Home | Reviews | Tire | Intense

Weight : 1150 grams

• S50 Sticky Rubber Compound
  • 2 Ply 36 TPI Casing
  • Folding Bead

Submitted by mtnridermike a Downhiller from South Lake Tahoe, Ca.

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2010

Strengths:    Awesome 2ply tire that works great on roots and granite with the StickE Compound, hooks up well in the loose sand and soft ground we have up here in the Tahoe area. I run this 2.5 tire on the front and the
Intense Fro Lite 909 26" 2ply 2.5 Tire on the back, like the way they perform on the downhill trails here!

Weaknesses:    Wears fast on hard surface and a lot of resistance in the flat areas.

Bottom Line:
Great Downhill tires I would recommend them to any downhill riders! Don't expect to use these for XC or All-Mountain use to much resistance.

Favorite Trail:   Armstrong Connect to Corral Trail, a.k.a. Oneidas

Purchased At:   JensonUsa.com

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal Tire

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse SGS

Submitted by andykrow a Downhiller from FoCo, CO

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2009

Strengths:    Great traction, great wear, great weight, great price. Intense's "sticky rubber" is a good balance between wear and traction. No pinch flats ever, and I weigh 185, ride a 40 pound bike, and run 25/35 front/rear pressure.

Bottom Line:
I have these on my 40 pound freeride bike, it's the only mountain bike I own and it pretty much gets climbed as much as downhilled. Anyway I wore out my rear high roller and figured these were SO cheap I would try more. Especially since I love the 909 on the front. Anyway I mounted it up and first climb was actually pretty slow. This is a big tire and rolls slower than the minion. A couple rides and I was noticing my front tire seemed to be slipping out more easily than the back. So I switched the 909 to the rear and am now running the DH in the front - pure magic! At least for front range gravelly/sandy stuff. The DH definitely has more traction than the 909 on Colorado, and made this bike a cornering beast. The 909 in the rear slides out predictably and the front won't let go. This is making counter-steering easier than ever.

Also of note - I'm running 2.5's and they are easily as big as maxxis 2.7's. I'm planning on running a 2.35 out back when I need another. Also the DH seems slightly bigger than the 909 for the same size.

Favorite Trail:   daddy

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   All kinds of stuff...but lately Minion DHF, 909 fro lite, high roller

Bike Setup:   Brodie thumper, dhx5.0, 66light, 729 wheels, heavy freeride bike...

Submitted by Ricardo from AZ

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2008

Strengths:    Strong casings - no sidewall tears, even in extremely rocky DH race setting. Good rolling resistance. Excellent bead. Good weight for a 2-ply tire as tough as it is!

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
FRO DH Lite front / FRO Edge rear

I like these a lot! Single sidewalls are worthless for me, even on an AM bike. I've worn out at least a dozen sets of 1300+ gram 2-ply DH tires in the last few years. Every "promising" lighter tire has ripped in the first few weeks of use.

Not so with these Intense tires! They're holding up as well as my "old stanby" Maxxis DH tires which weigh 200-300 grams more.

I'm runnin these TUBELESS with UST rims, WITHOUT a rim strip!!! Never have they burped, and I run them @ no more than 22psi (I'm ~ 180 w/ armor).

One of the best aspects of these tire is the low rolling resistance.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Minion DH & Mobster DH - worn out many sets over the years! Nevegal DH - worn out a few... and a bunch of UST & single wall tires...

Bike Setup:   These are on 35lb heavy 6x6 am bike - everything from double black @ resorts to 30 mile am rides.

Submitted by Disappointed a Downhiller from Canada

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2007

Strengths:    They will make you a better tire changer.

Weaknesses:    See below...

Bottom Line:
You will pinch flat every second run if you are lucky, every run if not. Stay away from the FRO Lites... Maybe the 4-ply regualr FRO's will be better?

Favorite Trail:   Any