Continental Trail King Tire

4.06/5 (33 Reviews)

Uses Continental's Black Chili compound TireType: Clincher Tire Diameter: 26" ISO Width: 54 mm ISO Diameter: 559 / 26" mtn Tire Bead: Folding PSI: 45 - 58 PSI Weight: 650.0 g

Submitted by Rich a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2015

Strengths:    Traction

Weaknesses:    Pinch flats and overall weight

Bottom Line:
Should be called Pinch Flat King!
Put the trail King on as a front tire only. (32 llbs with tube) My first impression was, it's a bit heavy, but it is a 2.4 (26er) so I'll deal with that. and it does have really good traction...but
Ride 1: Pinch flat after about 20 minutes
Ride 2: Pinch flat after about 30 minutes. This sucks, I'm done with this tire.

Maybe this tire only works tubeless, therefore I'll give it 2 stars

Duration Product Used:   2 rides

Bike Setup:   26" Trail king front tire.
26" Specialized ground control rear tire

Submitted by Vassago6 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2015

Strengths:    Excellent grip and control. Low rolling resistance. Looks great on your rig.

Weaknesses:    Can be difficult to set the bead.

Bottom Line:
Initial impressions; Conti TK's; protection, black chili, tubeless 2.4F/2.2R @ 40- 45 psi.
Mounting- went on fine but could not get the bead to set without having to employ the compressor. On the wheels, these look fantastic.
Only having these a week I've been able to log 18 asphalt miles and 84 trail miles. Central Texas (Austin / San Antonio)
On the paved surface, mixed concrete and blacktop, these tires roll smooth and easy, very low rolling resistance. A huge surprise for such a beefy case. Was able to maintain a steady cadence over extended periods, average 16.6 mph.
On the trail, All hail the King!!! Our trails are made up of a mix; hardpack, twisty single track, rocky creek beds, loose gravel banks, some muddy washes, root laden slopes and good powdery dirt. Short burst hill climbs and the always loved rocky drop ins. These tires roll fast and inspire confidence. They have pushed me to try and find more treacherous lines. Grip excellent through the twisties, handle the off-camber hillside lines, even the mud holes left by recent rains- these tires stuck to the off-camber, slippery bank with confidence. In fact, all of the varied terrain encountered proved no problem. It may be early and only time will provide the final verdict but WOW, These rock! In 3 months I'll follow up with an additional review. Hope that my opinion is the same as today. Danka Conti!!!!
Trails hit since installed: Barton creek greenway (Austin), Leon creek/ OP Schnabel and McAllister parks (San Antonio)

Favorite Trail:   Durango, CO

Duration Product Used:   One week

Purchased At:   Bike city, San anton

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal, Kenda Excavators

Bike Setup:   Ibis mojo, all mountain.

Submitted by Kostas a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2015

Strengths:    Very good traction and grip at most surfaces and conditions.
Can go easily at low pressures (I tried up to 35psi) with no any puncture problems in heavy Greek rock terrain.
Very low weight for the class and dimension.
Very good grip information.
Good braking in most conditions.
Very good in mud as an allrounder.

Weaknesses:    Not the best for wet loose gravel (but not bad)
Not the best for loose round stones.
Braking on loose gravel with leaves is not great.

Bottom Line:
I tested the Conti trail king Chili comp. Protection 2,2" in a KTM Prowler AT3 as a rear tyre.The tyre was that was I expected to be. In MOST conditions is a great tyre. It is not the best tyre in wet gravel and in braking over loose gravel with leaves but it is over average in these conditions.

Purchased At:   bike-components.de

Submitted by MTBKR

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2014

Strengths:    good traction on most surfaces. good traction to rolling resistance ratio

Weaknesses:    Side wall is week. I damaged two within 3 month with very low miles on them. I got no response to emails sent to customer service. hard to seal as tubeless on UST rims

Bottom Line:
I used the mountain king on the back and trail kings on the front. the mountain kings have been ok. but the trail kings both had side wall issues. one got a tear inside the rim, the other bulged so bad it was rubbing on the frame. I sent two emails to their us customer service in US (highwaytwo) asking for a replacement but have not heard back at all.

Similar Products Used:   trail kings, Minions, Hans Damf

Submitted by dirtrider76 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2014

Strengths:    Grip, volume, wear

Weaknesses:    The sidewalls tear easy!

Bottom Line:
I really like these tires in the 26x2.4 size. Great grip, tons of volume, wears well and even hooks up on our wet rock well. Sadly I killed 2 this year, the first I thought it was a fluke. Ripping through a turns and clipped a rock just right. The last one still had the nubs on it when the sidewall tore out! These are the only tires I've ever cut the sidewall open on and once their cut you realize how thin they are.

Favorite Trail:   Moon lake

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Clutch control, Weirwolf, HR2

Bike Setup:   Banshee Rune, fox36, blunt35's w/industry9's

Submitted by Dirk Ross a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2014

Strengths:    Great tire for SoCal trails.

Weaknesses:    None so far except it's a little tight for mounting on my rims.

Bottom Line:
I used Vertical Pros for years and really liked them. I was bummed out when they were discontinued but have used Trail Kings for a few years now and they are great for the trails I ride here in SoCal. Before I went tubeless I could run fairly low tire pressure on these - 30 front, 35 rear with getting pinch flats. I use the 2.2s for both of my bike but may check out a 2.4 for the front next time I buy tires.

Submitted by JCP a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2014

Strengths:    Phenomenal grip, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    A little tight when getting on the rim

Bottom Line:
Using the 2.2 as a rear tire. I was using the specialized purgatory control 2.3 which is a great tire in its own right. However I felt that the Purgatory would slip out on wet roots more so than most tires I've tried in the past. Tried the trail king 2.2 protection with the black chili compound. First of all, conti's usually run small, but I felt the trail kings were close to a true 2.2. I also have used the mountain king 2.2 which are considerably smaller. First thing I noticed about the trail king was the low rolling resistance. Very pleasantly surprised. In dry conditions, these grip as well as any other tire I have ever tried. The tires handled climbing and descending on varied terrain with ease. I credit that the the knob design and the black chili compound. You can lean into corners with absolute confidence. On wet roots, even when the trail king slip, you can feel the tire still trying to grab. Overall, very happy with the performance on wet roots. The price is awesome. I purchased these online for $45. I can't imagine ever using a different tire for the rear.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Similar Products Used:   So many tires I cant list them all

Submitted by thechez a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2013

Strengths:    Grip, cornering, transition, confidence, tough, easy to install

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
I have the Trail King 2.4 UST on the front of my FTM. Yes, it's a VERY heavy tire but not once do I worry about it cutting, blowing or losing it. It's built like a cast iron tank and affords you the confidence to attack the trail rather than work around it. It rolls decently for it's size and the lug pattern. The transition from the middle to the edge lugs is superb. It's a seamless transfer and is under control in all situations. This tire rolls a little slow on a packed dry trail but once it's up to speed it's fine. It grips in every condition. In the wet the Black Chili grabs rocks and roots with ease and doesn't allow much of anything to throw it off track. It doesn't clog up much with mud and the slick clay doesn't bother it too much(c'mon...what tire DOESN'T get affected by it?). If it weren't so darn heavy and large I'd have it on the back end. Instead, I got a 2.4 MKII which is a little smaller(a little).

Favorite Trail:   Ape Canyon

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Slant Six, Nevegal, Karma. Specialized Master Control. Geax AKA

Bike Setup:   Titus FTM, Blunt SL rims, King hubs. Revelation RCT3, Trail King 2.4UST(ft), Mountain King II 2.4(r).

Submitted by wilsonblur a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2013

Strengths:    Center traction, great wear, easy to set up as Tubless, high volume, great traction overall in anything, good cornering ability, very little tread block squirm, very predictable responses from casing and break away points. Roll decent for a big tire.

Weaknesses:    A little heav, but not too heavy, more size options, the difference between the 2.4 which is giant and the 2.2, which is tiny requires something in between. Little expensive too, barely fits the rear of my Nomad C.

Bottom Line:
I have the 2.4 Rubber Queens (trail kings purchased from Europe) with Apex sidewalls tubeless ready. Rocks, roots, wet, dry, loose over hardback these are flat out great tires. We rode the The Whole Enchilada downhill in Moab twice last year and the conditions vary from wet rooty slippery rocks, to loose over hard pack, to sand stone all in one ride. These tires are incredibly grippy and predictable in all those conditions. I ran mine about 24 PSI front and 26 PSI rear on my Nomad C never burped or rolled. We have this trail called Apex and it puts tires in their graves. I have wrecked tires from four different companies on this trail. After about 500 miles I got a thorn in the casing and it was leaking. I assumed Stan's would seal it. Bad mistake with to little air pressure at Mach 5 speeds I cut the sidewalk on the rim repeatedly hitting tomahawk type rocks. User error. I tried some Hans Dampf's as replacements. The HD's puncture easier, don't wear as well, and the knobby's squirm a lot in corners with hardpack. My HD's have more wear after 250 miles than my RQ/TK's did after a full season. The HD's Corner slightly better but don't hook up as well in off camber situations and aren't nearly as predictable. The HD is a good tire but I prefer how predictable the RQ/TK is.

Honestly Bike mag just crowned it their favorite tire right after naming it their runner up to the Dampf. Those guys who are writing its the worst tire ever surely don't have the Black Chili version and I would go UST or Protection version for sure.Don't bother with the other versions of the tire. I ride AM in CO, plenty or rocks, jumps and drops as well as choppy techy high speed descents for reference.

Favorite Trail:   The Whole Enchilada

Purchased At:   Classifieds MTBR

Similar Products Used:   Kenyan Nevegal, Hans Dampf, Nobby nic's, vertical Pro, specialized Eskar and Ground Control

Bike Setup:   Nomad C

Submitted by Wade

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2013

Strengths:    Fills the rear triangle of my KOXX red sky very closely. Sticks to obstacles like a trials bike should. Lighter than a Try-All sticky lite. Excellent for the smaller riders that cannot preload a 2 ply tire as well. Lively feel on the rear of a trials bike if you don't like the dead feel of most dh tires. I run this tire between 14 - 24 psi depending on the sections features. Have had no issues with sidewalls from low pressure operation in trials.

Weaknesses:    Not for the heavy basher style rider. Elephants need not apply!

Bottom Line:
Excellent trials rear tire for well skilled smooth riders

Submitted by David

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2013

Strengths:    Ride here in Eugene Oregon and the 2.2 version Trail King grabs wet roots, rocks and mud better than the Nevagal did and is lighter.

Weaknesses:    Had difficulty setting up the tire tubeless since it's not tubeless specific. Ended up putting a little Stans into the tire, put a tube in and pumped it up till the bead snaped into my Stans Tubeless rims. Once the bead was set and the tire formed into position I undid the bead on one side leaving the other bead secured and was able to pull the tube and pump up the tire allowing it to seat nicely and hold air. Never had this problem with Nevagals since they're tubeless ready and was able to just pump them up easily with a floor pump. After this the tires leaked Stans in tiny bits out the side so I had to do a lot of tire shaking to work the Stans latex into the pin holes. After 3 days of checking the tires day and evenin and re-pumping and re-shaking they finally held air well and I was able to complete a long ride without any air seepage. Pain in the butt but they grab better and I wanted to shave a pound of weight off the tires. Worth the effort.

Bottom Line:
Once seated and sealed a great tire. I'm hoping they hold onto the rim ok with some 3-4 foot drops and technical riding through rocks. They do bite well and they're lighter than Nevagals.

Submitted by Woofer2609 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2013

Strengths:    Big casing, looks like a true 2.2 noteTHIS IS A REVIEW FOR THE 2.2, lightweight, good traction, seems to roll fast. This tire has lots of volume= cushy ride. If I can, I might try and run the 2.4 on my hardtail.

Weaknesses:    soft casing, but that's what happens when you weigh this little, other than that, not much. Sidewall tends to fall apart if run at really low pressure

Bottom Line:
Well, seeing as this tire was free, with almost new tread from the recycle pile at MEC, I cannot complain. I needed a tire and it was there. I got a flat on it first time out, but I always run double walled Kenda Kinetics that weigh 1000 grams, so this at 700 is a flyweight. I have experimented with many pressures, and at 160lbs, I feel the correct tire pressure to avoid any pinch flats is 20-21lbs. This might, however, not avoid rim damage from a large impact higher than 18" for true XC work, it works well. I would not free ride with this as the sidewalls deform, tread seems to grip the trails here in North Vancouver pretty well, lotsa roots and rocks and always wet. The correct pressure is the key. They have a nice amount of volume, and pair nicely with Rhyno Lites (which are anything but, and negate any weight savings) This tire is comfortable being ridden for all mountain I feel, if you are lightweight.

Duration Product Used:   4 mos

Similar Products Used:   well, mmm...tires? Usually stiffer sidewalls, but put bike on diet, oh, and were free.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail dirt jumper used as XCX rig.

Submitted by jacksonoreillyjunior a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2012

Strengths:    Volume, grip, & wear. I'm comparing these to Nevegal 2.35 x 26, both DTC & Stick-E, which I used exclusively for 6 or 7 years prior on various bikes. I changed to Trail King 2.4 x 26 folding/conventional (not UST), front and rear on Mojo HD 160 in July, 2012. The tall sidewalls make my bike a "26.5-incher", or so, and the high volume allows me to run at least 5 psi lower than Nevegal. Cornering is waaaaaay better than Nevegal - the grip is confidence-building. I didn't expect the black chili rubber to wear so much better compared to Nevegal DTC (& therefore much, much better than Stick-E) - making the higher price of these tires about the same as Nevegals, maybe less. Can't say enough positive - riding no tubes (Stan's) on technical singletrack (granite and roots, often wet), never a snakebite, even though once or twice while running very low pressure in wet conditions over rocky terrain I have felt the rim just barely kiss the tire. The 2.4 are also significantly wider than Nevegal 2.35, which adding stability. I did originally try these tires 2.4 front/2.2 rear, however the 2.2 in the rear, while obviously lighter, has smaller knobs and lower volume, and doesn't hold in cornering and didn't have that volume which or allow me to run lower pressure, as I do with the 2.4.

Weaknesses:    Weight - I'm a recovering weight weenie, so the rotational momentum climbing at low speed on technical singletrack is significantly higher & noticeable than with 2.35 Nevegal -- I'm hoping it's making me stronger even though still slower. I am though quite certain that there's less rolling resistance with Trail King compared to Nevegal.

Bottom Line:
Heavy & pricey, but worth it for the cornering & downhill stability & longer wearing rubber. I feel much more confident on these tires.

Favorite Trail:   soooooooo many!

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal 2.35, both DTC & Stick-E for many years.

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo HD 160 (Small frame)

Submitted by tlefko a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2012

Strengths:    I can't in good conscience state any strengths when the weaknesses were so great

Weaknesses:    Incredibly weak tires!
Very expensive!
Do not hook up quite as well as other tires that cost half as much.
You cannot and should not under any circumstance freeride with these tires

Bottom Line:
I bought these tires based on the reviews posted and due to the fact that I used to run Continental tires (Comp Pro's) when I did much more cross country riding and love them. Unfortunately these tires are horrendous. I normally run Nevegals and the 20 or so guys I ride with have all, at one time or another, commented on how much I slip out with these tires. The seems to hook up well on solid rock but when you get into anything other than solid rock they just don't hold well. They have much less rolling resistance than other tires I've used and they are definitely lighter. Although lighter usually means weaker! Three of my buddies have complained bitterly about how these tires warp if you push them too hard and sure enough it happened this weekend. I was running through some berms and heard my tires make what I thought was a tearing sound. I just thought it was the tire biting into the berm until the tire started banging into the frame. Brand new tire warped into uselessness with less than probably 15 miles on it! No tire should behave this way and certainly not one that costs $70+!!! To be honest I had never heard of this happening before these tires.
I would absolutely not recommend these tires if you do anything other than cross country riding. That pretty much eliminates any riding since you are not going to cross country ride with a 2.4"....

Favorite Trail:   lynn woods