Home | Reviews | Tire | Kenda

Kenda Kharisma Tire

3.29/5 (14 Reviews)
Weight : 575 grams

• All-conditions cross-country tire
  • Full knobby tread with front- and rear-specific patterns
  • L3RC compound with lightweight 60 TPI casing
  • Size: 26 x 1.95

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by feedjerald a Cross Country Rider from Ekaterinburg, Russia

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2008

Strengths:    good all over the ground (even wet and muddy)
    puncture resistable (no one during 3000 km)

Weaknesses:    not for turns and corners in a wet city or - u slide down for shure
    too noisy on the pavement

Bottom Line:
    good enough for lite xc: ground, sand, grass
    but not for pavement and asphalt

Similar Products Used:   schwalbe

Bike Setup:   sram 5/7, shimano deore, marzocchi supercomp

Submitted by Tim Cameron a Weekend Warrior from Ogdensburg, NY

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2007

Strengths:    look great, nice roll on hard sufaces (pavement)

Weaknesses:    no friggin grip on corners. Good luck keeping your bike under you on fast corners.

Bottom Line:
    I would'nt let my worst enemy to use these tires on a fast trail with turns, then again, chicks "dig" scars, RIGHT?

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Treadmill-Potsdam,NY

Bike Setup:   KHS Nomad

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Western Kentucky

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2005

Strengths:    Thick casing makes it hard to rip out a sidewall.

Weaknesses:    Even though it has an aggressive tread design, it never really hooks up. On off-camber trail, I slide down the camber. In thick mud, I spin. On hardpack, I am slow.

Bottom Line:
    I don't like these tire and am in the market for a new set as soon as I can afford them. I was very displeased with these tires...I had hoped for better results.

Bike Setup:   Running the UST version on a Santa Cruz SuperLite

Submitted by Clydesdale Crusher a Cross Country Rider from Grants Pass, OR

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2005

Strengths:    Fast. REally stable in decomposed granite.

Weaknesses:    soft

Bottom Line:
    I've been very pleased with the good grab up the wet loose stuff and on the sides of steep gullies. The Tioga's were a joke. The velociraptors were great but felt like I was driving a tractor. These Kenda's are fast and sticky. Good tire.

Similar Products Used:   WTB Velociraptor F&R, IRC Mythos, Tioga

Submitted by Steven a Racer from College Station, TX

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2004

Strengths:    looks cool

Weaknesses:    first time out on the trail with them, a real rocky (small rocks) trail, and when i finished, i noticed most of the tread on my rear tire came off

Bottom Line:
    I dont know if I got a pair batch of tires or what, but these did not preform well at all.

Favorite Trail:   A&M

Purchased At:   came on my bike

Similar Products Used:   Mythos XC, IRC Trailbears

Bike Setup:   Redline Monocog, Psylo SL

Submitted by Jeremy Chandler a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2003

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance fast tire hooks up well in the loose stuff climb like champs up steep or loose rocky stuff

Weaknesses:    wet=fall on your butt..alot tire compund doesn't hook up well at all in watery mud or espically on wet roots so if you live somwhere where you get alot fo rain they will look good over your fireplace or as a picture frame maybe They are espically sensitive in cornering.... There is no leeway given, they either stick or slide out so it is a very fine line of tolerance you have to get accustomed to..took me about 2 wrecks worth Performance tire that demands attention to fine detail

Bottom Line:
    Tires have been extremely effective in dry hardpack and they have a noticeably low rolling resistance giving you high speeds quickly I love thses tires in the dry I think I will keep them around to put back on next summer when the rain subsides for a little while. As long as you use them for dry conditions they will hook you up once you get to know them. Fastest times I have ever turned out in the dry have been on these.

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge /Pisgah (NC) trails

Purchased At:   Won in Raffle at 24 hours of snowshoe

Similar Products Used:   michelin comp s, XLS, IRC mythos F and R

Bike Setup:   2000 GT Zaskar LE, full 02 XTR, easton carbon components mavic 517's w/ XT hub, sid SL, avid 1.9's WTB saddle cam with bike, time pedals. cane creek ergo ends

Submitted by Woody Elliott a Cross Country Rider from Richmond Va

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2003

Strengths:    Not Sure

Weaknesses:    Tread was designed in wrong direction. Casing is too weak.

Bottom Line:
    I weigh 180lbs and ride/race tons. Within first week, I realized that the tread was designed backwards, lots of slipping and poor braking. I reversed the tire and now it is fine. Also now it has been only two weeks and the sidewall is starting to rip. This can't be good!

Favorite Trail:   Douthat St Park

Purchased At:   Dirt Rag Subscription

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer FireXC Pro 2.1

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element Team SC . XT Disc brakes. Marzocci MRX 100 front. Fox RL rear.

Submitted by A-1 a Weekend Warrior from Newport News, VA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Strengths:    -red color goes great with my bike
    -fast
    -stellar on just about any surface

Weaknesses:    -not good in mud

Bottom Line:
    These are great tires! They hook up on everything but sloppy mud. They have a really low rolling resistence and corner like a champ. I highly recommend them, especially if you can get a sweet deal on the pair from your LBS like I did. They were regularly $45 each and I got the F/R set for $60. 4 flamin' turds

Favorite Trail:   Harwoods, Lost, Lake Maury

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis

Bike Setup:   '98 GT Aggressor, Marzocchi, Shimano, Race Face, Easton, Panaracer Dart/Smoke combo

Submitted by Larry a Racer from Brownsburg, IN

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2003

Strengths:    Traction, low rolling resistance, looks

Weaknesses:    Hard to find

Bottom Line:
    These are perhaps the most underrated tires around. The tire features a rough texture and the cornering and climbing traction is superb. I constantly washed out the front end using the stock Specialized tires, to the point I had lost confidence in my aggressive cornering style. These Kendas have given me back the confidence and now I’m flying through turns with the best of them. These are fast rollers too. I made the podium in the DINO season opener at Warsaw with these tires. I highly recommend them if you can find them.

Favorite Trail:   Winona Lake, Westwood, Nebo

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Continental

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper Pro used almost exclusively for racing

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from Wausau,WI,USA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2002

Strengths:    I am a Clydesdale (6'-7" and 300lbs) and these tires should be narrow for me but they worked well on hard pack, gravel, rocks, roots, dry grass and even worked ok in sand. I ran the front at 50 PSI and the back at 55 PSI. No complants so far. Gripped very well for climbing.

Weaknesses:    Kinda hard to get on rims.

Bottom Line:
    I like them. I don't think they will work in wet but I have wet tires on my other rims for those days.

Favorite Trail:   Nine Mil Forest

Similar Products Used:   wild griper s, maxus helter skelter

Bike Setup:   Trek 930 hard tail with mazocci bomber fork, bontrager rimes with asimetrical rear rear spoke spacing.

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Monument, CO

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2002

Strengths:    Looks good
    low rolling resistance
    grips well when new
    grips well when at low pressure

Weaknesses:    wear out quickly
    slippery an hard pack and loose gravel if run at more than 45 psi

Bottom Line:
    Good tires if you like lower pressure and don't mind replacing them every 1,000 miles. A bit skinny, and don't work very well in sand.

Purchased At:   Balanced Rock Bike & Ski

Similar Products Used:   mich, panaracer,

Submitted by Jerico a Cross Country Rider from Daly City, CA USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2001

Strengths:    Awesome looking tires, awesome traction on dirt, and low rolling resistance (on dirt). It sometimes feel like you can go faster that you would usually would on other tires.

Weaknesses:    Slipery when wet. I'm always watching the weather to see if it's gonna rain because I don't want to use these on wet pavement. When I first received these, it seemed a little slugish for some reason on the pavement. The blue tires aren't so blue (it's slightly green), must be the retailer's fault.

Bottom Line:
    These are stylish tires, but with much left desired. They were a little disappointing because I was discourage to use them at first. I've always left the front tire in, but swapped the rear depending on the weather. I'm still trying to reap the rewards of theses babies.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt around Campus

Purchased At:   1 set Over the phone

Similar Products Used:   Continental Cross Country

Bike Setup:   '99 F-700 Cannondale

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore, MD, US

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2001

Strengths:    Fast, easy rolling.
    Color options, might find a color to make your bike look better.

Weaknesses:    Requires a significant amount of air Pressure, Pinch Flats, poor handling in wet sloppy mud.

Bottom Line:
    You will need to play around with them to find the right air-preassure. Too low, Pinch Flat City --- Too High, and forget about turning.
    Overall I like riding these tires 3.5/5.0. They allow me to be more agressive, and roll much faster than ever before. They are much lighter than what I've previously riden, But I'm sure they're are lighter tires out there. Do not pay allot for these, I paid $60 for a pair with 4 tubes. I wouldn't buy from the rep untill he agreed to throw in the tubes... I recomend the same deal, You just might need them. In addition the Color options played into my decision to purchase. If looks are a factor, and you like the way they look, great. As far as Riding is concerned they are fast, agressive tires that once set right, and set up with your own ideal pressure will hold you on your line, and grip deep in a turn, then allow you to fly right out and accelerate fast on a straight. Ride'em and Like'em! I Do.

Favorite Trail:   McKeldon/Avalon

Purchased At:   Kenda Booth Jim Thorpe MTB Weekend 01'