Home | Reviews | Tire | Geax

Geax Saguaro Tire

3.75/5 (59 Reviews)
Weight : 650 grams MSRP : $50.00

The Saguaro strikes a beautiful balance of versatility and performance. Featuring a patternThat falls nicely betweenThe Mezcal andThe Barro Mountain,The Saguaro rolls fast and bites hard.TheTread pattern makes for predictable cornering on all surfaces andThe connected central knobs make acceleration and speed maintenance nearly effortless. Suited for applications ranging from XC racingTo big-hit slopestyle,The Saguaro isThe perfect do-it-allTire. Claimed 680 grams (2.0 size)

Submitted by chuyler1 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2014

Strengths:    Fast rolling and lots of climbing grip on hardpack, dry rock, and loose granular. Red walls draw lots of attention!

Weaknesses:    Cornering grip, braking grip, high speed tracking

Bottom Line:
I picked up the 29x2.0 tire (non TNT) from Nashbar because they were $20.00/each and had red walls. I figured it would be a fun cruising tire. On the trails of Southern New Hampshire it has strengths and weaknesses. I've been running them with tubes at around 28-32 psi since I weight about 195lbs. The tire is very fast in a straight line and offers tons of grip for accelerating and maintaining speed on flowing single track. I have yet to have the tire slip out under climbing. It does not offer any high speed cornering grip though. They lock up under heavy braking very easily (don't expect the rear brake to slow you down at all), they drift wide on even bermed corners, and they tend to choose their own line through rocky or granular trails. I haven't had a chance to use them in the wet but they do pack up and take a while to clean off when you go through a lingering mud puddle.

To make a long story short, these are great for logging miles on double track and relatively flat single-track. If you enjoy 1,000+ ft of elevation on your rides, you are going to want something that inspires more confidence on your way back down the mountain. Perhaps I should have tried the 2.2 tire instead...only if it came with the red walls :)

Favorite Trail:   Red Tail - North Conway

Duration Product Used:   2 weeks

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ardent 29x2.2, Continental Mountain King II 29x2.2

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tallboy LT (long travel trail bike)

Submitted by Hugh a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2014

Strengths:    Runs qiuetly on paved surfaces

Weaknesses:    It is a mud magnet. Riding this tire is like running on ice. It offers very little traction.
On a tacky surface, my buddy's Nevagals did not pick up any mud.
My Seguaros packed with mud and then packed my frame with mud.

Bottom Line:
Sorry I bought this tire.

Bike Setup:   Turner Flux

Submitted by ignition16 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2014

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, last forever, strong sidewalls, great traction on dry hardpack

Weaknesses:    TNT are hard to mount, not a light tire, packs up quickly in mud, wanders on loose surfaces

Bottom Line:
Here in West Michigan, this is the standard tire for me and plenty of my friends during the summer on our local trails. They won't win any awards for their weight (especially the TNT version), but the tire makes up for it in low rolling resistance and fantastic grip. The closely-spaced blocks allow for fast rolling and great grip on dry hardpack. I run them both front and back in the traction direction during the warmer months. I have had plenty of difficulty mounting the TNT version on a Bonty Duster and a Velocity Blunt, but the folding version isn't near as bad. This tire is a fantastic value because of both the low price and the fact that they last forever. Tires that have 750 to 1000 miles on them still grip almost as well as new, and appear to have very little wear.

Favorite Trail:   Arcadia Dunes

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Bike Setup:   2009 Gary Fisher Rig, 2013 Orbea Alma

Submitted by mahuan!

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2013

Strengths:    Good all-around tread, rolls fairly fast, predictable cornering. Reasonably light. Great customer service.

Weaknesses:    Bead seating issue.

Bottom Line:
This tread has been solid for me front and rear on dry, loose conditions, running tubeless on my rigid 29er single speed. It rolls fast, is predictable cornering and has good traction powering up steeps with loose, rocky soil. It's not the lightest race tire out there but the carcass holds good shape cornering.Coming from a 2.35 WTB Weirwolf to a 2.1, I didn't notice a change in comfort and control with the smaller diameter tire. It has been resilient for me over the season and several hundred miles.

The one issue I did have is a tire staying seated on my Stan's Crest rim. I called customer service and talked with Robert. He took the time to discuss the issue with me and sent me a replacement tire. Here's to great customer service.

Submitted by Stinky

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2013

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Second worst tire in more than two decades of riding - a LOT of riding...

Tread puncture in less then 30 miles on casual single track.

Bottom Line:
This is for a 2013 TNT Tubeless Ready Saguaro 26x2.0.

I've been mountain biking for 20+ years. I was in Mammoth in the at 80's... I've built more that $50,000 in bikes and logged one hell of a lot of miles. Raced XC to DH...

Tired of running heavy Maxis tires on my XC bikes, so I bought this tire because of its great reviews.

$70+ with tax (no better deal online w/ shipping).

Five minutes into its third ride today, literally less than 30 miles on this tire, while rolling a very mild, slightly rocky singletrack, the tread suffered a fatal 1/4 inch puncture!!

I'm in fit race shape and only 163 lbs, on a perfectly tuned Pivot Mach 4. Pressure was at 34psi, rear. I was NOT bombing DH or traveling at high speed on rocky terrain - just rolling along on the warm-up phase of a chill, low-tech singletrack, and I'll be damned, the friggin rear tire goes limp on me. I'm dumbfounded. Cos me an entire day - 3 hours round trip drive to TH, gas $$$, etc. After puncture, I just could not trust this crappy excuse for a tire on a solo ride into the backcountry. LESS THAN 30 MILES on this thing!!!

The ONLY tire that did me worse in decades was one I paid almost $100 to have imported from Germany years ago that completely lost its sidewall in the first hour of its first ride.

What a piece of crap. This tire is a disgrace. I can't believe so many people recommended it. If you ride where there are rocks, even super mild rounded limestone, DON'T buy this tire!!! You've been warned.

Buff, rockless race course? Perhaps.

Not me, though!

Duration Product Used:   Died on 3rd ride

Purchased At:   retailer

Similar Products Used:   Thousands f dollars worth in tires from 1980's to now. Maxxis, Schwalbe, Kenda, IRC, WTB, Intense, older GEAX, Conti...

Bike Setup:   Several. This was on a Pivot Mach 4 dream build.

Submitted by Nicklas Larsen

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2013

Strengths:    Fast rolling, fairly light, can take abuse, loves to be power pedaled

Weaknesses:    Hard compound makes it a bit sketchy on wet roots and rocks, foldable is crazy hard to get on the rim

Bottom Line:
Went from a Nevegal to this tire in an attempt to shed a bit of weight and roll faster. It hasn't disappointed. Love this tire. As I'm just getting back into biking after a hiatus since the late 90's I was a bit skeptical when this tire was put before me but I took the advice and purchased it. It was a bugger to get on the rim and after the first couple of rides I was ready to give up on the tire because of how much it slips on wet stuff. After some frustration on a ride with it's slippage I started "angry pedaling" and found this tire's sweet spot. Light mud, roots rocks, hard pack, loose, pavement....this tire just likes to be cranked on. Havent had it break loose when pedaling hard unless it's over wet roots and rocks and lets be honest...which tire doesn't? Great tire, love it.

Submitted by Brice

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2013

Strengths:    Strong tire with strong sidewalls. Worked great tubeless with Stan's no tube sealant.

Weaknesses:    Not good in wet, rocky conditions. Tires slip on wet rocks/roots even at low pressures (25 psi).

Bottom Line:
Came with the new bike and after one ride I switch to my favorite Maxxis Ignitors.

Submitted by Natedogz a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2013

Strengths:    Fast rolling, good volume 2.2" tire, strong carcass, reasonably lightweight, very long lasting. Ran these front and rear in speed direction on my Haro Mary SS.

Weaknesses:    A softer rubber compound would be nice, they are not good on wet rocks.

Bottom Line:
Good fast roller with decent traction, that lasts forever, but could use stickier rubber compound to improve wet rock traction.

Favorite Trail:   one I'm on

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Fast Trak, WTB Nano

Bike Setup:   Which one? :)

Submitted by Tns a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2013

Strengths:    Fast, great cornering, very predictable when it does loose traction on corners

Weaknesses:    Tends to suck pine needles and Spanish moss into drive train.

Bottom Line:
I am happy with the tire. It is well suited to the dry hard pack/sandy trails of FL. Trails here have a lot of tight corners and I bought these based on reviews that they corner well. Only draw back I have found is that on trails with debris I end up with crap stuck in cassette and derailleur cogs.

I would buy again if price is right (paid 30 ea)

Purchased At:   cambria

Submitted by wyo_biker a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2012

Strengths:    Good all-around tire. Have held up well over a season of use.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Overall, I have had good luck with this tire. I am running this tire tubeless on ZTR Arch EX rims. These are very easy to mount (no tools required) on Arch EX rims and sealed up without any problems using my air comprssor. I weigh 165 pounds and have been running them with 25-26 psi in the front and 27-28 psi in the rear. These are directional tires and I have them situated for "speed" in the front and for "traction" in the rear. I haven't flatted (but I am running Stan's sealant) or had a tire bead burp all season!

One thing that has really impressed me about this tire is how tough the sidewalls appear to be. I have banged into and scraped the sidewalls so many times on sharp rocks (I'll admit that I don't always pick the best line) that I thought sure I'd have cut or torn one but so far they have held up great. Maybe the durability is due to the low pressure I'm running - I don't know but I'm happy with the performance.

These tires roll great on hard pack or pavement if you find yourself riding to and from your favorate trail-head on a road.

Overall I am happy with these tires. We have had a very dry season this summer so I haven't had the opportunity to ride a lot of mud. I did ride Hermosa Creek in SW Colorado this season following a rain storm and the tire seemed to perform well on the wet rocks and roots.

The knobs on the tire have held up well for a season of use. Due to rear tire wear, I did rotate/swap the front and the rear half-way through the season but all the knobs appear to be intact.

If you are looking for a good all-around tire that performs well in a variety of conditions, I'd give this tire a try.

Similar Products Used:   Many, Panaracer XC Pro most recently.

Bike Setup:   2007 Rocky Mountain Element.

Submitted by Eddie a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2012

Strengths:    Tread design of the TNT version allows you to choose how you want to mount the tire. You can mount it for speed or for traction. I have mine in speed mode and it climbs very well and I have not experienced and issues so far.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Awesome tire and value for the money considering that similar tubeless tires cost almost twice as much and on the trail where it really matters I've seen those more expensive brands fail more than they are willing to admit. I did alot of shopping around and comparison review reading and in the end I feel very comfortable with the choice I made. I have them mounted on a Trek Fuel EX 2.2 TNT version.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Huck & Roll

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager XR3

Bike Setup:   2011 Trek Fuel EX 8, Saguaro 2.2 TNT rear and Gato 2.3 front .

Submitted by George Whalen

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2012

Strengths:    grip on anything. super tight fit on rims. BUUUUUT i did not soap up the tires or rims. THEN!! I DID. SUPER easy DUUUH!! Set up on tubeless ready no problem then i set up a tubeless conversion and it took no time with stans stem and juice. Had to dip the stem in the liquid but it's holding solid after the three hour ride today. These tire are great. Super fast rollers considering the weight. They are a heavier tire but add the side wall security. Excellent cornering over roots rocks and leaves. Very predictable and bomb proof. I'm running them around 30 psi maybe less.

Weaknesses:    none. Know how to ride a bike and you'll never complain.

Bottom Line:
would buy them again

Submitted by bala fernandez

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2012

Strengths:    great pattern...i ride in dry pack terrain, rocks and it really sticks to the trail.

Weaknesses:    would like to have it in 2.3

Bottom Line:
great performance and price $50...I used to pay $85 for Maxxis Cross Mark...no more

Submitted by Zoomie a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2012

Strengths:    I love this tire. TNT 29 version - great amount of sidewall strength while remaining relatively light. Tread pattern is perfect for Colorado scree, rock, dirt, etc... Low rolling resistance and great traction make this a great tire.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found one yet

Bottom Line:
Replaced my WTB Exiwolfs with this tire and saw an immediate increase in traction, speed, and handling. The TNT version was easy to put on my TLRs and I have had zero pressure issues for 2 years. I would be hard pressed to find a better tire. Wears evenly, good sidewall strength - a very stable and straightforward tire.

Favorite Trail:   Falcon Trail