Home | Reviews | Tire | Intense

Intense System 2 Tire

3.47/5 (17 Reviews)

Intense MTB System 2 is a versatile XC tyre capable of performing in mixed conditions. The continuous row of center knobs provide very low rolling resistance while the side knobs offer plenty of bite when leaning the bike hard. 468g.

Submitted by motormonkeyr6 a Downhiller from California

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2011

Strengths:    Rolls absurdly fast!

Weaknesses:    Goesnt grip soaked roots that well.

Bottom Line:
I have been running this tire off and on for close to TWO years. On every kind of bike, hardtail xc to full on 8" travel DH bike. From dry hard pack to loamy Santa Cruz trails to a slushy mud fest! I have really enjoyed this tire. Great tread wear. Still has plenty of tread after 2 years of hard abuse.

Would buy again for sure!

Similar Products Used:   Small Block 8, Python

Bike Setup:   2010 Blur LT2

Submitted by smithrock76 a Downhiller from Redmond, Or, usa

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2011

Strengths:    Price, Durable, good grip, ran true, mounted easy

Weaknesses:    I haven't really found any.

Bottom Line:
My first ride with these tires was about 25 miles in about every type of weather possible. It started dry, Hailed the size off tic tacs, Snowed (1/4 inch on ground), and rained. I was really impressed with the tires and The weight isn't any big deal if your not a weenie. There isn't a tire that works perfect in everything but these worked very well. I have about 70 unkind miles on them without a glitch. I'm gunna buy the System 4's next.

Purchased At:   Jensen

Similar Products Used:   Geax AKA, Maxxis Crossmarks, Kenda Nevegals, Conti Trail Kings

Bike Setup:   Jamis Parker, Rock Shox Pike, Sram X0 shifter and der, Sun Ringle Charger Pro wheel set, Hayes Prime Pro Brakes, Answer ProTaper 720 AM bars.

Submitted by DNav1 a Weekend Warrior from Central Coast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2010

Strengths:    rolls... but poorly..looks nice

Weaknesses:    fell apart. DANGEROUS

Bottom Line:
From the get go I could never seem to mount these straight (as if the bead wouldn't seat properly). I got 100 miles or so of road to dirt road (wobbly) riding and on my way home my rear tire developed a nice bubble/ bump. Got home and realized that the tube nearly popped through the casing, so I put my old Conti on and left the wobbly system 2 on front. today I went to check the air on my front and yup you guessed it the front did the same thing!!!! Don't waste your money!!! I have yet to call customer service but from previous posts it sounds like just a waste of time. Oh yeah...I rode today on old tires Conti & Tioga. I was meeting my buddy to ride so I did a 3-4 min. tire swap and my old used tire mounted up perfectly straight without any problems.

Favorite Trail:   dirt road

Purchased At:   sposered racer

Similar Products Used:   u name it

Bike Setup:   dirt road hard tail

Submitted by airman a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2009

Strengths:    Fast rolling

Weaknesses:    Very poor quality tire. Heavy for its size. Hard to mount because of tight tire bead

Bottom Line:
Fast rolling tire suited to dry hardpack only. Good for racing but a hand full in anything loose. These tires are really poor quality. I bought 2 and one had such a WOW in it I had to scrap it! That tire shouldn't even make it out of the factory. If you buy these, get them somewhere that you can return them because they're hit and miss on quality.

Similar Products Used:   Pythons, Ralphs, Twisters, Raven, Crow

Bike Setup:   Intense Spider

Submitted by Mike a Racer from St. Catharines , Canada

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2007

Strengths:    Great in hardpack conditions, corners like the ads say "your on rails"

Weaknesses:    None so far... haven't used them long enough to decide if there is premature wear but after 300miles I'm still very happy.

Bottom Line:
If your using them for hardpack dry conditions by all means buy these puppies you won't be sorry. 4 Flamin' Chilis only because they are a tad heavy, a minor quip considering the many times this tire has saved my butt!

Favorite Trail:   12 Mile Creek

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   To many to list...

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Epert

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Peoria, IL

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2005

Strengths:    Great fast rolling tire for hard pack conditions. Great confidence inspiring traction with cornering and climbing in dry conditions.

Weaknesses:    Not good in loose conditions or mud. That's not what it is intended for anyway, so it's not necessarily a fault of the tire.

Bottom Line:
This tire is a great for cross country use in dry conditions. It is as fast as Hutchinson Pythons but corners and climbs much better. The System 2 tires have larger, more aggressive side knobs than the pythons and this definetly helps them grab in the corners.

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Pythons

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS

Submitted by Tony Senger a Weekend Warrior from New Berlin, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2004

Strengths:    smooooooth rolling on smooth/dry paths, wicked sticky on ruts and rocks (especially considering the small knobs), good float with 2.1's and Stan's No-Tubes

Weaknesses:    Bad, Bad, Bad in the wet and slop. They loose 1/2 their normal traction on wet obsticles and pack up faster and tighter than anything! Side walls are VERY pourous making Stans No-Tubes and pain in the *ss to install!

Bottom Line:
For the money, I'm not all that happy. The side wall quality is durable and strong, but had terrible problems with sealing the No-Tubes. Yes, they are intended for tubes, but ALL of the other tires I've used were way better than this!

Traction in good conditions is darn good, and they do roll sweet... But dang-it if your ride doesn't turn into a psycho-mama when you hit any wet or muddy!

I don't think I'd buy these again...

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Moraine South (all)

Purchased At:   on-line store

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Revolt Super-X, WTB Raptors, Maxxis ???

Bike Setup:   Tomac 78-Special, Avid Mechanical Discs, SRAM 9.0SL (full), etc.

Submitted by Andrew a Racer from Austin

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2004

Strengths:    Fast rolling, easy Stan's conversion, relatively light, great for use intended.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I tried these out for a couple of weeks on my Stan's wheelset. They inflated with no problem and held air very well (a big plus with Stan's). I raced them last weekend and won (expert). Even though the knobe are relatively small they hold well. When they break free in a turn the slide is very predictable and easy to control. I'll re-post after further testing.

Purchased At:   40

Similar Products Used:   Pythons, Karmas, Wildgrippers

Bike Setup:   Truth, XTR, Stan's Wheels, Fox 100X

Submitted by Deke a Weekend Warrior from Aurora CO

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I'm having a similiar experience as Bob below. I bought a pair of tires 6 mos. ago. One developed a defect in the casing so I obtained an RA # and sent it back after being told a replacement would be sent right away. 3 wks. later - nothing. Called back....blah, blah we'll get one right to you. 3 wks later - nothing. Called 4th time..me: look, I'm getting the run-around....them: sorry, we're really out of that tire. Called 5th time, another 2 mos. later...yeah we're still out of that tire. I guess the problem is: there is no ATTEMPT at customer service, y'know, just ignore 'em & maybe they'll go away. Well after I get what I'm owed from them, I'll spend my tire budget elsewhere. Bob...did they EVER get a replacement to you? Now I've got $2300 burning a hole in my pocket because I finally saved up for the bike I wanted - Uzzi SLX - but after this crap I'm not spending ANY more of my hard earned money on Intense products. Later.

Submitted by Trevor a Racer from Pleasant View, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2003

Strengths:    Fast, good cornering.

Weaknesses:    Not very good in sandy conditions.

Bottom Line:
Some of the fastest rolling tires I have used. I don't know why other people have had problems using stans. Next to Continental tires I think these are the easiest tires to use stan in. I can go a week without having to put more air in them. The only gripe I have with these tires is one tire has a very slight snake in it. I am real picky about stuff link that. Other than that these are my favorite tires to run.

Favorite Trail:   Mueller Park

Purchased At:   Bingham Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Most spec tires, contis, maxxis TTs

Bike Setup:   Spec Epic, Crossmax SL, SRAM X.0, XTR Front Der, XTR Cassette, truvativ ti BB, FSA carbon cranks, Eggbeaters, FOX RLT fork, Thompson post, Spec s-works ti saddle, answer carbon bars,

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Henderson, NV

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2003

Strengths:    Good traction

Weaknesses:    Too porous for use with Stan's; Very poor quality control; poor customer service

Bottom Line:
Ordered a System 2 from Supergo. Got a System 1. Sent it back, asked them to ship a System 2 PRONTO so I could use it in an upcoming race. As insurance, I ordered another System 2 from Universal Cycles, with overnight delivery. The Supergo tire showed up, the Universal Cycle tire didn't, even though I paid $19.00 for overnight delivery (they eventually credited me the shipping cost).

I mounted the first tire I got and filled it with Stan's sealant. The sidewalls and tread area were so full of holes it wouldn't hold more than 35psi without sealant oozing out everywhere. I raced on it and it worked well, but I wouldn't want to go on a long ride with it.

I mounted the second tire (from Universal Cycles)with a tube. 1/2 mile into my first ride with it, it was rubbing on my brake. The tire looked like it had a bad bead, and had about 3/4" of axial runout. Going around corners was scary. It finally blew off of my rim.

I called Intense, they said send back both of them. A week later, I got a package. One System 2, one System 4. I called Nick at Intense, who said they didn't have any more System 2's, so he sent a System 4 which is a big monster 745gram tire. I had no use for that. He told me he'd round up a System 2 and give me a call back later that day. That was 3 days ago...

The leaky tire worked pretty good, but not good enough to use with Stan's. The other one was just plain garbage. Back to Pythons for me.

Purchased At:   Supergo/Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Plenty

Bike Setup:   Superlight/XT

Submitted by Sam a Racer from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Strengths:    Great racing tire. Low rolling resistance and tracks incredibly well. Worked great in the mud at a recent Winter Park Race (circuit one). Saved my Behind after wet&muddy XTR Vbrakes just about ran me into a tree at mach 2.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
These tires are awesome! Buy them if you want to go fast in just about any condidition. I'll save these tires for racing though.

Read: Train on a heavier more durable tire and race with these puppies and you'll be double-happy family.

Intense: Thanks for saving my A!# from running into a tree!

Favorite Trail:   porc rim

Purchased At:   Excel Sports

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey ZED's, Conti Twister Pros, Intense cc 2.25's (see my review for these also)

Bike Setup:   SWorks M5 FSR

Submitted by Victor a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Strengths:    See below

Weaknesses:    Poor durability. Only lasted ~175 miles.

Bottom Line:
I have to downgrade my prior review of this tire. I was pretty enthusiastic about these when I first tried them but only about 175 miles later the rear tire is trashed. The tire is splitting lengthwise along the center of the tread, about 8 inches long. The threads are visible between the short knobs, the tire is bulging out along the split, and it's way out of round. This is unsafe. The tires did ride and grip well when new but I expected these to last much longer. I'm giving 1's to offset the 5's I gave in my prior review.

Similar Products Used:   See below

Bike Setup:   See below

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Thousands Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2003

Strengths:    Good roll resistance; these tires seem to handle higher pressures than other tires I have owned; great grip on anything hard that is not loose; Good side wall support.

Weaknesses:    The worst tires I have ever used in anything soft; After ~ 50 miles there is noticable wear. Given that there is very little tread to begin with, this is not good. Not a good all around tire.

Bottom Line:
Not worth the money. Compared to Hutchinson Pythons (which are very similiar) the System 2 tires do not come close. The HP's grip better in all cases, have a slightly higher air volume, wear longer and are much lighter. In slick rock conditions without any sand, they grip great. But other thn on the road, where does this exist.

Favorite Trail:   any technical single track

Purchased At:   40

Similar Products Used:   Many many... Hutch Pythons, Conti Explorer & Verticle, Maxxis Mobster, WTB, Michelin Wild Gripper

Bike Setup:   Tracer, Marz Marathon S, Aeroheat wheels w/ King hubs, XTR

Submitted by Victor a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2003

Strengths:    Super fast rolling, light enough, great on most surfaces

Weaknesses:    A bit pricy at $40 per

Bottom Line:
This tire hooks up on most surfaces. It does have a really large volume for a 2.0 tire. Here's what I think:
Hardpack: excellent grip and low rolling resistance
Soft conditions: decent grip
Mud: not too good but this isn't a mud tire

I really like these tires, they're just a bit expensive and none of the retailers I tried stock them. They grip better than Conti Explorers and roll much faster. Hopefully I'll get lots of miles out of these. I'm going to do a Stan's Tubeless kit with these soon.

Favorite Trail:   Auburn area, Bullard's Bar, South Yuba

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles mail order

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC Pros, Continental Explorer Protection, Hutch Mosquito, Bontrager ST2

Bike Setup:   2002 Stumpjumper FSR with Marz Marathon fork

Sidi Dragon 3 techno 2 system repair

Hello. As stated in topic. Techno 2 system will no longer hold tension. I have a new set. I have followed instructions that come with packaging but I've hit an obstacle. There is a pin that you have to remove to release tab thingy before I go to the next stage in releasing the techno system off t ... Read More »

Locks for bikes and 1UP two bike 2 in system

I just ordered the 1UP and was shopping for locks...interesting though on the 1 Up site for the one bike video it eludes to getting two security devices? did I hear that right?? Would I get those? Probably not since they did not ask what devices I wanted so....I have looked at some double loop C ... Read More »

Problem solved...2011 Rockshox Lyrik R- 2-Step Air System Re-assembly Problem

Just wondering if anyone knows how to put a 2011 Rockshox Lyrik R 2-Step Air system back together? Lowers and rebound are no problem. Just can't get the 2-step system to work properly after rebuild and Rockshox support is confusing. Thanks.Read More »

Debauchery at Davis 2 - Plantation Trail system

On our Saturday ride we had 3 guests from the River Valley Mountain Bike club from back in ODN’s turf join us. A quick stop here [IMG]http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd66/CraigCreekRider/Canaan%20Valley/Plantation%20Trails/DSC00659.jpg[/IMG] Then it was off to the trails. We started on STP tr ... Read More »

Converted 2011 S-works 29r 2*10 to 3*10 system

[B]Converting Specialised SRAM 2*10 to 3*10 on a 29er[/B] The following is how I converted a 2011 Specialized S-Works 29er 2*10 to a 3*10. This procedure changes the 29er gearing to that of a 26er for cadence*speed so you have the same overall gearing as a 26er. ([URL="members.westnet.com.au/bancro ... Read More »