Home | Reviews | Tire | Geax

Geax Revert 185 Tire

Weight : 500 grams (folding) MSRP : $44.95

• Designed for high-driving efficiency, the Revert feels at home on the road or on the trail.
  • Revert 26" are terrific commuting tires.

Folding 26 x 1.60 400g
    Folding 26 x 1.85 500g
    Wire 26 x 1.60 450g
    Wire 26 x 1.85 550g

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Ed Donohue a Cross Country Rider from Devon, UK

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2002

Strengths:    Great on the streets, very light for a semislick. Grips very well on gravel or tarmac

Weaknesses:    Prone to flats when worn out. But that's not surprising really!!

Bottom Line:
    I bought these on impulse when my local bike shop had a relocation sale, and I'm very glad I did. I need a compromise between a fast road tyre and something I can ride trails with (I have a set of WTB Velociraptors for the muddy stuff.) I have tried other semislick tyres, but found other brands heavy and really twitchy in the wet. These really are great, and well worth the extra compared to cheaper alternatives.
    In dry weather they stick to the road, making very little buzz, and are extremely fast on gravel (20-25mph on either surface requires little effort. The bottom line, they are excellent for me when I travel the 4 miles to work, and great when I take them off road for riding dry trails and forest roads. Don't buy them if you want to do a lot of riding in mud, or if you are looking for a tyre to last years and years (although mine have lasted just over 2500 miles), otherwise give them strong consideration.

Favorite Trail:   Leighwoods, Woodbury Common, Exmoor

Purchased At:   R+D Cycles, Cullompton

Similar Products Used:   Armadillos, Raleigh equivalent semislick

Bike Setup:   Univega Alpina 506, XT group, Marzocchi Z2 bombers

Submitted by Bob Bowné a Cross Country Rider from Red Bank

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2001

Strengths:    Nice fatty road tire..You like riding cushy fat boys over curbs, rough pavement etc..These are the ones for you.
    When they stay on my rims they are GREAT!

Weaknesses:    OK...I bought the Kevlar (foldable)Tires...and pumped them up just under the Rated value of 70psi. ie my tires were at 65 psi and I experience on numerous occassions my tires simply "blowing off" the rim. I had the correct tubes and my rims are rated for these tires. The bead appeared not to be significant enought to get an edge under the rim. The first time I just pumped the tire up and left it in the basement overnight ...in the morning it was completely blown off the rim. Have been working with bikes for 30 years...changed many tires and I do know that I put the tubes in correctly. After the firs blow off I started checking the pressure with two gauges just to be sure the pressure was correct.

Bottom Line:
    Well..I almost killed myself in Brooklyn on the Bike New York Ride in May. The tire exploded and blew completely off the rim and yup..I was riding on my $300 rim on one of the nastiest pieces of pavement the USA has to offer. Thank God I wasn't in a turn or the tire could have jammed in my wheel causing me to do an endo or something horrible. I just got a lot of applause from the sidelines for the grand explosion!
    Geax does stand behind their product..I sent the tires back to their US supplier and they sent me an extra tire and tubes..but I gotta tell you..they don't look any different. (I have a pare of Guex Arrojos for the woods and they are incredible tires. If you under inflate them they are ok...but that kind of defeats the purpose of a road tire.
    Anybody else having this problem jet me an email please.

Favorite Trail:   Hartshorn Woods

Purchased At:   www.bicycletires.com

Similar Products Used:   Continental Town& Country (wired).

Bike Setup:   Trek STP400
    Rolf Propel tubed rims.

Submitted by Erik a Cross-Country Rider from Oslo, Norway

Date Reviewed: June 1, 1999

Strengths:
    Light. Low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:
    Mud and loose stuff

Bottom Line:
    Great tires for hardpack, gravel roads, and anything else other
    than really loose surfaces or deep mud. Some washout in sharp loose -surfaced corners (hey, it a semislick,waddayou expect?). Lightning fast on the straights, so you generally regain lost time (and then some). If used as intended: Five chilies.

3 months