Home | Reviews | Tire | IRC

IRC Mibro Tire

3.65/5 (23 Reviews)

Submitted by mcseforsale a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta area

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2011

Strengths:    Good grip in hard pack, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Weird feeling when laying them over in a corner.

Bottom Line:
IRC has been kicking a$$ here for years. Unfortunately, their marketing machine isn't nearly as good as their product. Sadly, I don't think these will be in the US very much longer. These tires have been on my bike for 4 years or so, with a lenghly time off (work and injuries kept me immobile for 16 months). When I got back on the bike, I figured I will need new tires. These have several hundred miles on them, are cracking and the sidewall markings are all but gone. But, woudn't you know it...a scoop of Stan's, some air and they are back at it. Grip is STILL excellent in climbing, braking and turning here on the Georgia groomed trails. I'm running the 2.25 up front and the 2.1 in the rear. Both have worn admirably (I'm not a skidder) and I'm very VERY satisfied with this purchase. For east coast mud/rocks/snot, I'd recommend the Serac XC, but for the groomed stuff in Metro Atlanta, these get a HUGE thumbs up.

Favorite Trail:   Cast Mountain, Ct.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Oh, geez..let's see. IRC Serac XC (favorite all time tire), IRC Mythos 1 and 2, WTB Mutano Raptor, WTB Moto Raptor, Fire XCs, Velociraptors, you name it.

Bike Setup:   '01 iDrive, Fox Vanilla R, Manitou Black Super Air 80 SPV, LX/XT mix, American Classic disc hubs/Wheelsmith DB14s/Mavic X317s running Stans, Maxm MX-6 Risers, Bontrager Race Lite post/Rocket V Gel saddle, Eggbeaters, Square-taper '04 Firex cranks (retro grouch), ODI Ruffians..all sub-28 lbs. Got almost 5K miles on her.

Submitted by cblandscape a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2010

Strengths:    dry perfromance, fast rolling, big volume, true 2.25, very light (for size), cornering

Weaknesses:    tracking, wet performance

Bottom Line:
I like this tire for dry conditions (although it's not bad in damp and wet). As opposed to the Kenda DTC approach, the Mibro has the soft compound in the centre and the hard stuff on the edge lugs. It works well in the knarly stuff, even with the open tread (as good or better than the Nevegal), hooks up very nicely in the corners. I've got the 2.25 and run at around 32 psi. Its a true size and big volume, but very light and fast rolling. Downside--tracking at speed, going really fast down something loose, it's pretty squirrelly. Open tread, no dedicated center blocks, and soft tread, makes for constant corrections. Here the Nevegal really shines in comparison--major difference.

Looks like IRC has withdrawn to the Japanese market--too bad for us.

Favorite Trail:   WCC Trails

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   IRC Trailbear, Panaracer Cinder, Kenda Karma, Nevegal & Small Block 8

Bike Setup:   Norco Faze 1

Submitted by Vivien a Cross Country Rider from Edinburgh,Scotland, UK

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2010

Strengths:    Light, fast rolling and ok as long as you have not gone past 1/3 of wear

Weaknesses:    As soon as it starts wearing out, the rear tyre does not have a single bit of traction left

Bottom Line:
Extremely light and rolls fast. Cheap for Kevlars. Kevlars take it all. Perfect with latex tubes.
Once they start to wear (1/3 of the knobs) they become extremely skiddy and can't even handle our local trails on a dewy morning ride. In 300 miles of trail use they changed from good funny tyres to appaling skiddy things. Don't last much.
Just get some better tyres (nobby nic's, etc...), pay more and you won't have to pay the earth for when they'll have you crash nastily.

Despite all this IRC is not selling their all-mountain's any more- these were really amazing tyres you could ride at 1 bar on techy downhills and trails with amazing traction!

Favorite Trail:   Pentlands techy trails

Purchased At:   chainreactioncycles

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis minions tyres (winter) , Micheling wild gripper tyres, WTB's velociraptors (wife) , IRC all mountain's

Bike Setup:   Klein palomino team 03 with all the upgrades (monolink, maverick shock, road front mech and hanger), XTR dual levers , XTR brake rear, Saint on the front,XT rear mech with CNC'd jockeys, SID teams 2010, FSA pro team cranks.

Submitted by Berkley a Cross Country Rider from Upstate, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap. Light, two 2.25s averaged 600g on my scale. My pair of 1.95s were under 500g each. Supple - soft rubber compound makes for a pretty smooth ride and gives gobs of traction. Fairly true to size. High volume, fast rolling.

Weaknesses:    Sticky/superslick mud is the death of this tire. Similarly, very wet conditions don't do much for it. They wear fast. That's what you get with a soft rubber compound. Short knob height.

Bottom Line:
I've had three sets of these tires, and never really been disappointed. They're a good all around tire for rocky, rooty trails. I run ~20PSI with tubes and rarely pinch flat. My only wish is that the knobs were a little taller and they made a slightly wider tire (like a 2.35). The knobs are short to begin with and when they wear, they're really short. They hook up surprisingly well though.

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC Pros, Rampages
WTB Moto Raptors
Specialized Resolutions, Enduros

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper/Hardrock.

Easton AM Havocs, with tubes.

Submitted by casamtb a Cross Country Rider from ohio

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2009

Strengths:    Light, low rolling resistance, versatile.

Weaknesses:    Tread not deep enough to hook up well on wet climbs.

Bottom Line:
I didn't like these tires at first. Then I realized the more I rode them, the more I liked them. They are light and hook up well in just about everything, with the exception of wet rocky and rooty climbs. I believe these tires would be perfect if the tread was 1/8 deeper. Bite well in hard and soft terrain alike but they really impressed me with winter riding. Sidewall is strong and large volume allow to drop pressure to 20psi in snow and traction is unbelievable.

Favorite Trail:   Mohican State Park

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal, Specialized Resolution, Specialized Enduro, IRC Trailbear, Maxxis Crossmark

Bike Setup:   '06 Cannondale F800

Submitted by debusama a Cross Country Rider from Spokane, Wa, USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2009

Strengths:    Good cornering and traction in dry conditions, even loose gravel and moderate sand (no tire I’ve used does great in the sand)

Weaknesses:    Somewhat slippery when wet.

Bottom Line:

I run the 2.25” only in front with a Serac 2.1 in back. It isn’t huge, but the 2.25 is a significant increase in volume over a 2.1” tire. For the late summer dry/loose terrain, these tires are a huge improvement over any fast-rolling, sub-600g tire I’ve ever used. I’d swear I was using more of an all mountain type tire with the traction I was getting, but when I pedal or coast down a hill it’s obvious I’m using a much lighter/faster tire. Despite the fact that it has been mostly dry lately, I did have the opportunity to ride in a light rain a few days ago. Things really never got muddy, but the tire did fine with the moist dirt. When I hit a few rock gardens, however, I was surprised by how many times my front tire slid off the sides of rocks that I expected it to grip and roll over.

Although this tire is not great in wet conditions, I still think it’s a great tire. If you want a tire that does well in all conditions, it will cost you a few more dollars, a few hundred grams and a lot of rolling resistance.

Favorite Trail:   Riverside state park

Purchased At:   Price point

Similar Products Used:   Karma, Nevegal, Blue grove, Mythos, Serac, Motoraptors, Smoke/dart.

Bike Setup:   short-travel FS

Submitted by madtowner11 a Weekend Warrior from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2009

Strengths:    Perfect tire on your first or second ride

Weaknesses:    After your first or second ride they look like they went through a cheese graiter

Bottom Line:
I purchased these because they were cheap. I had ridden on the Nevegal UST for the past few seasons and they finally started to start looking a little bald. Nevegal UST's are a little pricey right now so I went with a cheap UST tire. Well, you get what you pay for. After 3 rides I lost a knobby and I'm probably just a sharp rock away from getting my first UST flat out on the trail. For the first few rides they were seriously a very awesome tire. Looking at them now, though, and noticing that once they wear so quickly the lose a little grip, I'll never buy another Mibro. I've gone through a few IRC Serac UST's in the front, but they didn't wear NEARLY as quickly as the Mibro in the back. I'd say only buy this tire if it's on sale for $10 and you only plan on riding it twice.

Favorite Trail:   Crested Butte

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   For the 1 or 2 rides before their unbelievably quick wear and tear starts to show, they handle very similarly to a Kenda Nevegal UST

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar 2+ with the Mibro in the back on some sweet Mavic UST rims.

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Kelowna, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent grip and control in loose dry stuff. Lightweight all mountain capable tire, 2.1s are only 520 grams.

Weaknesses:    none yet. possibly wear?

Bottom Line:
I ride a cross country bike, but the trails here are more all mountain; most people here ride trail or all mountain bikes. I wanted to get the grip but keep it light, and these tires have exceeded my expectations at 520grams for 2.1 inch . I went from panaracer duster ii to this tire and the difference is night and day. The climbs result in better grip but its the descents that I notice the most difference. I can brake even in loose stuff without feeling like im going to lose control. I am riding with a lot more confidence. Instantly made me a better rider; and I really needed to get better. I got a set of mine for 34$. Can't go wrong. (I have only tried this tire in dry conditions).

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Bike Setup:   Proflex 2000.

Submitted by Pete a Cross Country Rider from Hythe, Kent, UK

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2009

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Almost no grip at all. Downhill the front tyre doesn't send the bike where you point it. Uphill (unless in desert conditions) the back tyre just spins hopelessly. They are not particularly light. Just pray you don't hit any wet grass!

Bottom Line:
The only reason you should own these is if they came with your new bike. Only ride a bike fitted with them if you have a death wish!

Favorite Trail:   ClimachX

Purchased At:   Came fitted on my Ro

Similar Products Used:   WTB Velociraptor, WTB MotoRaptor, Panaracer Fire XC, Panaracer Trailraker (for when it gets really muddy!)

Bike Setup:   Upgraded Rocky Mountain ESTX-30 - Talas forks, XT throughout with Mavic XC717 Rims.

Submitted by marioribeiro a Weekend Warrior from Lisboa, Portugal

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2009

Strengths:    Very fast rolling for a 2.25 tire. Lots of grip and confortable.

Weaknesses:    I heard about durability of rear tire on hard pack, but I am waiting to see. Nothing else found.

Bottom Line:
Great tire. I wasn`t very happy with Maxxis CrossMark 2.1 on my Maverick Durance with Fox 140mm Fork, so an All Mountain setup. Since I mounted last week the IRC Mibro 2.25 Tubless the handling changed dramaticaly. I was worried about rolling of 2.25 size, but they are fantastic rolling, lots of grip and confortable.
No I can take much more fun and advantage of my amazing Maverick Durance.

Favorite Trail:   Sintra

Purchased At:   Avalanche - Lisboa

Similar Products Used:   Tioga Blue Dragon 2.1

Bike Setup:   Maverick Durance with Fox Float 140mm RL

Submitted by dan_g a Cross Country Rider from SLC, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2008

Strengths:    Good grip on dry, loose. Decent over rocks if run at lower pressure (as usual)

Weaknesses:    Seems to be wearing out fast. Slippery over rocks if high pressure.

Bottom Line:
Seems like a decent tire for the money. Rolls better than the Weirwolf while offering similar loose-terrain grip.

Similar Products Used:   WTB Weirwolf

Bike Setup:   Rocky mountain ETS-X

Submitted by dontpanic a Cross Country Rider from Maryland

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2008

Strengths:    Not sure. Didn't care much for them.

Weaknesses:    Floaty feeling in tight turns on dry hardpack, Awful in wet conditions.

Bottom Line:
As a front tire, these didn't track real well. They seemed to float in tight turns on dry trails, and in the wet, they just plain slide out. Also hit a couple wet logs at angles, and the front end slid right out from under me.

As a rear tire, not much better, although it did do OK in the dry stuff. In the wet though, forget it. Zero traction. I looked down at one point to see a slick, brown, mud-ring instead of a tire. Not only no traction, but it must have weighed 20 pounds.

So I only got about 25 miles on these tires before I called it quits. I put a Kenda Nevegal Stick-e on the front, and a WTB Velociraptor on the back. This combo seems to work way better in the dry, but I haven't tried it in the wet yet. I have used the Velociraptor on my other bike in the mud, and it seemed to do well, so that's why I chose it. The Nevegal decision was based on reviews here, and just that you see it standard on so many mid to high end bikes.

Seems kind of weird to me that folks use the same tire front and back, even if you do reverse it. They are doing 2 totally different things. I know it's not easy, but I would like to see more tires made strictly for use on one wheel or the other. I'm no expert, just making an observation.

2 chilis because the tire is not horrible as a rear in the dry.

Favorite Trail:   Loch Raven