Home | Reviews | Tire | Geax

Geax Gato Tire

3.46/5 (13 Reviews)

Asymmetric, siped knobs on the Geax Gato 26in Tire grip loose, muddy trails and easily sheds any mank that attempts to tag along. A floaty, large volume casing and tall, reinforced knobs give the Gato the versatility and competence needed when venturing out into the backcountry.TNT Tube no Tube technology uses a supple 120tpi casing, reinforced sidewalls, and a Tubeless Talon bead for cornering stability, low rolling resistance, and reduced pinch flatsTNT Tubeless Talon tire bead firmly locks on rim edges for easy inflation with a standard pumpNote: TNT bead is only featured on select variants

Submitted by alijaa1 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2013

Strengths:    Grippy, Relatively light, Inflated real easy, can run at real low pressure

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Going from the Kenda Nevegals to the Geax Gatos, I noticed four things right from the start. 1) weight. The Gatos are lighter. I was expecting them to be much lighter, but they weren't. The Nevegals ran close to 1.2kgs each tire. the Gatos are supposed to be 680g, but they felt closer to 800g. Sorry, don't have a scale to measure. regardless, Gatos are lighter. 2)Construction, The Gatos are of way better construction and workmanship . 3) Installation. I use Stan's in both the Gatos and Nevegals. I'm very careful to clean the tires and the rim prior to installation. Additionally, I follow all install guidelines. The Nevegals were almost impossible to pump up. I even tried CO2 to no avail. With lots of pumping I finally got them pumped up. I got the Gatos to pump up my first try. 4) Rolling resistance. After the install, I took a ride on the asphalt. Immediately I noticed the smooth roll as compared to the Nevegal's rough pulsing and beating of the knobs on the ground. I realize the Nevegals provide superior grip. But Kenda did this by sacrificing weight. After the first ride, what I noticed was the fast acceleration of the Gatos uphill. Much less weight to turn over and very smooth. Very grippy and rolled over rocks with no slippage. Haven't tried wet terrains but the Gatos are made for it. Cornering is phenomenal compared to the Nevegals. The Nevegals have more of a squared face, and the Gatos have more of a round face. If you get the Gatos, run them at the lowest PSI you possibly can and you're in for a treat.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC pro, Kenda Nevegal

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur Ltc. All XT, Thompson SP and Stem, Mavic Crossmax SL wheels, XTR disk brakes, Fox 150 Talas RLC

Submitted by randy

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2013

Strengths:    unknown

Weaknesses:    to tight to install on rim

Bottom Line:
I couldn't say how they perform because 4 hours later I'm still trying to get it onto my rim!!!! I've tried clamps, levers, heaters, soap.... They're so tight I can't install them in a garage with a full set of tools. I'd be screwed out on the trail if I got a flat and had to work on it.

Submitted by AdamSean a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2012

Strengths:    Cornering, good balance between traction and grip, low rolling resistance. Perfect front tire.

Weaknesses:    You need to find that perfect sweet spot for tire pressure.

Bottom Line:
I have been running the Gato 2.3 on my front wheel. It has the perfect balance between grip and traction. It corners great and rolls fast. I ride everything from wet woodlands to dry hardpack and rocky terrain. Its amazing. I am running a Geax Mezcal rear tire for the climbing traction and the tires make the perfect pair. I highly recommend them.

I wanted a good combo for riding fast and holding traction. I ride a short travel full suspension and also wanted a little more pleshness so I went with the 2.3. Also good if you like to run low pressures. I am 180 lbs and run 29 psi rear and 27 psi front.

Favorite Trail:   Tannehill State Park, AL

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   cyclesport.com

Similar Products Used:   WTB Mutano Raptor

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 26 inch

Submitted by fatcat a Weekend Warrior from pasadena CA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2012

Strengths:    widely spaced knobs, dual compound, kevlar side

Weaknesses:    they dont make no 2.4 version boohoo

Bottom Line:
good rolling resistance and grip, side grips are OK, I likie man. Really does good in sandy and muddy spots. Also rolls well on hardpack.

Similar Products Used:   maxxis high roller

Submitted by dimitrin a Weekend Warrior from ATX

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2011

Strengths:

Bottom Line:
I’ve had 3 rides so far. This includes loose over hard, deep loose rocks and sloppy wet with mud on rocks and roots. The first ride I had about 2-27 psi and I was not happy with them. Tended to bounce around and it was hard to hold a line. The next ride I rode with 20- 21 psi and it was night and day difference…grip like I’ve never experienced before. Love it on the front… all the above mentioned terrain was ridden with better control than I can recall ever having before. TNT casing + low psi is great. These are mounted on ust rims, and when I broke the bead to add sealant it was VERY difficult, which could pose a issue on the trail if flatted and need to install a tube. That’s not going to keep me from whole heartedly recommending them.

Submitted by ThumbVT a Cross Country Rider from Putney VT

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2011

Strengths:    Great traction on dirt, loam, and leaf litter soils

Weaknesses:    Horrible traction on rocks and roots

Bottom Line:
After reading the other reviews I have to wonder how similar different models of this tire are; there is barely a mention of how scary this tire is on roots and rocks. I am reviewing the 29 x 2.3 with folding bead.

I just got back from my second real ride on them (front and rear). The first time I rode them it was pretty dry and I was surprised how they slipped on rock compared to a Continental Mountain King 2.4. They were OK in the dry but I was really interested in how they'd do in wet, sloppy conditions.

Today I rode them for 2+ hours on soaking wet, mostly tight singletrack. The trails are laced with roots, have some rocks and some bench cut / off camber portions. Pretty typical Vermont singletrack, with fewer rocky sections than the rest of the northeast.

The good: they hook up unbelievably well on dirt. I was able to crawl up a leaf-chocked skidder trail like it was a road bike on pavement. The tread seems impossible to pack up.

The bad: on anything hard (roots, rocks) they were scary, like walk your bike scary. The best way I can describe it: it's just like walking in my MTB shoes with hard plastic lugs. Anything off camber with roots or rocks was really sketchy. If I managed to unweight the front, the rear would slip or get kicked around. If I had to brake or change direction with the front tire it had to be on dirt and not roots or rock or I went down.

I may keep one for use on the rear for riding in the woods (off trail) but I'm switching both tires before I ride again and going back to something with a softer tread compound. The traction on dirt and shedding ability make me believe they will be the most awesome tire ever for someone, but not where there are roots, rocks and off camber.

Bike Setup:   29er rigid single speed, Salsa Gordo rims (35mm)

Submitted by sxy a Racer from Slovenija, central europe

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2011

Strengths:    - Terrific grip on wet terrain.
- Consistent and predictable grip on wet roots.
- Low rolling resistance, the tire just flies over the terrain.
- Really nice price. 64EUR for a pair (2.1 TNT version), Hutchinson and Maxxis tires are 80-100EUR for a pair >-|

Weaknesses:    - Hard to get on Mavic xm819d rim.
- Gets "damaged" easily when mounting! Avoid metal tyre levers if possible. By damaged, I mean that new tire looses too much air over time (gets empty in less than a week without tire sealant).
- "Great grip + low rolling resistance" combo comes with a price - the tire losses profile nearly 2-3 times faster than dry-weather tires (Nobby Nic EVO for example or Ignitor 70a). But this is a necessary and unavoidable evil ;) It lasts more than 200km though :D (I expect it to last max. 1000km - 15% of which is tarmac)
- Rolling resistance on dry hard surfaces (tarmac!) is worse than in wet. But this really depends on the tire pressure, so experiment with it until you find the sweet spot. The tire feels faster on wet, muddy surfaces than on dry ones and especially on hard surfaces like tarmac. This is also not a real disadvantage since this is "wet specialist" tire!

Bottom Line:
Great wet specialist tire. Excels from mid-autumn till late spring (Alpine weather - snow, rain, mud).
What I really like about this tire is that it is NOT the classic racer-only mud tire. Instead it is something between classic super-narrow mud tire and all-round tire which is the best combination for regular wet/muddy conditions.
Of course, every medal has two sides and the dark side (lol) for this one are tire economy, low volume and not that great performance on dry hard surfaces. But then again, this are the downsides of all wet specialist tires and has to be taken in the account!

Would I buy another pair? Yes I will.
Would I recommend it to a friend? Yes I would, as long as that friend needed XC/trail tire for wet conditions with not too much tarmac.

The bottom line:
Buy this IF you are looking for grippy and fast rolling tire for WET conditions, especially if you are concerned on the grip on wet roots.

Do not buy this IF you are looking for mostly dry weather tire (get all-round tire like Nobby Nic or Ignitor) or if your winter riding mostly consists of tarmac riding (get something more tarmac specific).

Similar Products Used:   IRC Serac 2.1, Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 70a, Hutchinson Scorpion UST, Hutchinson Spyder UST, Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3 MX casing UST, Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 EVO UST

Bike Setup:   C'dalle F600 05" with xm819d rims, XT775 hubs, Sapim Race spokes, XT775 brakes 180/160mm CL rotors, XT shadow rear mech, XT shifters. (All in all rather stocked)

Submitted by rod munch a Cross Country Rider from ohio

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2011

Strengths:    best mud shedding tires i've used, cornering, not bad rolling resistance, shock absorbing

Weaknesses:    heavy(steel bead at least)

Bottom Line:
whoever said these tires wont last 200km is an idiot. ive put about 300km on all kinds of terrain and they are still essentially brand new.

these came equipped on my new bike and i am pretty impressed with them. it's still winter here so i havn't tried them on hardpack but they work really well in snow/slush/mud. if they work pretty good on hardpack i may just replace with the folding version.

Favorite Trail:   on and off

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   several over the years.

Bike Setup:   2011 jamis komodo stock except for grips.

Submitted by cannotstop a Racer from Paonia, Colorado

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2010

Strengths:    good grip

Weaknesses:    thin

Bottom Line:
These tires came stock on a new Jamis Dragon Comp. Although they grab the trail well they are only one molecule thin and can be punctured by a wet noodle. Not for the desert southwest. I hope I wear them out fast and can replace them with a good set of Panaracer Smoke and Dart. I might have to revert to a puncture proof tire liner which may weigh a bit more but has worked well for 20 years on an old Trek and sure beats sitting on the trailside pushing a pump.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dragon Comp

Submitted by DC a Cross Country Rider from ann arbor, mi, usa

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2010

Strengths:    Sheds mud. Nice round profile. Solid performer.

Weaknesses:    Not the fastest roller

Bottom Line:
A good predictable spring tire. I love it up front and it is fine on the rear but not my favorite. It reminds me of a Z-max spaced for better mud shedding.

Purchased At:   lbs