Hutchinson Top Slick Tire

2.64/5 (22 Reviews)

The HutchinsonTop SlickTire is constructed of 127Tpi casing and its roadTread is smooth inThe center withTexture on sidesTo help provide maximumTraction as you enterTurns. Air Light: Layers ofThe casing have been lightened with a less dense mix of rubber 127Tpi casing RoadTread is smooth inThe center withTexture on sides ISO Diameter: 622 ISO Width: 32 mmTireType: ClincherTire Diameter: 700cTire Use: Road

Submitted by Capitan Slow a Weekend Warrior from Madrid, Spain

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2010

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    No grip in any surface but good tarmac
Pinch flats (often with less than 50-60psi)

Bottom Line:
Nice tire for cycleways (with very good tarmac), painfull ride (no grip, pinch flats...) in other circunstances.
No (IMHO) for commuting.

Purchased At:   Karacol Sport

Bike Setup:   Old MTB converted in road bike

Submitted by John from Arlington VA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2008

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, easy to get on and off the rim, I never got a flat with these tires that wasn't my fault.

Weaknesses:    After fewer than 250 miles, the tread is separating from the casing and the casing itself is delaminating. The moldings appeared poorly put together, the silver stripes in the tread didn't line up at the seam.

Bottom Line:
I am thoroughly dissatisfied with these tires. After only about 230 miles of loaded commuting (I'm a law student, the books are heavy), I pulled the valve stem out of a tube on the rear. While I was changing the tire, I noticed that the tread was separating from the casing and that the casing itself was beginning to delaminate at the bead. I thought that it might be a result of the high weights that I was putting on the tire combined with always running the tire at its maximum PSI, but it is also doing the same stuff on the front tire, which is run at a lower pressure and still has its molding waste on it (So otherwise unworn). This was the first time the tires were off the rims since I put them on, and the damage was pervasive, so I don't think it could be damage that I did with a tire lever.

I wouldn't buy these tires again, there are too many tires that work well...

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Armadillo,Specialized All Condition (on the road bike).

Bike Setup:   Cannondale CAAD 3 set up as a commuter. Rack, Panniers, etc. Otherwise, XT-LX.

Submitted by Neil a Racer from London, UK

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2007

Strengths:    (TopSlick Gold 26x1.0 Version) Amazingly good looking, matches the livery on my Cannondale Martyn Ashton Rep perfectly. Folding verson can be removed and fitted with bare hands. Very very fast in the dry, and feel incredibly light in the corners.
Positive, confident braking in the dry...

Weaknesses:    ...which turns into the scariest ride of your life when it begins to rain.
I didn't know you could 'drift' a bicycle until i bought these tyres.
Hitting the HS33s hard in the wet scares the hell outta ya, and as for cornering it's just plain dicey! Oh, and the weekly flat is a PITA to deal with. Gets expensive.

Bottom Line:
Soooo achingly cool, i feel i owe it to my bike to run them (it has a Hutchinson logo as part of the original paintwork) but FFS they flat too easily!
Very light too, even the Contis felt heavier in cornering.
It rains so much in winter here, and i value my life - Specialized All-Conditions Pro have them licked by a very long way.
If you're gonna get 'em, get the folding version. Even lighter.
And reserve them for summer and new tarmac!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere but Oxford Street

Purchased At:   Condor Cycles, London

Similar Products Used:   Continental Ultra Gators, Specialized All-Conditions/Turbo Pro 26x1.0

Bike Setup:   CAAD3 + XTR/Ultegra + Mavic X618/Hope + Magura HS33 Evos + Thomson + Selle SLR

Submitted by Eric Henrickson a Cross Country Rider from Morgantown, WV USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2007

Strengths:    High Pressure Urban slick. Excellent handling on pavement. Ultra low rolling resistance. All good traits for a commuter tire.

Weaknesses:    Pinch flat after pinch flat after pinch flat after pinch flat. I have a soft, thick kevlar strip in the tire to prevent punctures, and I've not had any puncture flats. Did I mention that they are prone to pinch flats?

Bottom Line:
I love the speed and the handling, but having to deal with flat tires on the way to work several times a week gets old. I maintain my tire pressures at the maximum end of the range, which is apparently not sufficient for preventing pinch flats.

There are very few good commuter tires available. Most run at low pressures equalling high rolling resistance, or are low volume. Unless you can commute on perfectly smooth pavement, a higher volume tire is necessary.

If these came in a 1.75" or 2.00" they would be unbeatable.

Favorite Trail:   The road to work

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   IRC, Kenda, Schwalbe slicks

Bike Setup:   Mt. Bike converted to slicks for commuting to work

Submitted by Jordan Allen a Cross Country Rider from Adelaide, SA, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2006

Strengths:    -120Tpi gives this tyre execellent feel, foldable
-Plenty of grip
-Execellent ride quality (keeping in mind this is a 1"/25mm road slick
-Very fast
-I keep getting them for free (explaind later)

Weaknesses:    Very fast wearing, (this tyre is very very soft and is similar in compound to Hutchinson's 700c race tyres)
I wore a brand new tyre out (was on the rear) in 220km from Hobart to Launceston in Tasmania. In total I've had over 10 tyres, and have only paid for 2, because they wear so fast nd Hutchinson Aus have replaced them all.

Bottom Line:
In less than 8 months I had worn through over 9 of these tyres, with each example being taken back by Southcots (the Aussie distributer of Hutchinson for examination.) I eventually got fed up and ordered a set of the foldable 1" ritchey tom slicks, while these tyres are nowhere near as good as the Hutchinson's (ride quality is chalk and cheese) they are much harder wearing, and the ride is just as fast, just not a supple.

When I do my next tour of Tassie in September I'll be odering another set, as the ride quality is so so good, and they ride so fast.

As a race tyre, they are no doubt the best 1"/25mm 26" tyre on the market, however as a day to day tyre they just wear too quick and they are rather expencive if you get the top model. It's this fact that will draw the score down. If you're looking for a good day to day 26x1" tyre look no further than the Ritchey folding 1" tomslick.

Favorite Trail:   it's a road tyre

Purchased At:   Mike Turtur Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Tom slick, various other 1-1.2" slicks

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakota XC with complete Shimano XT group set including wheels and discs. Time pedals

Submitted by pipinghotpixels! a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2005

Strengths:    Fast, fast, fast on asphalt and other paved surfaces! Via proper tire inflation, have yet to experience a flat on Chicago's sometimes glass-strewn streets.

Weaknesses:    As expected, unforgiving on uneven or pebbly surfaces. If you're accustomed to knobbies, your first few rides will seem like punishment. Even with the right tools, extremely difficult to mount onto standard 26" rim. Need to check air pressure/inflation before every ride. My sidewalls already look sketchy.

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for roadie speed on predictable and paved surfaces, the Hutchinson Top Slick may be the right tire for your mountain bike. Good for urban asphalt in dry conditions, but not much else. (My favorite tires for urban conditions—and my favorite tires of all time—would be the Specialized Mt. Baldy. Boo hoo that they're discontinued!)

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Mt. Baldy (Semi-Slick), Maxxis Oriflamme (Semi-Slick)

Bike Setup:   Upgraded GT Ricochet (These tires look exceptionally dorky on my fat-tubed bicycle!)

Submitted by landrover a Weekend Warrior from chicago,illinois,USA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2004

Strengths:    Held up well for about 2 years.
I biked about 3 to 4 times a week in the spring and summer months.
The tires were strong,reliable and carried my 260 pound frame over smooth and bumpy asphalt.
I put em on a pair of DEEP V Velocity ATB Rims and they held their own.
I changed em out last week after finally noticing some wear on the side walls.
These tires never blew,buckled or pinched in the 2 years i had em.
I just replaced them with an identical pair.

Bottom Line:
Solid tire than was worth the purchase.

Purchased At:   nashbar

Bike Setup:   GT Karakoram with a pair of Velocity Deep V ATB Rims.

Submitted by Jesper a Racer from Stockholm, Sweden

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2004

Strengths:    Light, quick

Weaknesses:    Wears quickly, flats

Bottom Line:
Not satisified. Wears too quickly. I've switched to a couple of Continental Sport Contact tires that are a bit wider but gives you a much nicer ride (without as many flats).

Similar Products Used:   Continental Sport Contact

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Bad Boy 2003

Submitted by Adrian Tritschler a Weekend Warrior from Melbourn, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2004

Strengths:    Very lightweight kevlar folding tyre. Fast and smooth.

Weaknesses:    Soft, peeled apart after ten months, 6500km road use.

Bottom Line:
I found these to be great for riding on, mostly commuting and unladen touring, but they did wear out quickly.

Not impressed by the lifespan. Retail price of $80 Australian *each*, got a pair for $120. Less than a year of road use and the rear has fallen apart.

Purchased At:   Mascott Cycles

Similar Products Used:   IRC Metro, Tioga City Slicker

Bike Setup:   Norco Java, SID SL forks, Mavic wheels -- light and fun to chase roadies up hills on.

Submitted by Alex a Weekend Warrior from Tempe, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2004

Strengths:    Light, fast, nimble, good grip and nice ride.

Weaknesses:    With just a few hundred miles on them, none yet.

Bottom Line:
I got these on sale at Nashbar and liked them so much I immediately ordered a second set. Mine are the gold series, whatever the differences may be. I use them on the road and on the extensive canal system in Tempe, Scottsdale, Phoenix (some of it paved, some of it hard packed dirt). So far they have been a delight on both. I have had no flats in several hundred miles and the wear is, to me, quite acceptable for the experience they provide. If you ride similar terrain and are not looking for maximum milage in a tire, the (the gold version at least) is a very sweet tire.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with no cars

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   various

Bike Setup:   Bridgestone MB-3 with modifications.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2003

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Extremely prone to flats

Bottom Line:
In exchange for the $20 I saved on this pair of tires over the sturdy, long-wearing kevlar-beaded Continental Grand Prix, they have cost me the same amount in punctured tubes that I have had to replace. That's just in the first few months -- over the life of the tire it will probably cost me considerably more, not to mention the nuisance of having to change tubes on my way to work.

I have had more flats in the first few months of using these tires than I had in six years of using the Grand Prix. The lower price provides a false economy.

Purchased At:   Cambria Bicycle Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Continental Grand Prix

Bike Setup:   Mountain bike with road tires, higher geared crankset.

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Emu Plains, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2003

Strengths:    Rolling resistance, light

Weaknesses:    Wears quickly, price (AU$49.00 - wire bead)

Bottom Line:
I've used the wire bead 1.2's for the past 6 months and although the rolling resistance is good and they are light, the wear is disappointing. I commute to work 4-5 days a week (25km each way) and after the first month of use, I found numerous nicks and cuts in the tread. I've also recently found a hole in the tread large enough for the tyre-liner to be visible. The price was a little steep compared to the wear of the tyre.
I wouldn't recommend this tyre for heavy road use, ie. commuting everyday, but if you needed a tyre for occasional use instead of using knobbies, then they might work for you.

Purchased At:   Blackmans

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Fat Boy

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Axis Pro (set up for road)

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Concord, MA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2003

Strengths:    Light, grippy, skinny

Weaknesses:    Wears fast.

Bottom Line:
I got these tires pretty dirt cheap, and they have been ok to me. Unquestionably relativly fast on road. I've had one flat while using them, and that was not the tires fault. Tube ripped at the vavle stem. Got these tires last year when I tweaked my wrist and was order'd off mtbing (I choose not to bring up road riding to the doc;) ) by doc. Put a considerable amount of milage on them before being clear'd by my doc. 45 miles 2 times a week, with some 20 and 30's thrown in. Probalby 120 or so miles a week. Just got back from a 48 mile ride on them tonight where I averaged 18mph. They R pitted pretty badly currently, and really too quickly for the amount of milage on them, but considering the price and preformance, I'm ok with it. If you ride like a roadie (no curb hopping, staying a bit out from the shoulder, saying off dirt) I think they're just fine. You can get 3 for the price of one of the more expensive slicks, so it evens out. Overall, I've been happy with them.

Purchased At:   Supergo