Home | Reviews | Tire | Kenda

Kenda Karma Stick-E Tire

3.74/5 (46 Reviews)

Kendas minimallyTreaded Karma is ideal for XC racers dueTo its light weight and low, low, low rolling resistance! Weve got em in 26" as well as 29". Low-profile square knobs 600g (29")480g (26x2.0)598g (26x2.2) All are lightweight, folding kevlar beads DualTread compound for plenty of grip 120TpiTry a 2.2 in front and 2.0 in back for great handling and low rolling resistance

Submitted by okiman a Cross Country Rider from Okinawa, Japan

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2010

Strengths:    Great all around tire. They came stock and for wet/dry surfaces they rock.

Weaknesses:    I have tried them in heavy mud and they get sketchy with the 2.0s

Bottom Line:
Great tire for the bike. I used this tire in my first race and with the exception of a 30 degree offset tree root on the jungle portion of the track it was great.

Favorite Trail:   Single tracks in Yomitan

Similar Products Used:   Going through all the Kenda's

Bike Setup:   Zaskar Carbon

Submitted by jon cross a Racer from west Michigan

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2010

Strengths:    Light, surprising rolling resistance considering knobby profile, casing seems fairly stiff which helps when running low pressures

Weaknesses:    A bit weak in the corners for a knobby tire- it hooks up fairly well but when it breaks loose it does so unpredictably, unlike many of the other tires I have raced and trained on.

Bottom Line:
My gripe with these tires is that they are a knobby that just doesn't hook up in the corners like I expect from something with the profile that these have. They do roll quite a bit faster than a lot of knobby tires out there, and are definitely something I'll keep around for races on looser courses, but I've spent a lot of time on tires that roll faster and hook up as well in the corners. When these tires break loose in hard turns, they tend to slide almost uncontrolably. There are a lot of options out there that drift more predictably and roll faster. While other options might not corner as well, they are very close and offer similar or lighter weight with less rolling resistance. Overall I'd say these are great all-around tires but for racing I want either something slick and fast for dry courses or knobby and aggressive for muddy, loose courses. These tires are a compromise that are very good at both but aren't great at either.

Favorite Trail:   Yankee Springs

Purchased At:   NA

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson, Michelin, Geax, Specialized, Continental

Bike Setup:   Orbea Oiz, Fox fork and RP23, XTR/Race Face/Ritchey setup...

Submitted by john from horse hill a Racer from Merrimack, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, low rolling resistance, traction on wet roots and rocks.

Weaknesses:    Subject to flats when run tubeless at pressures below 30 psi.

Bottom Line:
These tires grip like velcro in both wet and dry conditions. I continue to be amazed on how well they hold on steep technical climbs and decents. I even run them on hard packed snow and they do really well on it too.
Anyone who races or rides where trails can be slick will love these tires. larger riders will probably want to run the 2.2 version.

Favorite Trail:   Jacobs Ladder Holyoke MA

Purchased At:   Cyclloft

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Eduro, Captains, WTB Weirwolfs

Bike Setup:   GT Marathon Carbon Team with SLR Wheels. Jamis XC Pro with ST wheels. I run these tires with tubes at 28 to 30 psi.

Submitted by Rootfreak a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2009

Strengths:    These are light tires. They grip very well too; traction is consistent and never a problem. I got them cheap, but for their weight and reliability, I think they're a good deal.

Weaknesses:    None to speak of.

Bottom Line:
I got these tires lightly used, and they've performed marvelously. They are good at a number of different surfaces with their only real weakness being small loose gravel (at high speed). These are definitely xc tires. They can take speed and rough stuff but not so much together. They like rocks, but at slow speeds and they love flying up and own singletrack. I would definitely not be cheap and buy this tire new again when the current set wears out.

Favorite Trail:   BCGB

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Crap

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-Works M4 with all the fixins.

Submitted by mtbracer4 a Racer from Hatfield, Mass

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2009

Strengths:    grips very well in new england, even the the wet. very light and fast.

Weaknesses:    side wall kinda thin but its where u save some of your weight.

Bottom Line:
very good race tire, light, low rolling resistance, good grip in dry or wet conditions.

Favorite Trail:   Nipmunk

Purchased At:   given to me through

Similar Products Used:   kenda nevegel

Bike Setup:   Ironhorse MKIII comp, Jamis Dakota Elite

Submitted by pipexp a Cross Country Rider from Temuco, Chile

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2009

Strengths:    Really good traction in dry terrains, in mud very good too.
low rolling resisnace, and very light.

Weaknesses:    spent quickly.

Bottom Line:
Rides very well on all terrains types. When you go fast on road sound really cool.

Submitted by scott k a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight.

Weaknesses:    Very unstable (squirrelly).

Bottom Line:
I'm a causal racer, 150/5'9 riding full suspension XC. My friend gave a pair of Karma's to me because he said the were "a little squirrelly" for him. I thought my standards for tire handling were low enough to easily tolerate squirrelly. I was wrong. In all but some very specific conditions these tires should be considered hazardous for people who turn.

I've never ridden a mtb tire so unstable. I have no idea what's going on but I'll take some guesses. As people have mentioned in other reviews of this tire, there is a seemingly very thin sidewall, this might affect turning stability. There is also a large gap between the center tread blocks and the outer tread blocks, this might also be causing problems. Finally, the shape of the outer blocks is a little strange, sloping to the outside, I wonder if this also contributes to instability in turns.

Anyhow, I'm giving a rating of 2 because I've only ridden these tires a couple of times so I can't make the rating a definitive 1. No, I'm not giving them a second chance, they're being passed on to some other "friend".

Favorite Trail:   United States

Bike Setup:   XC full.

Submitted by Ride247forLife a Weekend Warrior from Peoria, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2008

Strengths:    pretty good traction on dry tracks

Weaknesses:    super weak sidewalls

Bottom Line:
Not a bad tire minus blowin through the sidewalls after only three months of riding. good traction but the sidewall weakness is a major concern. 4 for value 3 for the overall rating

Favorite Trail:   Black Canyon

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   kenda komodos

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Canaan Elite

Submitted by Rum Runner a Cross Country Rider from Val-Des-Monts,Quebec,Canada

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2008

Strengths:    Light (425g,2.0),Grips great when dry on all but roots and loose gravel. Reasonable price for a race tire. Surprised me in mud and wet sand/soil.

Weaknesses:    Very poor on wet roots. OK on wet rocks.

Bottom Line:
Newbie to Racing. 5'4", 150 lbs. Bought this tire end of season last year and been racing it all this year.
This tire is a great racing tire. When its dry I am really surprised how well it hooks up. It gets pretty dicey when on wet roots. Packed forest soil corners are very grippy.
Local race is Canadian Shield on a ski hill. Lots of rocks/roots. Technical Climbs on rocks/roots.
I find this tires get AWSOME grip when I run them at around 25 psi but due to the nature of our local XC course I am finding I need to run around 35 psi for pinch flat protection when racing. At higher pressure when racing I have to concentrate on my line/momentum and keeping my butt on the seat on technical climbs.
I am a slow climber but I make a ton of time up on the downhills. I let it all hang out so they can handle it a bit rough. I am riding FS though with a decent front fork.
Raced Summer Solstice 24 hr race. Had rain at night and managed not to fall. Other riders going down all over the place, some with mud tires, so the Karmas surprised me. Also made wet STEEP sandy power climbs.
Wear has been good. I expect to get the whole season out of these tires plus two 24 hr solo rides. Knobs only showing very little wear, no lost knobs for over half a season racing/riding(say 50-60 hrs hard riding)
Bottom Line. I love this tire as a racing tire. Altho sometimes a bit squirly, if you have the confidence to keep pedaling they seemed to eventually hook up. Only time I am a bit cautious is on angled wet roots. I have ordered a second set so I have spares :)

Favorite Trail:   Outback,Kanata,Ontario

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegals, Panaracer XC Fire Pro, Nokian NBX.

Bike Setup:   07 GT i-Drive 4.4.0, 08 Fox 100RLC, Easton EC90 XC Bar, Foam Grips(18g ea), Selle San Marco Ponza seat, Tubes Continental MTB (93g ea).

Submitted by Daffunda a Cross Country Rider from MI

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2008

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance - when ran tubeless with stans.
Pretty good grip - when ran tubeless with stans with low pressure.

Super light - 450g for 2.0.

Weaknesses:    Grip is nonexistent if you run with tubes with 30+ PSI.

When putting stans in, it will take a while for the tire to seal, due to thin sidewalls. But that's the tradeoff to a lighter weight.

Bottom Line:
This is an XC tire. Run this with stans with lightweight rims. Put tubes on it, and the grip is nonexistent.

I thought about ditching this tire before I decided to stan it. Before stans, I was running 30psi. Grip sucks, bad tire, outright dangerous.

After stans, 23psi, grip is great, low rolling resistance. A really great tire.

If you're putting stans in, do it when it is new. Thin sidewalls will take a while for the stans to seal it up, and it will take quite some time for it to stop leaking air.

Rating is with tubeless stans setup. I would give this tire 1 chili if I was running with tubges.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Exiwolf

Bike Setup:   Titus RX

Submitted by Mick Procovich a Weekend Warrior from Hutto, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2008

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, surprising versatility in varying conditions, can run extremely low pressures with Stan's No Tube kit. This tire has amazing climbing ability for a general purpose looking tread pattern.

Weaknesses:    I had the rear wash out around a reducing radius with very low pressures ~20psi. 25+ psi of air cured the wash out problem.

Bottom Line:
I currently ride trails around the Austin TX area, so mostly hard pack, rocky, some sandy and slimy creek crossings. City Park http://www.austinbike.com/mtb/citypark/index.asp
and Walnut Creek ride areas are two of my favorites although very different. No mud compared to the PA spring thaw that I was used to so I can not comment of the Kenda 2.2's in the mud.

Curt from Curt's Cyclery, Nazareth, PA (one of the few people in the world I would trust my life to) suggested this tire to me afer describing the riding conditions here in the Austin Tx area. I'd say he hit it pretty much on the money. I read a lot of negatives about this tire when used with tubes. Even though the 26" Kenda Karma 2.2 is not designed as a tubeless tire, I'd have to say the Stan's No tube kit makes this tire perform as designed. With no tubes, the paper thin Kenda sidewalls have a chance to work similar to the racing slicks on my drag car. When aired down to the 25-30 psi range, they wrinkle, grab and bite on anything they touch and still roll pretty good. On loose rocky hard pack stepped climbs like City Park Motorcycle Trail, I could feel the rocks bumping the rim through the tire and of course no flats since no tubes to pinch. I did add a bit more air after feeling the rim but the traction at that low of an air pressure was simply awesome.

This tire also handles road work pretty good too for short periods of time. After about 20 miles of road riding, you will be wishing you took your road bike out and left the mountain bike at home. This tire allows me to ride the mountain bike on the road with my wife, or jump into the off road aggressive trails with my friends.

Favorite Trail:   City Park

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire, Smokes, Darts, Hutchinson Alligators, Michelin DH soft, Onza Porcupines and other old school stuff I'm not going to list.

Bike Setup:   2000 Giant XtC, XT components, Rock Shox Reba Race 100mm with lock, Rocks Shox SID XC rear shock 80mm, Avid mechanical disks, Stan's No Tube kit with 26” Kenda Karma 2.2 aired to about 25-30psi.

Submitted by Jonathan Halliwell a Cross Country Rider from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2007

Strengths:    Light! Works great as a tubeless tyre too. 'Big' volume tyre for a 2.0

Weaknesses:    A bit sketchy in loose dry surface on hardpack.

Bottom Line:
I'd desribe myself as an aggressive XC rider/racer and I really like this tyre so far. Running it tubeless makes for a very light setup and has performed flawlessly so far running tubeless at about 30psi. Wear is average and it does lose some traction on dry loose surface hardpack when climbing.

I haven't used this tyre in wet conditions yet, I'd be inclined to swap to something more aggressive for Winter.

Big for a 2.0, bigger than a 2.1 Conti or Weirwolf.

Favorite Trail:   Karapoti

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   WTB Weirwolf, IRC Mythos, Conti Explorer & Twister Pro

Bike Setup:   07 Mongoose Canaan Elite, stock except for Mavic 819 tubeless wheelset and Shimano SPDs.

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider from Kapiti, NZ

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2007

Strengths:    Free with the bike?
Litle resistance on road
Folding bead is a breeze to remove
Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Weak sidewalls! These do not like low pressure at all and felt like they were about to roll of the rim at anything less than 40psi. Dont inspire confidence in any conditions. Knobs are not ramped, i would expect more at this price.

Bottom Line:
I have already replaced these. While there are some positives, the incredibly weak sidewalls write it off. They cannot handle remotely low pressures at all. Feel like they are gona roll off on every corner.

Favorite Trail:   mungatuks