Hutchinson Barracuda MRC Low MX Casing Tire

• Reinforced lateral knobs
  • Small knobs for traction
  • Excellent cornering grip
  • Low rolling resistance and high performance

Submitted by Arkonbey a Cross Country Rider from Underhill, VT

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2009

Strengths:    hooks up nice on leaned turns

Weaknesses:    center knobbies a bit high for road sections over 25mph. Feels just a bit squirrelly.

Bottom Line:
I got this tire because it was on sale because I was desperate and damn was I surprised! First ride was not a good test as it was on wet rocks and what tire performs well there?

As soon as things dried out, this tire sure did shine. On the semi-hard pack of VT singletrack it hooked up like it was on rails. Being used to my worn out front, I found myself overcorrecting as this tire just locked into the turns. It washes out a bit in tighter, sandy turns, but lets you know pretty quickly before it does.

On, the rockier, mixed stuff, it was very forgiving hooking up whenever it came back to earth.

I haven't had a tire I had this much confidence in since the old Team Control. I went back to buy two more for the future, but they were sold out. I'll check and see if my LBS has any hanging around; this is a tire worth buying for msrp

Favorite Trail:   Maycomber Ridge or The Flo

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Last front: Specialized Resolution Pro

Bike Setup:   04 Marin Eldridge Grade steel hardtail. Marzocchi MX on front (with BB7). XT/LX/Deore drivetrain.

Submitted by TurboSN95 a Weekend Warrior from Wallingford, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2008

Strengths:    Great traction, look cool (treads), made my bike climb, turn and stop much better.

Weaknesses:    heavy... and kind of hard to put the tire on!

Bottom Line:
If you are looking to improve your climbing, turning and stopping with wet/damp weather. Get these. I loved them.... I tried these through ruts, rocks, roots, lots of leaves during the fall weather, and my confidence increased tremendously. They do have some weight, which you will notice at slow speed, but once you get going you will love them.

Would I buy them again? Probably not. I'd like to find a tire that has grip like these but don't weight this much. I would consider buying these as a "fall/winter" set though.

Favorite Trail:   Tyler Mill

Purchased At:   greenfishsports.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Roll-X, Specialized Fast Trak, Ritchey Speedmax, Geax Barro Mountain

Bike Setup:   '02 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR xc M4

Submitted by HG from Mass

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2007

Strengths:    Cornering grip, no squirm on rocks, cushy

Weaknesses:    Pricey. Maybe not the greatest rear.

Bottom Line:
Love this tire. Hutchinson advertises it as a dry-condition tire, where it does just fine...but where it really stands out is in wet weather. The Barracuda just digs right into wet loamy soil, and it will usually keep from slipping on roots and logs (which can be real killers on the East Coast). The cornering tread is very stable and sticks like glue when leaned into turns. It also handles surprisingly good on hardpack and pavement. The one thing to know about this tire is that the big gap between the center and side knobs means you have to commit when cornering, like on skis...you're either on the center or the shoulder, no middle ground. But if you commit and hold your line on the edge knobs, the tire won't let you down. This is a tire for folks who lean their bike like crazy while cornering-you know who you are. It's about the same size as the Enduro 2.3 I was running before, but with fatter knobs. Bigger than a 2.3 High Roller but with a very similar profile...if you like the High Roller and Minion, you'll probably like this tire as well.

Shortcomings are surprisingly few. I ran a 2.1 Barracuda as a rear tire for a while and didn't like it too much...felt slow and not as grippy as I'd expected. I haven't tried the bigger soft compound ones out back yet, but I think they might feel similar. Other than that, it's pricey and hard to find. I personally wouldn't run this tire on terrain that was mostly hardpack or rock, for those conditions I prefer something that's a little rounder with an intermediate tread pattern. But for wet/slick/soft terrain, this tire rocks.

Purchased At:   universalcycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Barracuda 2.1, High Roller, Enduro

Bike Setup:   Heckler, shocks, pegs...made for sweet jumps

Submitted by Ian a Cross Country Rider from Round Pond, Maine, USA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2007

Strengths:    Rolls easy, good traction as long as you're over the center knobs.

Weaknesses:    Transition from grip to (side)slip is in a heartbeat.

Bottom Line:
I wore out my Kenda Blue Grooves and bought the Barracudas because a review said "they don't pack up". The Barracudas are only marginally better in that respect. They roll easier and have great traction as long as you're over the center knobs. Once you're off center the tire seems to leap to the side. On loose grapefruit sized rocks you're playing roulette. It's not so bad as long as you lower your expectations appropriately. That first ride was a killer. The really annoying thing is the packaging recommends these for lose rocks!
Mud is a similar experience. Without any transition knobs when you try to cheat your way on the side of a ridge the slip is instantaneous.
I'm still riding them but I won't be investing in another pair.

Almost forgot. I'm using Stans no-tubes with no problems so far. I've run from 23 to 40 PSI. 40PSI is way to much for these 23 is a little low but they the sure feel much better.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Blue Groove 2.35 with Stick E, WTB Mutano Raptor 2.3

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler '07, Pike 454 U-turn Air

Submitted by Ben from Bozeman, MT

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2007

Strengths:    Works great in a straight line.

Weaknesses:    I had lots of pinch flats with this tire. Also, the front seems to wash out a lot in high speed turns.

Bottom Line:
When I first got my bike with these tires on it I was impressed with their performance. They seemed to grip much better than the Hutchinson Pythons I had on my previous bike.

Over time, however, I've learned that neither tire is actually that great. I'd had a lot of pinch flats with the rear Barracuda. The sidewalls on this tire are very soft. Traction-wise, it worked great in the rear. I replaced the rear with a wire-bead Nevegal 2.5 and I haven't had any problems with pinches since.

Now I'm shopping for a new tire in the front. The Barracuda doesn't give you any warning when it's about to let loose in the corners. I think the relatively square profile provides decent traction, but a very harsh transition from 'in control' to 'out of control'.

For reference, I ride in the Rockies (Bozeman, MT) on lots of roots and rocks.

Bottom line:
If you're lighter in weight and you keep it inflated more than you think you ought to, the Barracuda works great as a rear tire. Try to find a different front, though. It grips OK, but give you no warning or easy transition when it loses grip.

Purchased At:   Came stock