Home | Reviews | Tire | IRC

IRC Backcountry Tire

3.21/5 (43 Reviews)

There are no tech support vans in the wilderness. No factory mechanics with Park™ stands waiting trailside, holding a cone wrench in one hand and delivering a thumbs up with the other. There is only the simple truth that you’re on your own. Unless you’re equipped with IRC Backcountry dual sport specific tires. High volume, big knobbed tires with small knobs creatively placed between to prevent flats. The ultimate tire for truly epic rides. Click on the image to the left for an enlarged photo showing tread detail and related product specifications.

Submitted by MArtin GC a Cross Country Rider from Mexico

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2009

Strengths:    good tracking, better in wet and mud conditions

Weaknesses:    heavy for a long climbs

Bottom Line:
great track in downhill, I used frecuently in the rain season, meabe a little heavy than my specialized 2.0, but I like how it handle in rocks and a lot of mud, I recomend it but not for dry conditions, they goes fast..! more in paviment

Favorite Trail:   Nevado Vulcano

Purchased At:   Riders ajusco

Similar Products Used:   Specialized

Bike Setup:   Specialized M4 XC, Marzocchi 44, deore, Lx & xt

Submitted by VooDooGuy a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2007

Strengths:    They have rubber on them- well almost everywhere.

Weaknesses:    Chunks of rubber gone. Kevlar is exposed; now I understand why I've been bailing, been using it on the front; terrible on the corners, especially fast turns and baby head laden downhills.

Bottom Line:
Tires are dry and very unpredictable on the trail. I thought shortening my stem would help, and it did, but still poor around the turns. Don't even think of sand with these... Looking for something that can inch up my confidence by grabbing when they should and meeting the needs around the turns. Would not get them again regardless of how good the deal might be.

Favorite Trail:   That a way

Purchased At:   gift

Similar Products Used:   what ever was stock on the VooDoo; IRC Piranha Pro on the rear (chunks missing)

Bike Setup:   Bizango XT,

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Rolla, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2007

Strengths:    Cheap, wide, foldable.

Weaknesses:    I've gotten many pinch flats with these, that is until I amped up my PSI quite a bit, problem solved. Worst of all is that they corner TERRIBLY! They are very sloppy on hard packed dirt, not good on catwalks either.

Bottom Line:
Not the best tire i've ever used. I would probably not recomend.

Favorite Trail:   Chub

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Diamodback Apex coverted to SS, Kona Project 2 fork.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Murfreesboro, TN

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2006

Strengths:    Decent all-around rear tire, nothing catastrophically wrong with it. Fairly light for its size.

Weaknesses:    It's only decent....nothing more.

Bottom Line:
This is a decent all-around tire for an all-mountain setup. Tire compound is very hard and dry, so it doesn't grip as well as stickier tires. I would recommend getting an IRC Trailbear, it is supposedly a newer version of this tire, although slightly heavier.

Favorite Trail:   Snook's Nose (Black Mountain)

Purchased At:   30.00

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos (not so good), IRC EL Gato (great traction, heavy), Fire XC (great so far!)

Bike Setup:   2003 Jamis Dakar Expert

Submitted by Jay a Weekend Warrior from Broomfield, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2006

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Grip, durability

Bottom Line:
I couldn't run these tires below 50 psi or I would get a pinch flat, I'm 165 lbs!? I tried a variety of different air pressures and it just wouldn't grip the dry trail on uphill climbs. After the first ride, all of the knobs had huge chunks out of them where it tried to grip but the rubber just came off. Yesterday was my 7th ride on them and a knob ripped all the way off leaving a big hole. I'm glad I finally get to replace it. I think anything would be an upgrade, but I'm going back to the Continental Vertical Pro. It may cost an extra $20, but instead of lasting 3 weeks it will last over a year and won't spin out when I try to climb over obstacles.

Favorite Trail:   Apex Park/Enchanted Forest

Purchased At:   Joe's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Continental Vertical Pro, Michelin

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 90

Submitted by Big Daddy a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap, light, dependable

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is: This tire does everything well...but nothing exceptionally. Kind of the same way my bike climbs better than a downhill bike, and downhills better than a hard tail.

This has been a perfect tire for the kind of riding I do (3-6 hour epics in far from civilization on every kind of terrain) and it has never failed me in thousands of miles of use. Mud, snow, ice, dry, hardpack, loose, whatever. It works well on all of them.

Purchased At:   Performance?

Bike Setup:   4" travel full suspension

Submitted by Chad a Weekend Warrior from Overland Park, Kansas, US

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap!!!! Works as an excellent back tire. Hooks up great on roots and rocky climbs and good braking traction on the way down.

Weaknesses:    Brakes loose into turns without warning. Dangerous as a front tire on hard pack.

Bottom Line:
This is a great tire when used as a rear tire. The tread seems to wear well and sheds mud well. I'm sure it would wear quickly on pavement due to the large tread blocks. Have found them to run best around 35 psi. for hard pack and loose rocky situations. Does not inspire confidense to go hard into a turn. A Trail Bear would run better for a front tire than these. A fine rear tire for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Anything dry enough to ride.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos

Bike Setup:   Azonic DS1, Rock Shox Psylo, Raceface, XT, Hayes, and Sun Rynolite

Submitted by iain a Weekend Warrior from melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2004

Strengths:    I bought the 2.25 version of these and I like this tyre no matter what else anyone says about it it grips good on anything but wet rocks and its light, oh and cheap.

Weaknesses:    I suppose the sidewalls could be a bit thicker and it could be a bit wider.

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is that i like these tyres, they grip good in all dirt even when screamin down hills and they brake good so I say these tires are great!!!

Favorite Trail:   anything with hills and dirt

Purchased At:   bicycle recyclers

Similar Products Used:   maxxis high roller( didnt like much), Tioga Factory DH (awesome!!!!), lots more

Bike Setup:   Haro V0 it is mostly stock but im going to change al the parts to make it better

Submitted by Luc a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2004

Strengths:    Relatively lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Everything. Slips on the smallest of rocks.

Bottom Line:
This tire is garbage. I'm just getting back into the sport after a few years off and I recently made a move from the soil, peat moss covered trails of beautiful vermont to the mostly limestone laden trails of central texas. I purchased my fisher with these tires stock and lost all confidence. These things slip on even tiny rocks no matter what the pressure is (although running them at 30psi is a must).

I switched them out with panaracer XC 2.1 Fire's and the bike is like a different bike.

Dump these if you have them. They might be suitable if you're doing a morning commute to work, but that is about it!

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Norris, Vermont

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer XC Fire 2.1

Bike Setup:   2003 Fisher Suger 2+

Submitted by Randog a Cross Country Rider from Little Italian island

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap! Picked two of them up with a set of wheels on Ebay.

Weaknesses:    Knobs chew easily on blacktop to and from trailhead.

Bottom Line:
Not a bad tire for the price. Picked them up as spares since I have no local shop. Put over 300 miles with tire on the rear and it has performed ok. Paired up with Velociraptor on front, it is reasonably predictable in the hardpack and sand in my area. Holds well on rock and climbs well with pressure around 36-38 psi. Doesn't seem like it will last much longer as the blacktop to the trailhead is consuming it, so new Motoraptors 2.4's are next. If you need a tire just to putt around on, they are a great choice. If you like to defy gravity on a regular basis and like speed, look elsewhere.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   WTB Velociraptors, Motoraptors

Bike Setup:   XT, Race Face, WTB, RhinoLites

Submitted by dirtdober a Cross Country Rider from thomaston,tx

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2004

Strengths:    they hold air

Weaknesses:    wash out on every turn

Bottom Line:
these tires are dangerous. the knobs are too small and too far apart to hook up on anything. they wash out on every sandy corner. i know all tires have their weakness but these made me scared to take any corner with speed. i began to think i had bought the wrong bike until i switched them out with my old mythos. i didn't go to the emergency room but i did walk with a limp for a few days.

Favorite Trail:   rocky hill(tx),three sisters(co)

Purchased At:   discovery cycles(austin)

Similar Products Used:   irc mythos

Bike Setup:   '03 sugar 3+ irc mythos,time atac, wtb laser v

Submitted by Rob P. a Weekend Warrior from Greenland, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2003

Strengths:    Wide enough, rust sidewall, Grippy(as BAck tire)

Weaknesses:    None as a backtire, i wouldnt reccomend it as a front.. wears fast

Bottom Line:
Kick ass BAck tire, not front. Grips aweosme, looks good, not strong or wide enough for downhill, to havey for XC, perfect for us folks who do a little of everything.

Favorite Trail:   Single track down Garison hill

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Mythos XC

Bike Setup:   CHris king Hub, Mawri Titanium spokes, Mavic 3.1 Tubeless disc specific rim

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from S. Cal

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2003

Strengths:    Looks beefy

Weaknesses:    very poor handling

Bottom Line:
Totally agree with the previous review. the difference is: I DID go into the emergency room! Front tire "slip" over a babyhead rock and cost me a dislocated elbow.

I didn't feel confident at all since the first day, but I tried to adjust the handle bar and cockpit instead, now I relized how much the tire can affect your ride and safety.

really loose on single track, rocky section, and sand. Even the cheapest Mathos can do way better than that. Dangerous tire!!!

Purchased At:   come with bike