Hutchinson Spider Air Light Tire

3.58/5 (19 Reviews)

Submitted by BaggiesOnly a Weekend Warrior from Ohio

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight! Corner good. Soft tire that can run at low pressure well, so traction is "sticky". Oh, and they are LIGHT Weight!

Weaknesses:    Thin walls. Worn out fast

Bottom Line:
These tires were good overall. If you like big fat tires that roll pretty fast, these work well. Don't expect the tread to last long as they are very soft. Having said that, they cling to rocks and roots like a fat guy to a box of donuts. They shed mud well because there are big spaces between nobs. (They also seemed to get puncturesd easily due to the big spaces between nobs.) Overall, I would probably use these again if the price was right. Not a spectacular tire but they corner and climb well in most conditions.Not for anything but off road riding. ( Your driveway will tear these up!)

Favorite Trail:   Mohican wilderness

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Jones axc Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Submitted by schnellebig a Cross Country Rider from JO-MO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2008

Strengths:    This is the tubeless version of the spider. First of all, they were relatively light and lasted for a while. I rode them all year in all weather. They were excellent on hard pack to soft conditions. Mud cleared well due to their wide spaced lugs. Minimal rolling resistance. I ran stan's and never had a flat. I had 14 holes poked in my rear tire before it gave up the ghost. (not sure if that is due to the tire or due to stan's) Over all they were good tires.

Weaknesses:    Like all tires, you need to know your bike and how it is tuned. These tires tended to break loose if I ran them over 35 PSI regardless of the trail conditions, so if you don't like to run your tires a little soft, avoid these. they were VERY unpredictable on wet roots or rocks, and tended to wash out on wet hard-pack. The soft compound was very susceptable to broked glass or thorns on trail.

Bottom Line:
Over all they were good tires. They seemed to perform real well in the sandier environments and less well on hard and wet trails. But heck, if you get a good price, you won't be disappointed cause there are not any "perfect" tires for all situations, and stopping to change tires for different conditions on the trail is impractical. I ride a lot at my home trails (outlaw trestles trail in Joplin) I like to have several different sets of tires for different trails and then set my bike up for the trail I plan to ride next. If you are like me, you will be pleased.

Favorite Trail:   Turkey mountain, Tulsa, ok

Purchased At:   bikenashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   Pythons, Serac, now switched to Fire XC Pro tubless

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar full suspension with american classic rims and Stan's No-tube kit.

Submitted by Jim a Racer from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2007

Strengths:    First tire I've ridden that I (at 200+) can ride at 25 psi. Works great in trail conditions ranging from mud to to tacky dirt, and good on rocky trails too, although pump them up a bit more. Sidewalls seems alarmingly thin and limp, but are in fact quite tough. Oh yeah, not bad on snow.

Weaknesses:    Traction not the best, although not totally awful, on dry trails, especially loose dirt over hardpack.

Bottom Line:
These are super tires for damp to wet conditions. They've been on clearance lately, so I stocked up.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Many.

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC, Man. Skareb Elite, random parts mix except for XTR crankset and rear der.

Submitted by Chris from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2007

Strengths:    Very light, fairly low rolling resistance for the size, seems a good all-around front tire. In the front, it seems very stable on corners. Decent on wet or damp dirt.

Weaknesses:    As a rear tire these simply don't hook up when climbing. In all conditions, the back end slides around like crazy. I ran the rear at 45+ pounds (I weigh 225) and still frequently pinch-flatted. Might work better at 30 lbs pressure, but would only be possible if I lost 75 pounds. I finally took them off the other day when I got a snakebite flat riding over a 6-inch drop at the edge of the pavement on Landing Road. Also, after only about 100 miles on trails exclusively, there's significant wear on the rear.

Bottom Line:
I'm probably going to wind up using these as front tires, but would only use them in back again in the case of a tire shortage emergency.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco Avalon

Similar Products Used:   Just put on some WTB Velociraptor 2.1's... so far so good. Also Nevegals, Pracer Fires, etc., etc.

Bike Setup:   They came with my new '05 Jamis XLT 1.0

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2007

Strengths:    superlight weight for 2.3, rolls like fat guys down a hill (good)

Weaknesses:    cornering, sidewalls, climbing grip

Bottom Line:
i have taken these off my duallie for some time now and have used other tyres as a comparison.
these are light, fat, and roll really well. these would be an excellent 24hr race tyre.
But they don't hook up when you put the power on.
The grip is on par but no exceptional.

the one thing with both the hutchinsons i've ridden with is that even with a duallie and running about 40psi, i keep on pinch flatting, i thought at first, this was me and not choosing the right lines but for the last year and a bit i haven't snake bitten my maxxis's at all!!

I am a big fella so these tyres i thought just didn't cut the cheese for me.

For a 24hr race or cross country riding without too many sharp rocks, these i reckon would be awesome but for the price and what else is out there, i wouldn't get them.

personally i thought the knobs looked alright but very minimal. you gain the advantage of weight and rolling resistance and decent comfy ride but you lose out on grip and price.

Similar Products Used:   hutch. scorpions, max. hansventures, max. high rollers, spec. enduro pro

Bike Setup:   dakar xlt 1.0

Submitted by haggis a Cross Country Rider from dunedin, NZ

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2007

Strengths:    Ex grip in loose wet soil or muddy conditions. Good wearing. Superb front tyre.

Weaknesses:    None really. (Can't have great mud performance and super fast rolling).

Bottom Line:
XC race in a pine forest recently during a thunderstorm with plenty of rain. Mate was wearing new Conti Explorer front and Crossmark back and he couldn't ride the same off-camber lines or brake as late even though he's a better tech rider. He was really impressed with my setup. Nuff said.

Similar Products Used:   Heaps

Bike Setup:   2.1 UST Spider up front, Geax Barro Marathon 2.1 rear

Submitted by Robert Banner a Weekend Warrior from Lemoore, CA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2007

Strengths:    Very light weight for a 2.3, low rolling resistance, Ok cornering grip.

Weaknesses:    Very soft sidewall and thin carcass...yeah, I know, that's how they get them so light! Poor braking and climbing traction.

Bottom Line:
I tried these tires on the rear to replace the heavy and slow rolling Neve's. They are definitely lighter and roll a bunch better, but right away I noticed the braking traction was very poor. As time went by, I also noticed that the climbing traction wasn't near as good as the Neve's or some of the other tires that I've tried. At one point while I was riding the TRT in Tahoe, I got fed up with the crappy braking and less than stellar climbing ability, so I decided to try something else when I returned home. Well, a few days later while riding Paige meadows I heard a hissing and a clunking coming from the rear tire...sure enough, it was a puncture...but it was a 1/4in diameter stick protruding from the tire. Well, that goes to show how thin the carcass is on this tire. It would make a pretty decent racing tire...if you need a 2.3 for racing...but as a trail tire I'd have to give it two thumbs down.

Favorite Trail:   robnfl@comcast.net

Purchased At:   Online somewhere....

Similar Products Used:   Neve's, Pany's, Ritcheys.

Bike Setup:   Nomad AM setup.

Submitted by ernest a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2007

Strengths:    High cornering grip, low rolling resistance, good volume for a trail tire (I have the 2.3 size)

Weaknesses:    Less braking traction in the rear than Nevegal, not much warning before losing cornering grip

Bottom Line:
Very good all-round tire for most trails, but I think I'll put my Nevs back on for trips to the mountains to get the extra braking grip, and probably to ride through the winter -- so far i think the Stick-E Nevs have a little overall grip advantage, but they are s o s l o w rolling I was looking for a summer tire with good grip but less rolling resistance. These fit the bill.

Favorite Trail:   Black Mountain, Pisgah

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Mythos II XC, various specializeds, Nevegals, Motoraptors

Bike Setup:   Blur LT, '06 X9 package

Submitted by sarvis a Cross Country Rider from Nevada

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2006

Strengths:    traction to spare on lots of different terrain

Weaknesses:    quick wear, soft sidewalls, squirrelly at very high speeds on loose surfaces (but what isn't?)

Bottom Line:
my legs will give out before these things break traction while climbing. handle all sorts of terrain well. the compound is soft and the knobs wear unevenly, although overall the tread has held up better than i expected initially. the sidewalls do tend to be kind of flexy too. i have not had any trouble with flats, but i've noticed some roll during hard carves and quick transitions in tight corners. excels in loose, dry, rocky conditions that are common here in the desert. the widely spaced knobs seem to grab hold of whatever nook, lip or edge they can find and hang on. overall an outstanding combination of traction and weight. i probably would not try to race them, but i'll have no qualms about buying another pair. they're easy to find at a good price too, either on ebay or at online retailers.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   WTB velocos, weirs; IRC

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element - full custom

Submitted by rusty trombone a Weekend Warrior from west pa usa

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2006

Strengths:    excellent in mud ,leaves, and rocks

Weaknesses:    not good on hardpack

Bottom Line:
these tires rock! forget the other reviews. great for northeast trails.no handling problems whatsoever. been riding wet, slick, leafy, rocky,rooty, muddy,and dry and love them more each time. sidewalls do feel soft but no flats yet? these are an all around tire and if you ride in the northeast, you'll love em.

Favorite Trail:   watchung reservation

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   larsens, ritcheys, scorpions, velociraptors,

Bike Setup:   san andreas,topline cranks, homemade hubs, disc brakes,

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Niagara Falls

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2006

Strengths:    Traction

Weaknesses:    Size

Bottom Line:
These tires are marked 2.00. The are huge though. I don't like the sizing inconsistancies in MTB tires. Not just between brands. My hutch. mosquito 2.00s were notably smaller than these balloons.

I ride an NRS. I ride and race cross country.

I tried this tire on the rear only. It provided excellent traction. Braking was good, and climbing on mud and gravel was great.

What i don't like though, is that it is just too slow. It is a big tire, that is great for trail riding. It is not a bad roller for it's actual size, but it is a mighty big 2.00. I won't rate it poorly, because it is a good tire. I will use it for trail riding, but it is not appropriate for racing XC imo, due to its high volume.

Favorite Trail:   12 mile creek

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson mosquito, kenda bearclaw, other cheap kendas.

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2006

Strengths:    Big volume
Middle of the road weight
Roll very well for big fat 'uns.

Weaknesses:    Not really happy in the marbles.
Don't have a definite edge to them - feel a bit like they want to let go early in corners
Very rapid wear
Thin sidewalls roll at low pressures - feel vague.

Bottom Line:
I wanted big volume rubber that was respectably light for my XC hardtail, and liked the look of these. Te big volume of the 2.0's is a plus (actually 2.2)

I didn't expect them to roll well - they are fat and soft and I run them as low as I can generally. These would be the best rolling big knobbies I've used.

They feel squirrely in gravelly stuff, and the lack of a definite square edge makes them feel unsure in loose corners - but they seem to corner OK nevertheless.

The sidewalls are thin (I guess they had to strip weight off somewhere - these 2.0's are more like 2.2)and if you run them soft they roll on the rim and feel unsure on corners. The tread compound is very soft, showing wear after only a few rides. I think I'll be lucky to get 6 months from the set.

Despite the size I've had better climbing tyres - break loose ealier than I would expect for a big, soft compound tyre.

The tread direction arrows are a puzzle. They indicate for the rear to run with the tread pointing forwards (for faster rolling I assume) but for front use the tread points back at the rider (the opposite of most other tyres). I have tried the front both ways, settling on running it with the trad pointing forwards. Bugger all difference really.

Don't buy these if you are riding a lot of jagged rocky stuff - the sidewalls are soft and thin. The tread is very soft and they wear real fast. They do roll very well for big rubber.

A harder tread compound and a little harder sidewall and they would be much better. Work well on loose over hardpack, at intermediate pressures, where they can also help soak up a few bumps if run on a hardtail.

Purchased At:   Greenfish Sports (ebay)

Similar Products Used:   Various Tioga, Panaracer, etc etc.

Bike Setup:   Tomac Taos HT, Reba SL, X9, Mavic etc.

Submitted by Phillip a Weekend Warrior from Meridian,Ms. USA

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2006

Strengths:    Work surprisingly well in mud,like said before they stick to wet rocks and roots like glue,nice volume,rolling resistance is good for what they are.

Weaknesses:    Darty in sand and loose,recovery issues if you are not a real aggressive rider this is not an issue,wear fast.

Bottom Line:
When I hit the trails and behave myself these tires worked very well for me. I don't ride alot of hardpack or fireroads, mostly well worn and eroded trails heavily polluted with roots and some rocks. Do alot of climbing this stuff so it's safe to say they are good climbing gear. If you ever break them loose in a corner on hardpack/loose over...hang on...even experienced slideways riders are gonna have problems. Like I stated in weaknesses...they do wear quickly which is gonna happen with any tire that has rubber that soft. Soft rubber=Traction on wet rocks and roots. Me, I will take a tire that wears fast but grips over something that slides but wears good any day...figure in your busted ass with that good wear tire!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Fast ones

Similar Products Used:   I don't think I have ever seen a tire quite like this one....I will say other Hutch tires how's that?

Bike Setup:   Fisher Hardtail

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Oakville, Ontario

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2005

Strengths:    Light, roll fast, above-average in mud

Weaknesses:    Wear out VERY quickly

Bottom Line:
Removed these for the first year, as I alternated between the Ritchey's and Panaracers. Installed them in the spring, and noted a very rapid wear rate. Rotated front/rear, but eventually gave up after only 1200 km's. The Ritchey's last 2200 and the Panaracers 2400.

I don't expect lightweight tires to last too long, but these were disappointing. Would not use again.

Purchased At:   came with bike