Home | Reviews | Tire | IRC

IRC Mythos XC Tire

3.6/5 (326 Reviews)

CAF Technology. Scaled down tread design and with a lighter casing suitable for Cross Country. Dual compound tread rubber for better bite, better cornering, and low rolling resistance. Weight 510g.

Submitted by Fuzz a Weekend Warrior from Mountain View CA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap durable tire.

Weaknesses:    Fast hardpack

Bottom Line:
A decent tire that performance often has on sale. My only complain is they tend to skitter at high speeds on the hardpack. It just doesn't roll smoothly and absorb the little stuff like the Kendas will.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Fire XC, Nevagal

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by pk a Weekend Warrior from PA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2010

Strengths:    fast rolling, good grip on most surfaces I have used them on, nice looking

Weaknesses:    I put roughly 35 miles off road on them and there was a severe blow out in the sidewall, right above the wire bead. Luckily, the bike was sitting on my roof rack and I wasn't bombing down a hill. Upon inspection, the steel bead wire seemed very rusted and the blow out in the side wall came right above the bead. The blowout looked like a 3/4 inch slice.

Bottom Line:
I really enjoyed the performance of the tire, but the blowout of the sidewall may scare me off from buying another one.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   discount internet (I

Similar Products Used:   WTB tires

Bike Setup:   Trek 6000 hardtail

Submitted by slomyro a Downhiller from Milwaukee WI

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2009

Strengths:    keeps me on the bike more than i can say for the bontragers i had on did

Weaknesses:    they tend to hold on to the mud but i haven't come across to many tires that are a whole lot better either

Bottom Line:
overall pretty happy with the tire. no tire is perfect they all have plusses and minuses. for the price i paid im not complaining at all.

Favorite Trail:   petrifieing springs

Purchased At:   patio bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, v raptors

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500 converted to solid front fork running all shimano deore LX and STX

Submitted by davie a Weekend Warrior from Redwood City, CA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Cheap

Bottom Line:
These tires suck. Do not waste your money or your time. The rear tire split after a 3 mile ride. Yes 3 miles! I emailed IRC twice absolutely no response at all. Not only do they make crap products but they don't have any customer service at all. Returned them to Perfomance no questions asked they replaced with WTB Velociraptor Tire which work great.

Favorite Trail:   Waterdog

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   WTB Velociraptor Tire

Bike Setup:   Trek- Hardtail.

Submitted by SKV a Cross Country Rider from Fair Lawn

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2009

Strengths:    Looks cool

Weaknesses:    don't hold on rock... Don't hold on loose soil... Just don't hold...

Mythos has medium size pattern that tends to accumulates mud. Once stuck with mud tire becomes useless.

Bottom Line:
I ride every weekend in New Jersey My favorite trial are:
Ramapo, Ringwood and '6 mile run'. Like most NJ trails they are rocks, loose gravel soil, some mud, roots. Over years, I went through many IRC Trailbear and decide to try Mythos XC.

While riding across the slope Mythos tends to slide down. It also gets stuck with mud and slides on big rocks. While climbing wheel sinks in loose soil. Only on mud wheel finds some traction. I am 180 lb, so it is not about my weight.
I am back to Trailbear.

Favorite Trail:   Ramapo/6 mi run/Ringwood

Purchased At:   Campmor

Similar Products Used:   IRC TrailBear, Panaracer Fire xc pro, Panaracer Dart,

Bike Setup:   Custom build agile HT.
Front tire: Panaracer Dart (very directional).
Mythos XC.

Submitted by driscoli a Cross Country Rider from Florida

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2009

Strengths:    durability, good mud clearance, good cornering

Weaknesses:    weight, sand performance

Bottom Line:
These tires came stock on my bike when I bought it. I thought about switching them out but decided to try them. They've handled great for several years. I mostly ride hardpack, some sand, some rooty trails but minimal hills since most of my rides are in Florida. They corner great and work well through the mud. I've had a few thorns, etc but nothing that caused major damage, although it's only a matter of time before any tire finds a thorn or rock ro gravel piece that ends it. I usually run 40-45psion both the front and back. I'd recommend these to anyone who rides cross country, expecially int he mixed terrain of the southeastern states.

Favorite Trail:   Hannah Park, Jacksonville, FL

IRC Mythos XC
Bontrager wheels

Submitted by James Armstrong a Racer from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2009

Strengths:    Everything imaginable!

Weaknesses:    Gets flats when you ride through cactus. That's about it.

Bottom Line:
This tire is awesome but I rode it through a cactus and it popped. I like to ride through rivers and washes.

Favorite Trail:   Buena Vista

Purchased At:   US Olympics Team Dea

Similar Products Used:   You name it, I've tried it.

Bike Setup:   Custom made Olympics bike cause I ride in the Olympics all the time.

Submitted by Lawson Raider a Cross Country Rider from Lawson, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2009

Strengths:    Durability, traction

Bottom Line:
I have never noticed any issue with traction on these tires. I have ridden on snow packed trails with these and had but a minute slippage taking a curve fast.

If you ride sensibly, these tires do a wonderful job at keeping you on the trail. I have ridden these tires on flat and very steep terrain, very curvy terrain and for the most part, the tires did their job as well as can be expected.

In two years with running these tires, never (knock on wood) had a puncture but hoping I don't find out the hard way on how susceptible or not these tires are to punctures.

Favorite Trail:   Smithville MTB

Purchased At:   Santa Fe Trails and

Bike Setup:   1999 Specialized FSR Ground Control

Submitted by Barkleyfan a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2008

Strengths:    price, weight

Weaknesses:    traction

Bottom Line:
Not the best tire I've run. Slides are predictable and easy to maintain. They are also inevitable. Tire packs with mud at low speed, and kills low speed climbs with spinning at the wrong time. My Giant Rainier has old worn, semi-slick Hutchinson Mosquitos that get better traction on climbs and in the corners. I do have to give the braking to the Mythos, especially in mud.

Bottom line is on dry hardpack, they rock. Throw anything else at them, they are disappointing.

Similar Products Used:   Psycho K/TT, Smoke/Dart, Z-Max, Hutchinson Mosquitos.

Bike Setup:   1996 Trek 830 LX silent hub, XT M-system brakes, 12-28 9-spd 24,36,46 on Sugino XD cranks LX derailers, STC-RC shifters

Submitted by justjoshnya a Cross Country Rider from Lake Ozark, Missouri

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2008

Strengths:    Pretty Durable, Light, good hookup front and rear in most conditions, fairly flat resistant. Tall knobs appropriately spaced. good all around tire

Weaknesses:    Must get psi just right see below

Bottom Line:
I have used these tires for 10 years and love them. They are a great priced, light weight, fast rolling, good all around tire. Great hookup in all conditions. I've used them in desert, mud, hardpack, rooty. I live in the ozarks where it is mad rocky and they do well. I work at a bike shop and we have a mtb club of about 40 riders and I have observed for years that these tires last longer with less flats. I recommend running Panaracer Flat Away Kevlar Liners inside, they are super light felt (30g) and stick to the inside of the tire and stay put and virtuerally eliminate all flats. I weight 170 and like 45psi up front and 50 rear(full suspension) I find the right psi is crucial with these tires due to the tall knobs. Too high and the tires wash out on you in fast corners.

Favorite Trail:   Four Winns, Lake of the Ozarks State Park

Purchased At:   Oz Cycles

Similar Products Used:   WTP Velocity raptor, other wtbs, tiogas

Bike Setup:   08 Trek Fuel EX Custom build

Submitted by selvanthos a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2008

Strengths:    I have been running these for a very long time and they are still going. Good grip

Weaknesses:    Heavy compared to race tires

Bottom Line:
I am happy with my IRC's and would deffinetly recomend them to someone who just likes to get out and ride but if you are looking at racing i would havce a closer look at maxxis

Favorite Trail:   Daisy Hill national park trails

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis

Bike Setup:   Titanium frame. chris king wheels and head set. carbon bars. XTR

Submitted by irony a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2008

Strengths:    Look cool.

Weaknesses:    Anything will puncture these tyres.

Bottom Line:
Good for getting punctures, even with a puncture strip installed they will get punctures.

Favorite Trail:   South Downs

Purchased At:   Merlin Cycles

Bike Setup:   Rock Lobster Team Tig 2001

Submitted by Tim R a Racer from Boulder, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2008

Strengths:    Great value for the money! Wears well. Reliable. Light for it's tread pattern. Easy to mount/remove.

Weaknesses:    seems like it doesn't climb/brake as well in loose conditions -- but I have not personally ridden anything significantly better.

Bottom Line:
Used the rear tire only. Just a great value tire, works well for all ability levels, though racers may want an even lighter tire. For reviewers who complain about blowouts or sidewall cuts -- learn not to lock up the rear tire when riding over sharp rocks. Never had a sidewall cut in 4 years, and I ride/race some extremely rocky terrain (WP, Double Top, Teocalli, Gambrill, etc). Average number of pinch flats. (my 2.4 Motoraptor front tire has NEVER pinch flatted in 5 years, at 32 psi)

Favorite Trail:   Amasa Back

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   IRC Serac

Bike Setup:   high-end full suspension

Submitted by Chris from melbourne, australia

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2008

Strengths:    Reasonably light, rolls well, cheap, lasts well, corners brillinatly on hard pack, dirt, loose gravel and still ok on dry roads.

Weaknesses:    no puncture protection, lacks grip on wet leaves/dirt.-Frotnt tire.

Bottom Line:
Very nice tyre for my riding needs. worked extrmely well on loose dirt and hard pack at lysterfield- the bulk of my mtb-ing.Had supreme confidence in the front and never felt it slipping out from under me. Lost grip in wet situations and i was unable to descend with extreme confidence and had to brake bit earlier. *works well in dry conditions-could do with beefier side knobs for wet conditions*

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Olsen Bagge

Purchased At:   Goldcross Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized roll x sport, fast trak, cheng shu, michelin at's and hutchinson bulldogs.

Bike Setup:   XC hardtail, xt deraileurs, deore shifters, firex cranks hollow pin chain, pg-950 cassette,

Submitted by Billy a Cross Country Rider from RI

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
I had been running the IRC Mythos XC aramid blackwalls for years on all my bikes and found them to be great overall performers. I ride during the winter and they really cut through the snow, slush, and mud. Also I do some beach riding and they get me through all but the loosest sand. At replacemnt time I switched to the rustwalls and within weeks all of the rears had sidewall blowouts on six different tires. I run the pressure according to manufacturer recommendations and check them before each ride. I contacted IRC and they told me to return them to the retailer. Since I bought them online, the shipping charges made that cost ineffective. I have since switched to the WTB Velociraptors.