Home | Reviews | Tire | Kenda

Kenda Komodo Tire

3.45/5 (20 Reviews)
Weight : 700 grams MSRP : $23.00

Kenda Komodo Kevlar 26x2.1": All conditions XC tire features fast rolling, low profile square knobs. Multiple tie bars from knob to knob for added casing strength. Non-directional tread for front or rear use. 60 tpi casing.

Submitted by Jernas a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2012

Strengths:    Relatively wide for a 2.1 tire, solid grip in dry conditions, very strong tires, well resistant to punctures, quite durable.

Weaknesses:    Insufficient or even bad grip in mud and gravel, tires are quite heavy.

Bottom Line:
I've been using these tires for a bit more than one year which accommodates to around 400 km/300 mi. They've served me quite well and I've been relatively happy with them when riding on dry single-tracks. In muddy conditions though everything changed, tires were loosing grip constantly to the point when riding became dangerous. That's when I decided it's time for something new.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Similar Products Used:   Michelin XC tires, other Kenda XC tires and some others.

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Tyax Elite 2009

Submitted by azonic_alex a Cross Country Rider from Colchester, UK

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2011

Strengths:    OK knobbly tread
Very puncture proof in my experience - I rode over smashed beer bottles on the road by accident several times and they carried on going unaffected!
Wear life was quite good - around 900-1000 miles on the rear
Made in Taiwan rather than China

Weaknesses:    Slightly low profile knobbles which can slide around in mud sometimes.

Bottom Line:
These are good tyres for the price and very puncture proof.
I dont think they sell them aftermarket however but would use them again if they came on another bike.

Purchased At:   Stock on bike

Bike Setup:   Stock on Haro Flightline

Submitted by ajriding a Racer from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2010

Strengths:    Fast rolling, good grip. all arounder.

Bottom Line:
I run a 2.35 front and rear. I had a Nevegal 2.35 but wanted less rolling resistance. For a 2.35 you automatically have way more grip, so I was more interested in the allarounder. I started to use this tire last fall, fall of 2009, and still have it on the bike (now Sept 2010). I ride this bike primarily, and do road miles on it to get to the trail head. I have not rotated the tires. the rear finally wore out after a year, the front is still good.
I ride this bike hard and the tires are able to be pushed.
They roll over anything and even when the rear tire was worn out it would climb like crazy over anything.
I still have the front tire on and have decided to use the 1-year old 2.35 Komodo for the Pisgah Stage Race. It seems the perfect tire for this area of NC.
The tire has changed names and is no longer the Komodo, but the tread has stayed the same.

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah

Purchased At:   Race, Kenda booth

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal 2.35

Bike Setup:   tricked out XTR level all-mtn bike

Submitted by suganumayuuji a Weekend Warrior from PJ, malaysia

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2010

Strengths:    good in dry conditions, cornering is ok, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    sucky in wet, lasted like 4 months only =.="""

Bottom Line:
cornering is not that good, dint last long, slippery on roots, skiddy on rocks, it's only good in dry conditions, and I mean it, i took it off road when it is bald , it climbs well in off road, but never attempt to try it wet in bald condition, cause you will really slip off. Overall it's a fair one, use it on XC trail is good, but i don't recommend it, as it wears off quick.

Favorite Trail:   kiara

Purchased At:   came with the bike.

Submitted by hihi a Weekend Warrior from saskatoon

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2010

Strengths:    very gripy good in mud good handling light for a 2 or 3 inch tire

Bottom Line:
great tire good grip

Favorite Trail:   all mudy and bumpy ones

Purchased At:   bike docter

Bike Setup:   norco kokanee

Submitted by jbx tacos a Cross Country Rider from Eagle, Idaho

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2009

Strengths:    Not too heavy(claimed under 600g), sheds mud well, great in damp soil, decent volume for a 2.1in, rolls fast

Weaknesses:    horrible in loose over hardpack, front washes out on occasion

Bottom Line:
I have been using these since early summer and really like them. The tires have good cornering and traction if the soil is moist but when it gets dry and powdery they easily wash out. They are good in deep sand but not so good when there is a little sand over hardpack. Overall they are a good tire but there is definitely better out there.

Favorite Trail:   The secret one

Purchased At:   Bicycle Mania

Similar Products Used:   Fire XC, Weirwolf, Velociraptor, Jones AC

Bike Setup:   Rigid SS 26er

Submitted by broadwayline a Cross Country Rider from Caledon, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2009

Strengths:    Good in mud, deep terrain like freshly groomed trails, damp sinking leaves, stream crossings, tacky surfaces, good rolling resistance on pavement

Weaknesses:    heavy, poor on hardpack, does not inspire confidence at all, washes out easily and does not grip overly well in climbs, but is not terrible either

Bottom Line:
This tire is a good 'all around' tire for an average cycler.

I have put around 1100-1200km on these tires over the past 2 seasons and they still have plenty of tread left.

With that said I never had confidence to really drive into corners or lean into them on these tires on hardpack and 90% of the surfaces I ride in Southern Ontario, they are not good on roots, rocks or dry surfaces.

However they do accell in the mud, damp tacky surfaces, anything wet really or 'deep' unfortuniatly this is not what I ride.

They are also quite heavy, but I see they are not that expensive so it is not too bad I guess for their price.

Have since moved onto Hutchinson Air Lights and am VERY impressed with the improvement in handling and weight loss.

Purchased At:   Norco Nitro

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   2007 Norco Nitro

Submitted by IMHO a Weekend Warrior from Fuquay Varina

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2009

Strengths:    Discounted Price, weight, uh, nice looking

Weaknesses:    Not high performance. Tires costing less outperform.

Bottom Line:
Thought this would be an upgrade to my Michelin Country Mud so I switched them out. I was wrong. On a technical trail (some dry areas, some wet areas) with climbs, logs, twists and turns, this tire did not grip as well as the Michelin. If you were just putting through a trail and are not worried about speed then this tire would be just fine. Surely also good if you stick to dry hardpack (maybe with some loose cover, ie leaves, pine needles...), but for fast twists, turns and wet roots and logs I would slow down and approach with caution. Not a bad tire by any stretch, there are just better options.

Favorite Trail:   Bandit Trail

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Klimax Lite, Michelin Country Mud, Maxxis Larsen TT

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Fantom Team, nice!

Submitted by Interceptor1 a Weekend Warrior from Miami FL USA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2009

Strengths:    cheap, good for entry level use

Weaknesses:    Prone to flats, not good traction in sand or deep dirt, spins on climbs

Bottom Line:
The tires came stock on my bike. They give good traction on average specially on hard pack, but on loose surfaces like deep dirt (like recently plowed fields) it is a little vague when turning, on sand my bike fishtails a lot and moves sideways I have to be careful with the lean angle and steering input or I risk the front end washing out. I tried deep mud and they did pretty good, the spaced blocks provide good self cleaning when spinning, I could always keep the bike moving forward. I've experienced the rear tire slipping on climbs (my suspension is well setup not bobbing, it is the Giant Maestro 4.2). The most irritating with the tires is that they seems too weak in terms of puncture resistant. I run them at 45psi and never had pinch flats, but needle like punctures from splinters and thorns get into the tire way too easy, I had to repair like 4 flats in 4 rides, either front or rear I always got something and the tire is not worn out to say I was running them like slicks. I'll try switching to Nevegals or something else.

Favorite Trail:   Oleta River, Markham Park

Purchased At:   Came stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   WTB Velociraptors

Bike Setup:   2008 Giant Trance2

Submitted by Sweeny a Cross Country Rider from Mass

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2009

Strengths:    Cheapness

Weaknesses:    Not as good as tires twice the cost.

Bottom Line:
Good for the money, its generally sold for 25 and for that price you normally get a heap, this tire seems good. Was usin it all last summer wore out a little faster than i wanted, but other then that its decent.

So it all about value for the price with this tire.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Local shop

Similar Products Used:   Tioga, WTB, Huchinson, Michelin

Submitted by aballz a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2008

Strengths:    Rolls great on pavement, seems to have good grip on loose dirt. Probably decent for any light dirt trail riding

Weaknesses:    Haven't tried climbing yet.

Bottom Line:
Great tire so far if you have a mountain bike and ride mostly on paved road. I bought this bike for my dad but since i bought it, i had to test drive it...and break it in a little bit. The bike rolls great on pavement, don't know if it still will if it's more worn in. Seems to grip well on light trails so far.

Purchased At:   performance bike, ca

Bike Setup:   K2 zed sport

Submitted by Swampy a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2008

Weaknesses:    Difficult to centre on rim. Poor puncture resistance, once had three punctures in a month

Bottom Line:
Average tyre shipped with the bike. Poor puncture resistance so not recommended for road use.

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Bike Setup:   Avanti Atomic

Submitted by Bunkfoss a Weekend Warrior from Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2008

Strengths:    The tire works really well on paved surfaces; wet or dry. Hard packed dirt hasn't really given me a problem either.

Weaknesses:    Small gravel gives these tires a workout to say the least. When cornering, I can't lean too hard or else the bike falls from under me. Sand also gives the tire troubles. Also, I've noticed now that my riding has primarily been paved trails, the tires are wearing very quickly.

Bottom Line:
The tires are a good all-around tire; once your experience increases, you'll definitely want a more dirt oriented tire.

Purchased At:   Came on Bike

Bike Setup:   Haro V4, almost stock

Submitted by Ride247forLife a Weekend Warrior from Peoria, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2008

Strengths:    Hook up great on all kinds of terrain

Bottom Line:
Pretty great tire, hooks up on just about everything i have ridden them on. Never seen them in stores but I would get them again.

Favorite Trail:   Black Canyon