Home | Reviews | Tire | Geax

Geax Beaumont 200 (Front) Tire

4.62/5 (13 Reviews)
Weight : 625 grams (folding) MSRP : $44.95

• Proprietary tread blocks offer a new level of tracking and feedback with unmatched traction life.
  • Twin tread row center, maximized working edges at all lean angles.
  • Full Talon 2.0 edging blocks, Soft compound, yet very stiff.
  • No "wash out" under hard cornering.
  • Available in tubeless rigid bead version.
    Folding 26 x 2.00 625g
    Wire 26 x 2.00 675g
    Tubeless 26 x 2.00 850g

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by edouble a Cross Country Rider from LI,NY

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2005

Strengths:    supple casing ,excellent grip and cornering. rolls pretty fast.

Weaknesses:    could be higher volume.

Bottom Line:
    tire steers and corners well and rolls better than most. the ride is very smooth for a non hi volume tire. excellent for those who are into trail riding.

Favorite Trail:   several

Similar Products Used:   conti explorer, wtb velociraptors, pythons.

Bike Setup:   curtlo advanced mountaineer, atom 80, thomson, bontrager, sram, truvativ etc.

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, CA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2003

Strengths:    Never had a tire corner as well in the dirt or gravel. Hard to make it slide. Very comfortable riding. Extremely well made-nearly perfect casting. Decent in the mud, although they did load up some, there was no sliding around.

Weaknesses:    The green is growing on me. Slower than some other tires I've run on hard pack & for road use. I wish it was 100 grams lighter.

Bottom Line:
    I got these tires to try out after I fell three times at China camp's loose single track trails. I never rode a tire with this aggressive a tread before. What's more important, traction or speed?

Favorite Trail:   many SF Bay AREA TRAILS

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Python, Kenda Chameleon.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2003

Strengths:    Tough and great grip on both hard pack and soft stuff like loose sand. Nothing beats these on trails with lots of side slope, like climbing out of deep ruts.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    I had grown accustomed to IRC Mythos on the front and Panaracer Smokes on the rear. For the Granny Gear 24 Hours of Temecula, I put on some lightweight Specialized race tires. Yow! What happened to control, especially in the sand? After that lap, I stopped by a booth where John Castellano was selling these tires. He let me try a set for my next lap and I was hooked. He designed Ibis' bikes and his own soft tail Fango frame, as well as these tires.

Get the rear tire too. If your usual ride includes sandy loose stretches, hard pack and rock, these can't be beat. They are just the best all-around tire out there. They are extremely tough for their middle weight heft. I practice my trials moves while my friends fix their rock garden flats.

Purchased At:   Direct from tire designer

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Performance, IRC, Panaracer, etc.

Bike Setup:   Black ano Blur, 5th Element and Duke SL, SRAM 10, King hubs, stem and seatpost, Easton Monkeylite bars, and Dave Thomas (Speed Dream) wheels

Submitted by Pearce Daley a Racer from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2002

Strengths:    Muddy wet conditions and soft single track. Works well on dry but stands out in the wet stuff. I am using the matching front tire, so this review applies to both tires.

Weaknesses:    Ugly colors, a little heavy, but nothing else that is significant

Bottom Line:
    I bought the Geaxs several years ago and mounted them on some new wheels I had bought for my hardtail, when I decided to use a Full Suspension bike the wheels went unused. I recently upgraded the wheels for my FS and finally put some miles on the tires. WOW, was I impressed, they track better than the Panaracers, throw off mud immediately and ignore wet roots and rocks. The color sucks and now I don't know if they can be bought but I'm going to go looking for some new ones for my other bikes. My Titus has always been easy to handle but these tires were made for quick starts and excellent handling.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XCs, Trailblasters, Pythons, etc

Bike Setup:   Custom built Titus Racer X with XTR drivetrain, Avid Discs, etc. Top of the line, no money spared.

Submitted by Rick Morgan a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2002

Strengths:    stability, rugged, smooth ride, basically mud-proof

Weaknesses:    heavy, expensive

Bottom Line:
    I was sent this tire by accident when I ordered a different tire online. They let me keep it so I figured "what the heck, I'll try it". Not in a million years would I have purchased in on my own. It is heavy by my standards, and the tread pattern looks ridiculous.

Boy was I ever in for a surprise. this is a superior front tire in many respects. I ride in western washington state and its very rooty and rocky here and its almost always wet. things are loose and my tires get changed frequently depending on where I ride.

I had been using a panaracer trailblaster up front, and its a great tire, but its pretty slippery on the roots. Its a good tire, just make me a little nervous when things get wet. The conti explorer pro tire used to be my all-around favorite, except that it was worthless in the mud.
    The conti tire looks like a big chocolate doughnut at the end of most rides. (cant even see the tread)

the hutchinson python tires are severely overrated in my opinion. Actually, i didnt like that tire much at all and felt is had almost no traction and was worthless for climbing.

These Geax Beaumont tires are incredible. its pretty obvious the guys designing them really have their thinking caps on. Never before have I felt the front tire make so much difference in my confidence and my ability on my favorite trails.

The sidewalls are kinda springy, its hard to describe. It gives the tires a "lively" feel. More imortantly, the tires handle glancing blows from objects very well. The tire keeps going where i point it and the knob s penetrate right into the clay and fling the mud off with every rotation. The tire feels heavy to me, but its casing is so thick , I run it with the performance lunar tubes.
    I normally cant run them on my conti tires because I get many pinch flats or burst tires. this geax tires seems very durable and I cant imagine getting apinch flat since the sides of the tire curve in when I conpress it on the trail.

I weighed my tire at 601g and geax advertises 625g.
    My conti was 540, but now I dropped 70g in my tbe mass so it kinda works out.

Anyway, this tire is great. The rolling resistance is sooo muhch lower than i expected with these gigantic l-shaped knobs. What a weird tire, what a lucky chance for me to use it. I very highly recommend this product and give it 5 full-on burning turds.

If you have a chance, try the continentals on hardpack and the geax tires for the muddy stuff. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. ---Rick

Favorite Trail:   Tapeworm

Purchased At:   cambriabike.com

Similar Products Used:   Conti explorer pro, hutchinson python, panaracer Fire XC

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element TO with Cane Creek wheels and hope disc brakes. Sram XO and race face drivetrain. Not a single shimano part on my bike.

Submitted by Rumplestilskin from Boise

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2000

Strengths:    Well supported side knobs
    Cleans well
    Steers like a rudder in sand

Weaknesses:    Lack of penetration

Bottom Line:
    I have to say that I do not like this tire [Front].
    For the terrain I ride, I think there are much better tires out there [like the Fires or the Super X's]. I did like how it worked in sand, which we have lots of. They were unpredictable when riding in loamy pine-neddley soil or anything else that required a penetrating knob.
    I think smaller knobs would be better here. What little mud it encountered cleaned well.
    My advice would be to try them on multiple trails before buying or pass and get something else.

Similar Products Used:   Super X's and Fire XC's were my previous sets

Bike Setup:   RM Blizzard [w/Easton-RaceFace-Speedplay extras]

Submitted by Riccardo Visini a Cross Country Rider from Trieste, Italy

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2000

Strengths:    For sure durability, and good performance on all conditions/terrains but a merit note on muddy stuff.

Weaknesses:    On gravel you may find the limit/cost little to high (even in Italy....

Bottom Line:
    I would buy it again, at least for the durability of it.
    At beginning I was a little suspicious but after the first trail .....

Bike Setup:   Proflex 757 (FULL) all XT,

Submitted by Art a Cross Country Rider from Mayfield, NY

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2000

Strengths:    •Great for almost all conditions - even handles gravel-over-hardpack better than other front-specific tires, and that's sayin' somethin'!
    •Supple ride quality; casing allows for excellent feedback from the terrain.

Weaknesses:    •Ok in serious mud, but not excellent - loads up a little. You got MUD? You get BLADES!
    •A bit sketchy on fast and open grassy glades: not as many short, sharp edges to cut in with.
    •Price could be a few buck less, but hey - that's America.

Bottom Line:
    Had this one for the better part of a year, and have found it to have great handling and traction in most any condition. Absolutely NO squirm or drift on rock/hardpack cornering compared to its predecessor: the Geax Warp; although the Warp is still an excellent tire in its own rite, and it cuts in better, for example, on thick, wet or firmly packed grass and loam than the Beau does. I'd say the Warp still beats the Beau on softer, wetter ground.

Otherwise, I have no complaints on the Beaumont - it's an excellent front for its intended terrain: medium to hardpack.

Similar Products Used:   •You name it...

Bike Setup:   •C'dale Super V 900 with extras.

Submitted by BigJilm a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2000

Strengths:    Rolls fast, great traction in variety of conditions, great feedback

Weaknesses:    BIG BIG BUCKS. I had to 'special order' it for 120 clams each. Definitely worth it, though

Bottom Line:
    Buy them, right now. Or else I'll give you such a slap!

Favorite Trail:   Don Valley