Home | Reviews | Tire | Kenda

Kenda Dred Tread DTC Tire

3.93/5 (14 Reviews)

The Kenda Juarez Dred Tread DTC Kevlar Tire is a fast rolling tire. Tinker designed it using our Dual Tread Compound to provide needed cornering grip with the added benefit of longer wear in the tire's center and low rolling resistance. Each knob on the tire accomplishes a specific duty and Kenda added Tinker's initials on the side knobs for that personal touch. The Kenda Juarez Dred Tread DTC Kevlar Tire features Dual Tread Compound (DTC) for longer tread life and added traction, low profile knobs for more race speed, lightweight and fast rolling, and is for front or rear use.

Submitted by iceaxe a Cross Country Rider from Novi, MI

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2010

Strengths:    Fast roller, good braking & drive traction

Weaknesses:    Interesting cornering abilities

Bottom Line:
Interesting tire: rolls fast, above average drive & braking traction for a rear tire. Cornering is interesting though. They feel "slippery" at modest cornering angles and the grip well at more aggressive lean angles. At more sever angles they lose traction quicly and are difficult to recover from. Over all, not a huge fan of this tire. Maybe good if you ride lots of paved stuff

Favorite Trail:   Poto

Bike Setup:   Castellano Fango Softail, dt swiss 4.2d rims

Submitted by superford4x4 a Cross Country Rider from Belvidere, IL

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2010

Strengths:    rolls good on harder surfaces. lasts a long time with the DTC.

Weaknesses:    cornering isn't the greatest

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a tire that would work good on pavement and trail. This is my only bike so it goes everywhere. I love the dual tread compound. makes the tire last a whole lot longer and make for great rolling on pavement or hardpack, meanwhile the sides are soft to improve cornering. The only real problem I have with the tire is you can't lean too far into a corner.

I would give it about 4.5 overall if i could. its just not quite 5.

Purchased At:   lbs

Submitted by Bink a Cross Country Rider from Texas

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2009

Strengths:    Rolls fast. Sticky tread. Reliable traction over most surfaces.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Good tires. Other people here have complained of poor braking and cornering. I havent had any problems like that. Climbing braking and cornering are all comparable to the nevegal but these are lighter and roll way faster.

I classify these between a pure xc tire and a trail tire. Really dig them.

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Kenda blue groove and nevegal, conti vert and explorer, panaracer fire xc, and many others.

Bike Setup:   Trail bike.

Submitted by scottzg a Cross Country Rider from san jose, ca

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2009

Strengths:    fast, very good straight line traction

Weaknesses:    washes out in corners. In the dozen rides i got on this tire my rear washed out 3 times. Never happened to me before. It was punctured by a stick and i'm not really bummed.

Bottom Line:
If you love fast rolling and technical climbing this might be a good tire, but you have to always be thinking about how far you can lean it over in that muddy patch lest you go home looking like you pooped yourself. Eventually i popped mine and am not really bummed.

Favorite Trail:   braille

Purchased At:   sea otter

Similar Products Used:   Prolly about a dozen rear tires.

Bike Setup:   long travel hardtail.

Submitted by Jacobus a Cross Country Rider from Bakersfield

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2009

Strengths:    Fast rolling. Good cornering.

Weaknesses:    Hard to seal up running tubeless with Stans.

Bottom Line:
The best tire I have had on the bike. I ride mostly hard pack single track with many sandy sections.

Favorite Trail:   the ones with dirt

Purchased At:   Got fron a friend

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Fast Track, Specialized Capatain

Bike Setup:   2007 Epic Marathon

Submitted by Haggis a Weekend Warrior from NZ

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2009

Strengths:    Wears well, good volume carcass.

Weaknesses:    Braking, climbing and cornering traction. Not particularly fast rolling either.

Bottom Line:
Purchased these 2.1 treads for marathon XC. Tested on a wide variety of surfaces, front and rear on two very diff bikes.

Forget about using these as a front tyre, the braking traction is awful - the round dot in the centre 'defeats' the intermediate knobs. The side knobs are too close together to offer any cornering stickability at any lean angle.

As a back tyre it's just as bad - the tyre loses traction easily (at 35psi) and because the prominent square intemediate knobs aren't ramped it rolls poorly. Traction improves a little below 30psi, but not enough.

Gave up on it on the XC bike so a chucked one on the Reign as a rear tyre. Back wheel is constantly trying to pass the front on any sort of a downhill and it can't climb on any loose surface. Truly a terrible tyre, second only to the Hutchinson Bulldog.

Favorite Trail:   Corners

Bike Setup:   Anthem & Reign

Submitted by clj766 a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte NC. usa

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2009

Strengths:    traction, corners, good overall types of terrain, looks great, liteweight, fast roller

Weaknesses:    n/a yet

Bottom Line:
If you do cross country this tire will not dissapoint you! Im going to recomend it to anyone that asks. Its really made a improvment on my bike.

Purchased At:   craigslist new

Similar Products Used:   irc serac, irc kujo

Bike Setup:   f600 cannondale

Submitted by biyak269 a Cross Country Rider from SW Michigan

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2009

Strengths:    1.8 size. Great frame clearance and resulting benefit in muddy conditions. Good grip in dry packed conditions, sheds mud and snow easily, light weight and fast rolling.

Weaknesses:    They lose traction in dry sand and dust.

Bottom Line:
I like skinny, fast and light tires, and these really fit the bill. I just wish they could run tubeless with Stans--they leak down fast, so I need to run them with tubes.

Favorite Trail:   T.K. Lawless

Purchased At:   Iceman Expo Kenda Di

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Zed Race.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur

Submitted by bill p a Downhiller from sun valley idaho

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2008

Strengths:    good downhill tire and very strong tire and handles great on rocks

Weaknesses:    cannot find a weekness yet

Bottom Line:
this tire is very strong and handles great on dirt and rocks . lots a rocks

Favorite Trail:   fisher creek

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   full suspension scott strik 20

Submitted by Aaron a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2008

Strengths:    This tire has really great traction in slippery areas. It gave me confidence in leafy corners, and also worked well in loose gravel. This tire is fast and light, almost too light.

Weaknesses:    I used this tire on two rides. I put about 30 miles on it and then it failed. On my second ride I blew out a tube. A medium size thorn went right through a big knob on the outside edge of the tire. Not a confidence builder. So I replaced the tube and kept on riding. I finished my ride and when I got home I realized that I had also torn a hole in the side of the tire so I had a 1" tube bubble busting out of the tire. Luckily I made it back to the truck because I only carry one spare with me. Needless to say this tire apparently cannot handle everything, or in my eyes very much. I rarely get flats but two days after I put this tire on I started having problems with tires. Weird.

Bottom Line:
This tire was expected to do all that and then some, according to the other reviews on here. Most of my training partners use the CrossMarks so I needed something fast, this tire is fast. It grips everything, even the stuff you wouldn't expect it to, cornering is great but it's not very durable in my opinion. If you ride in rough Texas terrain that has a bit of everything unknown I would not suggest this tire. If you ride a lot of street or trail that is well maintained, flat and smooth with no surprises then this is the tire for you. This is just my opinion, judge for yourself. Maybe I got a defective tire. Maybe it's just me. One bad review out of many shouldn't sway your opinion. Check em out. Price point is going to give me credit for the return so nothing really lost except for a little money on shipping.

Favorite Trail:   O.P. or Gov. Canyon

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Velociraptors, Panaracer - Smoke, Armadillo - Roll X,

Bike Setup:   Hard Tail Gary Fisher, Mavic Cross Ride wheels, Marzocchi Corsa fork.

Submitted by Dan Bean a Weekend Warrior from Travis AFB

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2008

Strengths:    Everything, these tires work great everywhere!

Bottom Line:
Only had these tires for a week. I need a good tire for All-around use since I only have my one bike for commuting and riding the trails. These tires are super fast on the road, thought they'd suck in the dirt because of this but not so! They hook-up better than my Panaracers and the Advantage's that I've used in the past. So far this is the best tire I've ever used in 14 yrs of MTB'ing! If I do find a weakness I'll repost.

Favorite Trail:   Rockville

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Maxxis ADvantage.

Bike Setup:   06 C-dale F600

Submitted by Tommy a Racer from Murfreesboro, Tn, US

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2008

Strengths:    lightweight, grip like crazy

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I needed a tire that would last long and replace my pythons. I so far I love these tires. They are great in muddy and wet conditions and feel good on the rocks. Tinker did well. If you are looking for a tire to ride in the winter time and carry into the summer this would be a great choice.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Pythons, Small Block 8

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur, Fox RLT, Mavic SL

Submitted by scott ellis a Cross Country Rider from long island ny

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2007

Strengths:    great on wet leaves and roots, great traction following 6 hours of heavy rain in the trails here in the n/east

Bottom Line:
purchased these tires @ pedros in july from the kenda rep at the festival for 50% off- these tires are awesome and today they really kicked some butt- tons of leaves and these tires performed extremely well and i did not lose traction once tinker did a great j-o-b at designing these and i see no reason why i will not use these all winter long. thanks TJ

Purchased At:   here

Bike Setup:   cannondale prophet 600 2005 avid juicy sram 9 speed thomson seat post set up for XC race face cranks candy sl

Submitted by ANTHONY ATTWOOD a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2007

Strengths:    Grip like hell,really fast rolling tyre and gives you huge amounts of confidence when putting your weight on the back of the bike when cornering downhill fast! Mud does not stick to the tread so very good in wet boggy conditions.Not had a puncture and been using the tyre hard over the past month or so every day.Brilliant new tread pettern.

Weaknesses:    None at all Exeptional tyre

Bottom Line:
Really good tyre for wet or dry conditions and still showing no signs of any wear at all.I have hammered this tyre big time and not even any nicks out of the side walls after repeatedly banging them off rocks,roots and cracks in slate paths.I would recomend the tyre to anyone who does XC but with downhill sections.I really cant get over the climbing factor when using the tyre i have gone from walking up loose rocky gravel steep hills to riding them with no bother due to the huge gripping qualities offered on this tyre.The only thing what I done is used a slightly larger tube that the 2.1 because the tyre does look slightly larger than the 2.1 stated???? anyone else agree on the size difference compaired to a different make 2.1 tyre?

Favorite Trail:   Pinchinthorpe trail with a few modified trails