Hutchinson Cobra Hardskin Tire

2.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Hutchinson Cobra Tubeless Ready 26x2.25 HardSkin Tire. Multiple knobs to optimise the traction on dry trails. Low knobs on top for efficiency and low rolling resistance High lateral knobs: excellent grip that holds its line in turns. HardSkin sidewalls th

Submitted by angeldust a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2012

Strengths:    rock grip
hardpack grip

Weaknesses:    pieces of knobs break

Bottom Line:
This review is for a Hutchison Cobra 2.25 XC Marathon Hardskin Extreme Resistance Foldable tyre. I bought it on discount (25bucks)
The tyre is a 2.25 and it seems big enough. I did not spend too much time measuring it...
After a bit of use (abt 4-500 km) I weighted it on the scales and it came at 640 grams.
I used this tyre in areas like You Yangs, Lysterfield and single track around the Yarra Trail (all around Melbourne, Australia). These areas provide sandy soils, mud, rock gardens, hardpack and some loose over hard. It was used on the back.
First, the good. This tyre rolls pretty well, had pretty decent volume and it seems to grip pretty nicely on hardpack. I used it on asphalt, it did not roll as well as a 1.9, but then again... it's much wider.
I only punch flatted once (my fault, hit a kerb pretty hard with not too much air.
The tyre can definitely take abuse, i did not care much for/about it and trashed quite a bit.
The grip on rocks was awesome, it can climb incredibly well. also on off-camber rock it can hold its own.
Now the bad
It cakes up quite a bit in clay/soft mud. But then again, not what it was designed for.
The most dissapointing thing is that the knobs start showing quite a bit of wear. Not wear as in they are regularly worn, but bits and pieces from the knobs have been broken. I have not noticed a full knob to be broken, but penty of them are pretty broken at the edges, and so on. I assume that this is due to a harder compound (maybe?) that is supposed to make the tyre more durable. instead, by being so hard little bits and pieces break from the knobs at the edges when trashed around rock gardens mainly.
Over all, I am satisfied with this tyre. I expect it to last at least another 1000km, and take any kind of terrain I throw at it (including descending flights of stairs on a full suspension or going fast over rock gardens). For the price, it is a good value and if you need a rear tyre and can get it at 25$, it is definitely worth the money.

Duration Product Used:   5 mths

Purchased At:   some lbs

Similar Products Used:   wtb dissent, rocket ron, racing ralph, wtb motoraptor, hutchison iguana, bontrager xr1, etc.

Bike Setup:   full rigid giant.

Submitted by Donpepin a Cross Country Rider from Madrid Spain

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2011

Strengths:    Image?

Weaknesses:    Chines, manufacturing philosophy

Bottom Line:
I bought 2 units 26X2.1 stated on the side wall 54-559, once mounted they were smaller in volume compared to my previous Bulldog 54-559. After hours of research I found their 2011 catalogue and there they clarify their 26X2.1 as 52-559, in other words you buy and they tell you that it is 26X2.1 and in reality you have bought a 26X2.00 (illegal attitude in europe at least). As they are not clear on what they sell they won't be clear on the quality they offer, so the tyres went back to the shop and I went for Michelin wild racers 26X2.10 and they are 54-559.
In Europe it is literally impossible to contact their info site and if you are lucky to find them and try to ask them a question....no answer.

Purchased At:   Decathlon

Bike Setup:   MATTS

Hutchinson Cobra 29x2.25 Tubeless Hardskin?

Anyone ride 'em? How ya like 'em? Just installed them on Flows tonight and won't have time to try 'em till tomorrow. I'm wondering how they are on hardpack as that's what I mostly ride. It was a last minute decision as the Geax Saguaro TNT's I had bought couple weeks ago just didn't want to go ... Read More »