Home | Reviews | Tire | Geax

4.64/5 (25 Reviews)

Geax Blade 185

Submitted by Curt a Cross Country Rider from Boise, Id, USA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2005

Strengths:    big nobs, good traction. Tread pattern looks cool and I like the green side walls.

Weaknesses:    High rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
When in soft mode the large side nobs tend to bend when cornering on hard surfaces, making it feel squirly. Switched to hard mode and the problem is gone. If you enjoy plenty of traction this tire is for you. Great for climbing in loose muddy conditions. Very responsive when braking. It's not a racing tire. My bro. runs michelin wild grippers and when we coast side by side he rolls much faster. It's a fun tire, a little too slow, when it wears down I'll most likely try something else.

Favorite Trail:   trail 4

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   xc panaracers, velociraptors

Bike Setup:   '99 Rocky Mountain Fusion

Submitted by NFields a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2004

Strengths:    Stick like glue to wet and dry leaves, hooks up well in mud and dirt. I am riding on leaf covered, singletrack,trails that vary in consistence of mud, dirt, roots, stobs, and very slick, hidden, flat shale and rocks. In other words and positively suitable tire to my type of cross country riding.

Bottom Line:
LBS doesn't carry them and for $9 per tire they can't be beat. Climbs like a goat!

Favorite Trail:   King/Ish

Purchased At:   on-line

Similar Products Used:   very old knobbies on current mtb bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock 1992 Nishiki mtn bike.

Submitted by ben weinreich a Cross Country Rider from sykesville MD

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2004

Strengths:    grabs everything - Grabs soft soil like no ones business, was going crazy fast around a soft turn, front tire rolled over a small stick and started sliding sideways, pulled back brakes and was putting foot down to brace - then the traction completely came back, it hooked up completely at a severe angle and i went on my way with a big smile instead of bruises. Also rolling resistance is very acceptible for the tread pattern. put in 5+ miles of asphalt to get to and back from the trail head w/no noticeable wear - still has nubbys on the treads

Weaknesses:    don't use on flat wet rocks, they're especially slick - "crazy slick" if you will

Bottom Line:
These tires rule on everything save wet rock (but then what is good on wet rock) other than that they have AMAZING hook up - where everyone else was skidding to save a turn behind me i just leaned the bike over and went FLYing even further away. Down rain softened hardpack, loose large gravel hills, or grinding through sloppy mud they will give you the traction to get thru. Pow. 5 flaming poos for value. 4.5 for overall cause they are very dangerous on any wet solid rock

Favorite Trail:   patapsco state pk - avalon section

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   Michelin wilderness something, specialized S-works, Psycho TT - nothing yet can remotely compare

Bike Setup:   Specialized ground control, mavic rims, Marzocchi bomber up front, new Diore "hollowtech " mechanicals

Submitted by d white a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2003

Strengths:    simple pattern that works.

Weaknesses:    none of my lbs carry them, so I have to mail order

Bottom Line:
I have used this tire on all kinds of stuff. Hardpack, loose gravelly stuff, sandy and dry, and some wet trails. Its very good in all conditions. I didn't really notice the "high rolling resistance" noted by many others here. A great tire. At first glance you might think it would be stiff or prone to a lot of pinch flats because of the decreased air volume. But its not the case because of the thicker quality rubber used and the high initial tread profile.

Similar Products Used:   every major tire brand

Bike Setup:   Titus

Submitted by Kevin a Racer from Chicago

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2003

Strengths:    Throws mud even on steep climbs, nice 1.8 profile seems smaller but perfect for those running F/S with minimal mu d clearance. You will not have mud clogging your drive train with these tires. They mount and inflate easily with Stan's system as well. Not to heavy at around 550 grams. I couldn;t believe the price I paid. Outstanding tire in mud and sand. Raced the Buzzard Buster in Wisconsin and they were perfect. It was real sandy and muddy and handled the loose stuff real well. Even the sand and mud cement didnt stick to them.

Weaknesses:    I don't like the green sidewall (don't care too much.
The knobs are rounded but sit up kind of straight on the edges so make sure you cross tree roots on perpendicular after going though a mud section or you will slip. Forget hardpack, the rolling resistance is high even with the "hard" tread option. However, if most of the trail is mud and 25% of it is dry, this is still the best tire to use.

Bottom Line:
For ten bucks it was well worth it. I only use them for mud and will put one on the rear for winter. Throws mud off and away from your bike. You look down at the tire after riding greasy section and it's clean!

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   First specific all mud tire.

Bike Setup:   Fuel with xtr disc hubs and 3.1 ust rims with stan's

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Lafayette, NY

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2003

Strengths:    went on easy, unbelievable traction in the worse slippery, rooty, rock slop. looks great to

Weaknesses:    hard to find

Bottom Line:
went out to Highland forest after a week of rain with my bud. He had these on his hard tail I had Weirwolfs (2.1) on my Titus. After my 10 billionth slide to my side I asked if we could trade bikes as he hadn't gone down once. Going down washed out muddy single track these held the 45 degree shoulders while my bud picked himself up off his side just like I had. If he hadn't caught me on a dry patch I'd never have traded back. The Wierwolfs are great 95% of the time and they'll stay on for most of my riding but these are unbelievable in the worse stuff. And they are so cheap.

Purchased At:   bicycletires.com

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Mud Pro

Submitted by SGT. ROCK a Racer from Edmonton, AB

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2003

Strengths:    Great mud performance
Cheap

Weaknesses:    Rolling resistance
Squirrely at high speed

Bottom Line:
If you want a tire that'll clean itself and provide traction in mud, this is the one. Couldn't pack the tread up enough to lose grip. However, cornering performance at speed on hard surfaces is not great, with the tire mounted for soft conditions. Tends to bite in unpredictably, causing the rear wheel to drift out unexpectedly. Rolling resistance is high enough that I wouldn't consider using this tire for anything but extreme mud conditions. Definitely a special purpose tire.

Purchased At:   Nasbar

Submitted by Philip Fontana a Cross Country Rider from Anchorage, AK

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2003

Strengths:    When riding through mud, it's like a paddleboat through water.

Weaknesses:    Wears fast - travels slow when on the pavement.

Bottom Line:
I like the tire for the mud and does a good job on technical singletrack. Darn slow on pavement. Not the best either on hardpack. Better suited obviously for deeper softer mud.

Favorite Trail:   all of em

Bike Setup:   Turner 02, lots of good stuff throughout.

Submitted by el ray a Cross Country Rider from dawn to dusk

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2003

Strengths:    GRIP!!! (also light and folding) by the way, i had no troube installing them like the dude below me. plus the teal sidewalls are b!tchin'

Weaknesses:    well, they're not fast on hardpack but i prefer to MOUNTAIN bike which implies riding on terrain not resembling a city street...

Bottom Line:
these tires NEVER lose traction. they help me climb insane hills covered in wet leaves. they weigh less than wire bead tires and i got them super cheap. nuff said

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   WTB velociraptors

Bike Setup:   giant xtc se1 - blade on the back; semi-slick on the front

Submitted by Jee Young a Weekend Warrior from DC

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2002

Strengths:    Light
Great for snow

Weaknesses:    Harder to install than wider tires.

Bottom Line:
I went for a snow ride today, and put the Blade on the rear since it's thinner than my 2.1 Swampthing. It was a bit of a b!tch to install since it's so thin, so make sure you squeeze all the air out of the tube (duh!). The traction is AMAZING in 4" of softpack snow on top of 1" of hardpack snow, I only slipped for about 1/10 of a second going uphill and taking a 90 degree turn, but the tire grabbed immediately after. It cleared the snow amazingly well, as when I got off to take a quick break, there was absolutely nothing between the knobbies...I'm hoping it acts the same way in mud this spring. The path to the trail is mostly pavement/sidewalk, covered with hardpack snow, and I notcied a tiny bit of knobby wear, even though this was its first run...just the little noodle things disappearing, no big deal. Hopefully these will last both winter/spring season. I got it off eBay, thinking it was a 2.1, but it turned out to be a 1.85, which isn't too bad although I would have liked to keep my Swampthing on the rear...
Either way, the tire is great.

Favorite Trail:   oh?

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Swampthing

Bike Setup:   Fisher Mt. Tam
Mavic 221, Blackburn tubes

Submitted by Patrick Jordan a Cross Country Rider from Aptos,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2002

Strengths:    Grip and great rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    They say they wear quickly but I have not had them long enough to tell.

Bottom Line:
These things are like Velcro on the trail yet they roll like butter. This is just what I want from a tire able to clear technical sections yet still feel quick.

Favorite Trail:   Anything With Dirt

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Velciraptors(great),Mobsters(good),Mutanoraptor,Zeds and Farmer Johns.

Bike Setup:   Sugar 3 with 105mm X-Vert Air front fork.

Submitted by Rob Trautman a Cross Country Rider from Swain,NY

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2002

Strengths:    GRIP!!! light wt.(kevlar),on sale

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I would have preferred the 200s, but the 185s were on sale. They have gripped going up and down ski trails and steep single track with mud, snow, leaves, roots, and rocks. Night and day improvement over my old tires. Highly recommended!!

Favorite Trail:   Swain Mtn.

Similar Products Used:   Tyranoraptor WTB

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback,Duke 100mm, XT drivetrain

Submitted by Pawel Szafruga a Racer from Pullman, WA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2002

Strengths:    Grip
Weight, it's not great, but very exceptable

Weaknesses:    hmmmm.....that's a toughee

Bottom Line:
Whoa, these are great tires. I just raced them at a local race that had quite a bit of mud and they rocked. Very very good in the mud and sand. They roll well for a knobby, but compared to the Pythons they aren't that great, so once it dries up I'll go back to those. I got these at a great price, the owner of the store had a slightly used pair of these and I got them for 20buckerous. I should add that I'm running the 1.85 up front and the 2.00 on the back. Even though I usually like fatter tires up front, the 185 seems and looks wider.
I would recommend these tires to anyone riding in mud conditions. I don't know how they hold up but the 3 weeks haven't shown any wear. They aren't feather weight, but they work, really well.

Favorite Trail:   Skookum Flats

Similar Products Used:   Pythons, great for hardpack
Assorted Michelins and IRC's

Bike Setup:   Giant XtC with a random mix of parts. Wheels are Bontrager Valiant rims on XTR hubs.

Submitted by Rich T a Cross Country Rider from Cincinnati, OH

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2001

Strengths:    Aggressive tread... confidence builder when in loose stuff.

Weaknesses:    Heavy... need to wear tread to lose the weight... j/k! Pricey but at least I don't have to keep buying tubes.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the GEAX Blades 185 TUBELESS:

I am an XC rider at 5'9" and 158 lbs. I've been riding the Pythons Tubeless Tech from late spring to early fall. I don't know why riders rate the Pythons so poorly. Pythons are hard pack specific and excel in those conditions. I have cut down in riding in the mud... don't try it... it's like ice skating without skates...lol.

I switch to the Blased 185's for the sole purpose of getting an aggressive tread for the fall, winter, spring seasons. The tires are thinner at 1.85 and help out with tire clearance and less tire resistance. The treads are a confidence builder when in loose stuff. I have yet to ride them in the mud where I have heard these tires really do their thing. The weight is high though... at approx. 790 grams/each compared to the Pythons which were 730 grams/each. I can feel the difference, but the benefit again is the way it bites into the trail. I am running soft in the rear and hard in the front... I will experiment through the seasons until summer... see which one is better for me.

About the FEEL of the tires, the Pythons felt better for absorbing the hits... the Blades felt stiffer... neither good or bad... just different. I am now able to whip around the bends with the Blades... even in thick leaves... that sure compensated for the weight. Blades climb well... considering the fall season conditions.

I will most likely go lighter during the summer months and use the Pythons and use the Blades 185's during the other seasons. GREAT TIRES if you want tubeless tires specific for the rough stuff!!!

If you are a current rider using the Blades... email me by clicking on my name above and let me know how you run the tread in the front and rear... want to hear your take on it.

Favorite Trail:   Harbin, Huston, Landen, Ceasar

Purchased At:    Montgomery Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Pythons Tubeless Tech 2.0 on my NRS1. I have used Michelin Wildgrippers 2.1 on my custom Goose NX 8.1. IRC Mythos XC's.

Bike Setup:   Modified 2001 Giant XTC NRS1. I upgraded to Easton Monkeylite CT2 Carbon Fiber 24" Low Riser Bars, XTR Rapid Fire Shifters and replaced the grips with Salsa Yellow Grips.

Submitted by bart elias a Cross Country Rider from Gent, OostVlaanderen, Belgium

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2001

Strengths:    cheap, incredible in gooey mud

Weaknesses:    lots of rolling resistance, wear fairly fast

Bottom Line:
the semi slick campo's are good for the summer, but when wet season starts you can use the superior grip this tire gives in wet, muddy conditions. last trail made me pass everyone and noone pass me, thx to these tires i guess. climbing a muddy slope whilst never losing your front wheel to stay out of those tractor 'trenches'. only 20% of the people reached the summit because you get stuck upto your derailleur in the mud. if the conditions are as i describe above, mounting this tire is a very good option.

Favorite Trail:   GTJ jura