Home | Reviews | Tire | IRC

IRC Mythos XC Slick Tire

3.71/5 (42 Reviews)

Rolling resistance is a poison that burns your lungs and drowns you quads in lactic acid. In that spirit we offer the Mythos XC Slick, a low profile, speed-inducing elixir that eliminates rolling resistance as quickly as it eliminates other members of your XC field. Includes the flat-resistant PFR System, light but strong CAF Casing and ground grabbing Hybrid tread compound. Click on the image to the left for an enlarged photo showing tread detail and related product specifications

Submitted by Eric J

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2013

Strengths:    Low roll resistance on the road and dirt. Tread lasted more than 1,000 miles! Won't load up with mud. Low price @ Pricepoint.com

Weaknesses:    Sharp turns on wet asphalt at speed will dang near KILL YOU! Came with white mould release agent caked all over the outside/tread.

Bottom Line:
I had these tires on my bike for quite awhile, the tread seemed to lose it's sharp, defined edges rather soon; but it actually lasted for more than 1,000 miles. The tires didn't seem to make all that much noise on the road or in the dirt. Lots of people thought these tires were baldies from skidding before pointing out that these were "Slicks." You will go alot faster with these tires, and I am trying to find a new set with little luck. There was some white mould release agent all over the outside of the tires/tread, this came off after a few wet rides. Be careful if you are riding on wet asphalt, a sharp turn while going too fast will wipe you out. All in all, I really like this tire, it does what it needs to do and more.

Submitted by muttonmark a Weekend Warrior from Midland, MI

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2011

Strengths:    Price, Roll, and the Red Sidewalls looked pretty cool with my Orange Reynolds 853 Hardtail

Weaknesses:    Wet/Loose/Rooted Terrain - Danger!!!

Bottom Line:
This tire has been riden on tight hardpack singletrack, as well as worn in Michigan Rooted singletrack, wet and dry. Let me tell you this, dry in July/Aug, keep 'em on but shift your weight well in the rooty stuff. Get 'em off when the leaves start to fall and the rain comes, 'cuz you'll pay like I did if you leave them on.(Thank God I was wearing my helmet). A friend gave these to me, so I tried them out(Red-Japenese Model). Now I just put these on for Spring warm-up Street Riding. I haven't had the cornering issue on pavement that I have read in the other reviews, but these were also pretty worn.

Purchased At:   Friend Gave to me

Bike Setup:   Reynolds 853 Hardtail, Manitou Fork, Sun/Tomac Rims, Jamis Dakar XCT, Mavic Crossride, Avid BB7

Submitted by javier a Cross Country Rider from Caracas, Venezuela

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap, relatively light

Weaknesses:    Vibrates when ridden on pavement, unprecise cornering on the road

Bottom Line:
Although it should ride smooth, it vibrates a lot on pavement when compared to other 1.95 wide tires (I use 40psi) and the tire looks square when looked at when ridden. Perhaps higher pressure could round the tire a little and run smooth.

Cornering on pavement is scary. The high lateral knobs is problably the origin of such road instability. Be careful when cornering on pavement.

On the other side, those high lateral knobs make the tire perform surprisingly well for a semi-slick on hardpack, whether you are climbing or descending.

Bottom line: good tire for hardpack, not so good tire for pavement. Value rating based on cheap price. Otherwise it would have been 3.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos XC II, WTB Velociraptors, Kenda Kharma & Klimax

Bike Setup:   Cannondale f700sx, XTR drivetrain, lefty

Submitted by wv_bob a Cross Country Rider from Almost Heaven

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap, light, fast rolling

Weaknesses:    Some buzz

Bottom Line:
I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but I've put about 200 miles on these tires and they're working fine for me. No sidewall blowout, no unexpected breakaway when cornering. I admit, I got them to break loose once, on grass, but I had to try to make it happen.

If you're like me, riding a combination of pavement and smooth dirt, these tires are worth a shot, especially at the pricepoint twofer price.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Price Point twofer d

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey SpeedMax

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Single Speed conversion

Submitted by cpad007 a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2008

Strengths:    Nice rolling on pavement/asphalt/hardpack gravel

Weaknesses:    Cornering!

Bottom Line:
I'm a pure commuter on my MTB and 2/3 of my commute is on paved trails and 1/3 is on hard-packed gravel. I like the speed (i.e. low rolling resistance) on the street and hardpack but the knobbies also come in handy on the hardpack where the gravel/dirt piles up here and there and they also work well in the rain on the hardpack. I've read about side walls blowing out on these but I've used these tires for 3+ years and have never had such a problem. I've simply worn them out and am on my 4th or 5th set. I do about 6000 miles per year. I love these tires and Priceline's 2 for $20 is a fabulous deal although lately, the price has been bumped to 2 for $30.

Yes, cornering is BAD with these on the street. Don't take it too hard or you will lay down when the rear wheel breaks free on you. You just need to learn the limits and you'll be fine. Of course, full knobbies are just as bad on the street, too, so this shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

Purchased At:   Priceline

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hemisphere, IRC Mythos Slick

Bike Setup:   2005 Trek 6500 and 6700

Submitted by Dave S a Weekend Warrior from Franklin.NH, USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2008

Strengths:    Inexpensive; didn't get a chance to check out the actual funcition

Weaknesses:    Weak sidewalls. Mine ripped open while inflating it, which also ruined the tube. It wasn't even up to 40 psi yet!

Bottom Line:
I needed new tires and couldn't resist the "twofer" at Price Point- two Mythos XC Slicks for $24.98. Take it from me: Resist the twofer. The sidewall ripped open with an odd "skraunnch!" noise while inflating it. It hadn't even reached the minimum pressure of 40psi. The damn thing took my new tube with it when it decided to commit suicide. I'm a heavy guy and what if this tire had let go on the trail instead of on my front porch? I'd have certainly endoed and might be typing this from a hospital bed!! A crappy product and a crappy value. Next time I'll spend the bucks at my LBS for a tire that can actually be looked over.

Favorite Trail:   Winnepesaukee River Trail

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   Elderly full suspension Mongoose.

Submitted by Chris from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2008

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance. Fairly quiet and smooth on the road. Light. CHEAP as heck. $25 for two.

Weaknesses:    Makes me nervous cornering on the road, tires had a weird whitish look.

Bottom Line:
So far I like these tires. I upgraded from worn out Hutchinson pythons. These have less rolling resistance and do not vibrate as much as the pythons. I primarily ride on pavement however, and these tend to seem shady when cornering. It feels as if I am going to slide out which is scary, but I haven't. I think the large knobs on the side are the reason. If you are looking for an off road slick, these are great. If you are looking for an on road slick, make sure you consider the cornering habit.

Purchased At:   price point

Bike Setup:   Specialized

Submitted by Justin a Cross Country Rider from Canberra

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2007

Strengths:    Note - this review is for the Japanese made tyre with red sidewall - not the cheapie black sidewall Taiwanese tyre.

It is fast on the flats and climbing when seated. Very predictable cornering.

Weaknesses:    It is narrow for a 2.1 and slips a bit when climbing out of the saddle.

Bottom Line:
This tyre is best described as a hardpack rather than semi-slick tyre. It works well in those conditions.

Get the Japanese made (red sidewall) tyre, use it for hardpack and loose over hardpack and you will love it.

Favorite Trail:   Majura Pines

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey WCS Z-Max, Michelin Hot S, Maxxis Larsen TT, IRC Serac XC,

Bike Setup:   Trek with Easton, Salsa, WTB Devo, Reba Team and Crank Bros.

Submitted by Wull a Racer from Hollywood, FL, US

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2007

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, low price

Weaknesses:    Quality control -- defective sidewalls.

Nonexistent customer support

Bottom Line:
See earlier review. Sidewalls failed twice on road when new. Since that review, circumstances led me to put one of these I already had on the bike. Sidewall failed in first 10 meters of riding. It was on level, clean pavement.

I AGAIN tried customer service -- emails to address I was given bounced and the company rep at the original email address ignored my requests for an up to date email address. Pathetic

I will keep two chilis for value just because they are quite inexpensive, but that is being generous given the failure rate I have experienced.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Velocipraptors, nanoraptors, Kharsima Lite II

Submitted by specterss a Cross Country Rider from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2007

Strengths:    Well they are not loud and you can ride economicaly when profile goes off. Aint heavy.
It feels very good when you throw them in trash.

Weaknesses:    - not for downhill roadrunners or cross-country (will cost you life!)
- not for hot weather/road (becomes too soft and loses air)
- not for rain conditions
- not for fast manevours
- not durable
- vibrations when new, a little better when profile goes off, but then it soon feels like riding on eggs or on ballon. Helps if you inflate more, but then it loses air.
- only up to 4BAR.
- bad brakeing and looses ground - DON'T brake too late or look where you will fall.
- take corners at least 10km/h slower than usual. You can catch up driving uphill or on straight road.

Bottom Line:
The first ride with new bike with this s**t on 2km hard road. On first 90degree corner, i almost lost the road... Thanks god noone came around. On second day I push a little harder on downroad, 150 degree corner and make it only 30 degrees and ended in F**king bushes!!. There were some time I forgot that I didn't have good old WG Sprint which never failed me on these usual "test" routes.
When used for XC, well they go until there is a little wet or you push a little more than slow, you won't be happy.
And don't brake hard. Try to avoid racing with this s**t.

If you can choose, don't buy these. They are the worst tires I use since baby bike.
This thing is for:
1. those who have a bike and don't ride it (and don't have white walls)
2. maby for those who are making easy ride on county side on perfect weather conditions.
3. for suicide missions (don't blame me)

Favorite Trail:   avoid any trail with these ...

Purchased At:   came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   By category, they should be similar to other slicks (Michelin WG Sprint, Jet/XC, some no-names), but in praxis.. F-

Bike Setup:   Wheeler 4900 2001, deore complete and cheap RST front suspensor. (yea I lived with them for 4 years, but this bike was my second bike for 3 years).

Submitted by Will a Cross Country Rider from Florida, US

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2006

Strengths:    Low price, low rolling resistance but still ok in sand

Weaknesses:    Sidewall. Durability

Bottom Line:
I am an adventure racer who does longer (12 hours and up) events. In those races, hardpack is the majroity of the biking, but there is plenty of sugar sand and often some pavement, with perhaps 8-10 miles of single-track thrown in, so I want a tire that is efficient where I will be spending most of the riding time and will not get me killed on the technical stuff. This tire does strike that balance well. That is why I have been using this model for over 2 years. However, I have twice in the last few months had the sidewall on a new tire fail while simply riding on level pavement. I notice that the reviews from 2006 are not very positive. I tried to contact the company, was told to e-mail them in Japan only to have my e-mail bounce. I am hoping that the company will fix this problem as I liked the product a lot before. Although price is low, having to walk home dampens my enthusiasm a lot.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Nano- and velociraptors

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Oneonta, NY

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2006

Strengths:    Absolutely nothing!

Weaknesses:    Pinch flats, loud vibration, doesn't hold air.

Bottom Line:
This is a warning. This tire sucks. It vibrates like crazy, doesn't hold air, and flattens if you look at it funny. I used this tire once and wound up walking home. Took it off and put my Bontragers back on which have huge knobbies but still roll better. A bad tire. Because of this experience I'll never buy IRC products again. They should be embarassed for selling such a crap product. Complete waste of money. If you like it it's because you've never rode on anything else. You've been warned. Learn from my mistake. Avoid this tire and IRC!
ps: I'm not one to usually bi@#$h like this but I really do feel totally ripped off, even for the price.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint