Home | Reviews | Tire | IRC

IRC Serac XC Tire

4.15/5 (62 Reviews)

IRC Serac XC Kevlar Tire: High quality kevlar bead XC tire. Ramped, angled knobs reversible for front or rear use.

Submitted by zenpunkist a Weekend Warrior from pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2010

Strengths:    fast

Weaknesses:    weak side walls. low grade compound material

Bottom Line:
Watch out as you go downhill on this tire, its fast but easily gets thrown off track on rocky loose terain. I run a low psi on this tire just for an added grip. Does not grip on dry pack as the description above suggests.

On the other hand, it is an exceptional tire on wet packed trailS, it clears mud well and i find it grips on dead leafy vegetation without too much slide.

Overall, stay away from hard pack and rocky loose terrian with this tire.

Favorite Trail:   redman

Purchased At:   Adventure cycling

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   cannondale f600-super fatty ultra fork. stock components yet reasonable

Submitted by yemajah a Cross Country Rider from Minden, NRW, Germany

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2010

Strengths:    great tire, light, very good grip, good grip on the sidewalls, good cornering, cheap, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    not so good puncture protection, not anymore sold in germany

Bottom Line:
great tire, light, very good grip, good grip on the sidewalls, good cornering, cheap, low rolling resistance, everything you want in a CC-tire exept better puncture protection

Bike Setup:   several

Submitted by Rich from New Jersey a Cross Country Rider from N. Plainfield NJ USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2010

Strengths:    Good grip, reasonable price, light weight

Weaknesses:    edge knobs weak

Bottom Line:
Thought I'd found a really great tire until I ripped an edge knob off riding a fairly rocky trail near home. Immediately flatted and had to walk back to car, tire casing went with knob - no use puting in a new tube. This was only after about 2 weeks use.

I only weigh about 165 pounds, so I don't think the tire was overloaded.

Can only give 2 flaming chilies for these, hope others have a better experience.

Favorite Trail:   Woodstock Ontario

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Kenda, Performance, Michelin, Panaracer

Bike Setup:   Canondale Scalpel

Submitted by DHmonkey123 a Weekend Warrior from San Anselmo, Marin, California

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2010

Strengths:    Very grippy in technical parts of trails and are great for all around use

Bottom Line:
these tires are do it all tires. most people who try my bike are jealous unless they have kendas on them. since my 2004 headshock is broken, i lowerd the pressure so they absorb a tiny bit of impact. they hold up off of 5 ft drops and never fail on technical, muddy, uphill singletrack. great for endurance, jumping, tubeless, nontearableness. buy them. if they were kendas they would be 5 chilis but they arent as good

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   kendas, maxxis, michealan car tires, bontrager

Bike Setup:   Cannondale f400

Submitted by nickmotown a Cross Country Rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap and durable

Weaknesses:    Everything else...

Bottom Line:
These tires are durable and cheap, but they leave everything else to be desired.

I have tried multiple inflation levels and cannot get anything to work. The tires are either over-inflated, bouncy all over the trail, slipping on roots and hard to predict in the corners or are too soft and suffer from regular punctures.

I have used these tires enough and have walked away. Even as back up tires for racing, its better to enjoy the time you have riding and choose something else. If you already own them, ride them to dust and move on.

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Karma, Hutchinson Python

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC Composite

Submitted by debusama a Cross Country Rider from Spokane, Wa

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2009

Strengths:    Best climbing tire I’ve used to far
Good in corners (when not breaking)
Tough as nails (sidewalls and pinch flats, not punctures)

Weaknesses:    Traction while breaking, more like a 2.0 than a 2.1

Bottom Line:
These tires are so very good on most conditions, but so very bad in others. They corner relatively well, but they are kind of all or none. They rarely fail to hook up, but if you do lose traction, all control is gone. On dry/loose descents, as soon as I try to feather the brakes to control my speed, the tire goes into a slide and I experience the aforementioned total lack of control. This tire works great for climbing. I accidentally ended up on a rocky abandon railroad trestle with big chunks of volcanic rock. I can’t believe I made it home with my tires still in tact.

I’ve been testing out a lot of tires in preparation for a 100-mile race where I expect jagged, rocky terrain mixed with dry, loose sand and gravel. With the combination of strong side walls, pinch flat resistance (I have had a puncture flat with these)and climbing traction,I think I’ve defiantly found my back tire, but I’ll have to keep looking for a front tire that will perform in sand. I may use my mythos or dart front, or try a Mibro 2.25, Or a MK 2.2.

Favorite Trail:   Riverside state park

Purchased At:   Price point

Similar Products Used:   Kenda:blue grove, Nevgals, Karma. Panarace: Smoke/Dart IRC Mythos.

Bike Setup:   Short travel XC full squish

Submitted by lewis82 a Cross Country Rider from Alma, Québec, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2009

Strengths:    Great traction, little resistance on asphalt, cheap too

Weaknesses:    none...

Bottom Line:
Bought these because my other tire was completely slick. They were much easier to install than other tires I had played with.

Since I do a lot of road with my bike I inflated them at 50 pounds and even then, they still had great traction on dirt and sand. However, while cornering, it could have been better.

At 40 pounds it was perfect, except still that cornering problem (however those are 26 x 1.96 while I was used to have 26 x 2.10), but it was almost not perceptible.

Anyone who rides in trails and on road (I personnaly do about 50/50) would like it and at about 40 bucks, it's a very good value.

Purchased At:   Vélo CIté

Similar Products Used:   Kenda something (stock on my bike)

Bike Setup:   2006 Giant Rincon (canadian model)

Pretty cheap bike but does the job

Submitted by weissen a Cross Country Rider from Westerwald,Germany

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2008

Strengths:    rolls fast, good traction, had no defect so far, fair pricing

Weaknesses:    wears too fast, could be a bit lighter, corners in wet conditions

Bottom Line:
The best CC-Tyres I ever had so far. Rolls very good on all grounds, very good braking-traction. Could have little more grip for corners on loose grounds.
Good traction even on muddy ground.(at last marathon I climbed in the Mud hills, where nearly all others had to walk with their CC-Tyres).
I would buy them again, but its hard to find a shop that has it in germany. So I take Kendas Karma now.

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Racing Ralph+Nobby Nic, Panaracer Dart+Smoke, Conti Explorer

Bike Setup:   Centurion Backfire LRS, Magura Louise FR, Manitou Black, Shimano XT, Serac XC 2.1 front+rear

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Moscow, ID

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2007

Strengths:    Good traction on hard stuff. Corners well on hard surfaces. Good wear. Pretty good in mud.

Weaknesses:    Horrible on loose dirt or gravel. Refuse to turn at low speeds on even slightly loose surfaces. Squirrelly on steep descents. In loose pounded dirt they will pretty much drop into whatever groove they want whether you want them to or not.

Bottom Line:
I had these in the 1.95's. They're pretty good as long as conditions are hard. They climbed and cornered well in hard conditions and also hooked up well in mud.

Dry loose conditions are another story. I felt downright dangerous on these in loose dirt, loose over hard, and gravel. If you happen to get the rear out of the groove and into the loose leaves or pine needles, kiss traction goodbye. On loose corners any amount of lean leads to a washout and if you try to slow down they just wont turn. In late summer with deep dust and chewed up trails they not only have no traction going up, they're just plain dangerous coming down.

If all you do is ride in mud or hard, wet conditions these probably would work great. They probably would also make a decent early season/Spring tire before trails have gotten dry and chewed up. If, however, you ride in anything loose then stay away. They aren't worn hardly at all yet but I'm getting rid of them, they're just too unpredictable.

Favorite Trail:   Most on Moscow Mtn.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Velociraptors

Bike Setup:   Cove Handjob, xt drivetrain, Hayes HFX9's, Reba fork

Submitted by Joseph Crotty a Cross Country Rider from Westminster, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2007

Strengths:    Little rolling resistance, light weight and relaively cheap. Seems to handle virutally the same at high pressure as medium pressure. Good for climbing dry hard pack.

Weaknesses:    Performs poorly on descents. Can deflect erradically when dealing with rocks and is very unstable in loose gravel terrain - border line dangerous. Wet conditions also yield poor performance all around.

Bottom Line:
As much I was enamored by this tire for it's general climbing prowess and light weight the truth is once you get 20% wear on the tire it's weaknesses become exagerated and it's to much to bear.

Descents on wet dirt will train you to keep you eyes peeled for the nearest exit off trail because if your speed gets too high that is where you are headed. Dropping into any sort of loose gravel at speed is terrifying beyond reason.

Favorite Trail:   Chimney Gulch to Apex

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC, Hutchinson Pythons, WTB WierWolf, etc...

Bike Setup:   '04 Santa Cruz Blur

Submitted by gerry daclo a Cross Country Rider from ottawa

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2007

Strengths:    Very little rolling resistance.. Very light tires. strong bead. can handle 60+ ft/lb. Unexpensive compared to lots of other tires.
Excellent on climbs., stick to large rocks well.
Perfect for hardpack racing. good for air suspensions.

Weaknesses:    weak on descents.. Banana peels when going fast downhill.
terrible on loose gravel.

Bottom Line:
good for hardpack, wet pavement or rocks.

forget about downhill on those.. no confidence..they are being removed this weekend..

Favorite Trail:   Bromont, qubec

Purchased At:   tommy lefebvre ottawa

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, kendas, Panaracer dirt+smoke (my favourite), Maxxis (ouch!)

Bike Setup:   gary fisher cake2DLX

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Quezon City, Philippines

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    No grip on rough trail

Bottom Line:
The tires are light, but that's not the point. Uphill climb is good. However, you can lose confidence going downhill. The gaps between side knobs are so far apart that any small rock or stone can cause the front tire to deflect when you hit that gap.

Tires are good only on hard packed trails. Not recommended for rough and loose trails.

Favorite Trail:   Maarat

Purchased At:   Extreme Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Country Trail

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS-G, Rockshox Reba, Shimano XT drivetrain, Avid disc brakes.

Submitted by Amitai a Cross Country Rider from Barkai, Israel

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2007

Strengths:    Pinch flat resistance. Durability.

Weaknesses:    Probably not as fast on pavement as other tires. But then again, I never have problems keeping up with the other riders.

Bottom Line:
Got the front wheel fitted with a Serac (steel bead) after I busted the original tire in a crash. After having 6 pinch flats on the rear tire (I'm a bit of a heavyweight), I got that replaced to a Serac, too. Since then, I had one flat exactly, and I have ridden about the same distance as with the original tire. I ride in the desert a lot, which means many rock gardens and sharp stones - Many times I hear the tore getting scraped against a sharp rock and I think "there it goes", but nothing happens. Currently, I don't think I need anything more sophisticated (read "expensive") for my bike and ride.

Similar Products Used:   The tires that came with my bike - Giant branded 26x1.95

Bike Setup:   Giant Iguana - pretty much stock, except the tires and Velocity Cliffhanger front rim.

Submitted by Justin Murray a Cross Country Rider from Canberra, ACT

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2007

Strengths:    This tyre is awesome in the loose over hardpack conditions here. It works well on the front and back.

Weaknesses:    I could only buy one for this low price.

Bottom Line:
This rolls as quickly as the Ritchey WCS Z-Max tyre with lots more grip in loose conditions.

Favorite Trail:   Sparrow Hill

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Smoke Classic 2.1, Bontrager Jones 2.2, Ritchey Elevader WCS 2.1, Ritchey Z-Max WCS 1.9, Panaracer Dart Classic 2.1, WTB Velociraptor 2.1.

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500 with Ritchey WCS, Easton, Crank Bros and Salsa upgrades.

Submitted by Norman a Cross Country Rider from Fredericton, NB, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2006

Strengths:    No pinch flats, good traction

Bottom Line:
I ride east coast single track -- trails that are rocky, rooty, fairly technical, moderately packed loam (low traffic trails, so not hard packed), well drained (not much mud) and with few fast descents. These are excellent tires for this type of trail. (I'm not saying they're not good for other conditions -- I just don't know.) Traction in various conditions is good, and the pinch flat resistance is excellent. I'm 175 lbs and I often ride 25 psi without a problem. My wife is 125 lbs and she often rides less than 20 psi. Neither of us has had a flat in three seasons. I'm not saying you can slam into a rock at the end of a screaming downhill -- the trails I ride are fairly technical and so fairly slow. But there are rock gardens, random rocks and small sharp stumps galore, and the Seracs handle it all reliably. Contrast the Kendas that came with the Blur -- a stump ripped open the side wall after about three rides.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur

Schwalbe Nobby Nic Vs IRC Serac XC

Yes that's right the old IRC Serac XC !!!!:thumbsup: I trade my Schwalbe NN 2.25 UST for the IRC Serac 2.1 XC. First let me tell you that for more than 5 years I never ride so little tire but it measure 2.1 exactly and the weight 742 gr (1.63 lbs)!! I do trail riding in all kind of terrain, ALL!! ... Read More »

IRC Serac XC USTs

For Norcal/Northbay - Annadel, Oathill, etc.? Stick with tubed tires?Read More »

2.1 IRC Serac XC USTs

On Mavic Crossmax Xls, for Northbay XC/trail riding - Annadel, Oathill, Tamarancho, etc. spring/summer? New to USTs. Or stick with tubed options?Read More »

Replacing 2.1 IRC Serac XC

Looking to replace the stock Serac XC 2.1s on my Rush, these are the all black ones and they just do not cut it for year round riding in Northern California. Just do not seem substantial enough . Can run up to a 2.3 on the rim and was wondering what some recommendations were. This is a pure XC bi ... Read More »

Serac XC vs. XC Lite

I am a big fan of IRC's Serac XC tires and getting ready to order a pair to replace the studded tires on my winter/backup bike. I've bought 3-4 sets of Seracs in the past couple of years and never paid much attention to the XC-Lites. The main difference appears to be weight (450gr vs. 580 for 2.1' ... Read More »