Home | Reviews | Tire | Geax

Geax Mezcal Tire

3.3/5 (10 Reviews)
Weight : 570 grams MSRP : $46.00

The Geax Mezcal 29 Inch Tire is fast becoming an XC race legend due to its light weight, low rolling resistance, and cornering performance. Geax uses proprietary polyamide threads and material positioning to achieve substantial anti-pinch-flat protection and cut prevention, which makes the Mezcal one of the best racing tires on the market.

Submitted by sam

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2013

Strengths:    fast, low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    horrible in muddy conditions, wet roots/rocks. bad on wood surfaces and slick conrete

Bottom Line:
Unfortunately my only experience with these so far has been in wet conditions and in an indoor bike park. Both left much to be desired. The only positive in both these conditions was that they are a pretty fast tire...but that does little when you have no confidence in the cornering ability. These things unexpectedly wash out on pretty much everything I've tried them on. I left them at 3 stars because they appear to be a very good tire for dry riding and they were okay when the ground was just a bit loose and wet. Outdoor, they are all over the place on any wet root, snow, and mud. Pretty much impossible to climb anything and downhill was just scary. Going into highspeed turns they completely washed out...like someone pulled the carpet out from under me. Indoor, they were okay, but again if i went into a steeply banked turn with too much speed they would slide out from under me badly..especially if area had some debris. Would take my Nevegals with with the stick-e compound for dh/fr any day over these

Submitted by Hal

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2013

Strengths:    This is a super fast tire. Really, really roll well in dry conditions. Peace of cake tubeless setup with Stans rims. I would recommend using the tire on rooty, fast hard pack ONLY.

Weaknesses:    Puncture ! Puncture ! Puncture! Three new tires this year, all three punctured on rocks within the same month of mounting the tire. Two tires in the same ride. Why did I choose to put them on this year? Best result I ever had with these tires mounted. On Dry, Rooty single track.Like I said, they roll super fast, but with a risk. This is my first internet review ever, because if you ride or race on rocks, Look elsewhere.. The weight savings is definitely not worth it. Good luck.

Bottom Line:
Super fast, great tubelessl, they hookup fine in dry- damp conditions.

Too light for riding rockier singletrack. Bad with punctures.

Submitted by Jose A. Bustamante a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2012

Strengths:    Rolls fast, real fast... came with my bike...

Weaknesses:    I'm going to be religious when going downhill, if you have rocks, or the trail is fast and curvy, do not use them, poor grip and vulnerable sidewalls, 3 flats in 3 weeks, and in low and high pressure, they don't mind, not jumping or doing crazy stuff, just rolling, even some Maxxis Larsen TT held a lot better...

I'll keep em for backup, and pavement rides... not much else..

Bottom Line:
Wild on the downhill, because of flats, front will not turne, bad washout on a rocky trail, never happened before!!!

Duration Product Used:   3 weeks

Purchased At:   trek superstore

Similar Products Used:   Kenda nevegal, Hut Python, Hut Spider, Panaracer, Maxxis, Michelin Wildgriper., Wtb Mutano, ..

Bike Setup:   Superfly 100 carbon

Submitted by chantheman84 a Weekend Warrior from Lakeland

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Strengths:    Very fast rolling tires,Very light weight,predictable feel

Weaknesses:    Could use more grip in the loose sand, but then you would get more rolling resistence

Bottom Line:
Really ecstatic about the performance of the tires,very lightweight and good on dry surfaces, fast rolling tires,but alittle loose on the climbs, and doesn't clean off mud to well but who really goes mud bogging on a super nice bike.
For dry trails with some rhythm and fast sections this is definitely the tires for me!!

Favorite Trail:   Carter RD,Fl.

Purchased At:   Leroy's Bikeworks

Similar Products Used:   ??

Bike Setup:   09 Specialized FSR XC Expert,03 Marzocchi freeride Z1 forks,Sun EQ25 wheels, Sram drivetrain,

Submitted by USATorque55 a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2010

Strengths:    Light, Fast, Cornering

Weaknesses:    Cannot climb at all.

Bottom Line:
Very fast tire for XC. They corner well and roll over most things, but don't try cranking up a big hill or obstacle because they will slip out. When they're wet, they really hate roots.

A decent tire if you're a fast rider who can carry momentum, but if you ever need lots of traction to get up a big climb or an obstacle, these tires aren't very good.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain

Bike Setup:   Marin B17 Hardtail

Submitted by Guido a Racer from Cape Town

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2008

Strengths:    Fast , very fast!
And confidence inspiring like my Nevegals without the rolling resistance....very good in dry hardpack, semi-rocky, sandy conditions.
Easy to seal with Joe's

Weaknesses:    Not so good in mud...but it was to be expected...so they will be my summer tyre of choice.

Bottom Line:
Set them up for speed front and traction rear....simply awesome!

Favorite Trail:   Jonkershoek

Similar Products Used:   Nevegals, Maxxis high rollers, Panaracers XC pro

Bike Setup:   Commencal 5.5.1 team

Submitted by Iwan Kemp a Racer from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2007

Strengths:    Fast rolling? Cheapish

Weaknesses:    No grip, rubbish tread
Lost traction in corners and sgl track. Gives away under high speed cornering

Bottom Line:
Used them in a race today to check them out and they are coming straight off again! I can say with absolute confidence that for me these are absolute rubbish!

Favorite Trail:   Eden / Delvera Blk Route

Purchased At:   Cycle Factory Store

Similar Products Used:   Kenda's, Specialized, Maxxis, Michelin,

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X Carbon

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2007

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance - this tyre is superfast!. Grip - the design actually works really well, in that the side knobs are very firm (unlike too many others), so when it is railed at speed they grip amazingly well for such a fast tire - on hardpack (as its designed for).

Weaknesses:    Tread wear is fine, but the casings just dont seem durable enough. I've owned a number of them (coz of strengths) but the casings fail - either the wire shows through inside (causing rubbing punctures), or the tyre 'bulges' if it gets worse, all with just not enough miles for me any more. I havent had a major problem with punctures; I check casings regularly now & replace them before total failure. In NZ they're quite expensive too (I'm average height & weight)

Bottom Line:
Fast as hell on hardpack - both straight & round corners, but just not durable enough - unless you use them as race only?

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis wormdrive (scary); Specialised: Rocksters (these did rock!), Roll-X (too slow on hardpack), Fast-traks (even slower, & poor grip at speed on hardpack); Kenda Nevegals (pretty good - but not as quick as these); old Michelin Wildgripper semi-slicks (v similar & great, but also not so durable)

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar Expert XC - stock, cept swapped risers for flat bars, & ditched Crank bros pedals

Submitted by Maarten a Cross Country Rider from Leeuwarden

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2007

Strengths:    - Great cornering;
- Good grip in drypack conditions;

Weaknesses:    - The Mezcal is far from being puncture proof;
- The tires are quite difficult to fit without wobble;

Bottom Line:
When mounting these tires, I had much difficulty with alligning them right. They wobbled far more than other tires.
I've spend a *lot* of time trying to resolve this issue, and I've fitted many tires to this date, but that didn't help.
Fortunately, after a few hundred kilometers, the wobble was pretty much gone.

On a dry trail this is an excellent tire. It corners exceptionally well for a semi-slick, has quite good grip and makes you go really fast!

Unfortunately I've had *many* punctures using this tire. I experienced this on tracks where I've never had much trouble before, using similar tires.
Last summer I totally ruptured my rear Mezcal. Though the conditions were pretty rough, I was still surprised on what happened and how drastic.

On the trail this tire earns 5 Flamin' Chilis. However, due to the poor fit (wobble-issue) and the many ruptures I've had, I only give it 3 Chilis.

For the new season I'm going to try the new WTB Vulpine semi-slick.

Favorite Trail:   Bergen - Noord-Holland