Hutchinson Scorpion Gold Elite Tire

2.5/5 (2 Reviews)

There isn’t much worseThan spinning yourTires inThe mud, and not making progress. Wet and muddyTerrains bellow forThe use ofThe Hutchinson Scorpion Gold EliteTires.The Scorpion Gold Elite, embedsThe new silicaTechnology which improvesThe rider’s performance.The uniqueTread design has been optimized specifically for muddy conditions.The aggressive profile andTriangle souples provide excellent handlingThroughTurns.  front or rear For muddy, challenging conditions Folding bead 795 gra

Submitted by Kent West a Cross Country Rider from Reno, NV USA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2006

Strengths:    Haven't found any so far.

Weaknesses:    Very small, widely spaced knobs that wore out after about 30-40 miles, punctures easily, thorns go through like made of Saran wrap.

Bottom Line:
Never trust the French. I assume in France there are no rocks, roots or thorns or they would have known these #@*&ing tires wear out after about 4-5 rides. Maybe they just never really rode them on any trails. I bought them on the Internet, and when I got them, I could see the tiny, hollowed out blocks were spaced literally ABOUT 2 INCHES APART! Not only is there no grip when the blocks start to wear (very quickly), there is so much exposed casing that any thorns you ride over end up in your tubes. These tires are advertised "for wet conditions," so I rode them in the rain and slid off everything I should have stuck to (rocks, roots, etc.). I would like to personally place them in the French genius' body cavity who designed them. I had a pair of Python Elites (the old style) that were great tires, but the question is not whether these suck, but rather what do they suck. To say they suck is to insult things that suck everywhere.

I've written at least 50 words, but I could go on all day.
Who should buy them? Sell them to the French, they deserve them.
Yes, I actually own them or at least until the trash man comes.
Yup, just one review on these wonderous tires.
I won't attack the guy who liked 'em.
My spelling is perfect, I think.

Favorite Trail:   Moab

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   So many tires, so little time

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Fantom Elite Pro w/XT-XTR, discs, nice Supergo wheels

Submitted by Ty a Weekend Warrior from ORLANDO

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2005

Strengths:    Lightweight, large volume, float, fast for its size (2.3). Rails corners very well. Very low roll resistance! I like it!

Weaknesses:    Not GREAT BITE Traction - Good but not great. There is certainly a trade off, when desiring lightweight but large volume and low rolling resistance.

Bottom Line:
Good product if you want low roll resistance in a light weight package. I ride mostly aggressive xc taking any and all drops along the way. But for serious freeriding, I would use one of my other many brands in the garage. Ride and live hard!

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah Nat'l Forest

Purchased At:

Similar Products Used:   Hut Python gold, panaracers, irc kujo, kenda kinetics, Wtb weirwolves etc...

Bike Setup:   VT1 Xt Hydros, singletrack rims, 05 firelfy plus evolve fork, swinger coil 4 way rear, sram x.7 shifts & x.9 rd

Check out hottest mountain bike products from these brands!