Home | Reviews | Tire | Kenda

Kenda Kross Plus Tire

3.71/5 (17 Reviews)
Weight : 620 grams MSRP : $18.50

Tire Bead: Steel ISO Diameter: 559 ISO Width: 50 mmTireType: ClincherTire Diameter: 26"Tire Use: Mountain Weight: 592 g PSI: 40-65 PSI

Submitted by Wallonie a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2012

Strengths:    Nice for combination riding (gravel trails in hydro cuts, hard packed, with paved road thrown in)

Weaknesses:    Flats at least once a week in the rear tire, despite me adding a puncture-resistant liner; sidewall strength questionable.

Bottom Line:
Looking for a better tire and tube combination.

Submitted by gussandabbydaddy a Weekend Warrior from FLorida

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Strengths:    Sticky and FAST, corners well fantastic ability to float on top of sugar sand, from parking lots to power line roads and trails.

Weaknesses:    a bit heavY, but likly adds to durability

Bottom Line:
ROLLS FAST. FLOATS OVER SUGAR SAND, DEFINATELY FEEL SECURE WITH THIS ON... FINALLY WORE OUT MY HEMISPHERES AND WAS NOT WANTING TO SPEND $40 A PC FOR THE NEWEST ARMADILLO VERSION... AND THESE HAD SHOULDERS THAT LOOKED LIKE THEY COULD HELP GOING DOWN POWERLINE AND CANAL FRONT ROADS HERE IN SO FL... SINCE KENDA IS A OEM SUPPLIER FOR MANY I GOT OVER NOT STICKING WITH "BRANDED TIRES" IF YOU DO CITY, DIRT ROAD STUFF THIS CANNOT BE BEAT...

Favorite Trail:   West Orange Trail,

Purchased At:   Bobs Bicycle Melbour

Similar Products Used:   specialized hemisphere slicks x 26 x 1.95

Bike Setup:   SPECIALIZED HARDROCK DISC PRO , 34LB TANK!.. UPGRADED BG SADDLE... CRANK BRO EGGBEATERS...WIRELESS BIKE COMPUTER

Submitted by singletrackWI a Cross Country Rider from Waukesha, WI

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2010

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, excellent on road cornering, great on hard pack, no noise

Weaknesses:    None, if used the way they are intended and designed to be used.

Bottom Line:
Ok, I am going to say, that there is not a single negative thing about the tire when used as intended. Hard pack and blue groove cornering, no problem. Asphalt, well it was designed for this. You gain sustained speed on the paved bike trails and sidewalks, it sucks up all the bumps with ease, I have jumped rocks, roots and curbs with no issue as well. I also have a dual wall rim which aids in strength and tube protection. I take the 20 minutes to swap out tires to my Panaracers or other Kenda's when hitting the single tracks. When going on asphalt trails during the week, I swap out for these Kross Plus's. They simply cannot be beat and give you the added option for light off road use. Less than $30 for a pair of them and tubes is even better.

Favorite Trail:   John Muir, Emma Carlin

Bike Setup:   2009 Giant Yukon, far from stock

Submitted by ageorge87 a Racer from FENTON, MO

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2010

Strengths:    smooth and fast rolling

Bottom Line:
buy these tires. and when you wear them out, buy another set! i ride these and i like mine a lot. usually what i do is switch out my tires with these when im not in the dirt. i would recommend them for any type of on-road, gravel, and smooth dirt surface. however, if the pavement gets wet watch out! they do get a little slippery. they do fine in a fairly straight ride but make sure to slow down in corners when they're wet.

Purchased At:   BICYCLES OF KIRKWOOD

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   hardtail mtb

Submitted by fatcat a Weekend Warrior from los angeles, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2010

Strengths:    This tire is awesome. It rolls on asphalt like a champ, it has very little rolling resistance. The inside tread is bald which makes the tire roll easily on the street and sticks on dirt hard pack. Even on wet streets this tire grips. Some say the side knobs are useless, but I have had them hold lines on curvy dirt fire roads.

Weaknesses:    Only available in 1.95 width

Bottom Line:
Highly recommend for commuters and light off road use.
However, if you are an experienced dirt rider, its a great tire regardless of the lack of knobbies.

It is super fast and you may experience too much speed on the downhills be it dirt or asphalt. So be careful.

Sadly this tire is not available in a 2.30 or 2.50 version. If it was, they will sell a lot, as many trail riders and DH
bikers would love this tire. The version I had is a 1.95, somewhat skinny tire. Its available as a "Schwinn" tire (Schwinn wrapper) but in reality its says Kenda Kross Plus on the sidewalls, got it in the bicycle section of my local OSH Home and Garden store.

Purchased At:   OSH

Similar Products Used:   Kenda K-Rads, Maxxis Highroller SS

Bike Setup:   kona hardtail

Submitted by BajaBob a Cross Country Rider from Pinole,CA

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth on pavement, grab in loose gravel on turns, better than my Maxxis High Rollers for speed.

Weaknesses:    Don't climb very well on unpaved roads.

Bottom Line:
Needed a good set of MTB slicks with knobby sidewalls on my Trek 950 Singletrack for street and fire roads. These are basically a fire road tire. I have to ride 5 miles to the trail on asphalt and then ride 15 miles on gravel/dirt fire roads. These tires do it. I have 750 miles on them and they show no wear. Put my old set of Mr. Tuffy bike liners on when I installed them. I use my Nevagals on full suspension for Wildcat Canyon steeeeep winding drops and these to cruise around the fire roads. Stops slides in loose gravel on turns and in potholes.
Wish I used these instead of Schwalbe Marathons when I rode my Trek 950 1,100 miles down the Baja on pavement and loose gravel roads. Dirt is like ice on Marathons.
Would never use them on my Yeti or Prophet.

Favorite Trail:   Wildcat Canyon

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Marathon, Kenda Nevagal DTC, Maxxis High Rollers, Continental Traffic, Continental Mountain Kings.

Bike Setup:   Trek 950 Singletrack w/ XT gruppo; Yeti ASR Carbon XTR, Cannondale Prophet w/XT gruppo

Submitted by Ken Shubert a Cross Country Rider from Santa Fe, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2009

Strengths:    Inexpensive, Good on wet surface, Corners well, Nice quiet street tread.

Weaknesses:    Seems light and thin but no flats from street debris.

Bottom Line:
600 miles of street riding with no problems. Nice and quiet and rolls easy compared to knobbies. Riding my old MTB on city streets is a pleasure now. Broken pavement, chuck-holes, and broken glass have not been a problem. A good commuter tire for the price. There are not many street tires for MTBs to choose from and the Kenda Kross is affordable.

Favorite Trail:   Suburban surfaced roads

Purchased At:   biketiresdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   None --- all others were off-road MTB tires.

Bike Setup:   '97 Specialized Hard-Rock --- stock.

Submitted by aa1pr a Weekend Warrior from aa1pr@comcast.net

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2009

Strengths:    Good for paved roads or trails, Seemed to grab on wet rocks Though.

Weaknesses:    Weak sidewall, side knobs are useless. Tire is cheaply Built

Bottom Line:
I would not recommend

Purchased At:   Do Not remember

Bike Setup:   Full Suspension

Submitted by driscoli a Cross Country Rider from Florida

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2009

Strengths:    low rolling resistance, side treads relatively grippy, cheap

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This appears to be a good cheap semi-slick now that I've started commuting more on roads and need a little less rolling resistance. They roll great and have shaved some time off my commute. They appear to grip decently in the turns but I've only been in some light mud with them, nothing more. I only have about 100 miles on them so far but part of my commute is a sharp gravel track that I've flatted on before - so far no problems. I've kept them inflated to 60-65psi for the most part. Consider these for mixed use and non-technical trails or commuting. Overall they're a good tire at the right price for my daily ride to work.

Favorite Trail:   Hannah Park, Jacksonville, FL

Purchased At:   Griffin Cycle

Similar Products Used:   none - this is my first semi-slick tire since I'm commuting partially on roads now - I switch off these with IRC Mythos tires when I'm on the trails

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Marlin
all Shimano Deore
Shimano SPD pedals
Bontrager wheels

Submitted by jim walker idaho a Weekend Warrior from Hayden, Idaho, USA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2008

Strengths:    Affordable, smooth ride on pavement. Stable in the gravel. Rolls easy and is much faster than knobbys.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I bought these tires for two reasons. They were cheap, and they are designed for pavement and gravel. I have rode on both surfaces and I love these tires. They roll so much easier than the knobbys that were on the bike and they feel very stable on the gravel. I'm very happy with these tires.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Bike Setup:   Old 90's mtn bike, no suspension, 15 speed

Submitted by todd a Weekend Warrior from carbondale, co, usa

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2008

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance. Lighter than most regular MTB tires I have used. Great as a commuter tire, used primarily on ashalt.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I found these at my LBS and I am very happy with them. I converted my old hard-tail to a burley hauler on the bike path so I wanted to try a semi-slick to increase speed and reduce drag (since burley plus 2 kids adds enough drag). After just a few rides I know they are the right way to get the desired result. I have seen a 2-3 MPH increase by changing the tires and just love the way they feel on the pavement. No comment on riding on a dirt trail because there is little chance I would take these tires off-road. I liken them to a road tire because that is what they basically are in the middle of the tread. For $30 a pair I am very satisfied and hope people rate this tire base on what it should do not what they put it through by their own "bad" decision.

Favorite Trail:   Rio Grande

Similar Products Used:   First Semi-slick tire.

Bike Setup:   99 Rockhopper Comp (special green color:)

Submitted by Tony Stewart a Cross Country Rider from Oxford UK

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2008

Strengths:    fantastic tread design, quiet, grips well on everything except very slippy mud

Weaknesses:    pathetic puncture performance, the bead gets shredded a lot when fixing the tyre and removing flats

Bottom Line:
these are pathetic for keeping out holes, we are talking about a new puncture every 5 days with about 30 km a day, sometimes three in three days, including at least 50% cross-country. that said for the front tyre they are really very good with a bit of tyre goo, just the back inner tube has got about 10 patches in three months. for anything off-road it makes sense to have punctur protection Kevlar etc

I was worried that the knobs on the sides would lose all traction when turning but they are designed at the right angle so that they hold really nicely but probably not as well as road tyres.

in mud they struggle a bit, and probably for making sharp turns in grass, but they inspire lots of confidence on the road and is on cross-country. The tread actually works to lengthen the footprint rather than having a round footprint which is good for resistance.

I'm putting two stars because I do 50% off road

Submitted by Tjay a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2007

Strengths:    Quiet onroad, low resistance, actual weight is 504 grams each tire. Light tire I might say, especially for the price!

Weaknesses:    ofcourse you do not want to go use these tire on a very rocky, sandy terrain...

Bottom Line:
if only this weighs 300g :D

Favorite Trail:   Grant Park

Purchased At:   Reeds

Bike Setup:   '99 TREK 930 singletrack

Submitted by J dog a Cross Country Rider from Dirty Jersey, US

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2006

Strengths:    low rolling resistance center with grippy side knobs, low tread wear/life. great all weather traction on paved and hardpack surfaces, good dry weather performance on virtually all surface conditions.. price

Weaknesses:    if your using these tires for what they were made for then there is no weakness..

at this price there not expensive to replace, i would give up tread life for weight savings

Bottom Line:
if your spending alot of time on and off road or ride hard packed surface but still need to have some cornering stability for turning in looser stuff these really work great. I ran them on my specialized rock hopper and could maintain a couple MPH higher pace on my rides that mixed streets, bike paths, rooty single track, rough/rocky jeep roads. they ont really work in mud or wet dirt trails but thats not what there meant for. the 1.75 size is a good between size to keep a good ride but still get you closer to skinny road tire performance..

Favorite Trail:   happy trail?

Purchased At:   oakland bike shop

Similar Products Used:   kenda kwest, not as verstile and not that much faster but still a good product

Bike Setup:   04' specialized rock hopper, 06' jamis dakar, 98 trek 820

Submitted by Brandon from Metro Detroit

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2006

Strengths:    Traction in wet weather, traction when leaving the pavement, corners well. My 10 mile commute is about 8 miles paved, 1 mile gravel, and one mile hard packed trail. Thes tires are perfect for all of these conditions when dry and when wet. Plus I'm a heavier rider and so far I have had to problems with these tires due to my weight.

Weaknesses:    High rolling resistance, a bit heavy. I have gotten many more flats on these tires than others I have used. A tire liner is highly suggested if using these for commuting.

Bottom Line:
Not bad for the price paid. I have been riding them for almost 2 years now. I used to get flats but that stopped once I got liners. These tires are pretty darned good for commuting if your route is not entirely paved, they corner well in gravel and loose-over-hardpack.
They are high resistance tires though, IMHO, and I can rarely rach speeds of 30mph or more, even on steep downhills.

Favorite Trail:   any

Bike Setup:   ATB converted to commuter with weekend offroading.

Kenda Kross Plus 700x40 Tire on a 29er

Can I run these tires on WTB Dual Duty FR 29er 28mm wide rims? Can all 700cc tires be used? I am trying to spec my gt Peace 9er for a 50 mile race. what does the x40 denote?Read More »

Kenda Kross Plus 700x42 Tire

What do you think of using these tires as a comuting option? They look like they might be good on some lite trails? [url]http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000121&subcategory=60001255&brand=&sku=21501&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20700x28%20to%20700x45%20Touring% ... Read More »