Continental X-King Race Sport Tire

You can have it all! Predictable cornering grip is combined with a fast-rolling tread pattern in Continental?s X-King Race Sport tire. Bump absorption

Submitted by Rojomas

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight, Low rolling resistance, Good volume.

Weaknesses:    Weak!!! Weak sidewalls, knobs rip off, expensive

Bottom Line:
I ran the X King as a rear tire. At first I really liked this tire. For a 2.4 it's pretty light, a low rolling resistance and has a lot of volume but I soon realized how low quality this tire was. The sidewalls are very thin, I probably rode it no more than 6 times before the sidewall burst. When it tore there were no rocks or anything in the area that I could of ripped the tire on, it just burst. On further inspection I notice a lot of threads were starting to show and I was missing knobs.

If you're looking for a high volume, fast, disposable tire then this tire is for you. But IMHO, this tire is way too expensive for how low the build quality is.

Submitted by Ben a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2012

Strengths:    Light, fast and good in sandy conditions.

Weaknesses:    Expensive. Needed a compressor to setup tubeless. Poor performance in all other condition

Bottom Line:
I bought a set of these tyres (26 x 2.4) because of their large volume and light weight. Setting them up tubeless required a compressor but they seal up and hold air quite well.

Out on the trail, they roll fast for such a large tyre and seem to handle sandy conditions better than most. Unfortunately that's where their strengths ends.

I found the grip to be below average(especially in wet conditions), even at low pressures. They are one of those tyres that when they lose traction, they do so with no warning and no chance for a recovery. My bike and I have the scars to prove it.

Haven't been using them long so I can't comment on their durability but I'm not expecting them to last very long.

I can only recommend it to people who corner gently and brake lightly, looking for a large volume tyre or people riding in soft.sandy conditions. For everyone else, there are much better options.

Favorite Trail:   tight twisty technical singletrack

Purchased At:   wiggle

Similar Products Used:   Lots! Current favourite is panaracer rampage 2.35

Bike Setup:   Surly 1x1 rigid. Crest rims setup tubeless with stans sealant.

Submitted by MSU Alum a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2012

Strengths:    Weight, volume, low rolling resistance, cush feel, relative grip.

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
I'm 60 years old, 165 lbs. Live in Park City Utah, which is where these are reviewed, on lower trails, as there's still snow above about 8500 feet. 2012 Continental X-King RS 2.4 inch front and back, run tubeless on Crest rims with Stans sealant. They also ride well with tubes. I have about 100 miles on them, now. My primary focus is climbing performance...I'm NOT a downhiller. It would be crazy to look at a tire like this if you want to run The Whole Enchilada with body armor!
1. Setting up tubeless is difficult, but with patience, it'll work. Scrub out the inside of the tire to remove the waxy residue from manufacturing. Put in at least three scoops of Stans. There will be multiple pin holes and leaks. They will fill in over the course of 2 to 10 days. Then remove all but about one scoop. The final product will be up by about 70 grams over the original tire. Better than a 170 gram tube.
2. I run the rear at 25 PSI and the front at 22 PSI (using a quality gauge!). They ride smoothly, low resistance with no fold over tendency at those pressures for my style of riding...I slow down for corners...
3. Inflated, the tire dimensions are: Carcass width: 58 MM. Tread width: 57 MM. For comparison, they are almost identical in size to the WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55 (a 780 gram tire which I also like. They are slightly larger than my 2.3 inch Tioga Psycho Genius's, another of my favorites.). They came in at 540 grams and 560 grams for the two I got.
4. I've been riding up here for over 20 years. There's a ride I do that is 8 miles and about 1300 feet of climbing. Until now, my best time was 55:35. The other day, on the X-Kings, I rode it in 53:51. THAT'S VALUE, when you're my age.
I don't know if they'll last long, but while they're in one piece, they're great. I have to spend the kid's inheritance anyway.
5. Best use would be for XC type trail riding where weight is an issue. For Moab, my Psycho/Weirwolf combo goes back on. Around here, where the trails start at 7000 feet and often have 3000 feet of climbing, I think I'm-a-gonna like these.

Favorite Trail:   The Whole Enchilada

Purchased At:   Biketiresdirect

Similar Products Used:   Older Continental mountain king. Due to their size/weight, it's hard to find a tire that compares. Possibly Racing Ralph?

Bike Setup:   2005 Yeti 575 carbon, PUSHed rear shock, 120-150 Revelation U-turn air fork, XT crankset, Stan's Crest wheelset, XO rear D, XT front, XO twist shifters, Monkeylight bar, Stroker Carbon brakes w/160 rotors, eggbeaters. With these tires, 24.54 lbs.