Hutchinson Python Tire

3.45/5 (75 Reviews)

Hutchinson Python Kevlar 2.0 Tire: Hutchinson's top selling MTB tire, the New Generation Python gets updated with enlarged lateral steering knobs. Close knob proximity on centerline for reduced rolling resistance...

Submitted by Vin a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2012

Strengths:    fast rolling, excels in dry conditions, good grip on firm dry ground uphill.

Weaknesses:    2.3 width is really a 2.1, does not shed dirt/mud much, loss of traction on structure, requires good technique to counteract tire's limitations

Bottom Line:
In fairness we had some rain over the last few weeks so it was a little wetter than normal in the low lying areas. I noticed the faster roll right off and downhill dry single track riding was ok. I was disappointed with the lack of rear tire bite on rocks and roots going uphill. Spin outs at critical times is aggravating! The tire did not shed dirt or mud well at all and the 2.35 is really closer a 2.1. The sales rep. at BicyclesBuys.com talked me out of getting Maxxis Ignitors to try out the Python.
All in all I was disappointed. Should have ordered my Ignitors.

Purchased At:   bicyclebuys.com

Bike Setup:   Blur LT

Submitted by dnnandxc a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2011

Strengths:    Rolling resistance, weight

Weaknesses:    cornering

Bottom Line:
If you aren't pushing the limits on descending and cornering, then this is the tire for you! The rolling resistance is unsurpassed, and on climbs it is grippy enough to get the job done if you are careful with your weight balance.

Favorite Trail:   XC

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Fire XC

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS

Submitted by dgspark a Cross Country Rider from Tacoma, WA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2011

Strengths:    Light, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Sidewall

Bottom Line:
Keep these babies inflated to high pressure and you should be alright. Sidewalls prone to blowouts. Got less than a year out of these puppies at very minimal use and blew them out twice landing hard on a sidewalk to street transfer.

Favorite Trail:   Galbraith

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Just bought a SmallBlock8, we'll see. Kenda, Spcialized, Maxxis Crossmark front

Bike Setup:   Kona Hardtail- all custom and black

Submitted by Miki a Cross Country Rider from Belfast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2010

Strengths:    Great for rolling and most off-road conditions. Very good durability. Reasonably lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Thin sidewalls. Loose a bit of grip on loose dirt climbs.

Bottom Line:
Tyres came on bike in late 2004 and i'm only replacing them now. I usually ride the downhills pretty agressive for a hardtail and so long as there was a reasonable amount of pressure in the tire i never punctured.
Quite easy to puncture under 30psi but the grip is predictable and long lasting.
Reccommend these tyres.

Favorite Trail:   Djouce Woods, Wicklow

Purchased At:   McConvey Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Michelin wildgrip'r
Panaracer fire xc

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC Carbon/ Alu composite.

Submitted by bholton@apotex.com a Cross Country Rider from Ancaster, Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2010

Strengths:    Fast rolling, great cornering, and very grippy over all sorts of terrain.

Weaknesses:    Treadlife if you ride them on the road too much.

Bottom Line:
Awesome tires. I am currently riding the 2.3 version. I have ridden the 2.0 version as well. Both tires are comparable. The 2.3s can be run lower pressure and are great for snow packed trails.

Although not recommended for wet or muddy conditions, being in Ontario you get plenty of both. The tires have performed beyond expectation given the recommended conditions of dry hardpack. This is a great alround tire.

Climbs like a mountain goat on loose, hardpack, even slick clay surfaces. Cornering is outstanding. The 2.3 is a great tire for winter use, never used studded tires, never needed them with these.

Durability is great. These tires have been ridden through rock gardens with no sidewall issues. Treadlife is good, keep them off the roads as much as possible.

These are the only tires I currently use. 2.3 or 2.0 They are predictable fast rolling tires that will give you the confidence to hit everything the XC trail throws your way.

Favorite Trail:   Bent Rim

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer smoke/ dart

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance 1 - Stock except Raceface Deus cranks

Submitted by aguz_advincula a Cross Country Rider from Michoacán, México

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2010

Strengths:    Very good traction at road and loose lil rocks, good feeling with lower psi

Weaknesses:    the sidewalls (They r weak as butterfly wings)

Bottom Line:
I got almost killed in the first ride:
early in the morning i pass to gas station to check the air in my tires (phython tubeless in front, irc mythos back) (note i used this two with inner tubes) i thin i put 36 psi in front and 45 in back and the python just blow the sidewall slip over the rim, i changed the inner tube and inflated to 30 psi and started to road 22 kms of up-hill road to my favorite trails and they feel good all the way but in the return to home i was going 50 kms/hr (31 or 32m/h) and the python just blow up again (thank´s god i didnt fall)and i have to walk 15 kms to home!!!!!
so my point is python r CRAP...Fck u hutchinson´s designers!!!!
Ps...SORRY FOR THE BAD WORDS BUT I WAS SCARE TO CRAP IN THE MOMENT!!!

Favorite Trail:   anyone

Similar Products Used:   maxxis, tioga, irc, bontrager

Bike Setup:   Iron horse maverick, deore crank, elixirs 5 front brake, lx hidraulic duals rear

Submitted by mbuguy a Cross Country Rider from Woodland Hills, Ca

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, low rolling resistance, good traction on hard, dry surfaces.

Weaknesses:    Poor grip in turns, don't shed mud, poor traction on loose surfaces.

Bottom Line:
These tires tend to loose grip in turns, on all surfaces. Decided to change them out after the front tire washed out for the umpteenth time.

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Dart/Smoke, IRC Mythos, WTB Weirwolf.

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem 3.

Submitted by Matt Robinson a Racer from Loveland, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2008

Strengths:    Good rolling resistance, tread lasts a while

Weaknesses:    Front tire washes out on corners with no warning.

Bottom Line:
I raced on these tires for a year. The front washed out multiple times and I lost all confidence in these tires. Switched to Continental Explorer Pro (much more predictable in the corners). Also would get pinch flats if I ran the pressure much lower than 38psi.

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Smoke/Dart

Bike Setup:   Macalu hardtail, 150lbs, run tires around 38-40psi

Submitted by Robert Hunter a Cross Country Rider from Ventura CA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2008

Strengths:    Fast Rolling

Weaknesses:    Weak bead & Side Walls

Bottom Line:
3 Rides in a row. I either broke the bead or punctured the side wall. Stan's filled in the punctures and was able to ride out, but still sucked. Granted, I am 210lbs and bomb down rocky sections. I ordered the tubless version in hopes for stronger side walls. Definately need tubes with these tires.

Favorite Trail:   Overlook-Backbone loop

Similar Products Used:   Hutch Spider Tubeless

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur. Stan's No Tubes on Mavic Rims

Submitted by Joey a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, Low Rolling Resistance (I weighed mine when new at 540gm)

Weaknesses:    Side grip. Wouldn't even think of using one on the front. Weak bead, Thin sidewalls.

Bottom Line:
I used Pythons years ago (with tubes) and found them to be very lightweight tires with excellent rolling resistance. They gripped passibly well in dry hardpack conditions in Colorado. (as a tip, I found that running the rear in the reverse of Hutchinson's recommended direction led to better climbing grip)

So, I recently saw that Performance was bringing back the "old" Pythons, which I was told had stronger kevlar beads and beefier sidewalls than the new version. Against Stans Notubes recommendations, I tried running the Python tubeless. I used the tire for 9 rides, which included 2 XC races, running about 30-35 psi. The shock absorption and the rolling resistance was excellent. Traction was very good too. Cornering grip was fair but it wasn't as much of an issue runnig it on the rear.

Then, disaster struck. I was on a ride, climbing a hill in my granny, when the tire blew off the rim! (I had it pumped up to 32 psi) Took a look at it and the kevlar bead had broken/failed. I was glad it didn't happen on a downhill! It was weird because the tire was under minimal stress when it happened.

Moral of the story. Don't run the Hutchinson Pythons (the tube versions) tubeless with Stans because they really do have WEAK KEVLAR BEADS which could fail at any time. I can't bash the tire because it's a good tire for running with tubes, under certain conditions.

Just thought I pass on that warning to all.

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Similar Products Used:   WTB Epic Wolf, Specialized Roll X Pro, Ritchey ZED Race, Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Bike Setup:   I used the Hutchinson Python (supposedly the old original version sold by Performance) as a rear tire. I ran it tubeless with Stans notubes on a standard (non UST) rim.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from North Augusta, SC

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2007

Strengths:    very fast. i mean, VERY fast.
fast on trails, fast on streets, fast on gravel. fast.
they are very smooth tires too, meaning i had a more cushy ride with them.

Weaknesses:    bad, bad cornering.

Bottom Line:
i've heard that this is the top of the line tire for XC. i see the advantage with it being so fast, but that's it's main pro.
i've taken turns with these and wiped out HARD. not even sharp turns, just leaned into it and the next thing i knew, i was on the ground bleeding.

if you aren't into riding too hard, just like to go enjoy a trail at your own pace, these will be good because they will get you around quick and keep you comfy. but if you get too much speed, you'll probably fall when you lean into a turn.

Favorite Trail:   Modoc(Steven's Creek)

Bike Setup:   Gaint Anthem 2006

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2006

Strengths:    Rolls Real Fast. Used To Have Panaracers So Big Difference. Looks good. Quiet on the pavement. Ummmmmm. Did I mention they roll real fast.

Weaknesses:    Don't take turns to fast I've only had em wash out once and I weigh 170lbs. Only had one flat and I am running them tubeless and that was before I added the Stan's Sealant no problems now.

Bottom Line:
If your not riding in sand or mud or rocks.Get these tires. Not sure how they handle rocks, this is Mississippi ;-).

Favorite Trail:   Bonita Lakes/Clear Springs Tie

Purchased At:   Bobs Bicyle Online.

Similar Products Used:   Back in the day I tried a set of Rictey Speedmax's they didn't grip at all.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 Frame
Mix of XT/XTR
XT/XM819 Stans
Marz EXR
XTR Vees

Submitted by clive de sousa a Racer from Orlando

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2006

Strengths:    I rode a 8 day stage Race in africa with them and no flat. www.cape-epic.com
perfect in lose sand and roll well on tar roads.

Weaknesses:    Not the best in sticky mud.

Bottom Line:
Great as a all round tire, versatile and reliable.

Favorite Trail:   the ones I find myself

Purchased At:   www.glorycycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Michelin.

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Ozeti with XTR and Mavic Cross max

Submitted by sckotty from TX

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2005

Strengths:    Look Cool, well made, fast roller

Weaknesses:    traction breaks away in fast turns on semi loose course.

Bottom Line:
I have ran three different brand tires over the same course and the Pythons are fast but very poor in hard truns. I have bit the dust more time in one week then I have in a hole year with these new pythons. Even at differt psi they loose grip in fast and hard turns. My WTB Mutono rapotors I just took off handeled much better and roller the same. Save your $ unless looks are every thing. They do look great. To bad they dont handle as good as they look. I have gone thourgh 2 pair of Mutano rapotors and I though I would try a new brand and style.