Home | Reviews | Tire | CST

CST Caballero Tire

4.37/5 (19 Reviews)

This mountain bike tire from CST, the Caballero, features a durable 27 thread-per-inch casing with a lightweight puncture resistant belt under the treads.  It is available in steel bead or folding bead variety. Weight: 700 grams (folding) ;

Submitted by el cap a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2013

Strengths:    This is the most under-rated 29er tires for the price.

I own three 29ers (i.e. two hardtail 29ers Paradox 29 and TransAM 29 and one full suspension - Bandit 29) and I have this tires on all three bikes. I have been using it for 1 year and I must say this tire an all around great 29er tire. It holds-up very well with very little wear. It corners great... very predictable. It reminds me of the Continental Mountain Kings tread, but better and longer wear like the Mountain Queens. It's more like a freeride tire for 29ers. Highly recommend for the $15 price.

Weaknesses:    hummm... maybe a little heavy, but the tire tread will last a very long time and it's reinforced like a FR tire.

Bottom Line:
This is the most under-rated 29er tires for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Hole in The Fence

Banshee Paradox 29 120mm front travel
Transition TransAM 29 140mm front travel

Submitted by Kolbi McBroom

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2013

Strengths:    Rode it for the first time today in the snow and ice near West Orange, NJ. Ran a higher pressure for some reason. between 35-40 front and rear. For a cheap tire i inspired a lot of confidence. It was an XC outting, but it did have some good downhill sections that we got good speed goin. It was semi soft snow and ice from the day melt. super choppy. with speed i didnt lose the front end once. It did chop around a bit, but that should be expected due to the ice and snow chop. I also reversed the tire direction. I thought the design of the tread blocks would work better this way and I believe it did. it stuck so well. the braking was great too. didnt lose the rear end at all even with solid pressure applied. great tire in the soft snow and ice. if it did this well in these conditions im sure it will be great in other areas. On concrete they provide some vibration, but it's expected. they roll pretty well though. not too much more effort involved with these.

Weaknesses:    if i had to mention it would be that upon purchasing the tire without installing it seemed the sidewalls are very thing. a little worried, but nothing else really i can mention.

Bottom Line:
Nice cheap tire. Inspired confidence even on day melt snow and ice. braking was solid. was difficult to lose the rear end. roll solid. i like the tread block design, but installed in reverse direction. this might add to road vibration, but its expected. I would recommend these. I am excited to try these on other terrain.

Submitted by umarth

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2012

Strengths:    Grip and cost.

Weaknesses:    (Relative) Maybe not a sandy/hardpack tire, a turd on pavement.

Bottom Line:
I probably should have left a review on these tires 18 months ago. I bought them on a whim, and I love them. Now one of my friends rides them as well. I live in western Oregon, which means wet roots, mud and general inclement weather for for around 8 months out of the year, and the tires really do a fantastic job in these conditions. When the snow and rain goes away, we have some amazing, ripping downhill descents that last for miles upon miles and I trust the tires to stick all the way down the hill. Fantastic.

They do trundle along on pavement, but most mud tires do that in any case, but at least you don't feel badly about it with the CSTs- they wear slow thanks to the stiff mud and they don't cost much. I may even buy another one since I'm wearing out the rear tire on another bike.

The bike the tires are on is in Boise now, and I am not 100% sold on the grip, but that could certainly be the fault of the sandy conditions that I am not used to riding on- it does seem like you can get away with a faster rolling tire there.

And mine set up fast ghetto tubeless with a compressor.

Submitted by Efrain Salazar Botello

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2012

Strengths:    es una llanta muy resistente a golpes fuertes de piedras,suave en las paredes para tener un poca mas de absorcion en los impactos fuertes, muy buen agarre en las curvas, buen ancho y su dibujo ace que no se derrape tan facil. la llanta tiene un muy buen hule le da mayor durabilidad y un costo muy accesible.

Weaknesses:    es un poco mas pesada que las demas pero no tiene mucha imoportancia.

Bottom Line:
creo que es una llanta que nos facilita a nosotros de bajos recursos tener una llanta muy buena y en lo personal ando compitiendo con esas llantas y me siento muy seguro.

Submitted by rallymaniac a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2012

Strengths:    great in mud, loose stuff, cheap and durable

Weaknesses:    weight, rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
I have the 29er version with 120tpi casting, folding. I actually have mixed feelings about these tires as they work well in only one specific area (wet or muddy trails). they did save me during one race when it poured for 20 minutes right before the start but otherwise they are boat anchors. Heavy and even when it's dry they roll as if you were still riding in the mud. I would see them as perfect solution for someone who wants a cheap durable and grippy tire for year round riding for fun but if you do any type of racing you will probably want to stay away.

Purchased At:   niagaracycle

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Fantom Pro29,

Submitted by s0ckeyeus

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2012

Strengths:    Good cornering and traction in a wide variety of conditions. Long lasting. Ridiculous price.

Weaknesses:    Rolling resistance and weight.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2.25" Comp version. I bought these tires as a cheap fix for a mountain bike trip. I ended up keeping them for two years. The tires perform beyond their price point. Overall, I found it a good all around tire. CST rates them as best suited for loose over hardpack and looser soil types. I find the claims accurate. The tires are predictable in corners and don't wash out easily. They climb OK, but they are a little chunky. Rolling resistance is a little higher than I prefer, especially on pavement. It's also noticeable on hardpack. The tires have good climbing traction but require just a bit more effort than faster rolling tires. These tires are confidence inspiring on descents. My tires weighed around 765g, which is a good 35g over what CST claims. While the Comp model performs well, I would recommend the Pro version for a little less weight and more resilient rubber. The Comps tires are a bit on the stiff side. Overall, it's a great tire.

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   CST Camber Pro (faster rolling, better on hardpack but not as good in the loose stuff)

Submitted by Mojavemtb'er

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2012

Strengths:    Very grippy, seem to have a durable casing. Inexpensive for a folding tire. Good volume.

Weaknesses:    rolling resistance on tarmac and dry hardpack. Not really light but what 2.25 width tire with lots of knobs is?

Bottom Line:
I have the 26x2.25 "Kingpin" aramid bead folding version from Wally World. These are exactly the same tire as the folding Caballeros. They are just sold by Bell Sports. For $27 a tire they are a great deal for the traction they afford. They are a bit of a slog riding to the trail on pavement but thats the trade of for the traction they give in loose over hard conditions offroad.
I have been using one on the back of ny hardtail but want to try one up front soon. I dont understand why a previous poster from St Louis said he thinks they would not be a good front tire, but maybe the conditions there are much different. Here in the desert and mountain west they seem like an ideal design for a front tire. Good volume and profile. Tough and have alot of gripping edges while still not being to open of a tread pattern.

Submitted by CCMTB a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2012

Strengths:    Grippy in loose, dusty conditions. Great tread puncture resistance. Quieter than expected. Seats up tubeless with very little air leakage. Price.

Weaknesses:    Higher than expected rolling resistance. A little heavy (810 grams - 29er, folding)

Bottom Line:
Purchased these at Walmart under the Bell brand, officially modeled a 'Kingpin', but they ARE Caballeros. The tires even say CST on the sidewalls. The size is a 29, 2.25 and they cost $27.95 each. I'll spare repeating the strengths and weaknesses but, for the money they are pretty darn good tires. They grip better than my old Geax AKAs in Arizona desert conditions I feel more confident going into turns with this tire. I seated these up tubeless to Stan's Arch rims with minimal effort, save for having to use a compressor. They hold air pretty well with only a few psi leakage per week. Not a big deal if you check pressures before each ride, which you should do anyway.

I think the real benefit here will be the slower wear. I ride mostly trail but probably a quarter of my riding is spent on asphalt getting to the trails. My old Geax AKAs wore quickly in this scenario but the Caballeros seem to be wearing much better. The downside to these tires is the higher rolling resistance on pavement. It's definitely noticeable.

Not sure how much of a benefit this is yet, but the tread area has an extra layer of protection against puncture. This is really noticeable once you take the tires out of the box. The tread area is much stiffer than an ordinary tire which contributes to extra weight on the tire. The (new) Caballeros weighed about 100 grams more/tire than my old, worn GEAX tires. So far I haven't had any thorns punch far enough into the tread to have the Stan's come out. Maybe that’s a good thing here in AZ.

Unless something catastrophic happens with these tires, I'll probably continue to purchase them as I'm very satisfied so far.

Favorite Trail:   Any in Phx

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Walmart

Similar Products Used:   Geax AKA 29, 2.2

Bike Setup:   Felt Nine, Stan's Arches

Submitted by Serengetijack a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2012

Strengths:    I an very surprised with these tires for the value for money. It is one of the best "cheap" chinese products I have ever bought & used. Excelent grip in loose and rocky terrain. Awesome rolling for a relatively beafy tire. After one year I have had just one puncture, what it is surprissing in the terrain I drive.

Weaknesses:    Cannot think of any, really.

Bottom Line:
Best tires I have ever had so far and for half or a third of the price of more expensive brands (Maxxis, Specialized, Schwalbe). Your cannot go wrong with this.

Favorite Trail:   Calakmul jungle trails

Purchased At:   El Pedal

Similar Products Used:   Spesh Eskar (crap), Maxis Roller (good)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Pitch Pro 2009 with some carbon upgrades.

Submitted by crankit a All Mountain Rider from parker, az, usa

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2012

Strengths:    great puncture resistance, traction, durability

Weaknesses:    have not found one yet

Bottom Line:
i have used it for everything from cross country riding to dh/freeriding and have ridden on pretty much every type of terrain with this tire. big bear trails, honda valley, simi valley, bootleg canyon and parker, az. it is by far the best gripping tire i have found to this day. loose over hardpack, sand, lava rock, mud, logs it handles it all without a slip. and in the last year ive had it i have not had a single pinch flat or from thorns. it is super durable also it hardly shows any signs of wear no chunking, tears or cuts in tread or sidewalls. i will definitly continue to run this tire and am going to replace the nevegal on the rear with this tire soon. i recommend this tire to everyone for any type of riding.

Purchased At:   victorville cycles

Similar Products Used:   kenda nevagal, wtb mutano, michelin

Bike Setup:   '09 haro xeon with 160mm marzoochi 55tst air fork, rockshox pearl 3.3 rear shock for 160mm front and rear travel. shimano hydraulic disc 8" front/7" rear, shimano 12mm rear hub and 20mm front with wtb freeride wheels, shimano drivetrain 2x9 with azonic bashgaurd, azonic stem and riser bars, grips, seat, raceface evolve seatpost, cst cabalerro front tire/ kenda nevegal rear tire both 2.5

Submitted by Ridwan Prakasa a Cross Country Rider from Indonesia

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2011

Strengths:    This tire make me more confidence riding my bike at hardpack and semi wet condition. I have also tried in mud, not great but quite good tire at that price.

Weaknesses:    I have not find any weakness yet. I will try this tire in other track maybe for AM track to find out.

Bottom Line:
Very good grip for turn, climb and down at quite high speed.

Favorite Trail:   JPG Mountain Bike Park

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Local Indonesian brand and I think can not compare to Caballero.

Bike Setup:   Leonis 26" - Mix Shimano groupset - Suntour XCR fork and XCT Crank - Mix cockpit: Amoeba, UNO & United.

Submitted by GpzGuy a Weekend Warrior from Eastern WA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2011

Strengths:    Fantastic traction in hard and loose stuff, OK in mud (not great, but OK). Large volume with compliant sidewalls for lower pressure inflation

Weaknesses:    Not tubeless, lots of rolling resistance on pavement, even with steel beads they don't seal terribly well on the rims compared to WTB tires.

Bottom Line:
Great tire for the money. I'm riding these tires on my 29er in 29 x 2.25" At only $15 per tire, I figured I'd give them a try. They have the same tread pattern as the Maxxis Ignitors, just a lower TPI in the rubber and can't be run tubeless. No sweat, I have to run with heavy duty tubes slimed with Specialized sealant where I live due to the thorns anyway. On my Salsa Semi 29er rims (30mm wide) I commonly air down the tubes to 20 to 25 lbs with no worries in the loose stuff (wouldn't try that with lighter tubes though). So if you are looking for an inexpensive, high volume tire with a decent tread pattern (kind of halfway between a small block and mud knobbie), you can't go wrong with these tires.

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles