Hutchinson Scorpion Airlight Tire

2.63/5 (91 Reviews)

Here is a lightweightTire perfect for hitting some easyTrails and/ or fireroads.This fast rollingTire can be used as either a front or rearTire. Size: 26x2.0 Type: Front or Rear Weight: 590 grams

Submitted by aliased a Cross Country Rider from Perth

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2009

Strengths:    - Lightweight and easy to put on the rim.
- Smooth rolling on hardpack.

Weaknesses:    - Goes from positive traction to nothing on loose surfaces without any warning.

Bottom Line:
Ok for hardpacked, smooth trails but definitely not the choice for loose stuff. Washouts are common and oversteers like crazy on tight corners. Had one too many washouts and now have 6 weeks off my bike to find some alternatives as these just aren't right for our local conditions.

Ran them at low and high psi in the loose stuff. High psi is like riding on ice. Low is baggy and vague and not very responsive. No pinches though which is a bonus I guess.

Gotta wonder why Giant would fit these as standard in one of the driest countries around. Musta been cheap.

Bike Setup:   08 Giant Alias with RS Tora 318

Submitted by Rob Lawrence a Weekend Warrior from London, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2008

Strengths:    Sheds mud well, light weight, smooth rolling for a mud tire, would make a good racing tire

Weaknesses:    weak sidewalls, not for VERY Rocky terrain like the packaging says, ok grip on wet rocks and roots, not for epic rides or heavy riders

Bottom Line:
I bought some Michelin AT's and my brother bought the Scorpions, when we looked at the size we decided to put the same set up on both of our bikes, the michelin in the front at 26x2.2 and the scorpion on the back at 26x2.1. We filled the fronts to 35psi and the rear to 38psi. I'm 207lbs and he is 238lbs. We didn't even make it thirty kilometers and we both managed to get a tear in the sidewalls of the Hutchisons. Both hutchison tires were now useless. (The Michelins held up great not the best traction on the rocks but great in the mud.) $200 for a set of tires to go thirty km's. That's alot per km! In seven years of riding this trail this is the first we've experienced this and it's both tires! We returned them to the bike shop and had to argue to get a store credit. It's one thing if it happens to one tire but both! Come on! Buddy tried to get us to take a new set of the same tire. After an experience like that I'm staying away from the Hutchies! They may work well for racing in muddy conditions with a few rocks but not very muddy conditions and nasty rocky terrain! But hey, it's just my opinion.

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm riding on

Purchased At:   Eccelstone Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Michelin all terrain, Michelin XR, Bontrager Revolts, Bontrager Jones AC, Mythos IRC

Bike Setup:   Stock Trek Fuel Ex 9 and a Specialized rock hopper with XT componetry

Submitted by Daniel a Cross Country Rider from Rainy Pacific NW

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2008

Strengths:    Light and Grippy, sheds the mud well, grips well on wet rocks, roots, rails corners well.

Weaknesses:    Not for huckin, jumping etc. Use this tire for what it was designed for, wet, mucky trail riding where it excels.

Bottom Line:
I use the Scorpion 2.0 on the front when racing, switch to the 2.3 for general trail riding. This is a light low rolling resistance tire that grips well in the wet muck we have in the Pacific NW (yes it rains here). Sheds mud well, rails on the corners very well, has no problems with roots/rocks. Riders looking for a light tire that grips well in wet conditions would like this tire. I had my doubts about using a light tire such as the Scorpion but those concerns faded fast and now it is my preferred front tire on forest trails, muck, mud. For hardpack I might use something else, but here in the muddy NW this tire excels. Use it for what it was designed for and enjoy!
Gave 5 chilis for value since they are sale
Gave 4 chilis overall - No tire does it all

Favorite Trail:   Inca Trails - SA

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire, Cinder, Trailblaster. Hutchinson Scorpion

Bike Setup:   Custom built Frankenbike

Submitted by Andrew Curtis-Cody a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2007

Strengths:    I fitted a pair of Scorpion Airlights to my Kona Kula Delux for the Karapoti Classic. For those who haven't heard of this race it's 47kms of rocks, roots, sand, gravel, ups, downs plus a few hard bits! These tyres were awesome. Fast on the fast bits and grippy on the grippy bits. I noticed they did slide n' drift before gripping when cranked over they never let go.

Weaknesses:    High rate of wear.

Bottom Line:
I found this a great tyre for loose n' wet conditions. High rate of wear. The Airlight is a lightweight XC tyre. It's not going to last long on the road or riding on hard rocky trails. Buy the right tyre for the job!

Favorite Trail:   QCT

Similar Products Used:   Pythons, Spiders, High Roller Exception

Bike Setup:   2004 Kona Kula Delux, Z2 Atom race, XT/Sun DS1, XT/XTR, RaceFace

Submitted by Thomas Rickabaugh a Weekend Warrior from Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2007

Strengths:    Good on the road.

Weaknesses:    Not much grip on anything. Mud, harpack, rocks, etc. It cant grip very well. First tire that I ever used when I started getting into Mountain Biking. Lasted for a while, however as said above, not very grip. Im only 16 but I ride alot eventually had to replace my rear tire.

Bottom Line:
Good for riding on the road. However doesnt grip very well on mud, hardpack. Everythin explained above.

Favorite Trail:   Hobby Park

Purchased At:   Paceline Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ignitor (on other bike), Bontrager Jones XR

Bike Setup:   2004 Cannondale All Mountain Jekyll 600

Submitted by Nabil from State College, Pa

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2007

Strengths:    Decent grip, light weight, price

Weaknesses:    THIS TIRE STINKS! Its not durable at all. I only rode it about 4 times and two holes in the side walls and the tires are done. If you plan on doing any hard riding at all (rocks, roots, etc.) this tire is a waste of money. Get something more durable

Bottom Line:
If you do easy riding this tire may be good but if you do hard riding forget it. It won't last get something more durable.

Favorite Trail:   Rothrock State Forest

Purchased At:   Online Store Cheap

Submitted by Ben Walker a Cross Country Rider from La Grange NC USA

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2007

Strengths:    Traction in soft, wet, sandy conditions. Cornering in soft, wet, sandy conditions.

Weaknesses:    Wears fast on hard pack/pavement.

Bottom Line:
These tires are awesome if you use them for what they are made for. They aren't made for MOAB, unless you can afford to swap them out regularly. I have had mine on the bike for four years now, granted I don't get to ride as much as i like, but in the leg burning soft sandy swamp trails of southeastern NC, these tires shine, they shed mud, they corner in soft wet sand, and since I got rid of my narrow Mavic 317 rims and put them on some Sun Rhyno lites, they haven't pinch flatted. I'm a Clydesdale, 215 lbs.

They do wear quick on pavement, i have to ride onroad to get to my fav off road trails.

I LOVE these tires.

Favorite Trail:   Wayne Nat'l Forest OH

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire, IRC Mythos

Bike Setup:   2001 Jamis Dakar Pro XTR/Avid disc XT hubs Rhyno lite wheel set

Submitted by Matt Bordignon a Cross Country Rider from Ivanhoe, VIC, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2007

Strengths:    Great tyre for wet, loose, rocky terrain. Puncture resistant.

Weaknesses:    Slow in a straight line on hard packed terrain. Tends to slide a little through hard conering until you tip it over a little further onto the side knobbys, then they grip very well.

Bottom Line:
I have used these tyres for the past three months and came with the bike brand new. I ride them to work every day on the road, one night a week on trails and every weekend on varying terrain.
So far they have been a fantastic tyre. I am not particularly heavy (75 Kg) but I do ride pretty hard and the tracks I ride are usually hard packed with loose soil on top with lots of rocks. I am yet to have a flat.
They also seem to be wearing quite well. I run the front at 38psi and the rear at 36psi and would easily have 70% of tyre left after 1200km.
I think the biggest let down is the straight line speed, but they are a soft terrain tyre. Reccomended pressure is 29 psi, I personally think that this is too soft for the terrain I ride. Maybe more suited to very wet, softer trails at this pressure. I would buy these tyres again for winter, think i will try something a little harder for summer.

Purchased At:   came new on the bike

Bike Setup:   Giant Alias 2007, SPDM540's.

Submitted by Jarred a Cross Country Rider from Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2007

Strengths:    Fast on solid ground/road, really fast whilst new.

Weaknesses:    Bald within 2 months, although i probably rode them hard.

Bottom Line:
Don't waste your money. They just wear out too quickly

Bike Setup:   Giant Yukon

Submitted by Mark B. a Weekend Warrior from Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2007

Strengths:    wider than rated, easy to mount, UST and still fairly light

Weaknesses:    buzz at slow speeds

Bottom Line:
since these were free from a buddy who races & hates them, i figured i'd roll them through the winter; they'd last until i could get a set of new tires for the spring. now i'm looking at getting more of them, i like them so much. a new years' day ride took me up a short/steep grass slope in a local park (polar bears dunked, we watched), and these tires hooked UP! as long as i maintain a decent speed, they roll well, no buzz or vibe. swore off Hutch after the Alligator disaster (lasted 2 months), but they may have me back w/ these!

Favorite Trail:   the next one

Purchased At:   freebie from buddy

Similar Products Used:   Pythons, Gators, IRC Mythos, Kendas

Bike Setup:   Weyless SP, Black Sport, Hayes HMX, x.7

Submitted by mike purnell a Cross Country Rider from camarillo, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2006

Strengths:    Light Weight, Work well in sand when new

Weaknesses:    WEAR!!! This tire (rear) wore out in the 1st 150-200 miles. Center tread is junk, spins like mad on techno ups.

Bottom Line:
Would not recommend or purchace again. I only bought them because they came w/ the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim, Moab, UT.

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire Pro XC, Kenda Nevegal

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Epiphany, Sram XO

Submitted by Desmond a Racer from Texas

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2006

Strengths:    Hooks up well on the side knobs in sharp corners, good in sand and loose rocks. Lasts forever off road.

Weaknesses:    Have not really found any, but I would imagine it would be a bit dicey on the road in the wet.

Bottom Line:
I was not going to post on this subject, but there is a lot of negative stuff being said about this tire. For my money it's one of the best front tires I've ever used. I just realized It's been on my front wheel for almost three years.
I don't ride it on the road very often, but it has survived three years of racing and riding on all kinds of terain, in all kinds of weather, and has saved me from loosing it at the last minute many times. The tire will start to slide, and then grab on the big side knobs when you get over at a steep angle. It has only gone flat on me once, and that was my own fault. I run my tires on regular Velocity rims, with Stans rim strips and Stans sealant. I have a Python Airlight on the back, and looking around the race meetings it seems to be a common combination. I put the Scorpion on for a mud race originally, and never took it off. I guess it really is time to replace it now though. If you want to ride on the pavement with your mountain bike, get a tire that's suitable.
Max Chillies for this one.

Favorite Trail:   Womble

Similar Products Used:   All kinds

Bike Setup:   Macalu titanium hard tail, Rock Shock Sid Team, Sram Grip Shift, Race Face cranks, LP bars, Thud Buster post. Velocity rims, Time pedals.

Submitted by Broken Pencil a Cross Country Rider from Berkshire, England

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2006

Strengths:    Fast, very fast. Front and rear slides, all the time (whoo-hoo).

Weaknesses:    Pinch flats every other ride! Poor wear. Vague steering. Front and rear slides, all the time (gonna-die,gonna-die,gonna-die).

Bottom Line:
Came with the bike, reasonable grip when new but wore out fast with over 20 pinchflats in 6 months and 300 miles. Zero tread left on the rear apart from the side knobs now. Vague steering (understeer) from front on downhills.
If one ignores both front and rear sliding, which can be scary especially on rooty decents, and pedals harder instead of backing off, they can be lots of fun. I would not recommend this approach for anything loose though as this will virtually guarantee an off.
Who should buy? - people who like going really fast over any terrain, have body armour and don't care about longevity.
Who shouldn't buy? - people who fix their own punctures (unless this is a source of enjoyment for you).

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in Swinley Forest