Home | Reviews | Tire | CST

CST Heathen Tire

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Submitted by alex a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2014

Strengths:    good traction, drifts predictably, doesn't wash out on dirt or concrete.
Great on climbs in mud. Quite surprisingly grippy!

Weaknesses:    mud traction-sheds fairly slow.
Sidewalls seemed thin, but no pinch flats.

Bottom Line:
I run a CST Camber on the front and a CST Heathen on the back tire of my Trek hardtail-26".
I love these things. Total cost for tubes and tires was $42 from my LBS.
been running these for about 6 months now, going to have to buy new ones pretty soon. These handle a 4-mile ride to the trails every time I go, don't get flats nearly as often as my previous bontrager tires, and wear slow enough for me to consider them worth the money. They also don't wash out, except with extremely flat angles on wet asphalt. Not bad for road rolling resistance either!
I found it slightly annoying that the Heathen tended to "float" at high speeds in very deep and very slick mud(literally slicker than ice). I still will buy them! I ride about once a week at my local trails. I thought the sidewalls seemed a bit thin when I bought them- but run them at 30-35 PSI when it is really wet or 40-50 when it is pretty dry(I'm 150#ish) and so far no pinchflats.
I also ride my Trek on the road quite a bit to get around, as I'm too young to have a car.
Bottom line: Cheap(great for high school racers), good traction, durable, corners well. Good tire for everything, including some road.

Duration Product Used:   ~6 months

Similar Products Used:   CST Camber, Kenda Nevegal, Bontrager stock 3500 tires, CST Cabarello

Bike Setup:   Trek 3500 with upgraded fork, Cannondale F9 also with rockshox front.

Submitted by Simon A a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2014

Strengths:    Cheap, cheap, cheap! Decent grip, drifts controllably, works tubeless, decent rolling resistance, decently long wearing

Weaknesses:    Grip degrades faster than wear would suggest, cheap cheap cheap, feels a bit small for stated size, weak sidewalls.

Bottom Line:
To describe this tire in two words: pretty good!

I won this tire in a raffle after a day of trailwork, so my value judgement may be a bit biased, but the tire's MSRP is rather low as well. I use it as a rear tire and it performs without much complaint there. I had been using a 2.4 mutano as a rear tire (not reccomended, but it was either that or a 2.0 race tire at the time), and this was a significant improvement, and I'm still more or less happy with the tire today. I have the "higher end" version of the tire with the EPS breaker, higher TPI, and better rubber compound. It rolls decently well, it grips decently well, and it set up tubeless with stan's without too much trouble (Although it has burped on me twice under hard landings, but isn't a tubless tire so I can't knock it for that!).

I do have a few complaints with this tire though. It feels a little small for it's size, but that may be due to how round the tire is (mounted on a 23mm internal rim). Although the wear looks like it's slow, the tire's grip is degrading at a higher rate than it would appear. Part of this is due to the slick, sandy "dirt" of Southern California, but even on grippier trails and hardpack the rear feels a bit too happy to drift for my tastes unless really leaned over.

Overall, a pretty good tire, and for getting it free, I'm extremely happy with it. Even if I'd paid MSRP (which is ~25 bucks), I would be plenty satisfied with the tire. If you're on a budget and need a decent tire, the CST Heathen is recommended, but try and get the folding bead, 60tpi version if you can! You'll be happy you did!

Similar Products Used:   WTB Prowler MX Race 2.1, WTB NanoRaptor race 2.1, IRC FreedomCross Trailbear 2.25, WTB Mutano 2.4

Submitted by Mongo213

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2013

Strengths:    Price, grip, and durablility

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Overall this is a great valued tire with insane grip. I am running it at 35psi and I'm a heafty 245# with no issues or pinch flats. Did very well on the slick roots this past weekend on the trail and climbs up hill with ease.

All you heathen

a call goes out, not to religious conversion, but for a different type of conversion. In my quest for logos, I share with you a site that summarizes some of ideas about learning languages and seems to be in tune with what I think about it. In my quest for Deutch, I found and am finding this useful. ... Read More »

Are you a heathen by yesterday's standards?

My sig got me to thinking... Aren't we all progressive in one way or another? I mean, women working, interracial marriage, slavery....that sort of thing. Those USED to be conservative things to uphold. Not anymore. Are we all on the same wagon of progression, some dragging our feet, some push ... Read More »