Home | Reviews | Tire | IRC

3.91/5 (218 Reviews)

Same as Mythos XC

Submitted by kim a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2011

Strengths:    I love these tires. I don't even know if they make them anymore because I'm trying to replace them now and I can't find them. They absolutely rock in the sand and loose stuff. I outdo much more experienced riders in sand because of the tires. They've held up way longer than I ever expected. They are a fabulous dry terrain, loose stuff tire. It's been great in Nevada and Colorado.

Weaknesses:    Stinks in mud and wet terrain.

Bottom Line:
Great tire for riding out west in the dry, dry conditions we have.

Favorite Trail:   I have a few...

Purchased At:   McGhies in Las Vegas

Similar Products Used:   Michelin

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F-400...

Submitted by Steve5083 a Racer from Colorado Springs, Colorado

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2009

Strengths:    Strong bite in loose conditions in the turns. Pretty good in muddy conditions. Durable and confidence inspiring, compared to lighter tires. Excellent for slower courses with lot's of turns and a need for extra traction.

Weaknesses:    Tire needs at least 38psi to avoid pinching and for tire stability. Much over that the tire is not very smooth, especially at high speeds. Light, but no longer competitive in weight with newer tubeless options. Tire is poor for running tubeless since the beads stretch out.

Bottom Line:
I've come back to these and have found that they still are pretty darn good. Compared to newer higher volume tires, the Mythos feel a bit harsh on fast sections. But on slower sections with lots of turns they are fast and have outstanding bite with very progressive traction loss. I run the front version of front and rear wheels. Or i'll run a python on the rear and a Mythos on the front if the course has a lot of fast hardpack. They are obviously a great value at $15 and last about twice as long as new soft compound tires. Only improvements would be a non-stretch bead for tubeless setup and a bit lighter.

Favorite Trail:   Ute Valley Park

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   omg.. tons of tires. Recently I run Pythons on hard pack and courses without a lot of turns. Past year have run Maxxis CrossMax, Spesh Fasttrak and Captains.

Bike Setup:   08 S-Works Epic. Run either tubes or tubeless, depending on tire choice.

Submitted by Als Query a Cross Country Rider from Québec

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2006

Strengths:    Nice and light Tire,

Weaknesses:    After only 150 Miles , a knob teared off. Very cheap.

Bottom Line:
After only 150 Miles , a knob teared off. Very cheap.

Purchased At:   neron sport

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Kraken

Bike Setup:   Oryx 250

Submitted by Gary a Cross Country Rider from Texassssss

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2006

Strengths:    Light, fast, good gradual side grips, very cheap, lasted at least 1000 miles.

Weaknesses:    Well...I did hurt myself on a wet root once, but I was running 1.95. With that small of a tire you have to expect it to slip some to the time.

Bottom Line:
I am on my second set. The first was a 1.95, now I'm running 2.1 and they are still the lightest, fastest tire I ever run. With a price between 12 and 20 dollors I can't see myself looking for anything else until they quit making them.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Hill,Three Sistersin Evergreen

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   panracer smoke, specialized roll-x, irc backcountry

Bike Setup:   Sugar+, XT....

Submitted by Mike Reding a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2005

Strengths:    There are 3 versions of the same tire! This review is about the Japanese made Mythos (red sidewalls), not the Korean or Taiwanese versions that use different rubber compounds. Mythos tires are directional and have different tread designs for the front and rear. They offer great value for riding in loose soil and on rock and are far above average in sand.

Weaknesses:    They suck up mud and hold onto it.

Bottom Line:
Mountain bike tires should be directional and have different tread designs front and rear. Steering, braking, cornering and providing motive force are too different to use one design for both.
Stick with the red sidewall version that is made in Japan! You can get them from Nashbar for $20 a piece. For that price you get a light tire that you can replace before they are completely worn out and enjoy a really great ride that hooks up nicely in the corners, descends like it is on rails, climbs well, and digs through sand with the paddle shaped nobs on the rear.

Favorite Trail:   Foothills

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Plain vanilla Specialized Epic Comp.

Submitted by Brambo a Weekend Warrior from Assen, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2004

Strengths:    Front tire has got lots of grip, especially when cornering. I've had not many flats. Compared to the WTB Nanoraptor (which I use in the summer) you can will feel more confident

Weaknesses:    Had some pinch flats on the rear tire (front 2.1, rear 1.95)

Bottom Line:
These tires are ok. They're light! This also means you cannot drive them with low pressure, this is not a big problem since the Sugar offers lots of traction. I would like to try the new Schwalbe Racing Ralph. They're a big hit here in Europe. Everyone is using them for all conditions! They look cool to. I'm afraid the 2.1 rear tire won't fit in the rear triangle of the Sugar because of its construction. The IRC's are good and look nice.

Similar Products Used:   Ritchie Z-Max, Ritchie Speed Max, WTB Nanoraptor

Bike Setup:   GF Sugar 1 (2001, L, Cane Creek AD 12), XTR (952SGS)RD, XT FD, Magura Martha, Magura O24U, Hügi 240, Mavic 317, Bontrager Crank with BBB chainrings, Selle Italia Flite Trans Am, some other Bontrager stuff, SRAM PC69 chain, XT cassette, XTR shifters, IRC Mythos XC 2.1 (F) and 1.95 (R)

Submitted by Tino a Weekend Warrior from Granada Hills, Ca.

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2003

Weaknesses:    The tire knobs tear off very easily.

Bottom Line:
Good tire but I'm going to try something else. There are only about 300 miles on these tires. Both the front and rears have big patches of missing rubber.

The grip I can't quite comment on since I'm a rookie and can't get near using these to their full potential but fwiw, I saw a huge improvement on the bike by just switching from the stock tires to these.

Yes, they are light. Yes, they are cheap. Will I buy them again? Nope.

I'll give them 3 chilis for the value since they wear out quickly.

Purchased At:   Cycle World - Reseda, Ca.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Tires which came stock on the 03' Specialized Epic.

Bike Setup:   03 Epic w/XTR upgrades and disc brakes. Using Stan's no tubes. <~~~~~~~GREAT PRODUCT!

Submitted by Dirk Diggler a Cross Country Rider from Middle of, California

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2003

Strengths:    a good roller on hardpack and the street. lightweight.

Weaknesses:    lugs tear off and erode EASILY...
not alot of rear traction in general, front seems to slide out quite a bit as well.

Bottom Line:
this tire is fairly picky about pressure. i've found the sweet spot for versatility to be just under 50psi.

i'm currently running the gamet on various tires now after a fairly long absence from the trail. from the last time i really paid attention to tires the panracer smoke and dart were the bees knees, still are in my book actually. anyway, i've rolled about 250 miles on these tires MAX and i am seeing lugs break off (and even a large patch of skin RIP off), NOT a good sign.

aside from my main concern (losing lugs) performance wise these tires rate slightly below , if not substantially below, average for all condition types (let's not get ridiculous for suggesting super slush and snow here).

tight singletrack- fast and fair, rear accelerates quickly but the front connection is sketchy, beware slideout.

downhill- good on the straight-a-ways, but doesn't leave me at all confident if there are any tight turns or dropoffs.

sand and loose singtrack- well, it cuts through, front can drive a decent line through loose stuff.

uphill- tight and technical , again, doesn't leave me with much, if any, confidence. left me dismounting and walking in hairy patches that other tires DO NOT.

overall - this tire isn't anything special, and at the price, they are decent. aside from quality and durability issues there is better out there to be had, and sometimes that's worth the extra money. on a walmart bike, these would be a asset, but blow a few grand on your ride and i see them as a liability.

Favorite Trail:   local stuff

Purchased At:   Pro Service Cyclery, Manteca

Similar Products Used:   other tires

Bike Setup:   2003 K2 Razorback, XTR blah blah

Submitted by Jim from Castle Rock, CO

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2003

Strengths:    Protects the rim

Weaknesses:    Very poor traction on the trails I ride. They don't hook up in anything loose, steep, on rocks, or waterbars.

Bottom Line:
The Mythos does not work for climbing. It just spins everywhere - hardpack, rocks, roots (wet or dry), anything loose. I rode with it a few times, became very discouraged and started thinking my skills had evaporated, then took it off and put on a Michelin XL. Wow! Suddenly I'm climbing everything again!

It wasn't worn very much and I hate to waste money, so I put it on the front. Kind of heavy for a front tire, though.

The best thing I did for my bike was remove this tire from the back and replace it. I have had really good experiences with Panaracer Smokes, but new favorite is the Michelin XL. $16 at Nashbar and they work great!

Favorite Trail:   Dakota Ridge

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer, Michelin, Specialized, etc

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Instinct

Submitted by trog a Cross Country Rider from san carlos

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2003

Strengths:    CHEAP, good performance

Weaknesses:    wear sort of fast

Bottom Line:
I don't get why these tires are so cheap. I ride damp hard back and light mud, and these suckers stick in the corners, warn you when you are about to break loose, and climb just fine. I'm on my third set of 2.1 Kevlars, and feel no need to go looking for anything else, especially if it costs more than the $14 a tire I can get these for. Does anyone know why these tire are always on sale?

Bike Setup:   C'dale F600, all XTR, with a Spin rear wheel about to take a crap

Submitted by Manuel Garcia a Weekend Warrior from Sintra

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap, durability, rear tire

Weaknesses:    Front tire grip

Bottom Line:
It's a cheap product that came stock on my Marin...
The front tire sucks...
If you already own them, put a Hutchinson Python or a Continental on front and keep the front Mythos at home, when the rear mythos wears out, put the front mythos on the back, it holds on just fine!
If you are planning on buying some, don't!
Go for Hutchinson Pythons!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson, Michelin, Continental

Bike Setup:   Marin XC, Psylo SL, Hutchinson Pytons (great!)

Submitted by fattirewilly a Cross Country Rider from GA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2002

Strengths:    Price/great all round grip

Weaknesses:    Durability Blows!!! Are you reading this IRC!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
Used these tires for 2 years. Loved the performance, however the duribility has become suspect. I bought a new pair and used them for 2 months. Busted side walls and missing knobbies front and back, which expose quarter size patches of thread, are not what I consider durable qualities.

Supposedly the black wall (cheap) version is made in Korea or something, and the red skin wall (durable) version is made in Japan. Buyer beware, I'm through with these.

3 chilis for good performance, -2 because there are better choices.

Bike Setup:   Kevlar bead, front & rear specific

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Hanover, NH

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2002

Strengths:    Low Rolling Resistance, great traction on corners and in loose stuff

Weaknesses:    Side Walls fray and fall apart very quickly.

Bottom Line:
I don't know what the deal is with the discrepancy between the MSRP and the actual price of these tires but I've never seen them anywhere for more than $20. This is strange to me. But, they do make my wheels feel fast, and they dig in and hook up in everything. The only problem is that you sort of have to replace them a lot (like twice a year). But because they're so cheap it's mainly just a drain on the environment and not on your wallet.

Favorite Trail:   The Blue Ribbon