on pavement. Great wearing tire after 2k miles shows very little wear if any. Rubber compund is very hard. No flats yet. The tire is fair for riding in wet conditions if you are careful.

Weaknesses:    Tire is not all that great for dirt trail riding. Tends to slip and lose traction in sand or gravel covered pavement.

Bottom Line:
One of the best tires available for street and paved trail riding available. Great recumbent or commuter tire.

Purchased At:   MIKE'S BIKES

Bike Setup:   Vison Recumbent 20 in front and 26 inch rear tires both Kwest High Pressure (100psi). Motobecane with 26 in front and rear tires both Kwest.

Submitted by David from Victoria, BC

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2007

Strengths:    Great all around tire. Performs well on road and gravel trails.

Weaknesses:    I've had this tire for about 2 months (came with my new hybrid bike) and I have had 6 flats already. I am currently looking for a tire that can withstand everyday use for my commute to work.

Bottom Line:
This tire seems to get excellent reviews from everybody, but one review at the time of writing this. If you are concerned with having a tire that resist flats, then I would advise finding a tire with more reinforcement.

Similar Products Used:   None...this tire came with my new hybrid bike. I own a road and mountain bike with very different tires equiped.

Bike Setup:   Brodie Energy stock

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Youngstown Ohio

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth riding, silent and good traction if you have to go through limited gravel or grass.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Recently got my old bike out of the basement and thought about selling it, the old original tires were dry rotted and did not hold air. The bike shop suggested kenda kwest as a better "road tire". This tire transformed my old mirada into a very nice ridable bike . . . had I know this was all I had to do to make it so good, would not have bought a recumant bike a year earlier.

Favorite Trail:   Mill Creek meto

Purchased At:   Glenwood Cycle

Bike Setup:   1990 Schwinn Mirada mtb

Submitted by Ken from Irvington, N.Y. USA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2006

Strengths:    14 months and 2773 miles and no flats on either tire on my heavy recumbent. Excellent wet weather tire. These are the original tires on the bike. I have bought the same kwest replacements to have as a backup.

Weaknesses:    A little dicey on gravel. They tend to skid on dirt also.

Bottom Line:
Very durable and strong tire. I should get 4000 miles on these before I put the replacements on.

Favorite Trail:   North county-New York