Home | Reviews | Tire | Geax

Geax Evolution Tire

4.73/5 (33 Reviews)
Weight : 800 grams MSRP : $17.99

Geax Clincher Mountain Road/SmoothTrailTires are constructed of Aramid 3D Compound. Aramid 3D Compound Item Specifications Tire Bead Steel ISO Diameter 559 ISO Width 48 mm ColorTread/Side Black/Black TireType Clincher Tire Diameter 26" Tire Use Mountain

Submitted by Cogged a Cross Country Rider from Honolulu, Hawaii

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2011

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance.
Very fast on road.
Good grip, sure footed handling

Weaknesses:    sidewall starts to separate from tread after a year of use.

Bottom Line:
I've used the original GEAX Evolution tires for years, and they provided sure footed traction and low rolling resistance on pavement.
They became my standard street tire.
Not really an offroad tire, but provided decent traction on grass, dirt, loose gravel, but not like a good pair of knobbies.
Great all around tire, but more suited to urban assault and street riding.
Excellent low rolling resistance and cornering grip on concrete and asphalt surfaces.
Tread lasts forever, but the sidewalls would start to unravel, and the tread would crack and separate from the sidewall after a year of use.
Sadly, GEAX has discontinued the original Evolution, and has come out with the Evolution II, with an entirely different tread pattern and sidewall construction.
Rolling resistance is about the same as the original, but makes a strange hum on asphalt.
Handling and traction are about the same as well.
The downside to the Evolution II is the tread pattern is too fine, and lots of small bits of rock and debris constantly clog up the tread like a magnet.
On every ride, I would have to stop at least once or twice to pick rocks out of the tires because they were making ticking noises with each revolution, making me think I may have picked up a nail or thorn.
As another reviewer noted, something has gone downhill with GEAX's quality control.
I had three badly out of round tires; a Roadster, and two of the new Evolution II's.
They were not rideable, and were returned.
They were extremely difficult to mount, almost as if they were slightly undersized.
I almost broke a pair of tire levers trying to get them on!
I suspect this undersizing is causing the tire to distort badly when installed on the rim, resulting in a seriously out of round installed tire.
I'm also very disappointed in GEAX's quality control.
I never had a problem with any tire being out of round, including numerous pairs of the original Evolution.
However, GEAX's current line of tires has some serious quality control issues.
I've since lost confidence in GEAX, and will be testing out a pair of Kenda K-Rads.
My rating score reflects only the original GEAX Evolution tire.
The new Evolution II is not recommended, unless you are lucky enough to get a pair that isn't out of round, and like picking rocks out of your tires constantly.

Purchased At:   McCully Bike

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Joker, XTR wheelset, XTR derailleurs and shifters, Manitou MRD front fork, IRD Dual Banger Disc brakes, Manitou S-Type rear shock

Submitted by haribokid a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2011

Strengths:    Great tyre for on road or hard packed tracks, Great commuter tyre works great on wet roads, looks good to best tyre I have ever used for the money!!

Bottom Line:
If your looking for a tyre that does everything then this is as close to perfect you can buy!!

Purchased At:   wiggle

Similar Products Used:   Pretty much every hybrid tyre out there!

Submitted by mygrain a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, WA. USA

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2011

Strengths:    Causes your bike to not only move forward, but up and down.

Weaknesses:    maybe it's just bad luck, but of the two i got, neither is round. there's about a 6 inch length where the sidewall works its way down to about a half inch shorter then it should be, and them back up to normal.

Bottom Line:
well, at least two of these tires left the factory with a rather serious defect. i personally will avoid geax for a while now as i'm not real keen on paying folks to let me be their quality control.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   I've never used any other not round tires.

Submitted by photoBear a Cross Country Rider from Bendigo Victoria Australia

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2010

Strengths:    Fast rolling, quiet, durable, basicaly puncture proof, great for road use, looks funky, can also be used on dirt.

Weaknesses:    not a true dirt tyre, a little heavy.

Bottom Line:
I baught these because I needed a tyre that I could use on the road that would not get punctures and would last a long time while still allowing me to ride on dirt occasionaly.

They have a smooth profile but a deep tread which allows them to be used on road and hardpack trails. They have little climbing traction but better sideways grip than might be expected.

4 years of daily use both on road and trails is a testament to thier durability and surprising off road ability.

Favorite Trail:   Diamond hill/Carosoe resivoir

Submitted by Ballast a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane Australia

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2009

Strengths:    Low rolling resitance. Puncture resistance. Durability. Very good value for money.

Weaknesses:    Heavier than most others.

Bottom Line:
Just clicked over 4000km commuting on these, mostly on bike paths. Plenty of glass on these and I have had only one flat. This was due to a piece of wire through the gap in the tread, just bad luck really. Tyres still going strong, though some signs of cracking in the side walls, I still have no intention of replacing these any time soon. If and when I do it will be with another set. Awesome for there intended use, commuting on hard surfaces. Do yourself a favour, get a set and forget about flats.

Favorite Trail:   Bunya State Forest

Purchased At:   Caboolture

Similar Products Used:   Specialised hemispheres.

Bike Setup:   GT avalanche. Commuter.

Submitted by ibjoe a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO. USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2008

Strengths:    tough, smooth & quiet with low rolling resistance, did i say tough?...

Weaknesses:    can't be sent back into the past, sorry Wilbur and Orville...

Bottom Line:
if you "really" ride your bike in an urban environment, you may need these...

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   WTB Velociraptors, slicks, cheap O's...

Bike Setup:   trek 6000

Submitted by mike a Weekend Warrior from huntington,ny,america

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2007

Strengths:    incredible street tire, alright in dirt, good for light trails

Weaknesses:    not very good in sand or snow(i do ocasionally ride in snow)or wet weather

Bottom Line:
very good urban, light trail,and dirt jump tire for me.i love this tire and would eventually like to purchahse another one for my back wheel(i currently only have it on the front).

Purchased At:   frenchies bycicles

Bike Setup:   currently im riding a fuji discovery I(i cant afford a better bike yet)and i only have the evolution tire in the front and it handles VERY WELL. though i may not have and urban bike, this tire makes a very good urban tire

Submitted by Dorian a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2007

Strengths:    Toughness, longevity, traction

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
What can I say? These tires outlasted my bike! See my previous review when I had been riding them 6 months. That was four years ago! Two weeks ago did my first Sprint Triathlon, guess which tires were on my bike? Yep, my original Evolutions!

Bought my new bike, was going to run it with the Bontragers until I felt like changing the tires. First trip out, lost BOTH Bontragers to *small* pieces of metal penetrating the tires. In 4 years of riding the Evolutions, (no, I don't avoid glass, ever) I have had ZERO flat tires. Somewhat satisfying passing someone changing the tire on a $2500 road bike ten minutes after starting the biking leg!

I am by no means an everyday rider, but these have in excess of 300 hard miles on them. No odometer until recently, but I'm up around 150 miles on the new bike, which I've had for only 6 months. They still look great,lots of "tread" no signs of dry rotting, and I'm using the original innertubes. The old bike sat with these tires on it for over one year in a non-climate controlled shed. Pumped them up, took off.

The only downside is really their weight. I am certain flat resistance is why they weigh as much as they do. According to my calculations, they are almost 2 pounds. By contrast, the Geax Street Runner is almost 1/2 pound lighter in the 1.6" width. (step down to the 1.25" and you cut the tire weight almost in half, to 1lb) The Street Runners are getting good reviews for flat resistance, and since I have two bikes, I will compare these tires back to back. The Evolutions have set the bar extremely high, I hope the Street Runners don't let me down!

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   WTB Velociraptors, Bontrager Jones (both knobbies)

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Piranha

Submitted by THOMAS a Weekend Warrior from ILLINOIS

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2007

Strengths:    TOUGH AS NAILS...SMOOTH ROLLING...A NICE MIX BETWEEN SLICKS AND TRAIL TIRES...GREAT ALL AROUND TIRE...LOOKS LIKE A MOUTAIN BIKE...GOOD IN THE RAIN UNLIKE SLICKS

Weaknesses:    ONLY THE LTTLE EXTRA WEIGHT THEY HAVE...BUT THEY PUT THE ADDED WEIGHT TO GOOD USE ...HAVE YET TO GET A FLAT...AND THEY ARE MUCH FASTER THAN LIGHTER TRAIL TIRES 0N THE PAVEMENT.

Bottom Line:
THESE ARE ONE OF THE HIGHEST RATED TIRES OUT THERE...THEY LOOK GREAT ...PERFORM GREAT....IF YOU WANT A GOOD ALL AROUND TIRE GET THESE TIRES....IF YOU ARE ONLY A TRAIL RIDER OR RACER THESE AREN'T YOUR TIRES....FOR THE OTHER 95 PERCENT OF PEOPLE WHO OWN MOUTAIN BIKES THESE ARE PROBABLY ONE OF THE BEST TIRES YOU CAN BUY.

Favorite Trail:   LAKE FRONT IN CHICAGO

Purchased At:   JOHNNY SPROCKETS

Similar Products Used:   SLICKS...TRAIL TIRES

Bike Setup:   GIANT XTC SE2 ...FULL LX SHIMANO...24.5 LBS

Submitted by paul a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2007

Strengths:    smooth & quiet with low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    ??

Bottom Line:
The missus was complaining that her MB was hard to peddle. Went for a spin and noticed nothing out of the ordinary other than the typical issues with full on off road tyres.

Put a set of Evolutions on and problem fixed.

Put a set on my MB (was alternating between knobbys and slicks) as I was sick of changing tyres, most of my riding to date is on road or made tracks and the slicks just weren't cutting it when things got loose.

So far I’ve done about 100km and am suitably impressed. They work remarkably well off road in a variety of surfaces. Some semi-serious off road riding today started me thinking that unless you were in real loose or muddy conditions, these tyres are all you want. Their versatility is excellent.

Other than the sheen coming off the tyre though use, you can see no wear at all. The mould centre rib and dimples are totally unmarked. Expect long life from the tyre and this is reinforced by the comments of others.

One question I have, after having just studied the tread pattern, is are they semi-directional. The majority of the grooves in the side tread are angled in one direction. Mounting the tyre in a particular direction would make the tyre tread self cleaning (like a tractor tyre in mud). Has anyone else noticed this aspect or agree.

Purchased At:   Bernie Jones

Similar Products Used:   full 1.50 wide slick

Bike Setup:   teocali comp

Submitted by Fil a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide Australia

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2006

Strengths:    After 3Yrs use I would have to say durability! Grip(on hard), roll well, smooth, quiet, deep tread, value!

Weaknesses:    Still a bit heavy but given life...? Mine do have cracks at the base of each tread block... they havent actually caused an issue yet but its in the back of your mine when hammering around the bitumen road.

Bottom Line:
This is a 3year follow up to my review below... I still am on those original tyres!!! Although I dont do huge k's on this bike they show very little wear and still perform as great as when I first got them. There are cracks at the tread base but they have been on a while now...perhaps just "molding to the road" creases ;-)
Go fine on hard pack dirt paths etc, and dry or wet roads, obviously not for loose or off road.
Fantastic value when they perform so well and last so long!
Go get em!

Purchased At:   Bernie Jones

Similar Products Used:   knobbleys

Bike Setup:   Steel Hardtail commuter and family day bike with kids seat a lot of the time (read plenty of load!).

Submitted by Bruce Squires a Weekend Warrior from Joshua Tree, Ca USA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2006

Strengths:    No flats! Tread wear, low maintenance

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
I can't ride off-road yet, my surgeon hasn't cleared me. (Still recovering from my 3rd motocross injury.) I have put over 3400 miles on these tires, with only one flat, at 3300+ miles. The tread is finally worn down on the back, but the front is still going strong. The inner tubes have the same mileage on them. Most of my miles were training with panniers on them to get ready for a tour. I took a 600 mile tour in Utah and Arizona with the tires already having over 2800 miles on them. I rarely even checked or inflated the tires. Awesome!

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   bicycletires.com

Bike Setup:   Klein Pulse Comp, various upgraded components, modified to use as a touring bike

Submitted by Cappy a Cross Country Rider from Darwin, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2006

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, cornering grip on road, amount of rubber you get, and the amount of wear you get from the tyre

Weaknesses:    Dirt, sand

Bottom Line:
Just wanna reinforce what others have said in this review - u get great value for money in the longevity department, and it's a decent performer on road/concrete. Its true what others have said about rolling resistance - nice and quiet, lets you sneak up on pedestrians and overtake those guys on road bikes trying to look like Lance Armstrong. I do about 40% of my riding on dirt and sand, and thats where these guys let me down - which is fair because they were not meant for it anyway! If you are not a professional racer, and like something that is targetted towards road, paved cycle ways and footpaths - these are awesome. I ride over glass (there are lots of broken bottles on footpaths here) without many concerns (but I also have liners too). Get em - they'll keep you biking, and the money I have saved on these guys, I have put into knobbys for times when I do have to get serious on dirt.

Purchased At:   Rebel Sport

Bike Setup:   GT IDXC 2.0, Shimano Deore LX dual control hydros, fox float, Rock Shox Duke SL

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Bribie Island QLD Aust.

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2006

Strengths:    Thick rubber, durable, good in most conditions, excellent hybrid tyre.

Weaknesses:    Thin side walls? Slippery when wet on broken surface tracks.

Bottom Line:
I have to agree with majority of other reviews about this tyre. Except, i have had to replace 3 within 2 years.. Is this isolated case or just me? 2 incidints involved glass going through the tread. The other was a stick that flicked into the side wall at high speed. With 60psi and a stick on the side wall, the tyre just tore open like a knife had cut through butter... But.. i have replaced them all because i find them to be really suitable for my style of riding, ie. comuting to work (22km return trip), footpaths, limited offroad on gravel and dirt etc. I flog them a bit too (skids and jumps) and im surprised how resistant they are to wearing!

Favorite Trail:   Glassy mtns

Purchased At:   Caboolture

Similar Products Used:   cheapies...

Bike Setup:   2005 Giant Iguana

Submitted by Graham Rios a Weekend Warrior from San Jose

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2006

Strengths:    Tough as nails, literally (I'll get to that). Low rolling resistance, fast fast fast.

Weaknesses:    I guess its a bit heavy, but it couldn't be what it is without a little weight.

Bottom Line:
Flats simply do not exist on this tire. One ride, out of the blue there was this cyclical sound from my tires, whump whump whump. I stop, look down, and find a good sized nail lodged into my tire, I think time to hoof it home. I pull it out, nothing, as if it didn't happen. I hate flats with a vengeance, I hate wondering if I'm stranded 20 miles from home, and I hate patch kits and removing tubes. If you are like me, you need these. Plus they have super low rolling resistance and seem a lot faster than my other tires.

Favorite Trail:   Wilder Ranch