Hutchinson Mosquito Air Lite Tire

3.45/5 (31 Reviews)

super light tire for superior efficiency.It's casing and weight favor quick climbs and aggressive bursts of speed.

Submitted by mblangbehn a Weekend Warrior from Tenino, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2011

Strengths:    Great traction, sticky soft compound, clears the worst mud (including clay) with no problem, sticks to wet roots and rocks well, fast rolling

Weaknesses:    sticky soft compound may wear fast

Bottom Line:
I use this tire as my front only. I live in South Western Washington State where conditions are complete slop from about the end of September until mid to late June so finding the right tires can be a nightmare. My friend had this Mosquito Air Light 2.3 laying around so I took it off his hands wanting to try a 2.3 anyway. I was using WTB Velociraptors which worked good in about everything except wet clay and the really sloppy mud in which the front would try and wash out closely followed by the rear, so pretty much no latteral traction to speak of in those conditions which is normally more than half of my ride. Changing to the 2.3 Mosquito Air Light has taken away almost all of that, obviously nothing is going to be perfect in the goopiest of conditions but this thing is close. The front tire tracking better has even resulted in the rear tire doing better, but I've recently changed to a 2.3 WTB Exiewolf in the rear which so far has made it even better (I'll review it after a few more rides). The other really nice thing about this tire is that it hangs onto wet roots and rocks with little or no slipping and dang it rolls fast.

Favorite Trail:   Green line 6

Purchased At:   new from a friend

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC, Dart, smoke, WTB Alligator, WTB Velociraptor

Bike Setup:   Turner 5 Spot, Zoke Z1 FR SL 130, Mavic Creossride Raceface Ride Cranks, M585 Shifter/Brake lever combo, M525 brakes, Juju M90 derailure

Submitted by Barkleyfan a Cross Country Rider from Iowa

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2008

Strengths:    traction, weight, rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    wear

Bottom Line:
Man these things stick. I weigh 235, run them at 35psi with Slime tubes. Never a pinch flat, in fact, never had a flat at all with them. Technique I guess. I've run them from Big Bear, to Bakersfield, Flagstaff and Sedona, to Sugarbottom Iowa and Kettle Moraine Wisconsin. I've squeezed 5 years out of these tires, and I finally have a semi-slick on the rear, but it still grips hardpack like mad. Pavement is not their friend, and you can watch them disappear on the road. My semi-slick Mosquito still outclimbs the new Mythos XC on my Trek on the same trails. With good tread, they grip everything but the greasiest mud, and a slide is predictable and easy to control, something that drove me away from the Panaracer Smoke, which is real grabby in a slide.

I give them 4 for value because of the wear, but 5 for overall, because I've never found anything else that works as well at both ends of the bike.

Purchased At:   http://finishlinebik

Similar Products Used:   smoke/dart, Z-Max, Psycho K/TT, velociraptor, wierwolf, Mythos XC, and a few others

Bike Setup:   2003 Giant Rainier

Submitted by Hoba a Cross Country Rider from Czech Republic

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2008

Strengths:    Great on mud or snow.
Extremely light

Weaknesses:    Wears out extremely fast
Punctures after almost every ride.

Bottom Line:
They came stock on my Mongoose bike, once they were new, their performance was excellent on mud or snow. I could ride up a steep snowy hill with no problems, where others could barely walk. Mud or offroad also good. BUT this applies only when the tire is new. You can almost watch how it worns out during the ride, and after ~1500 km they became virtualy worthless slicks. I also had punctures almost after every ride. When you use them where they are expected to be used, they perform good. But they are a bit overpriced according to their low durability.

Purchased At:   stock at Mongoose bi

Bike Setup:   stock Mongoose Wing Elite

Submitted by bennyjekyll700 a Downhiller from Elk,WA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2008

Strengths:    they corner pretty well and have good climbing traction.
they role well also

Weaknesses:    they pop easlily and man there thin. Oh did i mention they wear VERY fast

Bottom Line:
OK tire, good traction i would'nt buy them but there ok

if you have them on your bike, wait untill they wear out and get better ones

Favorite Trail:   Cherry hill in Coeur d 'Alene ID

Purchased At:   came on my '02 jekyl

Similar Products Used:   some japanese brand i dont remember what they were

Bike Setup:   '02 jekyll with lefty and magura clara brakes (not the best brakes they are terrible) and a bunch of other goodies

Submitted by Keith a Cross Country Rider from Wilmington, nc

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2007

Strengths:    Good tires

Weaknesses:    You have to run them at high pressure

Bottom Line:
You have to ride these tires at high pressure I ride mine at 80 psi you bounce but they ae fast and you don't notice the roots if you skim over the tops of them. Try riding fast down stairs. Of course you are going to get a pinch flat running a fast aggressive because it's fast tire at low pressure. I recently switched to XC fire pro and they suck ass they are so much slower it's painful to think about my old mosquitoes and how they would bounce gracefully from line to line. the XC pros have better traction but I'm not sure if that's because they are that great or because I can't get going nearly as fast without mashing the pedals.

Submitted by Lowell a Cross Country Rider from Brunswick, ME

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2007

Strengths:    Super light, corners pretty well in the front, haven't had any pinch flat issues (again for the front) Presumably rolls fast, though I couldn't tell the difference.

Weaknesses:    Wears super fast.

Bottom Line:
I originally bought a pair of the mosquito air lite's but had to replace the rear after about a week because it wore rediculously fast. The front has been on for a year and it has generally not let me down. No pinch flat issues, grip seems fine, and I feel like my bike's pretty quick, though that is a combination of everything else as well as the tires. Overall, they're not great for general trail riding, but for xc racing they're pretty good. Oh yeah, they're REDICULOUSLY light. High value rating cause I got them dirt cheap on eBay.

Favorite Trail:   Bradbury Mountain: Tryon Mountain Trail

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Michelin wildgripper, Michelin country trail. Michelin tires are generally pretty good.

Bike Setup:   Jamid dakar sport 1997. lx/xt drivetrain, manitou skareb fork, cane creek ad10 shock, crossmax/crossride wheels.

Submitted by colin a Cross Country Rider from Albury. NSW. Australia

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Durability, not for aggressive singletrack or rockgardens

Bottom Line:
These came with my first mountain bike(mongoose LTD hardtail). It was summer when i was using them and many flats due to thorns and rocky singletrack made me purchase the IRC's(my riding partner and brother-in -law also had the same problem with his)Put them on my Jamis after doing a firetrail race with the IRC's which is not far from my house to see the differance. I am not a shaved leg lycra wearing racer and only went in the race for fun, but even i could tell the differance. The first half of the race is mainly climbing and that is where these tyres came into there own.I was not changing into the lower gear that i did in the race and did not get off and push like i did (and others) on the steeper parts of the course. I didnt time myself but it sure felt as fast with less effort with these tyres on.
Bottom line. Use them for there intended purpose and recommended inflation rate. These are for use on dirtroads or smooth terrain. They are quick. If you use them around town they will wear out in no time and not have the grip as road tyres.
To remind me of this i left them on for a night ride on singletrack with a few rocks and it wasnt long before i was changing yet another tube.

Favorite Trail:   Nailcan Hill

Similar Products Used:   IRC Trailbears 2.25 front IRC Kujo XC 2.25 back.Maxxis Minions

Bike Setup:   2004 Jamis XLT 1.0

Submitted by Thomas a Racer from Canberra, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Everything else!!! Product testing time less than 1 month because they wore out before then (and I kinda chucked them out after 2 weeks)

Bottom Line:
Thought I'd try these because they were so lightweight. BAD, BAD, BAD idea. Thin sidewalls, no grip, not at all durable. STAY AWAY FROM THESE. I'm a XC racer and had these at the recommended pressure and got pinch flats front and rear off a drop no more than 1/8 the height of the wheel. Thought it was my tubes at first but tried different tyres with same tubes and no problem, even off bigger drops.

Don't let me fool you, I'm a 55kg 14y.o. so no overloading weight issues there. Don't touch these. Go for the supermarket tyres, they're better! Braking and turning isn't very good either. SEVERELY LACKS GRIP WHEN CLIMBING, I'm getting wheel spin on grass slopes I mean come on Hutchinson, get it right!!!

If you got these on a bike, replace them as soon as they've worn out (give it a month). You are wasting money if you buy these!

I don't even want to rate these, they've got 0 chillis in my opinion but I have to so you can read this.

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis, Continental, Michelin, Bontrager, WTB, Specialized

Bike Setup:   2006 Specialized Enduro S-Works

Submitted by jeff smith a Cross Country Rider from kentucky

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2006

Strengths:    light and fast

Bottom Line:
i have to stick up for hutchinson here. this is a LIGHT WEIGHT cross country tire! not a free-ride huckin stair jumpin urban assault tire. use the products in the manner in which they are inteded and you will achieve the intended results. hutchinson makes awesome tires if you suit your riding style to the appropriate tire. you cannot ride these at 20psi on the freakin pavement. i'm 6'1" and weigh around 190lbs and i run several hutchinson airlight tires on a hardtail on some pretty varied terrain. with 38psi and specialized turbo tubes i get incredible traction and very very few if any punctures and no pinch flats. don't diss a tire because you can't pick a line and you require a 900 gram downhill tire to ride down the street. damn!

Favorite Trail:   caesars creek

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   yeti arc decked out

Submitted by Noel a Weekend Warrior from Sydney

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2005

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    thin sidewalls

Bottom Line:
Came with the bike. Used it for a while but found I kept getting flats. Thought I was doing something wrong but when I tried other tyres that I have I had no problems. Put these back on and got flats again. Not overly confident in the product although I haven't yet thrown them out. I'll keep them as spare but am wary of continual, exclusive use.

Favorite Trail:   The one for bikes

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Kenda, Tioga, Maxxis, Geax

Bike Setup:   Felt frame, Alex doublewalls, Deore stuff...

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Uxbridge, Ontario , Canada

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2005

Strengths:    uhh, they're light...yeah that's about it.

Weaknesses:    way too much space between knobs, easy flats, weak sidewalls, quick wear on most surfaces, especially pavement.

Bottom Line:
any tyre where you can almost watch the tread fading en route to the trails isn't worth this hefty price tag, and since there is so much space between knobs, when it goes bald it LITERALLY goes bald, like on the edge between semi slick a slick. these things make a bike painfully unridable because there is no traction. and as many already know, having these tires make you slide out every corner, and walk up every hill isn't cool. not cool at all.

Similar Products Used:   trek Big Kahuna, specialized roller, kenda k-rad

Bike Setup:   stock on my jamis dakar sport

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Syracuse, NY USA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2005

Strengths:    Light (as the name suggests), low rolling resistance, well-distributed knob placement

Weaknesses:    Ahh, where do I begin...
1) Too much "exposed flesh" between knobs
2) Weak compound-Broke knobs constantly, and would wash out on power corners
3) Super-thin sidewalls-I am amazed at how thin the walls are...never seen side walls so weak. Even at higher PSIs I had trouble cornering confidently without the tires folding.
4) Pinch flats-over the past four days (three of them being riding days) I have been through three tubes because of pinch flats!!! Three tubes...three days!! and two of them blew at the same time (front and rear) while riding on flats.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line...if the tires come stock, use 'em through your first two innertubes and then ditch 'em. If you find yourself replacing your third tube, then you're in the red and wasting your money. Upgrade to something with thicker sidewalls-anything is better than these. Upgrade to some raptors, which is what I'm going to do. I usually don't rant and rave, but these tires blow. Save yourself some money in tubes and frustration in walking your bike out, and upgrade when you get a chance. -A very bitter and dissatisfied rider

Favorite Trail:   Highland Forest

Purchased At:   LBS on a Jamis

Similar Products Used:   None so crappy as these...would take Walmart tires over these.

Bike Setup:   '04 Komodo FX, Deore front and rear, '01 Noleen Mega Air fork, WTB seat, with a Ritchey long-neck stem

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Old Town, ME

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2005

Strengths:    Mud, gravel, rocks, roots, dirt

Weaknesses:    Wet roots and rocks

Bottom Line:
This is a great all around tire. Very fast, very light. Not loud on pavement really for as knobby as it is, gets louder in turns though. Rips the mud and clears it well far superior to the velociraptor at that. On par in all other categories with the exception of wet roots and rocks. Doesn't have the stability the raptors have. Overall a solid tire that can be found for a very nice price. This tire is at least worth a try to see if it fits your style, fits mine quite well. Great value, pretty decent overall.

Purchased At:   Greenfish

Similar Products Used:   WTB Velociraptor

Bike Setup:   Fisher HKEK, Shimano XT componentry

Submitted by Tom Becksted a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2005

Strengths:    Super Light

Weaknesses:    Not puncture resistant at all!

Bottom Line:
They came stock on my Giant and are extremely light weight. Out here in the desert though, we got lots of cacti, barbed stickers, & general terrain that's not very tire friendly. Within 2 weeks I had multiple flats on the front & back tires (even with Supergaurd in the tubes).

I think in the right terrain these could be great tires for the weight conscious & frugal riders. I had to replace them with the Velociraptors though.

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy Island

Purchased At:   Stock on '03 Giant Iguana

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Kenda

Bike Setup:   '03 Giant Iguana, XT/XTR,Cane Creek, blah, blah, blah

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Frankfurt, Germany

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2005

Strengths:    Light, they roll really fast, traction, excellent performance in wet / soft / light muddy terrain

Weaknesses:    Maybe durability, but I find it OK; loose of grip over wet Asphalt or Rocks

Bottom Line:
They are excellent light tires for wet / winter weather, they give optimal performance in thus conditions and extraordinary traction (except wet stones), exactly what Hutchinson says. I don’t think, they are only for racers; XC riders or weekend warriors can enjoy their high performance, low rolling resistance and “light feeling” also. Aggressive Freeriders, Downhillers should better use another tires.

I don’t think, they have a short life. I have ridden 1200 Km (750 miles) to date and I have shown no more wear than what I would consider to be normal. I don’t expect more than 5000 Km (3200 miles) from a tire, and I think, they will do it.

Ridding with them is a pleasure: low rolling resistance, large volume (they don’t feel like 2,0 tires!), absorbing, responsive, excellent traction, predictable by cornering or fast ridding…everything is good. Besides, I had only 2 pinch flat with them, although I ride always off road. I use them with 40 psi (as recommended by Hutchinson)

As resume of their characteristics:

-Weight: Excellent
-Rolling resistance: Excellent
-Traction and grip: Excellent
-Wet terrain soft: Excellent, probably the best tire I have ever used
-Wet terrain gravel, small stones: Excellent
-Wet Terrain hardpack: Excellent
-Wet Terrain Stones: Uhm, weak point, slide more than desired
-Mud: Very good…but they can’t do miracles, mud is always mud!
-Dry terrain soft: Very good, but they wear out quickly
-Dry terrain gravel, small stones: very good, but again they wear out quickly
-Dry terrain hard, stone: very good, but there are many better tires
-Asphalt: It is not their element. Very fast wear out, and better avoid wet asphalt!

In any case, YOU GET GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR: it is an off road XC tire. Using these tires in Asphalt / commute riding is like freeride with a road bike. Aggressive ridding is also not recommendable. In any case I can’t also understand, why some brands use it as original equipment in their bikes, because they are not all round tires.

I would buy them again and recommend them for every XC rider

Favorite Trail:   Every Single track

Purchased At:   40

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Highroller Exception, Michelin Wildgripper, many of Kenda and Onza

Bike Setup:   Merida Matts Speed 2003, Avid Single Digit 7 Brake levers, Shimano Deore LX 2005 Crankset, Judy SL U-turn

Any comment: Mosquito air lite w/Stan

I need a rear tire for a 60 mile race in mudy conditions, i'm looking for the mosquito but the light weight of theses tires affraid me. Should i get a scorpion Airlight instead. I use mavic XM819 rims and Stan.........Read More »