Home | Reviews | Tire | IRC

IRC Trail Bear Tire

4.3/5 (61 Reviews)

If you live for insanely steep terrain, high stakes log crossings you ride a DH tire. The new Trail Bear a race proven DH tread design mated to an ultra tough yet lightweight casing to create the ultimate freeride tire.

Submitted by dnnandxc a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2011

Strengths:    Grip, cornering and durability. Rolling resistance is good too!

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
I started hoarding these tires as well, they aren't the lightest, but they're the best combination of Cornering grip and durability I've found. I've been riding one on the front and rear for over 2 years and the rear is only about 75% worn.

Favorite Trail:   Shore

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS, Brodie Zealot

Submitted by pedaler845 a Cross Country Rider from Hudson Valley, NY

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2009

Strengths:    Durabile all rounder.

Weaknesses:    ?

Bottom Line:
Its a shame these are probably not made anymore -some are still out there. I have 3 new on the shelf because of their reliability.
Ive never tried them tubeless -I dont get pinch flats, and they grip fine with 40 psi (rear) Im 180#.
These are as grippy as any other 2.3 tire on the varied east coast conditions. They grip and roll better than most.
Ive heard theyre good on the front --theyve done so well as a rear thats where I use them--- my front tire is a 2.4 like the Mountain King.

Favorite Trail:   909

Purchased At:   Overlook Mt Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   5" dual suspension

Submitted by jamis brown a Weekend Warrior from Ingalls Indiana, USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2008

Strengths:    wears like iron
fun to ride on
cushy for a hardtail
price

Weaknesses:    rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
Bang for the buck; there is no bigger. I've gotton 800 dirt miles on one a rear tire and it still looks and works great. It really completes the off road package for trail blasting.

Favorite Trail:   96th st. bridge

Purchased At:   nashbar

Bike Setup:   jamis exile

Submitted by axlissel a Cross Country Rider from Lima, Peru

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2008

Strengths:    Long lasting all around tire, grip, cornering, braking.

Weaknesses:    slow and noisy on pavement, very hard tire

Bottom Line:
Excellent all around tire, resist lots punishment in diffeent conditions. I weight 220lbs and I broke the Specialized Resolution in the first use over rocks. These tires resisted and performed excellent. I will try them with a tube less conversion kit.

Favorite Trail:   Olleros

Purchased At:   PP

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Resolution Pro 26x2.1", 120TPI, aramid bead, dual compound

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper FSR Comp plain vainilla 2007

Submitted by BlackSCRunner a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA USA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2008

Strengths:    This is my first review here, but I felt the need to add to the great reviews of this tire. I will not buy another mtb tire for general 'all mountain' trail riding PERIOD. I ride in the Northeast and this tire grips amazing everything from loose gravel and sand to pine needles and roots to dirt, grass, and solid rock! I run 2.5's front and rear and they hook up awesome. I can't wait to try them downhill this summer!

Weaknesses:    Do not try to ride on the road unless you want a really good leg workout! I have ridden around the city on these a little bit, they are kinda loud, and you feel the tread, and they take some effort to get moving. But that is NOT what they are for! For trail riding, not racing XC, these are the best tires I've ever used!

Bottom Line:
If you want ultimate traction in a WIDE variety of terrain, and you don't care about rolling wicked fast like an XC racer, and you don't plan to use them on the road, BUY THEM! I have bought all my pairs at price point. At $20 they are a bargain, when they go on sale for $13 or $15 I stock up! You should too! Now go ride!

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   WTB weirwolf (not impressed) Michelin wildgripper lite(great grip but waaay too many flats!) Continental Gravity (Terrible on loose stuff IMO)

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign, uncut manitou nixon, moto-style brakes, protaper fat bars, thompson shorty stem, carbon spacers to make my bars high, oury grips, azonic loveseat saddle. I LOVE IT SET UP THIS WAY!

Submitted by Andrew D. a Weekend Warrior from British Columbia

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2008

Strengths:    Traction, traction, traction! Resistance to pinch-flats

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
Wow - these cheap ($19.00), tires offer some of, if not, 'the' best, traction I've yet to experience in a mountain-bike tire! I was able to climb, non-stop to the top of a bluff that our trail-building group has been working on for three summers - I'm officially the first one to have every ridden it non-stop to the top!

I own this distinction to these brutally heavy, but stunningly traction-oriented 2.5” tires.

If you’re looking for a killer tire for you’re all-mountain ride - and aren’t a weight-weenie – you’ve found traction heaven here.

Andrew D.

Favorite Trail:   Comfortably Numb

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Too many too list!

Bike Setup:   Blur / Full XTR

Submitted by Kevin B a Cross Country Rider from Southwest VA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2008

Strengths:    Traction!

Weaknesses:    Weight, Rolling Resistence

Bottom Line:
The is a tractor tire. Seriously, this thing has a tremendous amount of grip even when things get wet. But the trade off is it's also a bit heavier and the rolling resistance is not that great. Breakaway is also kind of sudden as the profile isn't very round and you can't lean these tires over as much as I'd prefer. That said, it's a great all around tire with good grip at a great price.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   wtb velociraptors, maxxis ignitors, hutchinson python airlights

Bike Setup:   singlespeed

Submitted by Nick White a Cross Country Rider from Perth WA Australia

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2008

Strengths:    Grip well in terrible gravel on steep hills. Very predictable slide.

Weaknesses:    NONE that I can find

I wish to edit my previous rather tough post about this. I was concerned about the sidewalls. Later I was assured by several people that the lines in the S/W did not matter. They were right. The lines are still there, the tyres still grip like whatever to a blanket.

Bottom Line:
I read all the reviews. I bought on the strength of those. I am not sorry.

Not the fastest tyre around, but I trust them to the nth.

Bike Setup:   Giant Yukon

Submitted by Mark Huppertz a Weekend Warrior from Tijeras, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2007

Strengths:    Great tire in all conditions. Different tire pressures adjust for different terrain perfectly. Tough and long lasting. I bomb these tires without mercy on sharp rocks for the last three years, and haven't had a pinch flat 'till this last weekend. I'm going to buy another set just to make sure I have them!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I wish I had a bunch of money so I could buy 10 sets of these!

Favorite Trail:   Cedro Peak Trail System

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Velociraptors which lost their side lugs the first summer.

Bike Setup:   Trek Y-22 FSB 18lbs even.

Submitted by Nyal a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2007

Strengths:    Moist conditions
Loamy forests

Weaknesses:    Thick mud
Dry, loose alpine conditions
Wet roots and rocks

Bottom Line:
I have to give this a 4. It is a great tyre - my favourite front so far and I've tried quite a few. It's a nice round shape and the side lugs are well supported, means it corners like a bad boy.

Negatives are that it is conditions dependent, it doesn't like wet roots and rocks (the rubber is too hard) and is middling in loose dry alpine conditions. The sidewall is also too thin to run at sub 35 psi.

I reckon my next front tyre will be a similar moto style but with thicker sidewall and softer rubber. WTB Prowler anyone??!

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Rampage, WTB Motoraptor, Continental Verticals, IRC V-Claw

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Billings Mt USA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2007

Strengths:    Really good front tire. Very predictable - goes where you point it. Rolling resistance on pavement as good as any I've tried.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I ride a lot on hilly "gravel" roads that are really beds of 1/2 inch river pebbles. The Trail Bear at 40 lbs. gives me much better directional stability in this stuff than the Dart. Very reassuring feeling running or braking. Even beats the Smokes on the rear for traction and the corner lugs don't tear off nearly as easily.

Favorite Trail:   Hellroaring Plateau Road

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Jones, Panaracer Dart, Panaracer Smoke

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX 7

Submitted by Dan N a Racer from Canada

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2007

Strengths:    Cornering. The best cornering tire ever.

Bottom Line:
I've tried many tires over the past 15 years, and this is the best cornering tire ever. I'm using 2.25 width for general purpose, racing and light freeride. Grip is tenacious, lets go very predictably - the only two wheel drift around a hairpin that I've ever done in an XC race was with these tires.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Pythons, Panaracer Fires, IRC Kujos, Almost everything Continental,

Bike Setup:   Giant Composite C2

Submitted by Ryan Ferraro a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2007

Strengths:    Grippy, awesome cornering, extremely light, kevlar bead, low rolling resistance, inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    VERY thin sidewall. Pinch flats, and rollovers (sub 30psi.)

Bottom Line:
Overall this is a good tire, I like to run low pressures (sub 30psi.) in my tires, so with these tires, it presented the problem of pinch flats in the rock gardens. I had to run 35+ psi. with DH tubes 2.25mm thick in order not to pinch. Its too bad because I really like these tires. Also the traction on large rocks were poor, but there really are not many tires out there that preform any better.

Favorite Trail:   Diablo

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Seabrook, TX

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2007

Strengths:    great cornering, sticky compound, great wear

Weaknesses:    a little heavy, weak sidewall

Bottom Line:
I put 500mi (by my computer)on a set, until my rear tire wore out. Then I went with a set of panaracer fire xc pros. I was unhappy with the cornering ability of the fire xc on the front so I put the trail bear back on the front and used it for another 1000mi. This past week I hucked a 4ft ramp @ 22mph w/35lbs in the front tire and it blew-out a big hole in the side on the landing sending me tumbling through gravel - ouch!!! I still give them a great rating because I had over 1500mi on this tire.

Favorite Trail:   jack brooks

Purchased At:   came on cannondale prophet

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet, pretty much stock

Submitted by Derek a Weekend Warrior from California

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2007

Strengths:    Grippy compound, aggressive knobs, kevlar bean, light weight for FR tire, enough width and volume to run low pressures, wear very well

Weaknesses:    Thin sidewall prone to pinch flat, compound turns slippery after a while, somewhat tall profile

Bottom Line:
This is a great, cheap and sticky FR tire. I found them quite grippy in most conditions that I encounter here in N. California; hard packed, wet, roots, rocky. They have enough volume to run low pressures, but be careful because it's a fine line to getting low enough to pinch flat easily. I tend to run around 28 PSI with good results. The side walls are thin compared to other FR tires so I also found them to fold a tad w/ low pressures, but the upside is light weight.

I've had the tires for 2 years and they've worn very well. The knobs have of course lost their sharp corners/edges, but they still stand strong and tall.

However, I have noticed that they have suddenly lost grip in the turns, partially responsible for laying down some nice raspberries on my leg. I haven't ridden the bike for a few months, so I can only assume the rubber has aged to the point where it's no longer as grippy. But 2 years is a long time to own a tire, and I got plenty of good miles out of these.

I just ordered another set for $20 apiece since I couldn't really find another that suited me well. Almost went for the Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegal combo, but too many poor reviews about them only lasting a month.

Favorite Trail:   Demo