Continental Traffic Tire

4.16/5 (25 Reviews)
Weight : 840 grams MSRP : $20.99

The Continental Taffic is a mild tread design for pavement as well as gravel and light trails. Will provide grip and traction under all weather conditions.

Submitted by Crucky a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2014

Strengths:    Asphalt grip, cornering

Weaknesses:    easy to install but not easy to seat correctly in rim (this was my first time, maybeit's always that way!)

Bottom Line:
After reading a few reviews online about some of these tires being out of round, I found my rear tire with a terribly low spot on the initial test run.. and the front with the tread pattern going wildly left to right, back and forth.. but after deflating and coaxing for a bit, they were just fine. Great grip and cornering, quiet, smooth. Picks up small gravel in tread on trails, but no biggey. Huge improvement over stock mtb tires on road. Needed very low tire pressure to have a comfortable ride, I'm over 200 lbs and these tires look and ride firm at half pressure, 30lbs. w slime tubes. Seem narrow for a 2.1, easily fit in my 90s Fuji.

Purchased At:   hash tag bikes

Bike Setup:   91 Fuji thrill

Submitted by Unknown a Cross Country Rider from Greece

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2011

Strengths:    Strong,strong sidewalls,moderate rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Heavy,and not so fast

Bottom Line:
Its a good tire if u re looking for a cheap one that you can have fun with and be able to know that it wont flat(in comparison with my previus Koyotes it is much more puncture resistant)easily,its the tire for you.
But beare in mind that this tire only works on light trails.I currently have it on the back,and i can feel the difference...its a bit heavy!
Good tire though,good for the price

Favorite Trail:   From roads to rocky trails

Purchased At:   Global Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Koyote

Bike Setup:   Ideal Pro Rider

Submitted by Adirondacker a Cross Country Rider from Queensbury, New York, USA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2011

Strengths:    Narrow profile (26 x 1.9), medium-high pressure tire @ 65 max psi, durable, reliable (no flats on road after 2000 miles), smart looking and fast!

Weaknesses:    Fast hard angle cornering on blacktop not recommended.

Bottom Line:
Intended for road and light trail use, I wanted more safety and better cross-functionality than with slicks. I found the pair to be exceptionally durable, reliable and fast. Today, I installed my second pair after 2000 miles on first. No flats! I just put the old pair out at curbside for a neighborhood kid to pick up and enjoy the remaining life left on the tires.
Couldn't be happier - highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   N/A - review is for road use

Purchased At:   bicyclewarehouse.com

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Mongoose IBOC Pro. Shockless.

Submitted by Subaru_Nation555 a Weekend Warrior from Arlington, VA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2011

Strengths:    Versatile, smooth, tread life, traction, attractive, seem durable

Weaknesses:    Kinda heavy

Bottom Line:
I purchased this tire as a jack-of-all-trades for some occasional gravel/light trails as well as commuting. This tire serves both purposes very well. As the name suggests it is more oriented toward pavement but does just fine on the rough stuff. A versatile little tire to say the least.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Submitted by Scottmandoo a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2010

Strengths:    Versatility, Robustness, Price, Hard pack traction

Weaknesses:    Mud and sealed pavement traction, Construction

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the latest model which is not pictured above. It has a much different tread pattern. They come in 1.9 or 2.1, I have the 2.1's.

I like to ride the roads to my favorite local trails and use my bike to run errands in town, so I needed a tire that would do everything for a good price. I considered many tires including the Holy Roller but wanted something that had a bit more side lug. I'm pleased with the Contis. They roll excellently on anything hard and grip surprisingly well on hardpack, loam, and a little loose-over-hard when leaned over as well as climbing or braking. They're a fairly hard compound so I expect them to last a long time although this obviously gives up max grip, but that's a compromise I'm OK with. Over sharp rocks and gravel they show no signs of abuse at all. Lastly I really couldn't pass up the price, under $20 for each on sale.

I'm not thrilled with construction, the casing looks like it was molded poorly with some malformed lugs and not all of the center tread matches up on each side. So far they are holding up fine though. They also have extremely weak cornering grip on anything wet and especially sealed tarmac which is like ice whether it's wet or dry. The tread will also pack up with mud immediately.

For the price and intended jack-of-all-trades use I think these are a good choice.

Favorite Trail:   Carvin's Cove

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   WTB Primal Raptor, Maxxis Ridgeline, Maxxis C1040N

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Apex

Submitted by abboberg a Cross Country Rider from shoreview

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2010

Strengths:    Very low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Going through sand

Bottom Line:
I knew they were fast on the road, but I hung these tires up for a couple of years because of my problems going through soft sand - the bike was all over the place! After struggling on the Hutchinson tires doing training rides with my Cat 2 racer son, I ended up going back to these tires. What a difference! I can almost stay with him now most of the time. Because of the closed center area, these tires roll on hardpack trails about as fast as they roll on asphalt - which is very fast indeed! I have learned to adapt to the soft sand by letting the bike drift sideways and not fighting it. Surprising, these tires carve as well in the corners as my opened-tread Hutchinsons. If I raced, these are the tires I would use!

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Hils

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Toro, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element 50

Submitted by chadd a Cross Country Rider from reading, pa

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2009

Strengths:    fast, tready, looks great

Weaknesses:    none, buy the 2.1 instead of 1.9, diesel is better!

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a hybrid tire. I run a lot of free ride both street and trail. This thing is great, when I put them on I could feel the tire roll faster on blacktop and they grip awesome on hardpack and not even so bad on loose. I took them out in the mud today for the first time and they broke loose a little, but I still made all my climbs, and didn't break loose anywhere really. good all around, fast on the road without sacrificing traction on the trail. not to mention they look badass. all black with Traffic in white on the side. If you want a little bit of everything, this is the one for you.

Favorite Trail:   alums creek ohio

Purchased At:   great adventure spor

Similar Products Used:   mosquito dirt tire

Bike Setup:   jamis full suspension

Submitted by bigfan a Weekend Warrior from folsom ca

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2009

Strengths:    Nice smooth roll - perfect for the combination of riding I do to get to trails. Great on paved, fire roads, hard pack single track. Have not yet had in anything wet or sloppy. But that is what the Panracer's are now for - mudding.

Weaknesses:    heavy and no-folding version available.

Bottom Line:
A really nice tire for on and off road combo use. For such good on road behavior it is surprisingly good on hard pack anything. I'd like to try to Kenda Small Block 8 as it would drop some weight. But these are great everyday tires that will get me through any basic trails. Versatile, handle great, roll fast. I can live without the beadless with all those great things.

Favorite Trail:   along the river

Purchased At:   LBS in Davis, CA

Similar Products Used:   Scott tubeless micro block.

Bike Setup:   RM Blizzard, Mavic 517 on Hope hubs, Marz Marathon Bomber S 100M

Submitted by LilShit a Racer from Westminster, Co, Jefferson

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2009

Strengths:    Lasts retardedly long, and holds up to the local vegetation like a tank to a vs a geo metro.

Weaknesses:    None it does its job better than intended and for a cheap commuter tire the weight is fine, for those complaining ditch your crappy hybrid and get a real bike.

Bottom Line:
Good tires; I was a manager at the Westminster perf and believe me I have meet plenty of f-tards like this ones who wrote the crappy review in this post. The tires hold up extreamly well, roll fast, do great on and around Denver trails, they dont hook up to great when wet (but that's a trade off you take with a hard compound)

The person who used wire cutters is a impatient moron I can mount 3ply dh tires on my fr bike by hand with no tools; you need to know how to properly change a tire to do these in a timely fashion- push the bead into the center of the rim then slowly work from one side to the other working the bead over the lip while keeping the rest of the bead in the valley. Don't be a jack ass and post about how you should have let your lbs do the work and not you if you set the bead properly it will be fairly center and round.

Favorite Trail:   Mathew Winters, The blvd at trestle

Purchased At:   Perf

Similar Products Used:   To many to list

Bike Setup:   The xc assault commuter saint cranks, avid ti, xt everything else, 1st gen bb7's, xt hubs, tioga dh rims, exrpro fork, and a old supergo access frame.

Submitted by cunnilinux a Weekend Warrior from kyiv, ukraine

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2008

Strengths:    the best ever all-rounder i know.
very low rolling resistance.
stable on different surfaces
durability

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy
NO FOLDING VERSION :(
quite hard to mount (as any conti i used, it requires some special secret knowledge about mounting conti's, but i even have learned how to mount 'em without tools)

Bottom Line:
this tire is not perfect, but very close to.

i'm lazy, and i hate tire swapping procedure, so i was looking for all-rounder to ride either in the city or our local trails and doing dirt jumping. got a pair of traffic 2.1' and love them.

this tire is excellent for any hard surfaces, either dry or wet.

it also behaves confidently on muddy or sandy trails. i've done such things as 118 km of plain mud or 80 km of the sands, nothing too technical, just a lot of mud or sand, — and always kept in line with guys on nobby nic's.

i ride a lot — bike 2 work, local trails after work, 120—200 km virtually every saturday and local trails again on sundays — but it appears to be hard to wear off.

dont't know what to say about price, since i'm not rich enough to afford buying cheap trash.

the only real drawback is weight, it is heavy (850g). no big deal for a tough bike like my voltage (16kg), but now i got a full-suspension all-mountain bike and want to keep it under 13kg, so looking for something similar but lightweight, still with no success :(

Favorite Trail:   local trails

Purchased At:   velosiped.com

Similar Products Used:   unfortunately, i don't know anything i could call SIMILAR. other tires i've used are scott voltage 2.1', conti gravity, conti explorer.

Bike Setup:   scott voltage YZ0 (2006) with the following upgrades: rock shox argyle 302; sram x-9 derailleurs & shifters; mavic ex729 / atomlab GI / dt swiss champion wheels

Submitted by stingray_coach a Weekend Warrior from Germany

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2008

Strengths:    Roll super fast, quiet, super sexy look, easy to install.

Bottom Line:
I love these tires and am going to buy another set for my wife. The trails here are not too tech, plus most cross long stretches of road...so these work well for me.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Jensen

Similar Products Used:   Panracers

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F900

Submitted by Boston Baked Bean a Cross Country Rider from santa barbara, ca

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2008

Strengths:    Nice smooth ride and quiet. Swapped them for the old knobbies on my MTB and felt immediate difference. Happy so far.

Weaknesses:    Like some of the other posts noted, they are somewhat wobbly/not round but for the riding I do I just don't care about that sort of thing. Price$$

Bottom Line:
I think they were a tad on the pricey side but I think that may be more my local shop than anything. I've seen them all over the web in the low $20s but who wants to wait/pay for shipping when you get instant gratification at the shop.

Purchased At:   Velo Pro

Similar Products Used:   Fist time I've swapped out my originals.

Bike Setup:   raleigh M60 converted for street, surly 1x1 forks, soon to be a single speed.

Submitted by 07dbrider a Weekend Warrior from richmond

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2008

Strengths:    very quiet, fast rolling, good traction off road

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
very good tire for the money. they are a lot quieter then my old kenda claws and still have good traction on and off road.

i would recomend these tires to a friend

Purchased At:   performance bike