Home | Reviews | Tire | Kenda

• Size: 26 x 1.95, 2.10

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Eric a Racer from Incline Village, NV

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2006

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    I am using the rear only, I did a race last night in Gardnerville, NV (loose, loose, and more loose terrain)and it went fine. I use Stan's and run 30 PSi, the thing never slipped. The key for me is low pressure, and low rolling resistance together. I tried one with a tube on my hardtail at 45 psi and it sucked, sucked, sucked. BUt with STan's I give it 4 chili's.

Favorite Trail:   Rim Trail

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   rear Moto Raptor

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain ETSX, Crossmax, Sram

Submitted by Mark from WI

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2005

Strengths:    Low Rolling resistance, good traction

Weaknesses:    Packs up with mud easily

Bottom Line:
    This is a review for the front only. I had to buy this tire because after the race the IRC that I had fell apart. so far have had no problems with the tire. When it is muddy the tire likes to pack up with mud and it doesn't clear out easily. The strengths are that it rolls fast compared to the IRC that I had before it and it does have good traction when it is dry outside.

Purchased At:   Nova Norba National

Similar Products Used:   IRC

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F900

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Ithaca, NY

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2005

Strengths:    Light, Red ones look awesome, pretty low rolling resistance, long lasting.

Weaknesses:    Terrible in wet conditions, don't corner well.

Bottom Line:
    I hate these tires because I have no confidence that they won't slide out from under me when I turn hard. Get a pair of IRC Mythos and you'll be set. Forget these unless you like sliding out on corners. I will give them a decent value rating because they're cheap. I'm only giving these a 3 for overall because I can't give a 2.5.

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos, Panaracer Duster II

Bike Setup:   Custom built Haro Escape 8.2 frame.

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2004

Strengths:    light weight, corners great, very low rolling distance, zero flats excellent in hardpack conditions

Weaknesses:    Not so good in technical or muddy conditions, tread life not so great

Bottom Line:
    I've used these since last season and have been able to try them in all types of conditions from technical, sandy, slick rock in Moab to hardpack and loose rocks in the Wasatch Mtns. These are great tires for speed, climbing, and cornering on hardpack; however, the rear lacks ability in climbing over technical or loose gravel/rock. Learned how to compensate and choose better lines and we seem to agree. Overall, they're good tires, I would definitely keep the front for control and switch out the rear with something that can climb better in all conditions.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Bike Setup:   ibex 850 hardtail, manitou black elite fork, xt components

Submitted by Chris Lopes a Weekend Warrior from South Kingston, RI, USA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap, Light, & look cool. (I have the UST version)

Weaknesses:    Everything. Poor cornering, I consistantly get flats, even when inflated at 45 -50lbs they bend too much when riding over rocks/roots and I get a flat. Their extremely unreliable and pop off the rim regardless of the tire pressure you run (forget about running low pressure on these I shredded them when I was trying a low pressure of about 35 PSI).

Bottom Line:
    I hate these tires and can't recommend them at all. WHo needs a tire that is flat more than it's rolling..

Favorite Trail:   Acadia-Breakheart

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Karma & Intense

Bike Setup:   Red Foes FXR w/ Ti Curnutt, Mavic Crossmax UST, Avid Mechanical disk, Race face cranks & stem, Fox TALAS rlc, Intense tires.

Submitted by zach a Racer from port hope,ontario,canada

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2003

Strengths:    grips well in hard pack conditions, and wet conditions light for a 2.1, have a glow in the dark 24 hrs of adrenalin ban on them

Weaknesses:    in sand the back tire sinks right in and the front tire just goes were it wants, there a pit slow in the double track

Bottom Line:
    narrow for a 2.1,bad in sand, but good in wet and hard pack conditions and light for a 2.1

Favorite Trail:   dagmar

Purchased At:   won them at 24 hrs or adrenalin

Similar Products Used:   irc mtyhos xc

Bike Setup:   giant xtc se 2 michelin jet s tires time pedals xt drivetrain

Submitted by Jay P a Cross Country Rider from Burlington,VT

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2003

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Everything else! No traction whatesoever in corners...slid out every time I put effort into a corner. I ran tehse at 40psi...35 psi is the low and like 55psi is the high...figured I would grip a bit in the roots, rocks, slick hardpack I was racing on. Nothing like that at all, instead I had to slow down and tip toe thru switchbacks!

Bottom Line:
    I got these tires for free, I would probably give them to anyone I don't really like too much. They might be real good for riding in another climate but they are coming off my bike when I'm done this review!

Favorite Trail:   Many

Purchased At:   won at 24hr race

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Hutchnson, Smokes

Bike Setup:   Jekyl, pretty much stock but the handlebars and brakes..

Submitted by Jeff a Racer from Virginia

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Strengths:    light weight, looks nice

Weaknesses:    It's small for a 2.1,,, it doesn't hold in the corners,,, did I mention that it didn't hold in corners,, Isn't that the primary mission of a front tire?????

Bottom Line:
    This tire sucks in anything less than hardpack as far as I can tell. I made the mistake of running in a race just off of reputation and went down about 6 times,, this thing is waaaayyyyy sketchy in corners and just slides out. I will give it 2 chilis just because it's light and I only tested it in fairly muddy stuff, this tire is not recommended by me......

Favorite Trail:   anything at snowshoe

Purchased At:   Snowshoe during norba race

Similar Products Used:   mosquito air lights (great tires), IRC Mythos (grippy but a little heavier) panaracer fire xc pro 1.8 (pinch flat too easy) Old smoke and dart (good tires, classics) Specialized offerings (so,so) WTB Velociraptors (awesome tire, if they weighed less they'd probably be the best tire out there period) etc. etc.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale jekyll, handbuilt hugis on 517 rims, duke 100mm, xtr derailleurs, sram shorty rocket, thompson seatpost, WTB rocket v laser saddle, titec 118 bar, avid ti levers, XTR v-brakes etc. etc.

Submitted by mike a Cross Country Rider from illinois

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2002

Strengths:    They are Light Weight.

Weaknesses:    For me weighing 200 at 6 Foot Im a big guy.So with that in mind weaknesses were.With 50lbs felt tire compress on every root,Never felt this with my Alligator golds.Also didnt hook up as well as i was hopeing.But did hook up well on loose leaf cover hills.Keep in mind close here to chicago the hills are short but usually steep.Bottom line i just think im a bit to large of a rider for these tires.A liter rider may loves these,as for me the are history

Bottom Line:
    Ride what works for you.I see alot of Joe Mountain BIkers here thinking they are some kind of bike gods.Ride what you like and where you like.If you knock some one for not riding the way or style you ride,i.e= freeride,cross country,downhill and even road,then your a fool.I love to see anyone riding.Bottom line ride have fun and always break at 4:20.And give an honest review of the product for your kind of riding.After all arent we all Bicyclist cant we get along.

Favorite Trail:   Imagination Glen

Purchased At:   The shop i work at

Similar Products Used:   Worked in a shop for a long time Almost 20 years and im 34 so i tried alot of diffrent products and find somethings that work for you wont work for otheres and vice versa. Just ride and be happy.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F-3000 All XT. Salsa Semi Rims laced 3 cross to xt hubs (wheelsmith db spokes).XT Crank and BB (splined) XT Shifters,Derailuers,V-Brakes.Thomsen laid back seat post.Flight saddle.Easton EA70 bars

Submitted by jason from tampa, fl.

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2002

Strengths:    Great colors! Light weight.

Weaknesses:    Skinny tires, almost like riding road bike tires!

Bottom Line:
    I was worried about these tires at first, but the looks and weight got the best of me. I bought them just to try them out, and I LOVED THEM. They've worked remarkablly well around corners, on climbs, and down hills. Surprisingly, they stick! I haven't ridden wet conditions with them yet, and I hear that's when the problem comes in to play. I only ride one of these on the rear, and use the KENDA 345g for the front tire. A really great set up. I would definately recommend this to anyone who wants to drop some weight and still have some bad ass tires.
    Only time will tell if they hold up. I ripped off a few knobs on some really rocky terrain, which is questionable, but normal i guess for the type of arrgessive riding I was doing and the soft compound of the tire. You have to trade toughness for low weight, there's just no way around it!

Great tire for the rear. Don't be afraid!!

Favorite Trail:   Razorback in Ocala,Fl.

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Hot S.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000: Cane Creek brakes; Race Face cranks, rings, handlebars, grips, and seat post; Kenda 345g front tire; Rolf Sat's; Ti allen skewers; SLR 135g seat

Submitted by brian a Cross Country Rider from keyport N.J.

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2002

Strengths:    probably a great tire for smooth hardpack racing out west.

Weaknesses:    they suck in any loose conditions, mud, sand etc. I tried between 40 and 70 p.s.i. and they are sketchy enough to negate any benefit gained by their light weight.

Bottom Line:
    I'm going back to the conti's.

Favorite Trail:   hartshorne\huber

Purchased At:   pedrofest(cosmetic blemish)

Similar Products Used:   smoke/dart continental traction pro, irc serac

Bike Setup:   I.F. delux judy s.l. bontranger race wheel set, thudbuster, xt.

Submitted by rick a Racer from reseda ca

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2002

Strengths:    used stan's no tubes on kenda kharisma lites they went no problem held air right away ran 40-42 psi great ride some leak down but same as the only way to go if you serious about preformance no flats better hook up

Weaknesses:    all the tires i tired this kit went up irc michelin nokian,some hard than others,but with good floor, i did trim about 1/16" off one side just a little to wide

Bottom Line:
    the way to go forget tubes and use any tire u want, never flat again in a race.

Purchased At:    no tubes .com

Bike Setup:   giant nrs xtr white inds mavic

Submitted by rick a Racer from reseda ca usa

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2002

Strengths:    very good for climbing fast accrealation breaking connering.used for racing at big bear rim nordic and training in santa moncia mnts.

Weaknesses:    front tire 1.95 could hold more air volume to help in cobblestones

Bottom Line:
    the 1.95 seems small at first but hook up well in every respect no pinch flats 45psi i'm 147lbs.great tire and will trying stan's no tube conversion

Favorite Trail:   westridge

Purchased At:   mammoth mountain ncs

Similar Products Used:   mythos bontrager

Bike Setup:   giant nrs xtr answer mars elite white inds mavic wheels

Submitted by Jj a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2002

Strengths:    Weight, traction, cornering.

Weaknesses:    Not the easiest tires to mount however I can just do it with my fingers (no tire leavers) so not really a big problem.

Bottom Line:
    This review is for the 2.1 Kenda rear.
    Im only using the Kenda rear so far (I havent mounted the Kenda frount yet as I havent worn out the original Specialised yet)
    This tyre are the best yet they are as light as the Mt Baldy but have heaps better traction and cornering. I dont know if they actually do but the Kendas feel like they roll better than the Mt Baldy when pumped up (I have a 10km ride to the trail head so I pump the tyres up before I leave home and let some air out when I get the the trail).
    The traction is on par with the IRC Mythos but the Kenda kicks IRC's washedout cornering butt. The IRC Mythos is better than the Kenda in regards to snake bite (never had a snake bite with the IRCs).
    I have had a few snakebites with the Kenda (1 a fortnight), but then again I ride hard (I use ultra light tubes too) and I have had no where near as many snakebites as with the Mt Baldy (1-2 a week). I think a few of the snakebites have been due to me letting to much air out of the tires.
    In summer I ride about 250-300kms a week on average and the wear is a little better than the IRC's and about the same as the Mt Baldys. (Although the Mt Baldys didnt last as long being a semi-slick).

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   Specialised Mt Baldy S-works, IRC Mythos 1.9, 3.0 super wide hugh tred tyres on a Kojima.

Bike Setup:   2000 Specialised FSR S-works

Submitted by Jeremy a Racer from Sabina, OH

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2001

Strengths:    Awsome rolling, pretty light, great cornering and braking.

Weaknesses:    Back tire isn't the best climber.

Bottom Line:
    These tires replaced my Fire XC Pro's. They where 100g lighter, cornered almost as well, rolled much faster, and handled better under braking. The back tire takes a little more technique to climb technical terrain but it's worth it. I recomend these tires to any racer as an all-around track tire. For regular trail riding try the Karisma Kristals, they'll last longer.

Favorite Trail:   Harbin Park, Ceasar Creek

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Velociraptor, Racing Raptor, Kenda( Kwick, Klimax, ), Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Tioga Psycho

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Homegrown ( SID, XTR, Sun Sub IV )

Kenda Kharisma Lite from SOC -- $10?

At the Kenda tent at SOC, I picked up a front 2.1 for $10. My plan was to run it as a rear on my xc Yeti. There are two things I hate: Taking off a working tire to replace it with something that is both new AND inferior; and Remounting an older, heavily worn tire. I have done both of these befor ... Read More »