Home | Reviews | Tire | Intense

Intense 2.10 and 2.25 CC Tire

3.14/5 (37 Reviews)
Weight : 600 grams (Kevlar)

Open knob enduro/freeride tire is great for all around riding and smokin' your friends on the local loop.
  • Agressive side knobs arc the turns
  • Braking knobs give control
  • Titanium grey sidewall
  • 70 durometer only
  • Kevlar or wire bead
  • 2.25 CC weighs 650 grams (Kevlar)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by snafu5962 a Racer from York, Pa, USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2009

Strengths:    They are light and look cool. They are fast on the flats

Weaknesses:    Terrible traction when climbing and cornering

Bottom Line:
    Dont buy em

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Ridge County Park

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   Kenda small block 8

Bike Setup:   Salsa El Santo

Submitted by Don Duende a Weekend Warrior from Eastern Sierra

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2007

Strengths:    Good cornering and grip.

Weaknesses:    Lasted only two months due to a bad casing. Started to rub the frame and had to be discarded.

Bottom Line:
    Used with Stans No Tubes setup. Not well made, may not be compatible with tubelesss sealants,durablity is an issue. Never had a problem with Panaracers and Kendas in 15 years.

Favorite Trail:   Mammoth MTB Park

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer, Kenda

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5

Submitted by Sharon Vasco a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2007

Strengths:    Looks good

Weaknesses:    Very poor quality, tyre beads came apart in less than 30 miles! Do not buy these tyres!

Bottom Line:
    I had a major problem with the Intense tyres (Tyre Systems CC 225 XC C3 26 x 2.25 Folding C3).

Last weekend I went on a mountain bike trip with a group of 35 riders. The train was typical cross country dirt roads and single tracks.

After about 15 km into the ride I had discovered that my rear tyre had a huge bulge and that it was loosing air and that the tyre sealant was also leaking out. In my many years of riding I had never seen anything like that happen to a tyre (the bulge).

In order to fix the problem we had to remove the tyre and use a tube and it was apparent that the tyre's inside actually came apart (the tyre beads). My friends and I were sure that this was a result of a faulty tyre and we continued our ride. An hour later the same happened to the front tyre!

Needless to say that I was shocked, after all these were new tyres (and expensive ones I should say) that have gone through less than 50 km total. None of the other riders in the group had any problems such as mine expect the usual flat here and there.

I understand that if these tyres were old and worn out this could be the result, but because these tyres only did less than 50 km total it is obvious that they're construction is very poor and unreliable.

The intense tyres looked great and you would think they are high quality tyres but the fact is they performed in an unacceptable manner. These tyres are just unreliable and I would never buy them again.

The guys from Intense claim it was a result of using the DT Swiss tubeless kit on a non-UST tyre like the Intense but this does not happen with other brands of tyres like:

Schwalbe
    Continental
    Kenda
    Nokian
    Bontrager
    Geax
    Maxxis

On the other hand the brands which are not recommended because they have unreliable beads - known to snap or so loose they roll off the rim are:

Panaracer
    WTB
    Intense
    IRC
    Hutchinson
    Michelin

UST tyres of any brand are fine.

In any case I don't see why a tubeless kit sealant should cause tyres beads to snap, it's not like we are talking about an acid that eats through the tyre right?

After I got back home from the ride where the Intense tyres failed, I bought myself a pair of Schwalbe Albert tyres and now I know that they will not fail me like the Intense tyres did.

I do hope this information was helpful.

Favorite Trail:   too many to list

Purchased At:   ChainReactioncycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Geax, Bontrager, Schwalbe

Bike Setup:   Ventana’s El Saltamontes

Submitted by Geoff a Weekend Warrior from nowheres home

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2005

Strengths:    large air volume, grippy on dry/hardpack, predictable slide, looks the part

Weaknesses:    not so good on sandy or loose terrain, heavy, doesnt last long

Bottom Line:
    the tyres have performed well but are starting to show their wear after 6 months of solid abuse.

after riding peru i thought these tyres where the bomb, they handled everything from fire road, single track, rocky downhills.

after spain i changed my mind. had a few puntures from thorns, some of the knobs are missing and every knob just had chunks flying off it! and in the soft sandy conditions i felt like i was on ice skates.

the conclusion: great tire all round tyre with great grip in most conditions. but after 2000kms they will need replacing soon. great as an all mountain tyre if you are unsure what the trail has in store for you.

Favorite Trail:   anything with rocks

Similar Products Used:   bonty jones ac, pana's trailbreakers, hutchinsons pythons and scorpions, irc... a few others

Bike Setup:   klein palomino, marzocchi forks, hope hubs and brakes, mavic rims, king headset, xt drive train

Submitted by Mark Wein from Novato

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2004

Strengths:    Good width and weight for dry rocking trails. Easy to mount.

Weaknesses:    Quality control. This is the thrid 2.25CC tire I ahave had and all have been off center.

Bottom Line:
    Great tire for the dusty rocky trails of Northern Ca, but the quality control sucks. The tread has been vulcanized crooked on to the casing. The tire causes the wheels to ride as if out of true. Great design poor excution. I would give these tires 5 flaming chilis if the where made correctly.

Similar Products Used:   Lots and lots of tires.

Bike Setup:   Anvil Hammer steel hard tail, Sram XO Fox 80RLT, Easton carbon bars, Magura Marta brakes, Am Classic wheels.

Submitted by Roberto from Alabaaama

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
    I run a 2.25CC on the front only and I think it performs admirably compared to the Fire. The grip is consistent and it breaks traction predictably. Works really well in the sub-tropical wet, rooty, AL,TN,NC environment. I have had no sidewall or knob problems, but they do wear fast. I don't know why you'd buy these if 1/2 of your "mtn" ride is on the road. The widely spaced knobs are obviously not going to do the job. But, anyway, 4 flaming nuggets... because no tire is perfect.

Similar Products Used:   Fire XC's are/were(?) my favorite

Bike Setup:   I've been running the Fire XC's exclusively for years.
    I have a Blur

Submitted by Gvoz from New York, USA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2004

Strengths:    Reliable, consistent grip

Weaknesses:    high rolling resistance (SR version)

Bottom Line:
    They grip predictably and put a lot of tire volume between me and the trail. What you get in grip you pay for in rolling resistance with the SR rubber. Great for the varied conditions of the east coast trails I ride. Have not ridden them frequently enough to get the adverse results described by others. Great hookup one rainy day on the rocky trail at Round Valley Reservoir, NJ. Not yet tire Nirvana, but a good stop along the way and nothing has happened to make me want to swap them out.

Favorite Trail:   Lower Whistler

Purchased At:   Bike Man

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Id, Mavic disc rims, CK hubs

Submitted by Mac a Cross Country Rider from Montana

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2003

Strengths:    None, they separated before I could get much of a chance to ride them.

Weaknesses:    Tires separated along the center of the tire and one eventually blew a 2.5" hole along the center. No customer service. I called and emailed for 4 months with no response. The retailer even tried to call the warranty department and they would not return even his calls.

Bottom Line:
    Be warned. My tires were poor quality and I recieved no customer service. I only rode my tires for a little over a week. I wasted almost $80 on these tires. It is unbeleivable that they can stay in business with faulty tires and no customer service. Please consider this before buying any intense tire.

Purchased At:   Excel Sports

Submitted by Jim Lyonn a Racer from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2003

Strengths:    Tires had OK grip.

Weaknesses:    These tires had the most fighteningly inferior casings I've ever seen on any mtn bike tires. There were odd lumps and bulges throughout both tires. One lump grew until the tire was hitting the seat stay. After riding them for about 60 trail miles I pulled them off as I was afraid they would totally go out on me miles from the trailhead. I showed them to other riders who couldn't believe how bad they looked. I took them back to the shop where I bought them and Intense never returned his calls to try and send them back nor would they respond to my e-mail attempts to contact them either. I have never met with this kind of lousy customer service from any mtn bike parts vendor. To create an inferior product and then not even have the decency to admit it is unforgivable.

Bottom Line:
    I would NEVER buy another tire from Intense. I have never seen more inferior tires nor encountered such crappy customer service. Be forewarned!

Favorite Trail:   ANYTHING in Sun Valley!

Purchased At:   $40.00 ea.

Similar Products Used:   You name it. High end race and trail tires from Continental, Panaracer, Specialized, Michelin, Kenda, Hutchinson and now, unfortunately, Intense.

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth w/ mix of SRAM, Shimano, Marzocchi and Magura.

Submitted by pete a Cross Country Rider from vail colorado

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2003

Strengths:    these tires do grip like crazy. they corner like a dream.

Weaknesses:    These tires are not for people who have to pay for them! my road tires would last longer on the trail.

Bottom Line:
    I fourtunetly did not pay for mine. I feel REAL sorry for those who got hit with the 40 plus price tag for these gems. If you've got money to burn, use em for the max 5 months you will get. IF money and longevity are youre thing, do not go for these tires

Similar Products Used:   fire xc pro michelen wtb conti

Bike Setup:   santa cruz blur Z1sl xtr

Submitted by j johnston a Weekend Warrior from oakland, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2003

Strengths:    fast, good grip

Weaknesses:    weak sidwalls, no pinchflat protection, expensive, don't last

Bottom Line:
    Don't buy these tires if you ride anywhere rocky or need a tire that lasts. I erroneously ran this tire during the Downieville classic this year and flatted 4 times! I'm sorry but if you flat that many times on a trail you normally clean, something is up with the tire. After the third flat I noticed that there was a hole in the tire itself. I patched this, and picked up another flat a couple of miles down the trail. None of the flats occured in overly rocky sections, and I never felt the rim once. By the end of the ride I realized just how little sidewall protection these tires have and how the lack of any real bead probably contributes to easy pinch flats. I was surprised because I had ridden this tire many times for a month or two prior to the race in rough terrain with no problems. If you ride cross country and can afford new tires every few rides, go for it, they hook up great. Otherwise, go with WTB, best tires in the world!

Favorite Trail:   chaparral

Purchased At:   Revolution, Arcata

Similar Products Used:   WTB

Bike Setup:   COVE G-Spot

Submitted by Marc Straight a Weekend Warrior from Redondo Beach

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2003

Strengths:    Seem to grip good for the short time I rode them, Good size for a 2.25.

Weaknesses:    Knobs tear of, weak side walls, short knob blocks would probably wear fast if tire could last more than one ride.

Bottom Line:
    These tires came stock on my Heckler. Only went less than a mile down the Mt. wilson trail when I got the fist pinch flat. While changing the tube I noticed that the side wall had riped about 1/2". Used three (3) patches to fix it and put in a new tube. Pumped the tire up to the max and was on my way. I made it about a mile when I jumped of a rock and drifted down the trail and got another pinch flat. Had to baby the bike the rest of the way for fear of geting another pinch flat again. I replaced the rear tire with an IRC because It has a stronger sidewall. I thought I could keep the front tire, but after inspecting it I noticed that some of the knobs were tearing back exposing the inner casing. This was after only one ride! If these tires come stock on your new bike chuck them in the trash.

Similar Products Used:   Michelin, irc, Panaracer, wtb

Bike Setup:   Santa cruz Heckler built up for heavy trail abuse.

Submitted by mark a Weekend Warrior from R.I.

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2003

Strengths:    great traction, rolls much better than d/h tires that came on bike.very strong

Weaknesses:    they are expensive

Bottom Line:
    the bike came w intense 2.35 d/h tires. they are not good for trail or going uphill. put the cc 2.25s on they have held up very well.i ride on rocky rooty east coast terrain.sidewalls are getting a little beat from sliding on boulders but thats the only wear issue. i run them at 34 lbs with slime tubes no problems at all. they hook up well even on wet pine roots very stable at speed and take down hill rocky descents like the big boys they are. if they were a little less expensive i would buy a lifetime supply. to the people who cry cause a knob came off stay on the road bikes!!!!

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   many different tires

Bike Setup:   bullitt jr/t 5th element all xt hayes 8 in hyd brakes

Submitted by Roberto Handal a Weekend Warrior from San Juan PR

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2003

Strengths:    Couldnt say much about the tire only used it twice before it started to fall apart.

Weaknesses:    The knobs are flying of after only two rides. This has never happened to me before after two rides.
    The tire is not worth buying i still cant believe it fell apart so fast on the knobs

Bottom Line:
    I bought this bike complete from santa cruz they should change these tires on there complete line of bikes. Tire is no good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   monogas

Purchased At:   cam with the heckler