Home | Reviews | Tire | Geax

Geax Grido Tire

3.85/5 (13 Reviews)
Weight : 540 grams (folding)

• Front or rear tire with tall "paddle" style blocks widely spaced for greater traction in muddy conditions.
  • Small clefts for increased working edges.
  • Designed to handle soft soil conditions, especially deep mud.

Folding 26 x 2.00 540g
    Wire 26 x 2.00 600g

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by ed a Cross Country Rider from Enschede, Netherlands

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2006

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance on the road
    Ok grip on the backtire in a straight line (you cant expect too much for the price)

Weaknesses:    Horribly bad grip in the corners, you cant build up confidence with them (especially the front tire).

Bottom Line:
    Thes tires came with my 2nd hand bike. If i had knewn about their performance i would have asked for another set. I almost lost my back tire at high speed once on slippery mud and these are mud tires, enough said.

Purchased At:   Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson scorpion, Mythos XC, Schwalbe black sharks SX

Bike Setup:   Specialized epic 04 with some custom parts

Submitted by Brooks a Cross Country Rider from hilo, hi, usa

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2006

Strengths:    Very widely spaced tread.

Weaknesses:    The narrow knobbies rip off the tire too easily.

Bottom Line:
    These comments are about the Geax Grid 200 tire. This is the closest listing I could find. The tread looks like the picture, but I think it's deeper, and the sidewalls are seafoam color. As stated by others, these are fragile tires. I bought them hoping the widely spaced tread would grab in very loose conditions of deep dust, dust over hardpack, gravel and rock. Unfortunately any rocks absolutely chew these things up, by ripping the narrow knobbies off the tire. I think they probably do have decent grip in the sand and dust, but they just can't handle gravel or rock. They may perform well in situations where there is no rock/gravel at all. Fortunately they were on super duper $7 discount at nashbar.

Purchased At:   nashbar

Bike Setup:   Trek 820 all-rigid

Submitted by SGT. ROCK a Racer from Grande Cache, AB

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2005

Strengths:    Fairly light
    Insanely inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Performance

Bottom Line:
    I already have a set of great mud-specific tires - Geax Blades. But Nashbar had the Grid on blowout at $4.95 - a set of tires for less than $10.00! I bit.

The Blade is superior in mud. The Grid cleans very well, but the tread design doesn't grip nearly as tenaciously as the Blade. On the flip side, the Grid is a little better on hard surfaces than the Blade. Not a factor for me - I consider both a special purpose tire, so the Grid loses. High marks for value, but I can't see choosing this tire over the Blade under any conditions.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Geax Blade

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Strengths:    Good tread pattern - possibly still useful in a mud-only situation ... this is a very fragile tire!

Weaknesses:    Serious Durability issues. Very prone to pinch flats

Bottom Line:
    Whatever geax has changed with this tire in the past couple years, they have completely ruined it!

This is the stock tire that came on my Rocky Mountain bike that I bought a couple years ago. I thought the tires were incredible, and in fact the stock tires lasted me over two years with regular riding! When they finally were wearing thin, I made sure to order the same tires as replacements. At first the only difference I noticed on the new tires was the green sidewall. Apparently that is not all they changed, however. After only 2-3 weeks I have completely destroyed the new tires. Several lugs have already torn off, exposing fabric underneath. Also in the couple weeks that I had the new Grids on my bike I got a pinch flat almost every ride. I'm definitely not a heavy rider (140 lbs) and I don't ride anything that should be particularly abusive to tires. Geax used to have a great product, but whatever changes they have made recently, these tires are now pratically useless. I tried emailing geax to ask if I could have simply received defective tires, however they never bothered to reply!

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   Hardtail XC

Submitted by Ray Michalski a Cross Country Rider from Rohnert Pk. Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2002

Strengths:    Light, hook up well in hard dir.Ok in mud in the soft dir.

Bottom Line:
    I love these.....in soft dir in mud they are Ok. I liked the Comp-S better.......But in the hard dir. they are great.....climb good...roll well and are good on off camber sections.....Fast.....really fast.......Good on pavement......

Favorite Trail:   Marsh- Cobblestone Annadell

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Comp-S Panaracers

Bike Setup:   Schwinn S-10,sid fork, Xt-Bontrager wheels XTR brakes and Xt comp.

Submitted by Charlie a Cross Country Rider from Sunnyvale, CA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2002

Strengths:    light (they really are 540 grams) shed mud, grip well in soft conditions (wet soil, mud, sand), roll without much buzz on roads (surprising given the 5mm paddles on the things), easy to mount, no pinch flats at 40 psi (I weight 175)

Weaknesses:    knobs are quite flexible and squirm on rocks or in hard conditions.

Bottom Line:
    I would say that these are best tires I've had for soft conditions, especially given the low weight. I raced them at the Sea Otter last month and they performed very well. It had rained a lot the week before my race on Sunday and I thought things would be mucky in the single track sections. But the course was surprisingly dry this year. Nevertheless, the Grids gripped very well despite the tall knobs. Cornering was exceptional.

I don't use these most of the year because where I ride it's hardpack, gravel over hardpack and rocks most of the year. I usually ride Pythons or Bontrager ST2s because they seem to roll better.

If I rode the Grids all year round, I'd give them a four. But because I ride them only in the wet, and switch tires when it's dry, I feel the Grids are worth a five. Very solid performance. I grew up in NY and I would say that these tires would be great in soil that softer than hardpack.

Favorite Trail:   Soquel Demo - Braille

Purchased At:   Universal

Similar Products Used:   almost everything

Bike Setup:   Klein HT with Speedgoat conversion forks, mostly XT with Avid Shorty 6 on the bad (killer)

Submitted by DJ from North East

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
    A correction to my review: These tires are not run on my crossmax wheelset....but rather Mavic x517 / XTR and DT Swiss.

Submitted by DJ a Cross Country Rider from North East

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2001

Strengths:    -Price
    _Weight
    _Traction
    _Strength

Weaknesses:    _Only available in 2.0

Bottom Line:
    I couldn't get these things to break loose no matter how hard I tried, and I am a 200lb. very strong rider. What a GREAT tire, awesome value too. I do most of my riding in the Adirondak and Green mountain areas where you come across many different types of terrain, Grid's haven't let me down yet and I don't believe they ever will. I run them with the rear in the grip direction and the front in the hard direction. I have run the Warp/Hook combo in the past (also a very nice set-up) however the grid seems a little tackier and more precise in hard cornering. Buy em!

Favorite Trail:   Anything Adirondak

Purchased At:   L.B.S.!!!

Similar Products Used:   To many to list....have always been a big fan of Michelins though

Bike Setup:   Kestrel CSX, XTR, Crossmax

Submitted by Rod Baird a Cross-Country Rider from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2000

Strengths:
    Good all around tire, works wet or dry. Quite light. Predictable handling.

Weaknesses:
    sticky & thawing mud

Bottom Line:
    Brought this looking for light tire all around tire that would also hold its own in MUD. Well, they don't work on the sticky December mud around Pisgah National Forest here in North Carolina. They load up fast and don't shed worth a damn. OTOH - they are great on most other surfaces. They hook up well ( in loose mounting) in soft conditions. I've ridden some off camber wet rock traverses without any rear end squirm. When they lose traction, you aren't surprised. So far I haven't had any front end lock-up under heavy down hill braking pressure - a reassuring feature. They are very thin and flexible so I've had to keep tire pressures above 45psi to avoid pinch flats. At a price less than $20 on the internet, they seem a great deal for a sub 540 gm. kevlar bead tire.

Specialized (lots of variations), Ritchy Z Max, continental

Specialized FSR-XC

Submitted by Chad Knisely a Cross-Country Rider from Chardon, Ohio

Date Reviewed: December 22, 1999

Strengths:
    Great quality, and light for such an awesome driver, superb traction in all conditions, and lets not forget the cool green sidewalls that just happen to match my frame color.

Weaknesses:
    Not so good on roots but, find me a tire that is.

Bottom Line:
    Remember, the key to great traction is small nobbies that will provide many working edges and they penatrate the surface better then a big fat nobby will. It is the edge that provides traction not a big flat surface so the more edges the better the traction. Knobby height is also important, too tall equals too slow. The Grid is the epitomy of the above concepts. A perfect balance, if you will, of knob spacing, height, and surface area. I have been running mine in the scoop position and have been very pleased at its ability to stay hooked up on so many terra types. I would highly recomend this tire to anybody. Geax tires really rip, I think they are the best there is, and am suprised more people don't use them.

3 months

IRC, Specialized, Tioga (Farmer John for you OLD SCHOOLERS), Matrix

Klein Fervor, Kinesis MaxLight, King hubset and some other cool stuff.

Submitted by Rob a Cross-Country Rider from N.Ontario

Date Reviewed: May 10, 1999

Strengths:
    -Great all around tire
    -light
    -durable so far (~4 weeks of use)
    -shed mud well

Weaknesses:
    -none yet

Bottom Line:
    Initially I was a bit apprehensive about the very low profile knobs, but these tires really are a great all-around tire. Not only that but they do and EXCELLENT job in each type of condition. The trails I usually ride have a wide range of conditions such as: moss, beach type sand, humus, loose rock, slick rock, and lots of rock faces. So far these tires do an excellent job in ALL of these conditions.

It's a secret...

-Team Control/Master
    -Ritchey Omegabite
    -Kona Break and Enter
    -WTB Velociraptor

-mated to XT/Sun cr-18 wheelset

Submitted by Art a Cross-Country Rider from Adirondack Mtns., N.Y.

Date Reviewed: May 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
    Gotta say I really like this one too. It hooks up well in most every condition (in soft direction), and is very light. Feels like a Sedona, except on turns where it's a tad more squimy, but less so than the Warp. Bites in better than the Sedona due to the sharper, smaller tread lugs. Haven't tried it in real mud yet- it's been extra dry in N.Y. state so far this spring; but in damp, clingy earth it's been great. Wish it came in the 185 size. Climbs and carves very well and is one of my favorite tires. Don't know why there aren't more reviews here on the Grid because it is overall one of the best Geax makes! Another ass-kicker from The Boys In Green!!

less than 1 month

Geax Blade, Hubi, Sedona, Warp; IRC Mythos; Michelin Sprint; Specialized Dirt Baldy, etc.

C'dale Super V 900, Cane Creek WAM's...

Submitted by Christiaan Vingerling a weekend warrior from Nederland

Date Reviewed: May 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I like this tire very much, the grip is on every terrain super,Greatings (something to get 50 words on this page:rdu igfh irsg hvrt jktr vyneur rcri untvhb nvura ithvr htrgj hui n kl .k jkhjhj hvgytggb b luihuil hgfg i lubu yub uerrf ergrgrg rgfdfrehg ilnku niuhnio;hk,k, thanks for reading this, I know it's hard)