Hutchinson Alligator Gold Tire

Weight : 840 g MSRP : $30.00

Hutchinson Alligator (gold)

Submitted by Lugnutt20 a Weekend Warrior from Winter Park, FL

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2010

Strengths:    Great all around tire, time to buy more.

Weaknesses:    Built to wear out.

Bottom Line:
This is the best tire I have ever owned and the rubber compound resists dry-rot very well. I have owned them for 5 yrs now with approx 2k miles on them and still have decent tread left and am in process of purch again.

Favorite Trail:   Little Big Econ

Purchased At:   David's World Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Dart and Smoke tires.

Submitted by Mark Lasch a Cross Country Rider from Friendswood TX

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2003

Strengths:    Grips like a mad dog on a mail man

Weaknesses:    Grips like a mad dog on a mail man

Bottom Line:
I was able to climb better with the Allegator than my worn Mosquito rear tire...but the weight and drag were very noticible, to the point where you could feel the bike decellerating when not pedeling. I found myself to be more fatiqued mid way through the ride than I have been in months. That stunk!

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Hill Ranch

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Mosquito Gold, IRC Mythos K

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super V 900, mostly XT level with some XTR & Race Face thrown in just for kicks

Submitted by Jacques a Weekend Warrior from Beaumont

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2003

Strengths:    Grip,grip and more grip, very sturdy tire

Weaknesses:    rolling resistance, weight if you care about it

Bottom Line:
Confidence inspiring tire.

No longer made by Hutchinson. The new spider is lighter nearly the same but ligther, better cornering and faster rolling. I don't know about the wear. Time will say.

Favorite Trail:   the next one

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   steel stumpjumper frame, Z2 Bam fork. Does it matter ?

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from The Dalles, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2003

Strengths:    These tires seem to stick to slick rock better than any other knobby, they are tough, shed mud well, and handle the deep late season dust well. Also they are rated for 80 psi, which reduces drag if you want to do something silly like ride your mountain bike on the road.

Weaknesses:    How about a lighter weight version? When they start to slide sideways on a fast, dusty corner, the big lugs on the outer edge can catch abruptly...

Bottom Line:
If you don't want to switch tires all the time for different seasons or trail conditions, these are the tires for you. They excel in rough, rooty, rocky or wet conditions. If you were going to race a fairly tame XC course, I could see wanting somthing lighter with less rolling resistance.

I see they are no longer listed on Hutchinson's web page, and I hope they haven't been discontinued...

Favorite Trail:   Knebal springs/bottle prarie

Similar Products Used:   Assorted.

Bike Setup:   C.dale Raven 2 w/xtr, easton carbon, M959's, hope 4 piston...

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from State College

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2003

Strengths:    Great traction
Look cool

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side
Lots of rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
I got these tires to get me through the snow and ice on my way to class every day, and they came through in spades. I have no problem riding on snow, slush, mud, wet rock, or any other surface for that matter. The only thing they slip on is ice, but any non-studded tire will do that too. They're pretty heavy and slow on the road, but I don't even notice the weight when I'm on the trail.

Bonus: People checking out my bike as they walk by.

Favorite Trail:   Rothrock State Forest

Purchased At:   Nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   Kendas my bike came with

Bike Setup:   Ibex Alpine 350, pretty much stock

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, Florida, US

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Strengths:    Great for sand and marshy conditions, which is what Florida has a lot of.

Weaknesses:    After three months my back tire developed two gashes. I put them threw a real workout though.

Bottom Line:
If you need a lot of grip, and don't mind the excess weight, these tires are good. I've switched to pythons to try them out for a bit.

Favorite Trail:   Chubb - St.Louis, MO

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   H. Pythons

Bike Setup:   01 Fuel 80, judy fork,

Submitted by Richard Savior a Cross Country Rider from Portugal

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2002

Strengths:    good grip, hard to go flat, good for descendings, good looking, light weight.

Weaknesses:    thin sidewalls, wears out easily on road, must have the correct pressure.

Bottom Line:
Very good tires when not worn off, should be available in other colors (like red or blue). Only good for cross-country and trial maniacs, not very advisable for downhillers.

Favorite Trail:   Windmills

Purchased At:   Raposo

Similar Products Used:   Wildgripper Hot S

Bike Setup:   Grisley equipped with Shimano Deore, Rock Shox SID.

Submitted by Clout a Cross Country Rider from Montréal

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2002

Strengths:    Extremely good grip. Actually looks like a Mtb tire (if that matters to you)

Weaknesses:    Soft compound, so gets eaten by asphalt (not really a weakness but its worth to know). Could be lighter I suppose.

Bottom Line:
This tire grips like crazy. Wet roots, leaves, rock, you don't care. Just ride through and keep your ass on that saddle. I kept mine around 30-35 psi (size 1.85, weight 180). It seems that Hutchinson compound are sun-shy though. The tire's side kind of dryed up after summer and filled with small cracks, I wasn't careful and I let my bike under the sun quite a lot. so 4 bag of crap on fire for value (durability might be affected) but overall 5.

Similar Products Used:   Explorer Pro (conti), Ritchey Z-max, WTB Velociraptor, Survival Pro (conti)

Bike Setup:   Steel RM, Z-2, XTR/RaceFace.

Submitted by MountRealRider a Cross Country Rider from Montreal

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2002

Strengths:    The smoothest ride ever, very good on dry terrain, sheds liquid mud very good.

Weaknesses:    fragile sidewalls, super heavy! , clay-type mud sticks a bit... slides a little on wet roots an leaves, not so good as a front tire in those conditions

Bottom Line:
a pair of wire bead 1.80 gold: This tire feels like big felt boots, they mute everything, feel like you have added an half inch of suspension. If you do not race, and plan a long day on a dry rocky road, this is the feel good tire. I really love it in appropiate conditions. Even love the noise it makes. I will buy a 2.0 and use a pair on my Stuff in dry conditions. I got a slight cut in a sidewall before any other trace of use became visible.

Similar Products Used:   All major brands of tires

Bike Setup:   Bontrager Privateer, Cannondale F200Sl, Kona Stuff

Submitted by DCS a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2002

Strengths:    Traction, traction, traction. Rolling resistance is surprisingly low given aggressive tread.

Weaknesses:    Bit heavy, cornering is a bit slow

Bottom Line:
Outstanding traction in all conditions and appears to be quite durable. Sheds mud well and can handle terrain that other tires cannot. You can clear hills that you never could before. My only criticism is that the tires have a very square, flat profile -- which probably aids the traction -- which makes the cornering a touch sluggish, although cornering traction remains excellent. I guess nothing is perfect in life or riding . . . . Purchased these babies at Jenson for $12 each -- great deal.

Similar Products Used:   Pythons, MOFO XC, Bontrager, Kenda,

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X

Submitted by CHUCK COOK from NASHVILLE,TN.U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2002

Strengths:    IT HOOKS UP GREAT WHEN IT'S WET.ON ROCKS,RUTS,LOGS.IT ALSO HOLDS GREAT ON HARD PACK.THIS IS THE ALL AROUND TIRE.

Weaknesses:    NONE AT ALL.

Bottom Line:
HUTCHINSON TIRES ARE THE BEST ON THE PLANET.I RUN THE MOSQUITO GOLD ON THE FRONT WHEN IT'S WET OR DRY.THEN I RUN THE PYTHON ON THE REAR WHEN IT IS VERY DRY OR ON HARD PACK.BUT THE ALLIGATOR IS THE BEST FOR WET AND SEMI-DRY COND.IT IS THE BEST TIRE WHEN YOU HAVE TO RACE IN THE MUD.IT SHEDS MUD VERY WELL.THE BOTTOM LINE IS.YOU NEED TO GO OUT AND GET YOU SOME OF THE GOLD GATOR.

I RATE THIS GATOR WITH 5 FLAMIN CHILI'S

Favorite Trail:   LOCK-4.&HAMILTON CREEK

Purchased At:   CAMBRIABIKE.COM

Similar Products Used:   PYTHON GOLD,MITCHLIN HOT-S

Bike Setup:   MARIN PINE-MT.XT ALL THE WAY,BONTRAGER RACE LIGHT STEM,PROFILE FLAT CARBON BARS,ROCK SHOX SID,SELLA ITALIA FLITE TI GEL SEAT,THOMSON SEAT POST,SHIMANO 959 PEDALS,AVID DISC BRAKES,AVID FLAK JACKET CABLES,SHIMANO M-575 DISC WHEELSET,HUTCHINSON GOLDS ON FRONT AND REAR.

Submitted by Sprocketeer a Cross Country Rider from Narashino, Chiba, Japan (Native New Yorker)

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2002

Strengths:    Cuts through, grips, and sheds anything. This is the only TRUE all-terrain tire I've ever tried. I've used two sets in two years without any problems at all.

Bottom Line:
Even if your bike is not a race worthy machine (and only 5% of all serious riders really need something like that), these tires will make a world of difference in how it performs. To criticize that they don't help you go faster is rediculous because I know of few other tires of this size which can be pumped up to 80psi.

I've ridden on paved flats at 55 kph on these tires and as far as I'm concerned there is no other mountain bike tire out there which can do the same. On my old tires I'd probably be chugging air at 35 kph. (If you're moving too slow it's probably because of the shocks.)

I've ridden these tires in and on everything from pavement to deep mud and even in the middle of typhoons (I actually like to ride in typhoons) with water up to the hubs. These tires don't slip--ever! If you're slipping on these tires, it's not the tires that are slipping, but the ground you're riding on.

Another thing: these tires are silicon based, which is why they shed absolutely anything and clean off so easy. When I come in from a ride, and look as if I've been rolling around in the dirt for hours, my tires still look like I bought them a week ago.

Once I was riding along when I heard a nasty sound coming from my wheels and stopped to check it out. A number of steel spikes had gone right through the tread of my tires and knocked against my frame, but didn't pierce through the actual tire itself. I was very impressed.

If you don't know much about tires, and don't know what kind to buy for the type of riding you do, or you do all kinds of riding, get these because they'll preform outstandingly anywhere you want to go.

Flaming chilis galore!

Favorite Trail:   I like it rough and dirty, baby!!

Purchased At:   Seo Cycle at LalaPort, Tokyo Bay shopping mall in Chiba-prefecture (Funabashi)

Similar Products Used:   These are my first kevlar/silicon based tires--and the first that can be pumped up to 80psi--so I can't really say I've used anything like these.

Bike Setup:   No stock parts--Trek Cro-Moly, racing geometry frame, with racing level components--my own creation.

Submitted by Reaper a Weekend Warrior from Georgia

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2001

Strengths:    Grips like a mother.

Weaknesses:    Extreme traction. Don't expect these to be very fast tires.

Bottom Line:
I'm impressed. Tried to ride up a very steep hill, but lost traction. When I dismounted I found that I couldn't even stand on it. That was the only time that day I broke traction, despite the fact the trails were buried in pine straw. The other end of the spectrum from slicks.

Favorite Trail:   Anything dirt

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Bike Setup:   Giant Iguana, Manitou X-Vert, Thomson, Avid, Kore, Velomax...

Submitted by Dan W a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR USA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2001

Strengths:    Incredible mud grip. Good tracking. BIG volume for great flotation and shock absorption. Decent weight and rolling restistance.

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls seem thin. Tricky to put on due to flexible bead, but this is my first experience with Kevlar-belted tires.

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome tire for wet Pacific NW conditions. Took it on a 12-mile ride in Forest Park yesterday (it's December) and threw it at the deepest, thickest, sloppiest mud covered with decayed leaves that you can imagine. Climbed all the way to the top of Firelane 3 and back down (except one short 30-yard pitch I just couldn't muscle up in my 24:30 low gear). Climbed stuff as steep as anything I've ever done, and in gooier conditions, and these never broke loose. They don't pack with mud AT ALL either. Tracked straight and clean through mudholes, 3" of decomposed leaves over sticky mud, and over one 6" log. Does not slip on wet branches like other tires, even at an angle. In tricky situations I never felt like I was losing control. Holds sidehills well. Confidence inspiring. Can't wait to try these babies in snow, especially after my experience with lousy IRC Blizzards (what good are studs if your tread pattern that doesn't grip in snow?). Also can't wait to take them to the desert in the spring and throw some rocks, sand and gumbo at them.

This thing is bigger than 2.0" advertised. Usually I can put on 2.3"s but these barely fit. I ride a rigid bike, and at 40 psi these are almost like suspension. Rocks and sticks up to a little over 1" are not even felt! Should also be more resistant to snakebites with the large air volume.

I've always run tires with lots of tread, so these aren't heavier or slower than anything else I've used ... I don't know what the other reviewers are talking about there. What are they running, slicks? Slicks are for the ROAD. If these are too slow, the casing says you can put 80 PSI (!!!) in them.

If you need a good tire for "extreme conditions" (mud, loamy soil, loose rocks, sticks, stones, broken bones) this is the one for you. Get 'em while they're still on sale at Jensonusa. If these are too fat get the 1.8s. You'd need some kind of mutant bike to run the 2.3s.

If you need a fast rolling tire for hardpack conditions maybe you're trail riding and not really mountain biking.

They'd be 5 habaneros for value even at the $30 regular price. 9.5 chilis for value at $12. Also 5 peppers overall.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in Oregon

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com (yes, $12!)

Similar Products Used:   Many different Specialized, IRC Blizzard, Continental Spike (no longer made - not the same as Panaracer Spike)

Bike Setup:   93 Fuji rigid 21sp MTB, all DX gruppo, Mavic rims & 13x30 cassette for mtn riding, Sun rims, 13x28 cassette & Specialized Nimbus Armadillos for commuting, Time ATAC pedals, Specialized BG Comfort saddle

Submitted by jack a Cross Country Rider from kelso, wa

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2001

Strengths:    So far everything, Superb northwest wet weather tire.Awsome tracking over wet leaves and roots, sheds mud quickly, very sure footed.

Weaknesses:    None so far, I'm 6,4 @215, so I'm hopeing the sidewall probles does not happen,like stated in prior reviews.

Bottom Line:
Great tire, would highly recomend to any one riding in our area, or any wet muddy conditions.I especially like the front control for wet root navigation,also noticed good handling in off camber slick areas.

Favorite Trail:   milton,(trail of tears)

Purchased At:   bymans, bikes