Continental Twister Pro Tire

4.29/5 (58 Reviews)
Weight : 450 grams

A fast rolling tire designed for cross country competition and all-around performance. The Twister Pro is lighter than semi-slicks and offers improved traction particularly in wet conditions. Included in the "Endless Edge" family, the Twister Pro tread design features five-sided lugs precisely- positioned for a effortless handling, predictable steering and responsive breaking under a full range of conditions. Also available as Twister Pro Dual and Twister Pro Tection.
  • TwisterPro 47-559 (26 x 1.9) 510 grams-wire 450 grams-foldable
  • TwisterPro Dual 47-559 (26 x 1.9) 510 grams-wire 450 grams-foldable
  • TwisterProTection 47-559 (26 x 1.9) 520 grams-wire 460 grams-foldable

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by grantdoug a Cross Country Rider from Iloilo, Philippines

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2010

Strengths:    Unnaturally good climbing and handling ability on a variety of trails, despite the very light weight of the tire.

Weaknesses:    Wears fast on roads, vulnerable to puncture and sidewall damage. *** Note *** When mounted tubeless, my tire went flat overnight. I found micro leaks in the sidewall by submersing the wheel in a big tub of soapy water. I could see the leaks exclusively where the lettering "Continental" was stamped, and only on one side of the wheel. Strange... but true. Solution: when mounting tubeless, the sidewalls are thin enough to allow nearly microscopic air leaks that may cause the tire to go mysteriously flat overnight, or perhaps on a long ride.

You can solve this problem by "putting the tire to bed" at night sideways while pressured up to 40 lbs. Flip them over after a couple of hours. This allows the liquid to plug up those little holes. You will see bead of condensation on the sidewall as the sealant plugs the micropores.

Bottom Line:
    This is a racing / high performance tire, and one doesn't expect it to be indestructible.

I set up my Twisters in tube config and then in tubeless. In tubed config here in Philippines I have had three flats due to lots of pointy things in the road and on the trails.

Switching to tubeless, see above - you must condition the tire in a sideways position.

I pounded my tires mercilessly on rocky downhills at high speeds (40kph), climbed 25% grades, and taken them on 155k road rides. I've also ridden them through horrible mud and sand. I depressurized the tires to 25 psi in the goop, trusting Continental engineering and that worked.

In a competitive riding situation, these tires are hard to beat. I would not recommend them for recreational or training use; take them off your bike when you are done racing.

Favorite Trail:   Guimaras

Purchased At:   Gea Bike Shop, Iloil

Similar Products Used:   Mythos IRC

Bike Setup:   2010 Anthem X, Mavic SLR with Tubeless Twister Pro Sonic setup, Shimano XTR 2010 10 Speed

Submitted by Lewis a Cross Country Rider from Ashford, Kent, UK

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2007

Strengths:    Good for speed when new

Weaknesses:    Punctures! Wear, Durability, Strengh

Bottom Line:
    I Have to say i've used these for 7 Months and am very surprised at the wear... both the front and back tyres are completely bald. I use my bike for commuting mainly to school and to the other side of town and a few 40-60+ Mile rides, usually rack up about 80 miles a week. Have done 2100 Miles on these tyres and they seriously need replacing, i do very little off road on them, i just stick to the pathways, cycle lanes and roads. Punctures are endless! ( as i seem to find with most continental tyres!) Before i fitted slime tape on the front and paneracer kevlar tape on the rear i could be gettin upwards of 3-2 puntures a week! A large piece of glass i ran over managed to slash the front tyre and a thorn did the same on the rear one. Only Positive's i can say is they have good grip during the summer months when the road and tyres are warm and when new you can get moderae speed on out of them (nto great...they are still knobblies). I'm going to be changing to either Specialized Hemisphere's or Michelin TransWorld City's. In the mean time i'm going to get as much life as i can out of these dead things.

Bike Setup:   2006 Carrera Fury 18' Hardtail

Submitted by Evgeniy a Weekend Warrior from Moscow, Russia

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2006

Strengths:    Speedy, noisless and great control on any surfaces and ground conditions - dry, rain or forest mud or wet sand. You can run like hell with it, especially after some OEM tires.

Weaknesses:    Do not much puncture resistance.

Bottom Line:
    This is first choice for people who want some lightweight fancy speedy tires in concret jungle/forest or fields situation. I don't know how it works on rocky surfaces. I try to use Panaracer Flat Away ribbon with that Twisters to prevent flats.

Favorite Trail:   Bitzevskiy park

Purchased At:   Sokol'niki

Similar Products Used:   Something heavy from Cheng Shin Tire (OEM).

Bike Setup:   Kona Lana'i 2002, totally upgraded.

Submitted by Nate Byrom a Racer from California

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2006

Strengths:    Great traction in all conditions. I race in allot of sand and mud and never lose traction. They also work great in hard packed dirt and.

Weaknesses:    Since they are nylon you shouldnt use them just trail riding. I use them only for racing then taked them off when done.

Bottom Line:
    the best tires in the world!

Bike Setup:   giant anthem 1

Submitted by Corstian Devos a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2006

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance. Good cornering, even in wet and loose conditions in varied terrain. Wears well in normal conditions. As a steering tire I have not met its performance match. Then again, once I found it I stopped looking!!

Weaknesses:    For lightness all tires give up thickness. Thorns and the occasional metal bit will sometimes cause a puncture. However, if those are your normal riding conditions you aren't going to mount this tire. As a big guy (6' 3" 230-240 Lbs) I have never mounted this as a drive tire because the lack of tread depth would have me spinning out on too many climbs.

Bottom Line:
    I have run this tire for 5 years and hundreds of miles now as my main front tire. In all conditions it has performed remarkably well. From clay in the rain (Kelso Conservation Area, Milton, ON, Canada) to sand (Santa Mesa, CA, USA) to rock (Winter Park, CO, USA) to combinations (Pennypack Park, Philadelphia, PA) this tire has kept me rolling light and turning sharp. I chose it for low rolling resistance and the "endless tread" design and I have not been disappointed. I have never run this as a back tire and cannot comment on its traction or performance as a drive tire. However, as a steering tire in all conditions it works for me and I am buying a new one!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Any trail is a good trail

Purchased At:   Re-My Sports, Streetsville, ON, Canada

Similar Products Used:   Many. Too tired to list.

Bike Setup:   Giant AC-1 frame. Old original Judy front fork off my old Warp DS-1 (I broke 4 but the fork has survived) with heavy duty springs. (I weigh 230-240 lbs) XT all around the drive train. Sachs 40 chain. Original aluminum Avid Rollamajig. Hayes mechanical MX-2 disc brakes with Avid 5.0 Speed Dial levers. 6" front rotor (warranty is my friend) and 8" rear rotor. Avid Flak Jacket cable system. Oury DH grips which work nice for my big hands. Fizik (Giro) Atlas seat. SH 858 pedals (they work for me). Blackspire Big Ring Protector. Twister Pro on the front and WTB Tyranno Raptor paddled for traction on the back. Bike built for punishment not beauty!!!

Submitted by mcnuff a Weekend Warrior from Beijing, China

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    Price, cornering grip on wet at loose terrain, puncture protection

Bottom Line:
    I joined two fun races with these tyres.
    - A fun race at the 2008 Beijing Olympics track at Laoshan/Beijing. Short & narrow track which actually looks more like a cyclocross track (certainly not a mountain bike track!). Finished the race (one of the exceptions as more than half the pack had flats..) but 30 secs after finishing both tyres were completely flat! I counted in total 32 puncture holes (both wheels). For a 12 KM fun race that is not a very good report for these tyres (nor for the upcoming olympic track!). Perhaps tubeless will be the way to go...as I do not see the Chinese Olympic officials cleaning all the thorns from the track). Besides the flats, the tyres were running pretty well and fast rolling on this hard soil.

- A marathon race of 100km on loose terrain on which these tyres simply showed to be a disaster in terms of traction and cornering grip. The rubber knobs also peeled off far too fast.

Purchased At:   Bike Brothers

Similar Products Used:   Many...

Bike Setup:   Trek 6500

Submitted by Matt a Racer from Midwest

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2005

Strengths:    Super light! Low rolling resistanse.

Weaknesses:    The grip on these tires sucks. I find them only usable on hardpack and slightly sticky. These tires fail on any loose soil or sand. SAND is terrible!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
    I don't like them. I don't ride them. I don't recommend them. These are blazing fast but fail with any loose dirt or mud. I wish my WTB and Ritchey tire matchup was as light as these. *sigh*

Favorite Trail:   Claustraphobic Singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Continental Atlanta and Double Fighter, Hutchinson Mosquito, Michelin Wildgripper, Ritchey Mudmax (damn good), WTB Primal Raptor (AWESOME!!!)

Bike Setup:   Neptune al frame, XT/Sun pro wheels, Manitou SX-e fork, Dura-Ace single speed drivetrain, Thompson, Kore. SRAM 7.0 drivetrain (when using gears) and XTR crankset.

Submitted by Martijn a Cross Country Rider from H.I.Ambacht

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2005

Strengths:    Light, grippy, low rolling restistance

Weaknesses:    Not the most puncture proof, not to durable when used on the road

Bottom Line:
    I use the SuperSonic version and I love it to death!
    Looking at my riding style (hard and rough) and the millage a do on the road I still can't complain about how long they last me.
    When you want durable tires for allround use look somewhere else.

I use them front and rear from late spring till late summer and replace the front with a Explorer SuperSonic when autumn comes or things get realy muddy and wet.
    Even in mud they give me enough tration at the rear and you can drift the rearwheel when you want to.
    They shine on hardpack and are good enough for experianced riders on wet roots and rocks.
    They are not the best tires on sharp rocks because of the thin cassing but when you ride smooth it's not a very big problem.

For me they are one f the best lightweight tires on the market today!

Favorite Trail:   Portes Du Soleil

Purchased At:   www.starbike.com

Similar Products Used:   Conti Explorer Supersonic, Ritchey Z-max HDK, Specialized Groundcontrol/master, Schwalbe Black Shark SX (the best ever)

Bike Setup:   Cube Airwing Blackline and Storck Adrenalin Race full suspentions; both full of XTR, Chris King, Syntace. Thomson, Race Face and Tune. (and lots of other super stuff)

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2004

Strengths:    Rolls nicely, grips well.

Weaknesses:    Manageable in sand and wet conditions probably not the best.

Bottom Line:
    Great tires. I've been riding them now for a year and they've handled everything from hardpack to loose dirt and gravel to the rock fields of Slatyfork.

No complaints about flats (I'm fairly light-weight though), even after riding over tons of rocks on a hardtail. I ride 40-45 PSI on the trails.

I would definitely buy these tires again - after I try what else is out there, since these are only my second pair.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockster Sport (OEM stock tire)

Bike Setup:   Fully modified Specialized Rockhopper

Submitted by Pawe³ a Cross Country Rider from Lodz, Poland

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2004

Strengths:    Really low rolling resistance. Amazingly good grip for a super-inflated semislick, even on steep uphills and during really low cornering.

Weaknesses:    A bit too heavy (Twisters Pro with wire). "Tricky" behavior on sand or in mud.

Bottom Line:
    The cheapest version of the Twister may not be quite as useful and appealing to XC racers as the supersonics but it will be a great choice for someone who doesn't want to spend all his savings and have a great tire for everyday, long-distance use - one that won't drain his energy even when he's spending his sixth hour on the saddle. And besides... they look good and they handle well... taking into consideration that they are semislicks.

I made a good and conscious choice.

P.S. THey don't wear as fast as some people may tell you.
    ...but the weight...

Ah, maybe I'll have the supersonics next time :-D

Favorite Trail:   XC trails in Europe's biggest forest complex within citi limits - £agiewniki

Purchased At:   my mechanic's at Kiliñskiego 5

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos XC 1.95

Bike Setup:   Author Vision frame with LX/XT components and a six-year-old Mozo Pro :-)

Submitted by Mark Lohnes a Cross Country Rider from Alaska

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2004

Strengths:    light weight, grippy, low rolling resistance, narrow width

Weaknesses:    higher than normal wear

Bottom Line:
    The Twister Pro Supersonic model is what I have been using year-round as my commuting and trail tire and I have been very, very happy with the performance. Even in the winter, just lowering the pressure a hair yields a significant increase in traction, with out too much rolling resistance. In fact, this tires responds well to tire pressure adjustments...no doubt due to the thin cases. I really like the narrow width, as most tires are getting wider and my style appeals to the narrow versions. In the summertime, this tire seems capable of handling everything I encounter...except the very slick and slimy rocks and roots, in which case it slides...a lot. They are SWEET on single track and fire-roads. In sand they are so, so, but this is not a sandy condition tire either, so my expectations are not high in this area.

I have not had problems with excessive s flats, nor do I have any complaints about the sidewall wearing out. I suspect that mismatched tires to terrain and riding style may be affecting other riders who have this issue with this tire. I have not tried the Protection version...but I expect no difference other than more weight.

Over all this is a great tire who can use them as they are intended...for me they have been great. No complaints.

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   All Conti models and several Ritchey Z-Max versions

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel, full XTR...

Submitted by Seth a Cross Country Rider from West Haven, Ct, US

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2003

Strengths:    Fast tire w/ low roll resist. Grips better than it would appear to at first glance. The yellow/orange strip is almost a perfect match with my supercal's fork.

Weaknesses:    HORRIBLE wear rate. After about a month, the yellow strip which runs down the center of the tire has been worn through in some places(possibly partly b/c of my dumb-arss friends doing skids), but bad nonetheless. Very suseptible to puncture flats, esp. thorns.

Bottom Line:
    I really like the tire, and the low roll resist is a plus. Problems with the wear and punctures have been a nuisence, and b/c of the non-fold bead, tire is very difficult to change. Excellent tire, nonetheless. Would purchase again, but consider using different tires if riding any road. Get'em cheap on ebay; for this availability I will increase my retail price rating of 4 chilis to 5 if bought for cheap. Wear is a problem; only 4 overall.

Favorite Trail:   anything fast and tight

Purchased At:   Lbs

Similar Products Used:   WTB race raptor, veloceraptor

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Supercaliber

Submitted by Stump a Racer from Watertown, MA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2003

Strengths:    Light, fast rolling, great grip considering the low profile knobs, looks fast/cool......

Weaknesses:    none.....although it will wear fast if you use as a regular tire........but why would you, it's a RACE tire.

Bottom Line:
    This tire rocks! KEEP IN MIND IT'S MEANT FOR RACING!

I used this tire for several XC racers and this years 24/Holiday Farm......for all intent and purposes it worked very well. It's most at home on hardpack and tacky dirt. It will drop down into the mud before it digs it's way out (isn't that what a good mud tire should do?).

The only time I felt it lacking was in a race that was held on a drizzly, humid day (roots/rocks were real "sweaty")....I had a lot of spin outs on this day, but still managed to stay upright.

Combine this tire with an explorer up front and you'll have a great race tire combo. Always, always, always buy Conti tires in the "protection" version.....they just work better: more durable, especially with the notubes.

I agree with other reviewers this tire will wear quickly, but what RACE tire doesn't (keep it off the pavement...knobbies belong on dirt). Use it for it's intended use and you'll be racing on it for a few years.

This tire is all about speed and racing.......if you use it as a regular tire, enjoy it but DON'T complain if it wears quickly.

I don't think it's just me, maybe it is.......does it seem to y'all out there that way too many reviewers knock a product b/c it doesn't do something it wasn't intended to do in the first place?

Either way, assume tire......it's fast, grippy and wears very well for it's intended use, RACING!

Purchased At:   notubes.com

Similar Products Used:   wtb, specialized, klimax lite, verts, survivals, etc, etc, etc.....I've used a ton of tires over the years

Bike Setup:   truth....tires are mounted to 317s using Stan's notube system.

Submitted by Darren a Cross Country Rider from Southampton, UK

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2003

Strengths:    Very light weight, unfeasibly good grip, low rolling resistance. Corners well on loose gravel despite appearances.

Weaknesses:    Appalling wear rate, very susceptible to thorn induced slow punctures (even with a thick inner tube). Not the best tyre for deep gravel/shingle/mud, but it works better under these conditions than it has a right to considereing the sparse, low knobs.

Bottom Line:
    The Supersonic flavour is tested here. The ultra-soft rubber compound and thin walls make for a super-fast grippy tyre that hugs every detail of the terrain, but also means that it's trashed after 2 months of weekend XC riding (about 30 hours of off-road use). Very prone to thorn punctures, and the canvas starts showing through long before the knobs start to wear down. A great tyre if you can use it for a couple of races before binning it, but not for recreational use. 5 Chillis for as-new performance, 1 chilli for value and durability.

Favorite Trail:   Plym Valley, Dartmoor

Purchased At:   Wiggle

Similar Products Used:   Continental Vertical Pro/Survival; Panaracer Trailblaster/Fire Mud; Bontrager Jones

Bike Setup:   Marin Attack Trail full sus, test tyre on rear wheel only.

Submitted by kevin a Racer from Chicago

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2003

Strengths:    Nice 1.8 profile, mud shedding (for those 10 ft mud sections anyway), low rolling resistance when used on the rear and explorer upfront, the protection version weighs 450grams and still resists sidewall cuts and works with Stan's. Climbs in all but the loosest gravel and soil. Grips roots and rocks and cornering and brake traction excellent. Hauls ass in dry hardpack with better grip then a semi-slick.

Weaknesses:    Get ready to replace it if you ride alot becuase of the soft compound. Real steep climbs that require out of saddle attacks with really loose soil will spin out and you will end up dismounting and running your bike up the climb.

Bottom Line:
    Its a great tire but I don't think it's that much better than and escape or explorer in the rear for rolling resistance and speed, even for racing. I would use it for courses and trails that are dry and hardpack with no loose gravel, otherwise I'll keep the explorer. It'll hook up with rocks and roots in dry. I used it in Utah and during fast downhill sections and the bike never really got away from me but the escape would have been better. The trade off for a small nobbed skinny tire that grips is wear. If you are running latex buy the protection version for reliability! It does what it's supposed to.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   everything but find Contis in general to be the best tires for performance and reliability for mixed trail conditions.

Bike Setup:   xtr disc hubs with 3.1 ust rims and stan's latex.

Twister Pro SPAM

check it out....... here's the link: [url]http://marketplace.consumerreview.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl?db=MtbReview&website=MtbReview&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=77644&query=retrieval[/url]Read More »

Fast Freds vs Twister Pro, what are your thoughts

I rode the Twisters here in New England in dry and a full on rain race (rear only in rain) and found them acceptable-now I'm wondering if the lighter Fast Freds have similar traction or lack of I should say! What have you found the + & -'s to be of these two?Read More »