Hutchinson Alligator Tire

Weight : 780 g MSRP : $30.00

Hutchinson Alligator (black)

Submitted by Lugnutt20 a Weekend Warrior from Winter Park, FL

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2010

Strengths:    Great all around tire, they stick to hard surfaces and bite the hell out of loose surfaces.

Weaknesses:    Made to wear out.

Bottom Line:
Worth every penny and very light for an MTB tire. I am in the process of purchasing again as I stumbled across this site first in a google search.

Favorite Trail:   Little Big Econ

Purchased At:   David's World Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Smoke and Dart tires.

Bike Setup:   MTB but use on local paved trails as well.

Submitted by Gavin Holmes a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, Ga , USA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2005

Strengths:    Great grip. Nice cornering.

Weaknesses:    mmmmmm....

Bottom Line:
Nice for rear wheel use in wet Georgia mud. Excellent in the corner. Nice price.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Continental Vertical Pro

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro, Fox Vanilla 125RLC, Race Face DH cranks, XTR rear derailleur, Avid BBD7s.

Submitted by Jose Chavarria a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, Costa Rica

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2003

Strengths:    Excellent grip, makes you feel so sure and confident in dh.

Weaknesses:    The rear tyre just blow out after 3 months. It has about four holes in the surface.

Bottom Line:
I really love this tyre but I had to return to Michelin because the rear tyre didn´t work for me, best traction ever but it started to destroy in pieces and it has several holes in the surface. Front was perfect. I rode Michelin today and I missed the Alligators a lot.

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Wildgriper

Bike Setup:   Trek 4900, full loaded

Submitted by GlowBoy a Cross Country Rider from Portland OR USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2003

Strengths:    Fantastic mud grip and shedding. Very controllable behavior as a climbing tire. Grips wet roots and rocks as well as any tire I've used. Works decently in all conditions, including hardpack, loose sand, rocks, mud, you name it. This is my all-conditions tire, especially in back.

Weaknesses:    There are better choices for front tires in loose dry conditions (sand, gravel)

Bottom Line:
The 2.0 black Alligator is simply an incredible rear tire, and a pretty good front one. It's consistently rated as one of the best mud tires out there and for excellent reason. I ride in the Pacific NW, both west of the Cascades (think gooey forest glop or nasty clay) and east of the Cascades (think desert gumbo). This tire packs up less than others I've used (including the Survival ProTec) and has fantastic grip - both front and back - in any kind of mud or snow that is rideable. I run it as a rear tire year-round, and as a front tire in the wet winter months.

Best feature: when the rear loses traction while climbing, you can feel it gradually start to spin up and back off the power in time - contrast this with the Survival, which spins out abruptly and unpredictably, forcing you off the bike. It also rolls very well for such an aggressive tire and performs at least decently, and usually quite well, in ALL conditions. (Again, contrast this with the Survival, which though maybe a little grippier in mud, is very condition-specific, rolls poorly, and has poor traction on hardpack).

The only real weakness I've found (other than it's too heavy to be a true racing tire) is its performance as a front tire in loose dry conditions. I've had the front end wash out unpredictably in sand and loose gravel, causing crashes several times. No tire does really well in these conditions of course (except, interestingly, the Survival, which was intended for slop!)

Get the black model instead of the Gold, which costs more, weighs 100g more and may clash with your bike. I've used both versions extensively and do not believe there is any difference in performance. 5 chilies for value (especially for $17 at pricepoint), 5 overall

Favorite Trail:   This week? Gray Butte

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Alligator GOLD 2.0, Conti Survival 2.3 ProTection, Ritchey ZMax, Specialized Team/Dirt Control/Master, Geax Hook/Warp.

Bike Setup:   Early 90s KHS frame, built up as rigid singlespeed with Thudbuster seatpost.

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2002

Strengths:    good traction on the loose stuff, shed mud well, good cornering

Weaknesses:    none so far (maybe the retail price)

Bottom Line:
Good tire, probably have around 200 off road miles on em in mostly dry, rocky terrain. These are the same as the alligator gold only without the yellow stripe. They shed mud well and have great traction, I am now able to climb some loose sections that always made my specialized tires spin out. 5 flamers for value cause I only paid 12 bucks instead of 40 or 50 (am told bike tires cost a lot because they are hand made and have a hefty import tax) and 5 overall because they have been a great tire.

Favorite Trail:   hulls gulch

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   specialized

Bike Setup:   hardtail

Submitted by DAVID NORWOOD a Weekend Warrior from TRENTON , GEORGIA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2002

Strengths:    CLEANS AND GRIPS WELL, GREAT IN MUD AND LOOSE GRAVEL CHERT

Weaknesses:    KNOBS TEAR OFF

Bottom Line:
GREAT FOR MUDDY WET CONDITIONS AND LOOSE CLIMBS. GRIPS WELL ON ROCKS, BUT SEEMS TO WASH OUT JUST ALITTLE ON HARD PACK-CLAY. THE ONLY FAULT I CAN FIND IS THE KNOBS TEAR OF AND THE CORDS SEEM TO SHOW THRU AFTER ABOUT THREE MONTHS OF RELATIVELY HARD RIDING.

Favorite Trail:   OCEE WHITEWATER CTR. BENTON TN.

Purchased At:   OWENS CYCLERY

Bike Setup:   JAMIS DURANGO SX, JUDY ROCK SHOX DUKE, SHIMANO LX CRANKS, CANE CREEK THUD BUSTER SEAT POST

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Cincinnati, OH

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Strengths:    They shed baby!!!

Weaknesses:    None yet, maybe weight, but I'm not a weight freak.

Bottom Line:
These tires do better in the mud than anything I've been on. I took them out last weekend and it was extremely muddy (to the point where I got off the trail cause it just wasn't ridable). Anyway, these tires performed really well. I had all the traction I needed all the time and they never got caked up. Plus who can beat $12 each at jenson.

Favorite Trail:   Ceasar's Creek

Purchased At:   jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   Velociraptors

Bike Setup:   01 Fisher Paragon stock except Time ATAC pedals and now, alligators.

Submitted by George Triantos a Cross Country Rider from Farmington Hills, MI

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent for muddy conditions.

Weaknesses:    Heavy and rolling resistance on pavement (I should be on the trail not road).

Bottom Line:
For the money ($24/pr) it's a killer deal. So far, so good.

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Duster II

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth

Submitted by Kris a Cross Country Rider from Kelowna

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2001

Strengths:    This tyre grips everything!

Weaknesses:    Poor quality. Knobs are tearing off!

Bottom Line:
Maybe I have a set of lemons, but these knobs are ripping off!!!! Yes I do some rock/root/downhill/north-shore riding so I can see some damage but I have 5 knobs in a row ready to fall off. I've had to replace them as the tube was peaking out through exposed threads. This is on the front but the back is starting to show same signs. These came with my Cannondale SuperV700sx so I'm suprised they don't last more than 3 months.

Favorite Trail:   Crawford Trails - Vapour!

Submitted by Charles Coker a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2001

Strengths:    the best rear tire I have found for wet, muddy rocks

Weaknesses:    somewhat heavy

Bottom Line:
This is the best rear tire I have found when the trails get wet. Here that means mud covered rocks.

I run the 2.0 on the rear and while I know it's heavy, it doesn't really feel like it..

I run it on the rear with a Conti Survival Pro on the front
when it's nasty out and 99% of the Austin riders aren't riding, I can still go out and ride the most technical, offcamber, loose rocky trails around with this tire setup

I run front and rear at 35psi (I am 200) and no pinch flats

Favorite Trail:   anything with lots of rocks!

Purchased At:   hammerheadbikes

Similar Products Used:   everything

Bike Setup:   Racerx

Submitted by mark from Canada

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2001

Strengths:    average traction in wet and dry
predictable

Weaknesses:    they wear way too quickly
weak sidewalls

Bottom Line:
An okay tire.
Not worth the price.
They wear very quickly if you do any riding on road.

Similar Products Used:   irc,tioga, etc...

Bike Setup:   Raven2

Submitted by bob a Weekend Warrior from canada

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2001

Strengths:    nice wide tire good for mud and dirt wide nobs relitvly tough.

Weaknesses:    they wear a little quickly

Bottom Line:
these are great tires for mud and dirt and just allround riding try them

Purchased At:   my friend gave them to me for free because we were riding together and my other tires blew to shre

Similar Products Used:   irc

Bike Setup:   older kona with everthing upgraded to suit my needs

Submitted by Puzman a Cross Country Rider from Wallingford, CT

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Strengths:    Grip, grip, grip
sheds mud easily
pretty decent rolling resistance for a full knobby

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
I've been running Panaracer Fire's for the past 2 years. I just got a new rig and had these put on. So far I'm very impressed. I think the rolling resistance seems very reasonable on pavement; feels similar to Fire XC's. I haven't had them on hardpack yet (very muddy around here so far this season). They perform like champs on mud, wet rocks and roots, steep loose climbs, etc. No loss of traction whatsoever. These have a very round cross section, so the cornering feel is a little quicker than the Fire XC's. If these were 100g lighter they'd never come off my bike (when its a little drier out, I'll probably switch to Python's). Have only had them for a few weeks, so I can't comment on their durability.

Favorite Trail:   tyler mill

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Panaracer Duster II's

Bike Setup:   Titus LocoMoto

Submitted by Beast Boy a Weekend Warrior from Melb

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2001

Strengths:    You name it

Weaknesses:    Compound is a little soft but you get that with this kind of tyre.
A little expensive

Bottom Line:
Well, Lets see!!!! I bought this tyre yesterday and raced Dual Slalom today. This tyre rocked for it. There was no concern about washing out at all (Especially compared to my Tiogas). It was my first race and I managed to end up around the middle of the field. Mainly thanks to these tyres. Just go out and bu them.

Favorite Trail:   The jumps we built

Purchased At:   Flemington Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Tioga Psych TT & K & Edge

Bike Setup:   '98 K2 Proflex Beast

Submitted by Benjamin Gehret a Cross Country Rider from Las Flores, Ca 92688

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2001

Strengths:    shed Mud well. Great cornering traction. The 2.1's are as wide as a 2.3. These tires give one increased confidence on descents. Great traction on climbs

Weaknesses:    Tire wears out quickly. I wore a pair out in 6 months, even having swapped the front to the rear after 3 months. Frequency of flats increases dramatically as the tread wears down.

Bottom Line:
these tires are amazing for three months or so. After that, replace them. Best all around tire I've come accross, other than the premature tread life.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim, Moab